Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b_cz10

Sharifa Asma vs. Queen of Sweden & Princess A. of Kent vs. Mary Rose

Bc _zone10b
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a spot in a garden I'm designing to plant a rose in the light pink/white color range and wonder what everyone's opinions might be on these two are. I have 2 Imogens that I planted for white tones...and the flowers don't seem to last long on the plant. Can't tell if that will change as they mature. Other than that fault, it's healthy and has thrown out some long 6 ft canes.

Would rather a plant that has more of a traditional bush shape or upright form like I've read Queen and Sharifa can have....since it's ground level and I don't want long tentacles everywhere with flowers on the ground. Right now I'm thinking Sharifa because I hear the smell's amazing. Below are some pictures of Imogen's flowers in case anyone hasn't seen Imogen before-

***EDIT: Also curious which you might pick between Princess Alexander of Kent and Mary Rose. Looking for an sturdy bush in that deep raspberry color that fades to lilac-pink. Any thoughts? (sorry for the edit...trying to focus on something other than the news today after late night. Roses are a good distraction)

Comments (92)

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b - Aaron thanks for the recommendations. I ordered some Sharifa and had already ordered Gentle Hermione based on some videos I saw where the coloration did indeed make it look glowing. I'm glad you like it too, gives me hope that this "white/blush" area will look nice.

Nice to see another rose grower from my zone! Do you have any other Austins you might recommend to someone new to them? I just started trying roses this year and curious what does well for you in our zone. Thanks again! Feel free to post pictures of any of your favorites, would love to see

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

I just started this year, too! I can't speak to winter dieback at all. I can say that my Scepter'd Isle roses bloomed pretty continuously their first year, and so did my Winchester Cathedral and Lady Gardener roses. I also bought two Heritage from ARE but they've yet to bloom. I also love Eglantyne--I got it direct from DA (as well as gentle hermione and queen of sweden) and it's my largest rose bush by far, and while the roses nod they're still incredibly beautiful. I just bought Perdita and she seems to be doing well also. I also planted Sharifa Asma and Nahema in this zone even though I think Nahema isn't cold hardy....it's against a house wall so I'm going to see how she does with that.

Non-DAs are really pretty, too! I bought two Earth Angels from FGL/Stargazer, Quietness and Francis Meilland from Heirloom, and Morden Blush from High Country Roses--Morden Blush is almost constantly in bloom also, even into November! I also bought two Eden roses (also have yet to bloom). My FIrst Crush, New Dawn, Awakening, and Cecile Brunner roses didn't bloom this year either. I'm kicking Madame Anisette around also--it's got such pretty flowers and apparently blooms abundantly.....but may not have the room.

I also wanted an OGR or two so bought Clotilde Soupert and Souvenir de la Malmaison from ARE. I also have two Blanc Double de Coubert roses which I suspect will do fine over the winter.

What about you? Any words to the wise? What are you looking to do with your garden? My mom calls my colors "anemic"--they're all light pink or light apricot or light yellow or white. I have exactly one rose that's a bit punchier--I bought Plum Perfect more to prove to my mom that I wasn't afraid of color :)

Any flowers you're growing alongside your roses? I threw a bunch of peony and clematis roots in the ground and am going to see what comes up!

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b Sounds like you jumped in the deep end like I did ;) Those all sounds great. I am so new to roses that I have very little advice sadly. I'm glad to hear Scepter bloomed a lot for you, looks like a pretty rose. I have my eye on too many...my list is so long but it's been a fun new hobby during quarantine. Glad you like Eglantyne! I have 2 coming next year. Was actually curious about Nahema and our zone, so it will be interesting to hear how she does for you. Same with all the non-austins. Been eyeing most of the ones you picked out I think.

Here is what I planted this year...I guess I am going to break them down into pre-amended bed list and then new bed list. My soil is pretty rocky clay here. My "pre-amended" beds are in two big garden beds that were made when I had construction on my property 3 years ago. Basically the entire area of yard was dug up to install a pool and so a lot of fresh topsoil and mulch was added to those beds. My new beds that I planted this year were all hand done. Didn't have machines to dig them out so I did my best with way too much digging.

Pre-amended:

-2 Westerlands: Grew gigantic....12 ft canes on one. Each grew very thick canes, good amount of flowers. Training them against my patio wall and they seem to be doing well. Flowers aren't as complex as others, but they kind of have a tropical/hibiscus vibe to them and are a really saturated orange-red that pops nicely against all my grasses and perennials in the beds.

