jenniepsi

Need refrigerator that fits against one wall

jenniepsi

I bought a new Cafe refrigerator and my contractor screwed up on the measurements/design and the fridge doors won't open on the left due to the wall and panel surround. Before, I had an old Kenmore side by side, and while i couldn't fully open the left door, it was enough for daily use (which was fine). I'm concerned that NONE of the French Door fridges will work as they all require more than 90 deg typically to access the drawers. GE/Cafe is giving me one week to either find another GE product for a full credit, or I can return and pay 25% restocking fee. Help! Open to ideas on specific models/brands. Thought about cutting into the wall but i really want the door there for my laundry room as i like to close it.

• JuneKnow

You need a completely different kitchen design with a new location for the fridge.

Contractors don’t design kitchens. Kitchen designers should.

• Lisa Dipiro

Counter depth.

What should I put on/against this wall?

i think you need to paint. can you turn the table and set it back a bit behind the bar stools? this way you could put a nice hutch or something across from the island and it wouldnt block the door, also help you divide the spaces.

hard-to-fit refrigerator cabinet

To get anything that wide you start to get into the $7000+ range. Have you thought about getting one that is 36" wide and filling in the other 10" with something like a wooden wine storage rack. Just a thought.

Need help - Accent wall Color against fireplace

I don't see accent walls in houses any more. I think you would be disappointed in the result if you painted the fireplace wall. To add more depth to the room, navy blue curtains would look nice, and I agree that they should be from the top of the window to the floor. Play around with the mantle arrangement. Look at pictures of mantle arrangements to give you some new ideas. Changing mantle decor can really give a room a facelift without having to spend money.

Need Help with Fireplace surround against a stone wall

Thank you for all the great feedback! I know the thought of putting a TV above the fireplace on this wall is not favourable but being that it is our new family room or great room, there really is no other way and still be able to enjoy the fire while cozying up with the family. I love the stucco idea, I had already thought perhaps that would be a great option! So thank you for posting that picture downbytheriver. :) The antique, limestone reproduction ideas are fabulous too! Wow, gorgeous...I would really need to hunt for one to make that work! thanks again everyone!
  • Lisa Dipiro

Or cut into the back wall and push it in

Beth H. :

I bought a new Cafe refrigerator and my contractor screwed up on the measurements/design and the fridge doors won't open on the left due to the wall and panel surround.

How did the GC screw up? What was supposed to happen? and why isn't it being rectified?

The GC could possibly remove the piece on the right side and see if the extra inch or two would help. But the side of the fridge will be visible without the panel.

btw, I bought a GE cafe fridge and was also surprised it wouldn't fully open. It's the counter depth model and much smaller than the Samsung that I had. I figured w/a smaller size fridge, doors wouldn't be a problem, right? wrong. I could barely open that left door. I had a huge 28cu Samsung and the door opened fine.

It's next to an opening like yours. We had to cut this back by 6 inches or so.

I realize you have a door there, and you like it closed with laundry, but it's not going to happen if you insist on keeping the fridge there. Pick your poison. (move the wall, or pay and get a new fridge. but you may have similar problems with another fridge. )

you have a few options.

have the GC fix whatever he did or move the fridge.

Cut the laundry door opening further back so the fridge door can open.

Get a diff fridge, preferably one that is shallower.

*Your fridge really protrudes. Do you have it pulled forward or is this where it would normally sit?

• njmomma

Pay the restocking fee and order new. End the madness.

• emilyam819

Are the new counters installed?

• tlynn1960

I bought a GE counter depth French door (GYE18JSLSS) last year for a similar situation (wall on the left). I had a Kenmore Elite counter depth side by side, probably about 22cu ft, that I was never fully able to open the left side unless I pulled it forward. Not a huge deal since I only rarely bought something that large like a frozen pizza.

When shopping for a new fridge, I went smaller to a 33" width and I don't have pull the fridge forward. I placed it as close to the right counter as I could. This is a two person household so the 17.5 cu ft is fine for us. The two bottom drawers are a little more cluttered than how I maintained the shelves in my s/s fridge, but I'd probably opt for the same in future for this house.

• ILoveRed

I’m sorry this happened to you but why does this mistake happen over and over and over again? Who design these kitchens?

is there any way the contractor is responsible for properly correcting this?

