jojoco_gw

Ideas for holiday gift giving

jojoco

I just can't seem to muster the enthusiasm to start looking for holiday gifts for my family. My heart is just not into it (yet). But I do love gift giving and you all always have such great ideas. So, what great finds have you discovered? Inspire me!

• nini804

@l pinkmountain We get things for my MIL who is in Assisted Living at www.buckandbuck.com

They have easy to get on clothing for older folks.

• Funkyart

This is an especially hard time for me to get into the holidays and shopping. I usually have lots of fun with it but this year, i am so very sad and so verrrrry tired. (the software we've been developing the last three years is launching this weekend). Still, i have started shopping and i have a few good ideas.

I purchased a few of these dopp kits over the last year-- Barbour and Coach. At least my brother and one of my nephews will receive these-- and very likely my 2 BILs also. I will fill them with various things depending on the person-- barefoot dreams socks, whiskey, toblerone chocolate, man things. I was quite pleased with this idea because i find the men especially hard... and i really like the Barbour wash kit especially.

I purchased a number of puzzles and paint by numbers from Pink Picasso over the last few months that I will add onto "cozy" gifts of soft wraps, throws and comfy soft loungewear,

Any proper gift ideas for the owner (seller) of our new home? I'm the buyer

You're telling our story. We bought our first home from an elderly gent whose wife had passed away. They built the home together, expecting to have children. They did not. Both put their hearts and souls in the house and the yard. 1903. We had the opportunity to buy this house because my Dad knew him. We had no business owning this home. Surrounding us were doctors, lawyers, etc. We were kids. My gift to your sellars would be an invitation to come to your (their) house, when you are settled, .for a cup of tea or a glass of wine. Buy a card in this fashion and put a bow on it. It will mean the world...

Caesarstone is giving away THREE $250 gift cards! See details below!

We are happy to announce the winners of the Caesarstone Houzz Contest! Congratulations to barbarousmuscles, newrenovator, & entratis35.

What gift to send to the clients this holiday season

OK as a client - I would throw a calendar directly in the recycling bin. And if I got anything with your name on it, I'm sorry but I would not display it in any way to give you additional advertising. If it were useful, say a pen, I would use it, but it would usually be in a drawer so you'd get no advertising value out of it. I like the idea of a gift basket when the project is done to show your appreciation, and I think holiday cards are fine and help keep your name in your client's mind, but I doubt anything else adds value. Little chachkes with a company's name on them - keychains, bottle openers, magnets, etc - are useless clutter and mostly probably just end up in a landfill somehwere.

Do you give gifts that require assembly?

Only if you count "uncorking and pouring" as assembly.
  • dedtired

Not much shopping this year, or as a matter of fact, any year recently. Last year, as I’ve mentioned before, I got my adult son an inexpensive drone that was a hit. Lots of fun with that. I get his SO a season pass to Chanticleer garden, good for two people, and they use that quite a bit since they live nearby. I have a tradition of getting each of my sons a new white t shirt usually from J Crew. It’s a desperation gift.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

For some of the nieces and nephews I have ordered draw string gym bags. There are some fun prints for the young girls (an especially pretty horse one) and solid for the guys. The teen boys will get some shower wipes with theirs. I'll probably find some type of stickers or art supplies for the younger girls. One fun gift we have done with teen boys is called shock-tato. It is like hot potato but if you get caught with the potato, it gives you an electric shock. Another niece will get a min-donut maker with a cookbook.

For my guys, I will be stuffing stockings with toiletries from Duke Cannon. They had some fun looking things. I think DH will like the hot shave gel. For DH I bought a pressurized growler from Growlerwerks. He likes to go to the local breweries but a regular growler holds more than he would usually drink in one night. I will be purchasing a lovely photo from a local photographer for my parents. I am pretty sure it is the Sandias in the background and I think they will appreciate the juxtaposition of the snow with the sunset on the clouds: Pciture called Fire and Ice. The only other fun thing I have found is some gourmet bitters for drink mixing at the A place and also some gourmet mexican chocolate for DH. There will be Bombas socks in the stockings plus a bottle of Fry Sauce from Freddy's for the 14-year-old. I need to find a few other fun food things and then I should be done with my household. I just need to figure out something for the in-laws.