-2 Bathsheba: 6 ft tall, lots of healthy new growth. 3 flushes of flowers with a few scattered between over the summer. Beautiful flowers, some of my favorites.

-1 Graham Thomas: 6 ft tall....one main flush and few flowers scattered. Bold yellow like my Julia Child....not much color change.

-1 Pilgrim: 10+ ft canes. 2 flushes of flowers but not a lot. Lots of growth. Thicker canes than Bathsheba or GT (in same bed as those)

-1 New Dawn: 10 ft canes. Healthy but not tons of flowers.

-1 Cream Veranda: 2x2 ft or so. Started off a tiny twig, looked horrible. Finally grew lots of new canes and flowers. Flowered all season once it got those new canes out. Still trying to flower

-Claire Austin: I don't even think these grew new canes...maybe. Haven't done much but did have a few beautiful flowers. They fell off the plant in a day or two though. Not a favorite yet.

-1 Julia Child: 4x4 ft - Really healthy, healthy leaves and flowered all season. Bold yellow that turns to pinks/salmons in cooler weather.

New Beds:

Biggest difference here so far - less new growth, and more blackspot/yellow leaves. I'm assuming it's because the soil isn't as loose/fluffy as those older beds. Not sure what else could be causing issues, but once October hit, the leaves on most of these have gone yellow/spotty.

-4 New Dawns: Lots of new growth, 15 ft canes on some that are easily trained. I guess they're more thorny than others (so i've read) ? Doesn't seem any more than ones I have here hah. I wish the others were less thorny!

-Crown Princess Margareta: I really love the flowers on this thing. They range from sherbet orangey raspberry to light pinks/yellows. I think you might like it if you like the pastel colors like I do. Grew 2 canes about 6 ft long....then stopped growing. There's a little new growth here and there but not sure what happened.

-3 Strawberry Hills: Beautiful salmony pink flowers that fade to a cooler pink. I like it...but had it's spring flush then stopped growing until September. Now all three have long 5 ft canes and new growth.

-3 Colette: 2 planted next to each other, 1 in a diff new bed area. Started off as tiny sticks. 2 are sttill tiny sticks with new growth, but thin. The 2 planted next to each other did nothing for 3 months, but then one took off and has 5 ft cane and flowered a little. It's directly next to the other (about 4 ft away but same bed).....but it's now 4x it's size.

-2 Jubilee Celebrations : I love this plant. No tall canes, probably 3.5 ft long, new thicker canes. Gigantic beautiful flowers. Always flowering.

-3 Carding Mill: Other favorite after Jubilee Celebration. Lots of new growth, more evenly spaced rounded growth form. The three wouldn't stop flowering all season. Great plants

-2 Olivia Austin: When the flowers are big and full, they're beautiful cold pinks with bold centers. Love them, but the bush has lots of yellowing of leaves and spotting on them now with fall. Nice round bush shape though, and even growth pattern.

-2 Imogen: Grew 6 or 7 ft long canes. Pretty white flowers but they fall apart faster than Claire Austin. Thorns are insane on this thing.....makes the New Dawns look tame. They're a glowing red color though and I kind of like the thorns.

The description your mom gave sounds like my color palette at times hah :)

I did find that certain roses seemed to fade more in the sun for whatever reason. I liked that though, it made the flowers interesting to watch. You might like Carding Mill. It would change from the super bold cadmium red orange, to beautiful shades of pink and orange pastels. So it had that first "punch" but the flowers stayed on the bushes long so you could watch them become all the pastels.

I have a lot of roses coming in the spring time for new beds I made this past summer. Can't wait to see how they do. Maybe all of these from this year will die over winter...I have no idea hah. I hope not, since I was always intimidated to try roses before this year after their reputation of being difficult.

I have to look some of the ones you listed up, I recognize some of the names but can't remember them all yet. I am definitely diving into the deep end which I know I shouldn't do, but I had never seen a rose look like the complex, ruffled Austin I saw at my nursery this past spring and fell in love with them. I found a rose grower about 3 miles upstate from me who sells roses and he told me some good Austins (included below) for zone 4 (I'm 5). Also just searching this forum and asking questions helped a lot. Everyone is so helpful and honest with their growing experiences it seems, which really helps narrow my list of roses down.