• Hot Rod

Is the fridge pulled out from the back wall, or is it just too deep to fit? Or is the only problem that the left-hand door won't open if the fridge is pushed back all the way?

• Shannon_WI

@ILoveRed - Yes, I feel like every week there is a post on this forum with this same issue. People keep putting their fridges next to walls with no filler between the wall and the fridge.

To the OP, it looks like you’ll need to get a 33” fridge with single door that is hinged on the right. These pics are of the GE GDE25ESKSS. But it is not counter depth. It is hard to tell from your photos if you need a counter depth fridge, or if the fridge in your pics just isn’t pushed in.

• cat_ky

I would see, if I could rearrange something to get the refrigerator in a better spot. It definitely is too close to that doorway. A brand new kitchen, should be better planned.

• latifolia

Will they let you get a Haier

(same parent company)? They make a 33" counter depth.

Obviously your kitchen design is flawed and that fridge doesn't fit width or depth wise. Even if you can get your hand in to open the door, it looks bad. We have been property shopping, and too many people cram extra large fridges and laundry appliances into too small spaces.

Even if your contractor re-arranges the cabinets so your fridge is mid-run, it will still protrude too much. You need a smaller fridge.

• Celadon

A regurgitation of an existing design with no thought is pretty far from a kitchen design. Where was an actual kitchen designer in this? As opposed to a contractor unthinkingly ordering his preferred brand of import white shakers?

• jk113

I think your best bet and easiest is to sell the fridge/return it and get one that properly fits that space. I say that because I’m doubting that you want to rip everything out at this point and start over. Good luck!

• jenniepsi

Thanks all for the responses. I actually have the fridge pulled forward. It can go further back. This was my layout before the renovation. I had a side by side that worked fine before. Only if I needed to remove drawers did I ever pull it forward. My contractor is actually a kitchen designer. She should have checked the door specs for me. Anyway I just want a fridge with external water dispenser that will work in this space. And I’m upset BC I bought all cafe appliances to match and now my fridge will be different. She told me she’d cover the 25 percent difference.

• emilyam819

Looks like you can get a 33” cafe with no water. Do you absolutely need water in the door? Like, is there no other way to fill a glass? People told me to get water in door and I’m glad I didn’t.

• Sammy

Can you provide a link to the model and take a picture showing where exactly in the door opening process the pinch point is happening? Also, pics of that wall/laundry room door area from both inside the kitchen and inside the laundry room.😉

• M Miller

"My contractor is actually a kitchen designer."

She most definitely is not. Fridge placement is Kitchen Design 101. This mistake would not be made by the kid at Home Depot who has been in the cabinet department for a month. Having said that, perhaps you insisted to her that you wanted the fridge to stay there because that is where you had it before, and she decided not to debate with you.

"And I’m upset BC I bought all cafe appliances to match and now my fridge will be different."

No one notices when the appliances are different brands, and no one cares if they are. What kitchens have you been in where you said "ugh, this kitchen's fridge is a GE Cafe, and the rest are Kitchenaid, how awful!"

• Mrs. S

I feel for you, I really do. You have a lot of great suggestions here. But, it is your contractor/GC/kitchendesigner who needs to figure out the solution, at their cost. It feels like you are trying to solve his/her problem. What does he/she say about what the mistake was?

Why would YOU have to pay a restocking fee? I don't understand that.

Why, with a licensed professional (in multiple fields) on board, do you have to figure out a solution on your own? What does the kitchen designer recommend?

Have you googled the kitchen designer? What are the professional licenses that person holds?

• tlynn1960

The GE French door (counter depth) that I referenced in my comment above has water/ice in the door. I don't really care about water in the door, but I didn't want to lose freezer drawer space to an ice maker. The door compartments on the inside are smaller/thinner on that left side, so I just have things like my baking soda box for fridge odors or other shallow items in them.

• partim

How much do you need to cut into the wall for this to work?

Cut into the wall then replace the door with a wider one. Maybe a different style door if necessary (bifold, double door, barn door on laundry room side, pocket door).

Or even just move the existing door opening over. It's a drywall repair on the left side, which shouldn't be a big deal.

• acm

ugh, was going to suggest switching the fridge with the next cabinet set, but I see that the range is next in line, so that's stuck. I'd search fridges by width and clearance, to see if you can find another to fit, or switch to a single fridge door. I'm so sorry your contractor let you down on this one! hope you can find something to work.