• localeater

TishTosh thanks for the reminder, my DS loves Duke Cannon Bloody Knuckles Hand cream. Perfect for his stocking.

• Funkyart

I never heard of Duke Cannon-- but what a great company and it sounds like they have great products. These will make awesome additions to the dopp kits for some of the guys. Thank you soooo much!

Any special recommendations beyond the bloody knuckles hand cream?

• salonva

--- Today was a first- I saw someone using this and thought it was genius. Wear your cell phone ( like a shoulder or cross body bag) and never misplace it-----AND totally accessible for use. Maybe the rest of the world knows of this but I was so impressed. I hope I am describing it correctly. I think it might be the kind of thing that you didn't know you needed. It comes in many colors, fancy, not fancy, utilitarian, etc etc and for each specific phone. Seriously considering this. BANDOLIER-

• dedtired

An idea I got here a few years ago is the Lagerhead Black and Tan Turtle. The beer drinkers liked it.Black and Tan Turtle

• Joaniepoanie

I had never heard of Duke Cannon either and just ordered some soaps and shave stuff son, DH and son in law.

• Fun2BHere

Duke Cannon was a new vendor to me, too. I ordered two stocking stuffers. Thanks for the idea, Tishtoshnm.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Tishtosh, You deserve a commission. Duke Cannon was a new vendor to me, too. I just placed an order and sent the link to DD2 for her to shop for a friend.

• deegw

I have never ordered from this company but the ad keeps showing up in my FB feed and it makes me laugh. The ad algorithm is disturbingly accurate. Some titles are R rated.

https://wtfnotebooks.com/

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

Duke Cannon came up as an ad in my facebook feed one day and it looked like fun. I read some independent reviews and thought they were at least worth a try. Fingers crossed that it meets expectations.

Dee, Those notebooks look great. I will need to remember them in a year when there is a white elephant gift exchange. I saw a couple that would make good gifts this year too.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Dee, never saw those! (not on FB maybe?) I just ordered 5!

• nekotish

Feeling envious of all the great sites that either don't ship to Canada or those that do, when you add up the exchange/duties/taxes make them out of sight. I do have some Canadian sites that I order from, but just wondering if any Canadians can chime in? Meanwhile, I will try to get over the fact that the Duke Cannon website would solve a lot of my gift giving, if only they shipped north of the 49th.

• Funkyart

I really can't thank you all enough-- not only did i order a bunch of fun gifts but i had a fun night choosing irreverent notebooks and manly scents and salves.

*my bar for fun might be a little low these days! LOL

At the beginning of quarantine, i sent some paint by number kits to a few people i thought would enjoy them-- my bff took hers on vacation and totally loved it-- even her son asked her to order one for him. I ordered from PinkPicasso.. and they have extended their line to include some for kids. I love their designs and they are packaged beautifully too. A great gift iMO

• mtnrdredux_gw

Neko, I would ship it to you but I guess that may not solve it either, right? IIRC its uneconomic to send personal packages too.

• Olychick

Salonva, I've been using one of those cross body phone cases for probably 6 or 7 years. I just bought my 2nd one because I bought a new phone. I don't carry a purse very often and my case has a place for my DL and a couple of credit cards and some folded bills. It's perfect and I don't have to hold my phone when I'm trying to do something else with my hands, don't have to dig it out of a purse for pictures, don't get to the store and realize my phone is at home, etc. I just grab it and go. (Well, back when I used to go!)

• Olychick

I ordered some of these from Gumps for my wine loving friends. You keep them in the freezer and can add them to a glass of wine to chill it without watering it down, if you've forgotten to chill the bottle.

• allison0704

I have been cooking 6 days a week for months now, so ordered a new pepper grinder from this Etsy shop, and loved it so much a second for salt. She is out at the moment, but there is a waitlist. No screw on ball top, so no center rod = holds more. The top comes off easily to fill, and with its rubber base stays put. I love the shape and feel. She messaged me they were coming out with a lighter color wood for salt, so I waited on those to come in. A friend ordered and she loves hers as well.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

I wish there was people in my orbit who would appreciate calamityware. The blue willow style china with a twist is so much fun. I would buy some for me but I already have too many mugs and not enough cabinet space. The sea serpent shower curtain is on my list for when my daughter gets her own place. Sea Monster Shower Curtain. Beware though, there are some knock offs on A ma zon that are not the same quality.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Funky - those are great! Thanks for the tip.