Here's what I ordered for next year for one area I'm planning a bed for. I've been trying to mix in some bold colors along with all the pastels I like since it seems even bold colors fade towards pastels in my full sun yard...so I figure with time the flowers will blend in different ways.

Mary Rose

Lady of Shalott

Lady Emma Hamilton

Boscobel

James Galway

Spirit of Freedom

Tamora

Ambridge

Abe Darby

Jude the Obscure

Desdemona

Emily Bronte

Gentle Hermione

Sharifa Asma

Eglantyne

Besides this helpful forum, HelpMeFind website is great (sorry if you already know about it). Took me a minute to figure out how to use it, but you can look at the photos and see the grow zones for each picture to help get an idea of sizing. They also have a helpful comment section for the roses.

I haven't figured out all the other perennials I want to plant with roses yet, I'm too picky about color. I'm going to order a lot of Sweet Alyssum though. Read in a few places that it helps attract bugs that eat thrips and rose pests. I also really love Queen Anne's Lace and have some growing here. They spread easily and seem to like it, and are full of wasps, mantis and other bugs which I like. I'm planning to do a big patch of it somewhere and sticking a bench in the middle. Maybe a rose or two will end up on either side of the bench.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

I really like peonies mixed in with the roses. I know they only bloom once but then their foliage looks really nice with the roses.

Bc _zone10b thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Steven - I like the partial reversal roses better than either Mary Rose or WC!! Such a unique look!!

B - yeah, for the longest time I've had a real hate for the ants. Now I just let them be.

Aaron - do you have any pictures to share? When I grew Morden Blush (we moved, so I no longer have it)...it bloomed nonstop...almost always completely covered in bloom...and I didn't even fertilize it. What a fabulous rose!! It will be great next year to see pictures of your monochromatic (almost) rose garden. I bet it will look very elegant!

Bc _zone10b thanked rosecanadian
  • Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

@Bc _zone10b I thought I responded to you! I'm so sorry!! I think you got a great haul and definitely notice some similarities in preference :) How has your New Dawn been doing? Mine is a bit scraggly and not doing much. Colette is such a stunning rose, too. Did you see @strawchicago z5's post about how various soil amendments can affect color? I thought it was really interesting and am going to try to use it to my advantage--every rose will be anemic and have the bare suggestion of color :p

How have you been wintering for your project? I personally have used the dormancy to identify where bushes might need to be moved/replanted, and redraw a schematic for any plans. And HMF has been a godsend. I initially was like "what is this Angelfire nightmare from 1999 that I keep getting sent to when I google things?" and then I actually looked at it.

And I'm incredibly curious about the Austin that kicked off the whole obsession--do you know the name? I'd love to see what it looks like!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

I have Mary Rose, a true med light pink. After 2-3 years tgey can be full-hardy bushes. Small roses, pretty in hedge. Fall off in flower arrangements in 2 days about. Love mine. Has tons blooms.

Princess Alexandria of Kent is larger bus, more flowers, but can change to pink-coral at times. I just ordered it for spring.

Heirloom Rose, fragrant.pink-lilac rose! Available at Heirloom Roses, below...

Orchid Romance, or called Baie des Anges, a Meilland Jardin & Parfum/Romantica Rose is best pink-lilac rose. May be found at Regan Nursery or Im not sure? I’m trying to buy it now for spring! Very fragrant. Used at florist. a FAVORITE OF MINE!!!!!!!! Below...

Outta the Blue Rose, Deep Pink-Lilac, I have. Intense, pretty English appearance Below... bought at Jackson & Perkins....

and Dee-lish Rose or called Line Renaud...a. Meilland Rose. .fushia, very pretty dark glossy leaves, robust tall, hardy disease resistan-Just planted it in end of summer and it’s making it through winter well-didn’t even loose leaves yet by JAN first 2020. Verbena & citrus scent,. popular. Heirloom roses and others sell it.

I could suggest more! I look at all the pinks on the market almost! My favorites!

Have fun!

Kitty

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Wow, Kitty!! My fave is your Ebb Tide!!! Luscious color!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Rosecanadian,

Thank you. I don’t have Ebb Tode Rose,. It is beautiful!, deep purple and sometimes pink. Do you have any photos of yours Ebb Tide?

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

I have PAOK on my DA order but need to replace her as I found out she can get BS ridden. I am in VA, humid, hot, lots of rain= lots of Blackspot. Which DA would do well, looking for health and good repeat blooming.

was considering the following but only one..Sharifa Asma, Wild eve, Harlow Carr, wollerton old hall, raold dahl or any new suggestions.

