petula67

Base cabinets: Why are drawers better?

petula67

I've read a lot of Houzz comments recently that recommend maximizing the number of base cabinets with drawers as opposed to doors with pull-out shelves, etc.

As I plan my new kitchen, I'm wondering about this preference for drawers. Can anybody provide some insights about why they prefer deep drawers vs. pull-out shelves for larger items?

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

In addition to what @JuneKnow has said, it's also a good choice if you plan to have a fair amount of open shelving on the wall. Drawers with organizers allow you to create the storage you need for dishes, pots/pans, bakeware, etc.

petula67 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors

warming drawer in 3 drawer base cabinet

bluescoot, I'm on break and checking through. What manufacturer is making the warming drawer? The installation guide can be downloaded from the internet. I've done these in the past and they have come with a heat shield already installed. BTW, paper ignites at 451F (remember the book by Ray Bradbury?). The warming drawer only reaches 200F...so it won't cause problems with random credit card receipts.

Wood or wire basket roll-out drawers for base cabinets

The house I bought has a lot of those lower wooden drawers. In the beginning, I obsessed about the space lost in the side gaps with the cabinet walls .. but it's more than overcome by the storage & access all the way to the back! I would always prefer the solid wood to wire, because things are more stable sitting there, and can't get caught in the bottom or sides. I'm not too thrilled with the #1 photo you have, where there's nothing on the sides to keep things from accidentally being pushed from one side .. and out the other. Now that I'm used to the pull-outs, I could never go back to the old fixed shelves on the bottom .. down on my knees hunting for things lost in the dark recesses of a shelf!

Getting my cabinets painted. Is oil based or latex paint better?

I painted my melamine kitchen cabinets white using an oil based paint from BM. Sure enough 1 year later they turned yellow. Then I went back to BM and got their new paint specially made for cabinet. That one stayed white. This time around (different house) we have oak cabinets and we are getting them painted professionally for various reasons. Two painters I talked to mentioned a paint brand I had never heard of. But after reading reviews online it is apparently great. I think it was an industrial floor paint or something. Painting cabinets is the most rewarding thing you can do for the aesthetic of your kitchen. But it is the most labor intensive job. Mentally and physically. I heard that some cabinets painters will agree to sand the doors only. That could be an option. If you are DIYing it, I would say get yourself a partner. One person handles the sanding . The other one handles the paint. Another must for a professional finish is a paint sprayer. Worth every single penny. Plus don't forget to mention that you are using a sprayer when you buy the paint.

Why are KDs and GCs so against toe kick drawers?

I placed a toe kick drawer under each of my under counter ovens in order to store the extra oven racks and broiler pans. I talked about this several times with the KD, so she knew what the intended use was. Unfortunately the underside of the cabinet has a bar that runs the full width, so it interferes with storing anything taller than large flat items (trivets and pizza stone). If you go forward, find out exactly what your usable height will be. Mine are kick to open which I would recommend. They blend in so would be a great place to store valuables.
  • Sammie J

Drawers allow you to see everything in the cabinet - at one time - without pulling out the "stuff" in front to get to the "stuff" in back. While pull out shelves are fine, drawers are much easier to organize. And, it's one pull motion versus having to open the cabinet and then pull out the shelf.

petula67 thanked Sammie J
  • functionthenlook

Personally I like a mix of both drawers and cabinets for base cabinets. Both have their pros and cons.

petula67 thanked functionthenlook
    The Kitchen Place

Stuff can fall off the back of a rollout. This happened with my very kitchen that I did when I was 30. You can get rollouts with high backs on them with some cabinet lines. I like rollouts with FULL HEIGHT DOORS...so I will usually do a mix of mostly drawers but have Rollouts in a full height door cabinet for taller things. You can adjust the heights of them which is nice!

petula67 thanked The Kitchen Place
  • eld6161

I know that all drawers have been popular here for a while. I agree with function.

I like a mix of both. For me all drawers reminds me of dressers in a bedroom.

petula67 thanked eld6161
  • jimandanne_mi

Ditto liking a mix of drawers and rollouts.

We have 2 base cabinets - one for each side of the cooktop for smaller pans, serving dishes, pie pans, etc. - that came with a drawer and 2 rollouts, so we ordered an extra rollout for each cabinet that had them. We like that we could adjust the heights of the rollouts to suit what we were putting in each. We also have the drawer + 3 rollouts by the MW for some of our smaller snack and cooking items.

We have 2 banks of 4 drawers towards each end of our peninsula next to the trash pullout and DW with sink in between. We have a deep drawer below the warming drawer below the cooktop for large pans. There are 2 deep drawers in the island for everyday dishes and plastic containers.

