Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leazilee

Need help with lighting in dining room open to entryway.

leazilee
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am looking for ideas to improve the lighting in my dining room, which also houses the front door.

The front door opens directly into my dining room. The room is 18.5 x 19.5 and has vaulted ceilings. There is a large ceiling fan in the center of the room and a couple recessed lights to the right of the fan. I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and will have the ceilings refinished in the dining room, great time to move light fixtures.

This room is in the center of the house. I have attached a few photos and a drawing of the space. With this room being the center of the house it is hard to center the table and allow comfortable traffic flow. When walking in the front door the hallway to the left goes to 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. The kitchen and living room are to the right of the dining room. The stairway to walkout basement is other side of wall shown in photo with dog, I had a buffet along that wall previously. This room was set up as a living room at one time but we never used it. The room to the right is larger and works nicely as a living room. I tried swapping them since it felt more natural to have the dining room off to the side but didn't like the flow. I could not find any pictures pre remodeling so the room is a mess.

In my mind I think placing the table to the right side of the room will allow traffic to flow in the front door and both to the hallway as well as around the table and into the rest of the house.

My husband doesn't want to get rid of the ceiling fan, he would have one in every room of the house if I agreed. I thought about a light swagged to the right of the room, over the dining table. OR raising the ceiling fan (maybe using a lighter colored fan that would blend in with the ceiling?) and installing more recessed lights? I am open to any ideas. I am unsure and this is the space that I have to work with. I would love some ideas to improve it, not looking to change the ceiling heights and don't have a huge budget. I have an electrician available while working on the kitchen, could spend 1K on new fixtures if it would better the space.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

You design a definitive entry:

If you make a statement, as did Kylie M Interiors, no one notices the fan ( I feel your pain). Rug, clock,,,,splash of color on entry bench...

How about this solution?

leazilee thanked JudyG Designs
  • decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Your pix are really hard to see and they don't enlarge. I think there's a fridge by the door and an upright piano behind the table! Do you eat all your meals at this table? It reminds me of a patio set.

• AbbyJoy
    3 years ago

We're house hunting and see this all the time. One idea is to I install partition walls for new dining room to create entry, define space and allow for coat closet.

A dimensioned floor plan would help us.

• leazilee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the ideas. The entire space will be repainted and new flooring installed once the reno of kitchen and living area are ready. I am sorry the pictures are difficult to see, I tried to post some images that are larger. The furniture is not as it would normally be placed, we have misc. items piled in that room while we are working. It is not patio furniture or a piano, it is a dining table with chairs stacked on top and a dinette set in front, the fridge is new and was delivered before ready to be installed. I hoped the pictures would give an idea of the room size and layout.

• leazilee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

JudyG Designs I like the first picture with the bench. If I use something like this should I add more recessed lights to the room and leave the ceiling fan? Or should I remove the fan and hang a light over where the table will be? Thank you for your time and input.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Your hubby would like to keep the fan, (maybe there is a possibility of getting a different one?). I suggest you add pendants, as in my inspiration photo over the table.

If you could take a couple of different shots of the room, I know there is more that you can do with it keeping it a dining room.

Using your floor plan in last photo, you can maximize the dining table/chair/window.

So keep the entry inspiration in mind.

Now table is to the right of the entry.

Place it in front of window, as you show, either perpindicular to or horizontal to the window…which ever way fits the best. Add pendants above. You will have a lovely view, and at night with the pendants on dim, the room will look homey from the curb.

Now you have the rest of the room to decorate. So post some more photos.

Thinking lots of storage.

• leazilee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I install pendant lights would I also keep a ceiling fan? I have no problem replacing the fan.

The fan is currently centered in the room, the table is to the right of the entry area. That's where I am stuck. Where do I place a ceiling fan and pendant lights?

I do have a coat closet, it is not included in the photos but is in the corner directly beside the hall entrance. I do not want to add a partition to the room.

As for more photos, will larger brighter photos help or what would you like to see?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

No, I would leave the fan as is and leave the table in front of the window. I meant storage along a wall, not to divide the room.

leazilee thanked JudyG Designs
  • leazilee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HU-187528210 what style/finish fan do you suggest I consider?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

white ceiling fan on a 6-inch rod. add recessed lights, add a box that will center over the dining table, and a box at the entry for an entry light. dont pick ANY lighting just plot the electrical for now.

leazilee thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • leazilee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

RL Relocation, thank you for your input.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

A little bit of a different suggestion. I love that upholstered bench, but I would float it where you have the fridge to create a "hallway" coming in like so, facing it into the room.

My Houzz: Bakersfield California Home Tour · More Info

Move your bureau to the wall by the window to use as a dining room buffet, Instead, get a narrow piece to hold gloves, hats, keys, etc. and add a mirror over it where you have the dresser now. For that wall, this look and function. Note the rug creating a pathway through the "hall."

My Houzz: Blood, sweat and tears into a vintage eco friend Austin home · More Info

As for the middle of the room, place your table in the middle of the room. If you get a rectangular table, you could also slide your upholstered entry piece on one side for extra seating at the table. Get a unique knockout table and perhaps all different kinds of chairs.

Wimbledon · More Info

Sandy House- Dining · More Info

A beautiful big round table in the center would also look great in that space with contrasting dining chairs. Many round tables can be extended into oval tables for company. Round tables allow for better flow than angular ones.

Dining Room · More Info

Check Craigslist for estate sales to find a beautiful oversized rug. With a runner in the entryway area you create and a larger centered rug for the dining furniture, that will direct foot traffic in the space. Dining room rugs must be wide enough so the dining chairs can glide over the rug entirely. A low-pile pattered rug would make the space inviting and a bit more formal.

My Houzz: Organic Minimalism in a Denver Redo · More Info

Get curtains for the window to dress up the room and frame the windows.

leazilee thanked housegal200
  • housegal200
    3 years ago

Here's and example of the back of an upholstered "dining bench" that creates a walkway behind it. The bench is an attractive, functional partition.

The narrow, multipurpose Ikea Hemnes shoe cabinet is often used in entryways for storage. It works especially well when there's no real foyer. Again, a runner from the front door, plus an oversized rug to anchor the dining table and chairs are also visual ways to separate a space.

• leazilee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Housegal200 thank you for all those great ideas!

• leazilee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I should mention we don't use the front door often, we have an attached garage with mudroom. But guests use the front entrance. Storage isn't a concern but I love the ideas for separation of the spaces.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

That open space could be very inviting for guests. There are a lot of tricks designers use to define spaces in lofts, studios, and large open concept spaces with rugs and furniture pieces that visually partition the zones. It's always inviting for guests to come in the front door and have a pathway into the space. That's why I suggested moving your dresser to the other wall and using it as a functional part of your dining zone--make it a bar! Something like the narrow Ikea Hemnes piece gives you unobtrusive function if you actually need it there. If you don't need hooks and storage since you always use the mudroom, then just have a simple, narrow console and mirror at the front door and possibly a hallstand for guests' coats and bags.

I like this painted interior door: