Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mysticwaves_zone7a

Is it too late to plant roses in Northern Virginia 7a

mysticwaves_zone7a
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I got some rose plants from Antique rose emporium. We have great weather high 70s and low 50s for the next 10 days and high 60s after that for a few days. So i have couple of weeks of great weather, dont know about late Nov.

Can i go ahead and plant them. Some places say its advisable to plant 6 weeks before frost. What are my options? Should i just leave them in pots or just go ahead and plant. Our winters have been mild last couple years.

Edited to add: I am guessing late November around thanksgiving will be our first frost. Can i plant now and mulch it well?

Comments (13)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I hope so because I'm still planting here in Z6! I've done this every year with good results and the real question is when the soil freezes and how heavy is your soil. It's not the canes I'm worried about as much as the roots. ARE have well-developed root systems, however hopefully someone from your locale will pipe in. What roses are these?

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I already planted Lady of Shallot and Abraham Darby, (both from ARE one week back.

I still have quietness and Belindas dream from ARE and also princess charlene de monaco and bolero from fresh garden living on Etsy.

• mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Had read about not planting them right away. so i let them grow and leaf out. After planting the first two last week i read at the heirloom site about planting 6 weeks before frost. So I am confused.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    3 years ago

I leave roses in pots outdoors all winter here in 7A. I don't see that it would be worse to have them in the ground. Of course it is dry here, though, if that makes a difference. We don't get freeze/thaw heaving.

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Erica Zone7a-NOVA
    3 years ago

I think you will be fine! I planted mine two weeks ago and there was a frost alert last night in Fairfax county. I did not do anything - the roses seem to be fine today. It seems like our weather will be warm enough for another 2-3 weeks before any real frost.

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked Erica Zone7a-NOVA
  • mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all. I planted all of them this morning.

Hey Erica, Nice meeting a fellow gardener from NOVA. Yes, i guess weather will be fine until late November.

• Cathy Kaufell
    3 years ago

Fertilize them in late February or early March,

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked Cathy Kaufell
  • Erica Zone7a-NOVA
    3 years ago

Mysticwaves: glad to find you too! I’ve found planting rose in our area not easy at all!

• mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yep. Tried Easy does it and couple more earlier this summer in a new bed. Due to poor drainage, the plant struggled. Our soil is so bad:(

Have moved it to now to an existing bed with better drainage and this evening i amended the new bed with soild amendments. Lets see how it fares next spring when i plant the bare roots that i have preordered.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Another northern VA person here! I love roses, but don't have any. The previous owner of our home had roses. He must have really made over the area that was his rose garden, because the soil there is so much better than the rest of our yard. He took all his roses with him when he moved. Most of the yard/gardens is heavy clay. Sigh.

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Erica Zone7a-NOVA
    3 years ago

We redid two beds in the yard. I’m glad the previous owners mulch those areas of the yard every year or so, the top layer of soil is very good. I had “at last” in the garden since this spring and added Desdemona & lichfield angel several weeks ago. At Last was doing really well for the whole season.

my major concern is fungi disease. We had too much rain lately!

• mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey Cyn427, Nice to see u here. Yes, dealing with terrible clay soil thats not draining:(

My existing older beds are fine, but i have other perennials there, so trying to make space for the roses.

Erica, Atlast rose is another one that i moved recently to the older bed. It was struggling in the new bed and then i figured from experts here that its the poor drainage issue.