• blfenton

nekotish - It looks like Fendrihan Canada out of Ontario carries Duke Cannon and will do free shipping within Canada. I haven't checked out the pricing .

https://www.fendrihan.ca/

Click onto the site and then go into shop by product and enter Duke Cannon

• gsciencechick

Love that peppermill! I could use a new one since our is pretty old.

I just ordered a signed copy of Patti Smith's The Year of the Monkey, from McNally Jackson independent bookstore in NYC. They have other suggestions

McNally Jackson bookstore

If you are rock inclined, there are few good books about Eddie Van Halen from a Ph.D. historian I know, Greg Renoff. We have Van Halen Rising, and I'm going to get the Ted Templeman book for him.

Templeman book Greg Renoff

Other things I purchased this year that were super useful in addition to the Bose products aboe:

Netgear Orbi mesh router system

24" additional computer monitor for dual screen set-up--need an HDMI between your laptop and the monitor

Dyson stick vacuum (thanks everyone here!)

Rebook step platform: original step

1-5 lb color dumbbells with a rack

Yoga accessories: mat, bolster, blocks, straps

• terezosa / terriks

I'm pretty sure that each of my kids will get a WTF notebook. 😊

• cawaps

The Crucible, an Oakland industrial arts center, usually holds its annual gift fair in December. They've gone virtual this year., which gives you all the opportunity to "attend" Compared to most gift fairs, they have really unique and interesting stuff.

I also usually attend a holiday sale for a art studio that serves disabled adults. Half the art in my house came from their sales. Unfortunately their $5 and $10 tables don't seem to have translated into the virtual realm. It helps to have a high tolerance for primitive and somewhat childish (in technique, anyway; sometimes it's paired with quite adult subject matter) art.

https://www.thecrucible.org/event/virtual-gifty-2020-local-artisanal-gifts/?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=341b0f4e27-Gifty_vendors_2020_11_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8ef15a5f52-341b0f4e27-280842037&mc_cid=341b0f4e27&mc_eid=e83d194123

https://creative-growth.shoplightspeed.com/

• smhinnb

I ordered 5 of these from Etsy to tuck in with gifts for my mom, sister and friends.

• robo (z6a)

Just bought a christmas hamper and gifts for a family of 7 kids in the name of of my father in law - he is one of seven.

Brother in law is getting a hand held telescope/scope - he's outdoorsy and has a new home on a golf course with a long view.

Avidly following for ideas!

• czarinalex

I'm giving my son and his gf an unlimited car wash pass.

• deegw

I saw some of the Duke Cannon products at Target and it gave me a chance to give them a sniff. I liked Productivity, it was minty and Naval Diplomacy had a light fresh scent. One smelled like patchouli, which is not my favorite. I think it was called Buffalo Trace. I stocked up on the Bloody Knuckles balm for my nephews.

• robo (z6a)

Forgot to mention, I passed along Duke Cannon Canadian recommendation to my SIL who has three fashionable guys to buy for.

• Jinx

My DD and her partner are moving into their first apt next weekend, so I’m sure many of their presents will be house gifts. It’s a cool 1940’s apt building in Dallas, with original tile, wood floors, and other details, so I’m pretty excited to help them decorate. She loves vintage and antique decor (he does, too).

One thing for sure will be the Bissell handheld vac I just got for myself. I love it! I made a thread about it the other day.

My dad just moved into his shopdominium (shop with attached apt), which my husband helped him build. I took lots of pictures along the way, from bare ground up, and plan to get him a hardcover book made with them. He’s very sentimental, collects photo albums and keepsakes, so I think he’ll love it.

For DH, something guitar related. He’s been hinting about a cool steel and leather swivel stool for his music room.

• smhinnb

I just "adopted" an animal through WWF for all the young kids I have to shop for... they get a little plush animal and adoption certificate & some information on the species. I chose a koala bear, a red fox and a bison.

• texanjana

I just ordered some of those WTF notebooks. I am still laughing out loud. Thanks Dee.