There also is a super-Susan, a spice pull out, and a differently configured 2-door base cabinet in the island with a deep drawer on the top of each side and 2 rolloouts below.

I designed the house around the kitchen. :o) Once I decided where the appliances would be, I made a list of everything else that would be in the kitchen and figured out the logical location for each item. Then I decided which type of cabinet would work best for me, and that's how I got my mix.

Anne

petula67 thanked jimandanne_mi
    Creative Design Cabinetry

One motion to access the interior. drawers are larger than pull-outs, they don't have to clear the hinges.

petula67 thanked Creative Design Cabinetry
  • acm

Imagine where you keep your tupperware -- it's always spilling out or threatening too, and the lids are who knows where... now tilt that same shelf down, and you have four walls to contain the chaos! Now extend the same to any messy pile -- baking dishes, pans...

petula67 thanked acm
  • paintedpeggies

I’d rather not dig through a huge, dark cave to find things from the front when I can access the same items, without digging and lit, from the top.

petula67 thanked paintedpeggies
  • mdln

petula67 thanked mdln
  • petula67

Thanks, all. The appeal of drawers for numerous smaller items is pretty clear. I was more curious about the deep drawers vs. gliding shelves for larger items, and you've all provided some helpful things to think about.

• AJCN

We have a cabinet under the sink and then one more under the buffet/serving area. All the rest are drawers, 38 of them in varying sizes. We have a bank of very shallow cabinets on the back side of the island where the stools go bc that would have just been wasted space if not used. I put the cabinet in the buffet area bc I wanted to store some large serving platters in there and some really tall things that wouldn't fit in a drawer without laying ono their sides.

When deciding what mixture of drawers and cabinets you want, I recommend that you:

- purge now so that you're making decisions based on what you are actually going to use in your new kitchen.

- think about the layout of your kitchen and where you want to store things (often -used things near where they'll be used; lesser-used a little further away; holiday stuff higher or further away, etc, etc)

- measure your stuff! Someone on here recommended that to me a long time ago. For example, if you have a tall stock pot that you use often, you'll want that to fit somewhere near your stove such as in a deep drawer or maybe a cabinet if you are planning one. But for me, that goes in the pantry because it's not often used. So, measure your bread maker, Cuisinart food processor, juicer, BBQ skewers, double bowler, large pasta pot, cup cake carrier, tall beer steins, rolling pins, marble rolling-out board, salad spinner, wok, potato ricer, Vitamix or smoothie maker, cookie sheets, serving platters, lasagna pan, pots and pans, large mixing bowls, large wooden bowls, etc.

- decide how you want to store your foil, plastic wrap, freezer storage bags, parchment paper, wax paper, etc. Ours in in a shallow drawer.

- decide how you want to store your herbs and spices. Ours are in a drawer in the island right under where I do all my prepping, and 1 step from stove.

- think about any lifestyle needs you have that you want your kitchen to help you with. For example, a place to store dog food near to where you actually feed the dogs. Or in my case I wanted a "kid stack" of drawers at the end of one run where the kids could get their lunches ready without being under my feet. The kid stack has the lunch boxes, snacks, water bottles, utensils, wet wipes, etc. I wanted the kids to make the majority of their own lunches, so I put everything in the kids stack. I make the hot thing like soup, or the main thing like a sandwich and they pack everything else from the kid stack. Also for sports, all the water bottles and snacks are in a drawer there so they grab and go. You could also plan a drawer right under the coffee maker for all things related to that. We have a coffee maker that has ready-hot water on one side, so we planned a tea drawer and a coffee drawer under where the coffee maker/hot water lives. Also, do you have a desk in the kitchen? I know it's considered out of date, but we do, and I wanted a filing cabinet right by it, so there's a drawer that is the exact size for files. We have 4 kids so there is usually one doing homework there, and I use it sometimes. The files I want quick access to (such as 1 "school papers" file per kid) are there and the rest are in the office. Do you want a charging station? Do you want that inside a drawer or on the counter? We have 2 small drawers in the desk are where there are various cords and a 2 charging ports inside. In there we charge LED safety lights for the cross country runners and bicyclists in the family that go in the dark; also there's room for 2 phones and other things that need charging. It's a bit of a mess with all the cords and such, but a good spot for kids to remember to grab their safety lights before running out the door.

- I don't store plates and bowls and such in drawers; they go in an upper cabinet. But you could put them in a drawer at the end of a run or in an island nearest your kitchen table for easy setting of the table. We usually serve from the stove, so I put those in a upper cab right by the stove.

