jojoco_gw

Ideas for holiday gift giving

jojoco

I just can't seem to muster the enthusiasm to start looking for holiday gifts for my family. My heart is just not into it (yet). But I do love gift giving and you all always have such great ideas. So, what great finds have you discovered? Inspire me!

• Sueb20

Umm...so did I. We have two dogs, so I got a set for DD with one dog and a set for me with the other dog. I hope they fit!

I‘ve bought a few silly clothing items since the pandemic hit, from my Ew David t shirt to a mushroom sweatshirt...gotta do what you can to amuse yourself.

• terezosa / terriks

I love the Fauci masks!

Ideas for original gift related with interior decoration: handmade zen garden

I attach images:

Any proper gift ideas for the owner (seller) of our new home? I'm the buyer

You're telling our story. We bought our first home from an elderly gent whose wife had passed away. They built the home together, expecting to have children. They did not. Both put their hearts and souls in the house and the yard. 1903. We had the opportunity to buy this house because my Dad knew him. We had no business owning this home. Surrounding us were doctors, lawyers, etc. We were kids. My gift to your sellars would be an invitation to come to your (their) house, when you are settled, .for a cup of tea or a glass of wine. Buy a card in this fashion and put a bow on it. It will mean the world...

Great Holiday Host/Hostess Gifts?

I try to be careful with gifting 'smellies' because so many people are scent-sensitive now. (I get scent-triggered migraines so I'm particularly aware of it as an issue.) Just something to keep in mind when selecting a gift for a particular individual - if you already know they use scented candles or oils or whatnot in their home, you're probably safe. :) I do the gift closet thing also - the trick is just to make sure you maintain an inventory list of what you have stashed away so that you don't end up forgetting you already had something suitable. (I don't just do it for host gifts, though. I look for holiday/birthday gifts for everyone on my list year-round and just stash them away. That way I can take advantage of sales or particularly good finds - like if you find something unique you know someone will just LOVE - and don't have to scramble when I need the gift to remember what I saw.) (My only exception to this is stuff for kids - I'll buy general stuff like art supplies, but I refuse to buy more 'fad' type things like a specific toy unless the kid has been wanting it consistently for a while, because it's too common for kids to be entranced by the Next Big Thing and no longer want the original item. So for them I wait closer to the gift giving occasion just to be sure of what they want and need at that particular time.) (They also grow too fast, too, so you can't be safe buying clothes too far in advance unless you're prepared to donate them or have other kids to give them to if they won't fit the original intended recipient.)

Caesarstone is giving away THREE $250 gift cards! See details below!

We are happy to announce the winners of the Caesarstone Houzz Contest! Congratulations to barbarousmuscles, newrenovator, & entratis35.
  • Jinx

This thread has such great ideas!

I wanted to update on the book I ordered my dad. From my earlier post:

“My dad just moved into his shopdominium (shop with attached apt), which my husband helped him build. I took lots of pictures along the way, from bare ground up, and plan to get him a hardcover book made with them. He’s very sentimental, collects photo albums and keepsakes, so I think he’ll love it.”

It just came today and I love it. I’m super impressed with the quality. The pictures I sent them (online) turned out great and the book is made well. I got the hardcover, and since I wasn’t sure how it’d turn out, ordered the basic package with 20-something pictures. Now that I’ve seen it, I’ll definitely do more books for loved ones, and with more photos.

I ordered the “rustic” design, there are lots of other choices. Here’s a sampling of it:

My dad and my DH, back in February, going over some things pre-slab (my DH is an electrician and did all wiring and electrical):

I marked my dad’s name out. These are signs he has on another building he built before the shop and apt. The wood background is from the “rustic” design I chose.

The little storage building. It’s just a basic one you can get anywhere, but he redid it to look like an old barn.

The rest are pictures of the shop and apt being built, inside and out, as well as nice shots I took of his acreage and beautiful pond.

Just wanted to say that I highly recommend this as a gift idea — it took me a few minutes to send my photos, so couldn’t be easier, and this basic package only cost $24.

Forgot link: Shutterfly books

• teeda

That's really special, Jinx!

• Jinx

Thank you, teeda, I’m so excited to give it to him. :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I'm always looking for inexpensive gifts equivalent to a mug filled with candy, but not that :-)

and decided this year on nice olive wood spoons. Most of the causal gift recipients (not family) will like that. I might tie them with a small package of herbs and a ribbon, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Those books are great Jinx, and people always love them.

• mtnrdredux_gw

BTW, I was folding some of DS's shirts and came across some Tshirts we bought in Canada --- in 2013. They have held up so well, and are so tasteful.

I've never seen this brand, Red Canoe, in the US, but they ship here free for orders over $40. Esp. nice stuff if you have a aviation buff in the family.

https://redcanoebrands.com/product-category/men/t-shirts-men/

• mtnrdredux_gw

Back again. Food gifts.

I ordered some Prindable's caramel choc apples for someone who I know is a fan. And I ordered some Tate's mini butter pound cakes for an older person who lives alone --- it can be hard to find a food gift for simpler tastes and smaller portions. I also like Tate's for group gifts because it's individually wrapped.

