Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bella0605

Pella vs Provia windows/ Need advice

K Hunter
3 years ago

We are trying to weed through window estimates for 20 replacement insert windows and right now are down to Pella and Provia. The Pella estimate is $18 for the 250 series with SDL, beige exterior and white interior. The Provia Endure is $24 with the same options. We like the Provia better but the estimate seems high. Should we keep looking? Should the Endure be around the same price as Pella 250 or is it a much better window? Is Pella still a bad choice of has the product improved? Thank you all for your help and feedback.

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Provia should be more than the Pella's I do believe as the quality is better. No Pella has not improved anything so still a bad choice in my honest opinion.

K Hunter thanked millworkman
  • K Hunter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Millworkman. I appreciate and respect your input very much.I think I will go with the Provia as the sales guy is very helpful and even brought a sample out with the color palate to my house and left it with me for the weekend so I could compare it to others. The window dealer also has very good ratings and seem like they do a good job.

I have been reading older posts and trying to understand everything before I make a decision. You, oberon746, Windows on Washington, Window Genius and a few other Pros are truly a blessing for homeowners on this topic. It is a really big financial decision that homeowners will have to live with for a long time and you all clear up the confusion for so many people. Thank you all so much.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

100% and I understand completely. Believe there is a lot to know form the pro's nd as well. I work commercial now which much different and worse in many ways. But I still have friends in the residential business so I do keep up to date for the most part. Honestly I was never a proponent of vinyl as when I work in residential the only thing I had available to me was junk vinyl. Provia, Okna, Softlite, Sunrise and a couple of other brands have turned me around on vinyl. Don't get me wrong I am still a proponent of wood and wood aluminum-clad windows but I am not opposed to the better vinyl products.

K Hunter thanked millworkman
  • K Hunter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We loved the Marvin wood clad but the quote was over $40K and we just couldn't justify the cost. So glad to hear that Provia is on your list because I have not been able to find Okna or Sunrise where we live. The closest dealer was about three hours away. Thanks again Millworkman!!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Where is the home?

You married to SDLs? Reason that I ask is that we see home that are over 7 figures that are using GBG.

K Hunter thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • fridge2020
    3 years ago

The provia endure is defintley better than the pella 250. The latter is an entry level window that simply has a recognizable brand name.

K Hunter thanked fridge2020
  • K Hunter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks fridge! I got a better view of the Pella 250 at a showroom and did not like it at all. The 350 seemed more like the Provia but I trust the opinions here and am staying away from it and going with the Provia for the sides and the back, but I think I need something different for the front and I am looking into the wood clads now for those 7 windows.

WOW, I do prefer the SDL for some reason. We are in Nashville and it is a traditional/ southern ranch with SDL divided panes and it seems to suit the home's exterior. I am considering using the SDL grids for the front only and not have grids for the side and the back. I am going with Provia for the side and back of the house but have decided against vinyl for the front as the Provia has a bulky frame and I don't want to reduce the light into the front that much. I am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced wood clad for the front that optimizes the light coming in as much as possible. I like the Marvin but the estimate is 18K for seven windows (2 measuring about 42"x60" and 2 at 43"x70"). So, the search continues for the front window options. (I will gladly take any advice!)

Thank you all again for the help.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Good stuff. Good outcome and selection.

• melissacasey
    2 years ago

Question for the OP - one year(ish) in, curious how you like the Marvin product? Any pros/cons you'd say to be aware of?