Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tahial

How to make this space into working library w/ reading nook?

Tahia Lorenzo
10 years ago
This space is at the top of the stairs of my row-house. It's an open space in between the home's three bedrooms. My ideal is to have a working office & library with a cozy reading nook. We tons of books, so I was thinking at least a complete wall of book shelves. The only thing in the room that must stay is the hardwood floor. Also, I'd prefer to have as little remodeling/building as possible. THANKS.

Comments (33)

• Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are three more pics.
  • bonnielynn75
    10 years ago
    OK! first, I would paint the room a warm shade of a favourite colour, paint the door trim and the baseboards white. Move the love seat to the wall where the desk is., put an ottoman in front of it. Underneath all of them a nice rug. re-hang the family portrait above the sofa at lower height. Hang panel curtins on the window. Create a desk area when the sofa had been. Above the desk mount a large book shelve or perhaps an armore to house everything and close when not in use.

On the opposite wall an entire wall of book cases eg Billy by ikea. You can buy the tme to fit and go right to the ceiling. Take the 2 photos from the wall and re hang them near the desk, much closer together and not as high as in the photo. Add a green plant and some extra colour on the sofa with pillow and a throw. I think this would make the area more functional and inviting.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, liked both bonnie's & deco's suggestions, so I started right away and tried a "blend" of your ideas with what I have. Please give me some pointers on whether the bookshelf should go on the opposite wall of the desk (since it does not cover the entire wall). Also, what about the chair? Stay or go?
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I like that idea too but for this week? What do you think would look the least bad with what I've got now?
  • Dorota Mitoraj
    10 years ago
    You can make it cozy but adding a beautiful rug.
    Some ideas from my collection. More on www.domirugs.com
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oops! Just saw an immediate obstacle. All outlets and Internet connections are on the wall where I just put the desk, the one where the window is. So, any variation on deco's & Eztia's that will work for short time range?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think I would put that leather chair over by the window....nice window to read by. Put the tall floor lamp beside it. Leave the desk on the wall where it needs to be, but TURN it so it faces the chair by the window and juts out in to the room a bit. Slide the tall book shelf down so it is where the love seat is now and have the love seat on the wall that faces the window. Will it fit with the desk pulled out?

When you put the books on the tall shelf, do not make it look like a library with them all lined up. Have some lying down, too, so there is a decorative look to the shelves.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Abbyjean. Does this mean than the back of the desk will face the stairway, closing in the space? Just asking because I'm about to move it right now and want to get it right.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I think so.....I am having a hard time getting the floor layout figured out, but yes, when you sit in the chair at the desk, you would look at the person sitting in the chair by the window.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Move your desk back where it originally was but turn it so your back is to the wall. Move your bookcase left of the window where the desk was in the last picture. I don't think you need the small sofa.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, will try & then post
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Deco, & my reading nook?
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's this new proposal. What do you think? The change is again adaptation of good ideas, which I did mostly due to wiring issues and not having anywhere to put the love seat right now.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A view of the reading nook in progress.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I like it and think it feels cozy. How does it feel to YOU???
    It will feel differently, too, when the shelves have things on them and you hang up the pic of the two girls....I liked that for this room.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good too...for now, until I check out book cases and maybe built ins. I'll also shop for more functional desk, love seat, and chair. Thanks for your great eye for a quick fix. I can now start my week right.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, and the pic of the two girls are my mom and my husband's mom when they were kids.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I love quick fixes and no money spent! Nuttin' better than that!!! AND I know what you mean by starting the week right....having rooms feel right can just do that to you!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    They knew each other as kids? What fun! That makes it a very special picture!!!
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, I'm really done for the night now. Here it is.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Do you know what really makes me smile? Someone using this room! I would be sitting in that chair the same way!
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Abbyjean.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Have theeee best week ever!!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    When you start thinking about a permanent solution, you might consider a more slender desk tucked into the corner. I feel the room is a bit blocked up with the desk on the perpendicular, but something in the corner that uses both walls (cord chases can help reach outlets) will open the room better.
    Louis & Dominika's Bookwormish Home Office · More Info

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Whole Home Remodel, Chevy Chase, MD · More Info

Ridgeway Residence · More Info
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Deco, I was thinking the same thing. Wish I knew how to upload pics from my idea book to this discussion. You'd get a better idea of my dream space - very similar to your photos. My only concern is my husband's mess. (It's his office). So I'd like the desk to have storage. What color do you think the bookshelves & desk would look best in, white, light wood, black...?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    If this is hubby's area I'd paint it his favorite color. More likely to keep it neat if it is his favorite spot. Once you know the color for the walls, you'll have a better direction to go with the furnishings. People can go in and look at your ideabooks by simply clicking on your name. You might want to mention that you're inviting them to do so. I think you can click your way back to the original pic by minimizing the page your on, opening a new page and finding the pic. Then left click to open it in your browser and right click for "copy" and you can copy it to the comment box your on. If that doesn't work, load it to your desktop and use the AI button when you're ready to insert it in the comment text.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Talked to hubby. Says he doesn't care what wall color, as long as it's not dark or feminine. I like light wall colors too. Is white too dull?
    Uploading the pic sounds complicated but I'll give it a go now. Thanks.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    It could be a more interesting color. Is there a color your husband likes that he is more or less unaware of - check his closet. Sometimes men tend to wear a certain color without realizing it is a favorite.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, raided hubbie's closet & found neutrals & dark suits. With that info., color ideas for walls & furnishings? ( would love to change/add all new stuff in this room). Just sayin'.
  • summilux
    10 years ago
    I know you want to minimize bldg/remodeling, My suggestion would be to use floating shelves for your books (how high is your ceiling?) to free up your nice hardwood floors. You could then put a standing height narrow desk with a stool and have room for a small sofa and a floor lamp. Take a look at my blog http://smortegav.blogspot.com for my shelving solutions.
  • Tahia Lorenzo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    summilux, love the idea of freestanding shelves.
  • summilux
    10 years ago
    Tahia- I'm glad you found suggestions helpful. By staggering the shelves and having some spaces b/w the shelves higher you can have room for your photos. Last suggestion is to figure out how much shelving you need, get that installed, leave some room below the shelves for a standing or sitting desk and sofa and then get your desk and sofa. The shelves and brackets will likely cost less than the furniture and will go further in your goal to make the space into a library/ reading space. The area has a lot of potential!