Also amazed to find the ever-sublime Tartine's of SF ships their goodies. I got their bread, a small lemon poppyseed cake, and some choc chip cookies. If you haven't heard of Tartine, it's Mark Bittman's favorite bakery in the country. Not a bargain, but delish.

https://www.goldbelly.com/tartine-bakery/Tartine-gift-pack?ref=merchant

• Funkyart

I love tate's! I just packed a bag of ginger zingers with just a bow on it in a package for a friend. They are really such a treat!

I think I will also send a Tartine package to my brother who won't be able to celebrate Christmas with my family this year because he's unable to quarantine prior.

(PS.. i have such a silly crush on Mark Bittman!)

• IdaClaire

Your book turned out beautifully, Jinx! I made a hardcover Shutterfly book for my mom not long ago memorializing our trips to England over the years, and it came out so cute! I don't know who had more fun-- me making it or her reading it -- but it was just a great experience all the way around.

• mtnrdredux_gw

I can vouch for the Mahzedra bakery and Jasper Hill. Alas I tried to order Jasper Hill and i'm too late; will just have to make my own gift basket!

• Jinx

Another update, not a good one.

I ordered this pillow from Society 6 ($36) for my DD for Christmas:

And this came today:

I ordered boho and got Rocky Mountain High. 😂

I hope Society 6 is good about refunds!

• mtnrdredux_gw

oh my!

• Sheeisback_GW

Oh Jinx! That is frustrating!

The only packages that seem to be arriving here in decent time are from Amazon. We ordered items from Uncommon Goods, Etsy, and a few other small business type places and still waiting. They appear to be sitting at waiting. 🙄 I’m assuming not enough workers and more people have shopped online. Hoping the stuff comes before Christmas.

• texanjana

Your dad will love the book, Jinx. Sorry about the pillow. Ugh. I am still awaiting shipments from Bombas and Uncommon Goods. I hope they make it by Christmas.

• Allison0704

Jinx, that is not a refund! It's a return with free shipping and a rush on the correct pillow!

• Jinx

Allison, I’m afraid of what they might send me next! 😬

I just sent pictures and my info to them, will hopefully hear back soon. If it had been cheaper, I’d give it as a gag gift. 😆

• Fun2BHere

Sorry about the pillow, Jinx. That's certainly not even close. I'm glad that everything related to the holiday has been already delivered for me because I'm starting to see slowdowns on a few non-Christmas orders that I have outstanding. I'm also happy that I shipped with UPS instead of USPS this year. I had no issues at all and it's worth the little bit extra I paid to know that my packages arrived quickly and in good condition.

• Jinx

Thanks, everyone. ❤️

I texted a pic of it to my best friend, and now she’s sending me all these pics of ugly pillows. 😆

This is the only G-rated one:

• jmck_nc

In re: wrong packages sent. On 3! different occasions over the past 2 weeks I have received packages with 2 of the item I ordered when I just ordered 1. THREE TIMES! All different companies. I think they are all completely overwhelmed by the volume this year when many do ALL of their shopping online due to virus concerns. However, is it now my problem to return these items...how to do this without triggering a refund...I don't need more busywork this season. WWYD? BUT, I did get the correct item at least.

• Fun2BHere

I found a few more items that might be of interest. All are available on Amazon.

• terezosa / terriks

For my oldest son and his wife and my youngest son and his fiancée we got a cheese making kit, a mushroom growing kit and a book - The 99% Invisible City, plus some individual gifts, such as socks, as sweater, etc. My daughter is an avid reader, and prefers real books (unlike her mother who loves her Kindle!), so I bought her this nifty one hand book holder.

My husband is Canadian, and I'm very tempted to order him some T-shirts from Red Canoe, but he already has about 50 T-shirts!

• mtnrdredux_gw

But Terri, the Red Canoe ones are fantastic quality.

• hcbm

I bought these:

A nice non-messy way to watercolor sketch while outside.

I ordered from Amazon and they arrived in 2 days.

• Funkyart

Thanks for the Red Canoe recommend-- i was able to get two cool shirts for my nephew who is big into WWII. He's going to love them! Also got another for my younger nephew. They were a little nostalgic for me as early in my career-- before I was in IT, i was a reliability engineer for of a fleet of Dehavilland planes and also Beechcraft.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Really, Funky? I'm so glad. The designs are just gorgeous. We came across the store on a family vacation in Canada. My son was maybe 14 or so, he is 21 now. We bought him 2 t shirts that were too big for him, and one of the flight bags. He still wears them and uses that bag. When he and I were folding his laundry, we both remarked how well they had worn and how nice they are. He has the blue DeHavilland and a Yellow maple leaf. How cool are you BTW?

• terezosa / terriks

I bought my daughter a Red Canoe t-shirt and a hat for my husband.

• Olychick

terriks, thanks for posting that book holder. I just ordered one for my grandson's teacher. I thought it would be really handy for holding a book open as she holds it up and reads for the zoom camera. Ordered one for me for reading in bed, too!