I have the following ( poets wife, molineaux, jubilee celebration, crown argartaargaret

margareta, los, sophy - no bs yet, Abe Darby) boscobel, fair Bianca, lichfeild angel and Evelyn will arrive in spring.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Kitty - Ooops... I meant to say Outta the Blue. LOL No, I don't have Ebb Tide either. :)

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, 111plisa Su,

I live in NY and it rains year around. I have 78 roses now and only “Heirloom Rose” gets black spot. I just research each rose before purchase to see it is disease resistant to black spot. I don’t

have yet the varieties you mentioned except Lichfield Angel., and it has no black spot.

However, I suggest you look for “hardy vigorous,” roses when possible.

I suggest buying roses with “dark green glossy leaves or that say vigorous.” as one idea.

I live in Geneva NY. If your weather is like mine-I think your DA choice s will be fine. Do you live near coast or in mid-Virginia? How much rain?

I lived in Oregon and never had black spot on my 30 roses, then. It rains a lot in Portland, OR.

I have several DA roses all disease resistant and no issues with black spot.

I think your choices in DA may be good, research each to make sure.

Harliw Carr I think is very vigorous and popular.

I found recently a lot of Meilland Romantica roses, very fragrant, hardy disease resistant, dark glossy leaves that look like “old English roses,” and very hardy.... and a few others.... (I just ordered the below roses... so these are jare pics....

Meilland Francis

Ives Piaget

Princesse Charlene de Monaco

2 more hardy glossy leaves roses: Dee-lush and Flameco Rosita.

Have fun!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

B_zone B ,

lively choice in roses. It would be fun to see photos of your rises. Sounds like you have big plans for lots of roses. Love your picks. Where do you live? Hopefully you winterize your rises and tgen tgey will mostly make it.

Kock out roses can be pretty too snd tgey are the easiest and most winter hardy roses. I have Double Pink Kick Out and Ted Knoxk Out-both bloom all summer and last no matter what you do.

mist of my roses Di five in winter.... I put burlap over some new planted ones in fall. But we are having such a mild winter-tgey all should do well for you and ne this years!!!!!!

Cant wait for spring blooms!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Aaron,

I am excited to see your lovely pick of roses bloom. I like the solf pinks, whites, creams, peaches too. But I do like fushias and bold yellows like Michael Angelo, too! Whatever, you love, enjoy! post your rose photos!

I can’t wait until my first Meilland Jardin & Parfum/Romantica roses bloom! I am also trying to buy Cream Ives Piaget by Meilland. The Meilland Romantica roses look very English and amazingly strong fragrant!!!! I am in love!!

Cream Ives Piaget

how elegant!!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Friends,

Garden.Org has a “Rose Forum,” which is fun, too. I do the “Rose Forum Photos & Chat,” monthly. Click on “January,” and meet lots of rosarians! It’s fun, too.

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

@KittyNYz6 thank you so much. I am at Richmond VA, I think our weather is similar but we don’t get too cold here. All the DA‘s except sophys ( new and first year) get BS. Abe Darby shrugs it off and keeps going. Poets wife keeps blooming but also defoliates completely often due to BS. Your Cream Yves Piaget is so stunning. I have Dee-Lish and love the blooms and fragrance

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

I've never heard of Cream Yves Piaget...I think it may be even more beautiful than the regular Yves Piaget!!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Rosecanadian and Plisa Su,

Love Cream Yves Piaget ( Classic Woman.)!

I am having difficulty finding a nursery to buy it. One florist is trying to order it from S America and ship Bush to m e as they normally get it for cut flowers. Heirloom Roses in Oregon may start propagating it next year, we hope!!!!! Call them and ask? if you would like it, too.

Plisa Su,

Looks like your roses get too little sun and damp too often, don’t dry out enough.. Roses really need 6 and more hours sun. I am designing whole yard to accommodate my roses. I am building a trellis fence around yard so sun won’t block out entirely. I use sides, front snd back yard in places where best sun light for over 6 hours if possible. I have trees removed if shade too much. On one shade side of home there are no roses as it is not enough sun.

You can spray for black spot and you are supposed to temove all black spot leaves near any of your roses so it won’t spread. I don’t let any dead leaves of any olant/tree near my roses as they carry diseases. I just buy good mulch and keep it really clean near roses.

its winter now.... so in spring let me know if You are able to improve things. In spring clean up all leaves around roses., prune off and see if you can have a better growing season.