I got all of this advice a long while ago from people on here, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

Good luck!

petula67 thanked AJCN
  • mdln

petula67 thanked mdln
  • remodeling1840

Have you ever had to unload the things from the front of the base cabinet to access the thing you need at the back? Full extension drawers show you everything in the space. Instead of taking out the Dutch oven, the two small saucepans, and the glass lids to reach the 12” skillet in the back (and reverse the process to put the cleaner skillet away), I can see everything and reach straight into the drawer for just the item I need. For those with hip, knee, or back issues, drawers solve many of the problems of getting down onto the floor-and the bigger problem of getting up. Certainly base cabinets are less expensive, but the daily convenience of drawers is priceless.

petula67 thanked remodeling1840
  • petula67

Clarifying a bit here, although the broader discussion might still be helpful to others in the future.

I meant to inquire about the advantages of drawers over full extension shelves for larger items such as pots & pans.

This:

Quiner Kitchen · More Info

versus this:

Kitchen Cabinets upgrade to Glide-Outs · More Info

So far, it appears that the single motion, extra width, avoidance of door dings, ability to add organizers, and higher sides/backs are appreciated in the drawers.

• tdemonti

Preferring the cleaner look of cabinets, the style of house, plus less cleaning demand, I opted for a strategic mix of drawers and roll-outs. Overall, the space-saving with drawers was negligible. I was also unsure how the drawer mechanism would holdup with weight over time. Do what works for you.

petula67 thanked tdemonti
  • mxk3

I have a mix of both, and I agree with the comments about the functionality of drawers. But, I like the mix of both visually. I have pots, pans, mixing bowls, baking sheets, and cutting boards in roll-outs in the bottom cabinets, and that works just fine.

petula67 thanked mxk3
  • remodeling1840

The inside of the doors will be scratched and scraped because the door must be totally open before you pull out the inside shelf. We had one in our old house and I would never ever have one again. Drawers are one motion, so more efficient, but the big consideration for me is the potential scraping of the insides. I can’t imagine it is cost effective either.if you look at the above post and the picture, you will see you will give up some storage as the width of a drawer vs the width of the pullouts inside the space. My kitchen has very little wall space so I was jealous of every inch of storage I could wrestle from the layout.

petula67 thanked remodeling1840
  • acm

yeah, I have pots and pans in a lazy susan corner cabinet, because it allows for various stackings and widths, so I can't really speak to drawers for those. my kitchen is small enough we could only do one bank of large drawers, although we do have pull-outs in deep pantry cabinets, and that has transformed that kind of storage! we have one regular cabinet that has food processer and mixer, along with all the pesky baking pans like muffin tins.

petula67 thanked acm
    Debbi Washburn

I like a mix. Drawers are great for containment, but rollouts have the ability to adjust the heights or give you side visibility for instance if you are putting canned goods or something like that on them.

It really is personal preference and what size your space is and what you need to store... that makes the bet laid out plan!

petula67 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • recordaras

We have a mix. I definitely prefer full drawers for pots and pans (the inside of our pullout door is in fact all dinged up!), but for less big/heavy items prefer pullouts - we have one for cleaning supplies and I like the extra flexibility when storing taller bottles, boxes of dishwasher detergent etc. That being said we currently have a pullout under the sink and I’ll be replacing that when we redo the kitchen! Lots of wasted space.

petula67 thanked recordaras
  • chicagoans

Drawers all the way for me. I loved having my pots and pans in drawers in my old house. My small sauce pan, which was used very frequently, was at the front of a drawer so a small pull was enough to get it out. Pull a bit more and I could get to the bigger pans.

Now I'm in a kitchen someone else designed with no drawers - it's a pain to get to my pots and pans. Even with rollouts you have to open the door then pull the shelf out; drawers are just better IMO.

petula67 thanked chicagoans
  • erinsean

We put drawers in our kitchen for the pots and pans. The rest are doors with shelves.. I have gotten on my hands and knees to reach things in the back of the shelves and as I get older, it is hard to do. I have two lazy Susans and hate them with a passion. On my hands and knees again getting stuff that has fallen behind them (even with a lip on the shelves). I would go with drawers on bottom cabinets any day. The only exception might be for the mixer because it is tall.

petula67 thanked erinsean
  • Buehl

All drawers for me!

If you store pots & pans in roll out tray shelves (ROTS) and you have framed cabinets, you have to worry about the handles catching on the cabinet frame and dinging it -- that can happen on both the inside (when pulling the ROTS out) or the outside (when pushing the ROTS back in).

If you search the Forum you will find many threads discussing the drawers vs roll out tray shelves.

Pullouts, on the other hand, can be useful for pantries and things like trash pullouts. Pullouts are shelves attached to a door that all pullout when the door is pulled open.

petula67 thanked Buehl