• Funkyart

Fun, i am loving those magnetic notebooks-- they'd be so useful for me. But they are pricey.. and it looks like the don't have a lot of pages. Have you used one by any chance?

And how cool are those bags, Mtn? I wish I knew someone who could use one.

• Fun2BHere

I ordered one of the notebooks just yesterday, Funkyart, so I can't speak to the quality yet. Unfortunately, I won't be receiving it until just before Christmas. I think it has about 50 pages.

• Jinx

I wanted to update about my wrong order being sent from Society 6 — wonderful customer service. They promptly refunded my money and sent a very nice email apologizing and advising that I should keep the pillow or donate it. I feel confident in ordering from them in the future. :)

• Sueb20

I should never look at these threads. Now I need to order myself this t shirt.

• Barbara Lenihan

Any ideas on some fun games adults can play? 2 families playing on face time.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Chameleon! Bought it last year and it's our new fave. We use a whiteboard when we play to keep track of everyone's clues before we vote.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Reminds me --- a gift for anyone "home-schooling " now, perhaps?

I helped my kids with their more quantitative subject since I was a statistics major. I love dry erase boards for math practice. This one is super because one side is "graph paper." Also, these dry erase markers are excellent quality and cool colors.

• Barbara Lenihan

Thank you for the game suggestion. It will be great to do with the family who can't be home. Each family will get one.

• texanjana

That is so cool, Funky. My FIL owned and piloted a Beechcraft Bonanza for many decades. He even added tip tanks to make it over the Pacific for his two around the world trips in that little plane.

• lizbeth-gardener

Lots of great ideas! I have a DIL who is difficult to buy for, but loves candles. I've given her Tommy Bahama in the past, but would like to try something different.

Any recommendations?

• Tina Marie

@Allison0704 - just scrolling through this thread again and saw your lace gifts. I love those! So beautiful in the gold frame. I don't have any wedding gowns, other than my own. I had thought about donating it, and am now wondering if I could take a piece of lace from it to frame. Maybe from the train, or I think my veil had lace edging. I also have some old hankies from my grandmother. Love things like that!

• Bestyears

Lizbeth, does your DIL have a wax warmer? I find they are often more fragrant than candles,and since there is no flame, they are super safe. Most work on the same principle: plug in, and a Christmas tree size bulb warms the wax, melting it to liquid and releasing the fragrance. I find the Yankee candle wax melts to be very fragrant but there are many other good ones too.

Examples of wax warmers

• Allison0704

I received a free candle from Flores Lane, and ended up ordering a ton of the Hermosa Beach candles to give our girls and my friends.

• lizbeth-gardener

Bestyears, I don't think she does-will have to check that out before next year. I have often thought I would enjoy one.

Allison704, Thanks for the link. Those look like something she would like-even the fragrance description is a fit! I just ordered the Hermosa Beach.🤗

• mtnrdredux_gw

My one DD wants a new trench coat. Brooks Brothers has them half off! She wants the classic but they also have a very pretty light blue car coat. Looks like everything is half off.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Double-Breasted-Trench-Coat/WW00186,default,pd.html?dwvar_WW00186_Color=KHAK&contentpos=20&cgid=0246

• terezosa / terriks

I received my Red Canoe order today, and they included this tote bag.😊

• Funkyart

Oh that's cool, Terriks! My order arrived in NH earlier this week. It was my "just in case the package doesn't arrive gift" LOL. I told him he could open it because the gift WILL arrive on time but his wife said "NO.. you MUST wait for Christmas" LOL.

• mtnrdredux_gw

When my country grows up one day, I hope it it just like Canada. ; )

• l pinkmountain

I second a gift of real ginger chews from the "Ginger People" as a stocking stuffer for all your ginger lovers out there. I got my husband a huge bag one year for Christmas. Probably too late for ordering now, but if you ever see them in a store, great products. That's the actual name of the company, Ginger People.

I had to run out to find some sympathy cards and the only place they sell them in my town is either the mart marts which I was not going near, or the chain pharmacies, since we no longer have locally owned ones in business. Just as a side note, Rite Aid had a marvelous selection of gifts and Christmas decorations. Nicer than any of the big boxes in town. Some nice toys and books and activity books, specialty magazines, ornaments, etc. We really dialed down Christmas shopping this year due to financial austerity, but if you are looking for some last minute stocking stuffers, that was a surprisingly nice place to go. Lots of interesting toiletry products too. My husband has very little sense of smell so I don't get him fancy nice scented things, but they had some cool body washes and scented soaps and aftershaves. Natural products.

My one suggestion of a last minute gift that I always loved getting as a kid were the candy Lifesaver "books" of assorted flavors of rolls. They now have activity pages too. I just loved the glamor of having so many types of Lifesaver candy. It combined my two loves, books and candy!

• Jinx

I wanted to share this —

I sent my besties around the country hand-painted clay ornaments from the Direct From Mexico site. Each was painted differently.

One friend wants to have hers out all year, so her husband made this display stand and she painted it. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw

Aww! very nice