Hope this helps?

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

@KittyNYz6, thank you, would Love to see pics of your yard. all the roses are in full sun. I don’t have any big trees in my front yard. It can get very hot in summer, which is when most roses either stop or the blooms fry. It’s the rain, rains a lot. And because I don’t spray, I think BS just jumps across all the plants. I am defoliating all the plants now, which is quite a chore with monster kordes’s..Savannah and madame anisette are ever green and 9-10 ft.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

Online there are lists of roses immune to black spot such as on walterreeves.com tons of hybrid teas, floribundas, grandifloraas and more...

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

I have been newly landscaping in last 2 years. My designs are 1/2 (30) new roses planted in front yard a year ago so starting to bloom and about 35 roses most haven't bloomed yet in back/side yard and 12 roses-my favorites ordered already for spring=78.

I planned roses on front yard: hills and garden beds near home. Then I have rose beds on one side of home and near white arbor.. In back yard, it’s fresh new landscape last summer with part 5 ft trellis fence started-but I plan to put in another permanent 6 ft trellis fence on each side instead next summer. Roses are along border of each side of back yard and I ordered 8 new roses to put on back hill and near the bottom of hill in center back yard. i have 1 circle vegetables gsrden but plan to have 2 in mid-center if back yard. All trees are young. In a couple years toses should grow up sides of back yard on trellis fences. I wanted for now open space in middle of backvyard for my dog to run, but all sides will be surrounded by roses.

I cleared the ground myself and had a gardener help me spread dirt and plant all new grass seeds and sometimes roses. My son helped with the gardens, too.

In front yard are Double Pink Knock Out Roses and English roses, Hybrid Teas, as well as minis and Drift: (Knock Outs & Drift are black spot resistant.)

Pink Double Knock Outs

Peach Drift

I don’t have photos of designs of front yard-just lots individual roses Zi will share later.

I will take them next summer.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

My back yard Ive begun all new landscaping last summer....roses just planted but in some pictures such as the Arbor roses are not in the photo yet....

side back yard with arbor and new stone path...

Back yard hill... new landscaping... 8 English roses coming to put at bottom of it and on it, in center.

35 roses newly planted in above photos in August, Sept, Oct, and Nov 2020. I can’t wait until they grow This spring in a splash of color!!!!! My dream come true!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

Some photos of glossy green leaves on my roses...all roses newly blooming...I think they are easily more healthy....

Apricot n’ Cream Rose

Dorothy Perkins Tree Rose on my front lawn

Flamenco Rosita Rose

Walking on Sunshine Rose

My favorites are the Meilland roses I mentioned above which I ordered ”all with dark green glossy leaves: “. Francis Meilland, Ives Piaget, Cream Ives Piaget, Orchid Romance-I expect hardy disease resistan.t! The Parfumes of these are exquisite!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Lisa Su,

I planted 11 climbe

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

Some favorites in my gardens for a year blooming...

Grand Dame, front hill

Polar Express

Moonlight Magic, side front yard

Mary Rose, front yard

Heirloom Rose, front yard

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

It’s easier to post photos on Garden.Org rose forum I am on. If I post too many photos above...it bounces and removes the post.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    3 years ago

Kitty, Thanks for your photos. I've never known that Polar Express can be so yellow!

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

@KittyNYz6 Thank you so much for the pictures! I have grande dame, Francis Meilland, and moonlight magic, the fragrance is outstanding. They do get some BS but are able to shake it off. I am getting orchid romance in spring. Your yard is going to be beautiful in spring. I love orchid n cream, Dorothy Perkins( think it is an antique rose) .

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

My Polar Express definitely has some yellow but not like that!

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

@KittyNYz6 i am setting up something similar, making a rose border along the backyard fence. It’s taking @ while because lugging in all the extra soil takes a lot of work. I might need to get some help there. Have 50 roses coming in spring and need to be ready for them.

@oursteelers 8B PNW wow that is so floriferous, beautiful! Love yellow roses!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

How many roses will you have after your new 50? What did you order? I’d love to hear more about your designs. Cool! We seem to like the same roses. I’m so excited to get Francis Meilland.. And Moonlight Magic blooms so well-lots of blooms. And I have 2 Grand Dames-love their fragrance! Love to see photos of your rioses. Orchid Romance is a lovely Romantica!!!