• gsciencechick

Another thing we bought: Phone Soap UV phone and electronics cleaner. Use code HOLIDAY20 for 20% off and free shipping through November 30.

Phone Soap

• nekotish

I was thrilled to find Duke Cannon products at a local Winners today. Bonus is that they were much less than the Canadian distribution website posted above - and no shipping. Picked up a half dozen items for nephews and daughters' boyfriends.

• Sueb20

Am I the only one who’d never heard of heated vests? Someone mentioned this to me today and I was like 🤯!? DH does bird photography in the winter so I ordered one for him. Hope it works out! I ordered it from Ororo (based on recommendation from the person who told me about the vests ).

• Sueb20

smh, we’ve done that before! The stuffed animals they send are cute!

• jmck_nc
    yesterday

Oh Sue! I just heard about heated coats and that is what I'm getting myself for Christmas! I teach preschool outdoors this year. We usually don't get super cold in NC, but it will be nice for those extra cold, sunless days.

• Ocotillo
    yesterday

Sue, I had never heard of heated vests either, but I am SO glad you mentioned it! I think that may be the perfect gift for my dad, who is in and out of the house a lot in the winter months, and tends to get chilled easily. Thank you!

• Renovator Girl
    yesterday

As a family, we really struggle with too much stuff so we try to go for consumable gifts. One of the things I most look forward to about the holidays is trying everyone's signature goodies at their house parties. We have some family members who are gifted bakers and I am REALLY looking forward to packages from them. I don't want to hijack this thread so I am going to start another about holiday goodies. MMMM.

• Renovator Girl
    yesterday

PlumPrint, one of the companies that makes books out of children's artwork, is having a 50% Black Friday sale. If your family is past the age of wild and colorful artwork, how about a gift certificate so another family can enjoy their kids' artwork in a nice book instead of in a tub crammed full of school papers in the closet?

• texanjana
    yesterday

My husband is really hard to buy for, so I just ordered him a mushroom growing kit. Nearby Naturals Mushroom Kit

• dedtired
    yesterday

Every year my brother in law gives me a Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar. It’s very clever and fun to do each days activity. https://www.jacquielawson.com/advent

• Renovator Girl
    10 hours ago

dedtired, we LOVE the Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendars! The ornament smashing game is addictive!

The USPS has really lovely stamps and gifts. How about a Marvin Gaye poster? Or Hot Wheels stamps?

• Renovator Girl
    10 hours ago

Do you have a lactose-intolerant cheese freak in your life? Cabot brand cheese from Vermont is naturally lactose free--go to the Dakin Farm website.

• Oakley
    1 hour ago

Thank you thank you, Robo! Which hand held telescope did you get? Just today that idea came to me for my 12 yr old DGS. His bedroom is upstairs and overlooks a creek and lots of fields. I think he would love that! So would DS, his office is also upstairs facing the same area. I'm ordering one this weekend.

Jojo, what ages and sex are you looking to shop for?

I'm only buying for the kids and their wives, and two grandchildren. I'm having a ball buying things for the grands, little things that will go in one gift box for each.

You can do the same for adults.

Here's a gift you might consider for older people. I ordered one for myself tonight because my big toenails are getting thick and are prone to ingrown nails which is common as we age.

• Oakley
    54 minutes ago

I'm not risking putting more than one picture in a post because it will go poof.

These were recommended by me last year for the person who loves taking notes and needs paper in every room to write down a fresh thought, like me! It sure helps in keeping organized and now I remember everything I write down.

At Amazon, Earthcube 3.5 x 3.5, 700 pages, not sticky but you pull off a chunk at a time. $11.95, and I'm on my second cube and almost running out. A cute pen would be nice, along with a WTF notebook. :)

• jojoco
    52 minutes ago

Sue, I bought an ororo heated vest a few weeks ago to wear while working (outside) at Longwood. I’ve given it a test drive (5 stars!) at home, but haven’t put it to the test so far at work due to warm temps. I have to say, their customer service is the best. Note to others—order from the actual company, not Amazon. Lots of copycat scammers out there.

• Sueb20
    39 minutes ago

Oh, I’m glad to see your review, Jojo! Thank you.