My neighbor and my son carried solid bags fir me. Great to get assistance. Dorothy Perkins can be a tree or a climber. It should be very showy as a tree eventually.! Apricots n’ Cream you can get at Heirloom roses-do you have it? I love it and it’s so hardy!

Steeler,

In the fall Polar Express surprised me with a lot of yellow...usually white with a tad of yellow. Your pictures of it are beautiful!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

Hybrid Musk Roses are hardy, disease resistant and need less sun...even 5 hours and grow in some shade so BS may be less an issue for you.

These 2 Hybrid Musks would be fun to order, food for thought:

Lexy, A Hybrid Musk

Lavender Lassie, A HM

I am curious what are the 50 roses you ordered? Wow...that’s a lot.

And I just ordered Classic Woman (Cream Ives Piaget,) from Roses Unlimited!!! I found it, finally!!! Yea! They specialize in rare roses!!! A Houzz member helped me find it there!

Happy Gardening!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

I love Lexy!! Wow ♡

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

@Kitty Lexy looks beautiful, love the bloom form! Thank you!! I blame the buying frenzy on kenneth's facebook group- rose addicts. Many rose enablers there, providing endless temptation with all their beautiful pictures.

Witherspoon (classics like ingrid bergman, firefighter, crimson bouquet, le petit prince, rk witherspoon, white licorice, celestial night, violets pride, dream come true, sunset celebration, leibeszauber, easy does it, marlyn monroe, plum perfect, hot cocoa, st patrick)

Regan(orchid romance, elle, michaelangelo, centennial star, Nicole Miller, cherry parfait, pink flamingo)

Palatine(augusta luise, garden delight, summer sun, south africa, amour de molene)

antique rose emporium(gypsy sue, madame antonie marie, br cant, icecap, star of the republic, dame de coeur, quicksilver, lady of shallot, souvenir de la malmaison, souvenir de st ann)

raft island roses(evelyn, fair bianca, boscobel, lichfiield angel)

David austin(gabriel oak, eustacia vye, olivia, generaous gardener, vanessa bell)

Palatine(whenever they open sales on older austins- pretty jessica, potter and moore, wise portia, radio times)

Rose petal nursery(Nur Mahal, Sorority Tea, , Ferndale Red China,, Dr. Grill,, Annie Laurie McDowell)

Edmunds(state of grace, all dressed up, waiheke), moonlight in paris)

I am so glad the local Lowe's has not started selling their roses yet....:

Ofcourse that is more than 50 but I am sticking with that number :D oof I know I went crazy this year.

I think that's all for now :D

Roses unlimited- I have been eying some barni roses like etrusca, robert capucci, versigny , english perfume and tchaikovsky..but not this year.. I won't have any space left and I already have a big pot ghetto. not sure how to cure rose addiction ;)

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

@Bc _zone10b did you decide which one you are going to get? I had PAOK in my list but I was told in humid areas it's a blackspot magnet and had to take it out- DA confirmed it , they said she will need spraying . I replaced her with generous gardener- light pink, very fragrant , healthy and vigorous

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR Your boscobel is amazing! I am looking forward to it's arrival.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su,

What an amazing list of roses.... how many roses will you have total when they are all planted? I am going to look them all up And the nurseries. Some nurseries I have not used before... I will check them out. And I’m going to look at Kenneth’s Facebook. I love joining this rose community!!!

I would love to see some of your rose photos? Favorites?

B_zone5b

Yes, did you decide on a rose to order?

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Pslisa Su & Friends,

i looked at the new nursery today with over 400 antique roses called, “Rose Petals Niursery,” Thank you Plisa Su! I was overwhelmed looking at their stock. It’s outstanding!!!!!!

I ordered a few roses today from Rose Petals Nursery, but many favorites are growing not yet available...tons of pictures...Have fun! Take a peak at the Nursery online....

I ordered 3 from this nursery:

1. Queen Elizabeth Rose (I have a daughter Elizabeth so it reminds me of her,)

2. Florence Bowers Pink Tea Rose, 14ft climber, blooms continuous.

3. Tamalpais Homestead Teas Rose, blooms continuous 7-12,ft.

Then I’m waiting to order these 2 roses when available:

E. Veyrat Hermanos (Sunset), 10ft Climber.

Davis Store Rose , almost thornless, luscious , fragrant, 1897.

There are so many lovely roses on this sight I could look at photos all day!!!!!!

Happy Gardening!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Kitty, what great choices. Please post as many photos as you can, please.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Sheila,

Thank you!

Are you involved with Rogue Valley Roses, OR? Great place to order roses!!! Huge inventor!

David Store Rose is now available at Rose Petal Nursery so I’m ordering it today! Woohoo!

Have a lovely day!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Plisa Su, Sheila, Rosecanadia, and Friends,

I just ordered from Rose Petals Nursery my last 3 roses for the week. These are so popular they keep saying sold out. Cydney, owner, called And helped me order them:

E. Veyrat Hermanos (Sunset) and Davis Rose above in my posting ...

and I ordered....

Benny Lopez, A Damask Hybrid Perpetual below...

it is said to bloom perpetually and lots of blooms!!!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I can't wait for photos, Kitty.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Lisa Su, and Friends,

I guess I caught rose fever and took to ordering and planning more roses for spring in last few days to add to above orders.... I started looking up your roses and found ones I wished to add to my gardens... so I have ordered a few more also.....

Souvenir de la Malmaison, Boubon 1843 rose, strong fragrance...nice big bush w/big blooms....for my femce border...

Clotilde Soupert, polyantha , nearly thornless, strong moderate fragrance...actually may be a small rose that blooms in intense clusters like The Fairy...for my front hillside ground cover...

And I’m planning on adding China Doll polyantha and Elegant Fairy Tale Roses to lower part of back yard hill, waiting for them to come available to order....

Oh, to plan my dream gardens. I now am up to 88 roses... roses in front yard...roses down side of house and lining back yard and some on hill by spring.... 20 new roses so far coming to plant....fun..fun....

Soon to sleep...per chance to dream...of roses...roses...roses.... oh, my!

Post your photos, too? What are you favorites to have this spring?

Happy Gardening!

Kitty

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

PlisaSu, and Friends,

I’d love to see you join our “ Roses Forum, Photos & Chat,” thread on Garden.org

a few people post their large rose garden photos weekly all year around on that thread and we all comment.... You can see a rose garden weekly in Australia and one in Hawaii and those that live in NY, Michigan and all over!!! (The site’s thread is designed for photos so it post well, such as 18 photos at a time.”

PlisaSu,

I am excited to see your new 50 roses in your garden when it’s planted in the spring!!! I’m sure it will be spectacular!

Otherwise, I will look for you on this forum in the spring and your lush gardens!

Kitty

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Friends,

Recent ordered roses for my garden for spring..

Queen Elizabeth

A Kordes Polyantha (mini bush): Lion’s Fairy Tale,

Michaelangelo (A Meilland Romantica)

Leonardo Di Vinci (Meilland Romantica)

A few to spice up the garden...

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago

Kitty: I enjoy all your roses' pics., also your cute white poodle !! Love to hear more about that precious dog. Thanks.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Strawchicago,

You may join me on “Garden.org , Rose Forum., Photos & Chat fir more weekly rose photos and chatting... We have a large group of rose gardeners and to hear about my “large puppy,” Anastasi, my standard poodle.

Anastasis, 2 yr old, standard poodle, our toddler...

Pink Weeping Tree Rose

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago

Kitty: Your poodle looks very smart !! Husband remarked, "it's a a big poodle", but I think Anastasis is fashionable. Thank you for that link, will check it out. Love that pink rose you posted.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Strawchicag,

Thank you! Anastasia is a larger than average standard poodle. Little tall. Great watch dog snd companion. I post roses weekly on the Rose Forum.

This is a Pink Weeping Tree Rose,” I think it is from Aloha, Boerner Climbing Rose.

Happy Gardenin!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Kitty, I love your above comment, " my three Rose's for this week!" ;)

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Thanks, Vaporvac,

With 68 roses planted, 22 roses ordeted for spring to equal 90 roses.... for my gardens , and “my Rose Fever,” it is still difficult to hold back on buying any more roses...

I have my eye on a James Galway Climber rose, China Doll, and some Fairy Tale or polyantha roses. But China Doll, the Sister’s Fairy Tale , Elegant Fairy Tale are sold out for now....idifficult to find.

These 3 mini types of roses bushes are sooooo beautiful: and great for my back hillside...when I order them... when they ever come available:

China Doll Rose

Elegant Fairy Rose

Sister’s Fairy Rose

Palatine Rosess & Regan’s Nursery sell some of them...but sold out!

Happy Gardening!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville