ashleyfarwell

I hate my new house color, what do I do?

Ashley F

We tested new colors for our 60s ranch block home for weeks. I landed on Nimbus Gray for the house, Smokestack Gray for shutters and a beautiful yellow door. when I looked at the very large swatches I painted on the house it looked perfect and just what I wanted: a gray with a little bit of blue in it. Now that we have it painted... it looks like a baby blue ocean liner and I’m drinking every night to deal with the regret. this is not the bluish gray I wanted; it’s straight up saturated blue. Not classy.

the shutters are awful, too close to the house color and also too blue. I’m thinking I could easily paint them a warm, dark gray and maybe that would help tone down the Blue-ness of the house. what do you think? do I have other options? Re-painting the house is unfortunately not an expense we can take on. I am trying to think of ways to either tone down the blue house color, or embrace the blue and just classy it up a bit.

To beging get those overgrown hedge plants out of there . Remove the shutters they do not belong on that style of house . Change the front door and the garage door to a MCM style in wood and then paint the house a very dark gray with the wood a natural cedar color would be awesome.This type of combo

• eld6161

I feel for you. You did your homework and yet did not wind up with the result you wanted.

Blue is supposed to bring wealth to a home. So while you are deciding to repaint, take deep breaths.

I would like to know why such a variance in color. We all know that light effects color but I agree how far off this is. Could it have been mixed wrong?

new to landscaping...what plants do I add to the front of my house?!

You could plant hydrangeas,hostas,..or some bulbs along the driveway and the sidewalk and other foundation line.these plants should make a S shape combination for softing the straights.You could plant some small trees such as sweetbay,pagoda dogwood,J-maple...too in left of the front yard.

I need help with my family room, especially the large Fireplace wall. I had a decorator do it and I hate it! I

I wonder what you mean by rust country French? I wonder what style the rest of your house is? If you want white, green and pastels then you might have to work to get it. If you husband wants more formal, then he has got a problem with his rustic fireplace and moulding deficit condition. If you like French/formal, then who chose the couch. Anyway, you have a lovely space, and French stuff often looks formal. Dytecture is right, if you remove the wallpaper, and have the wall the same coulour as surrounding walls, you will be much better off. Frisbee the fussy mirror frame a get a BIG rectangular mirror; a dark frame will be dramatic and match the furniture. Get a BIG rug that starts behind one couch, goes under the coffee table and out the other side of the couch. Get something hand knotted with abrash to prevent visual monotony. I expect that you will want to keep the analogous, yellow/brow to green colour scheme. If you want you could provide a bit more punch with brighter green. Some of the greens are almost bluish - you might want to move them to be more yellowish even if they stay muted. That floor will look good with green about the colour of the Submit button, would you believe. Lovely room. Actually, on second thoughts, the yellow cast of the photo means that the room might not be as monochromatic as it looks. You will get better help if you adjust the photo so that the colour in the photo is the same as it is in real life.

How do I change the color of my exterior red brick house? I hate the red bricks!

As a building inspector, I wish I had a nickel for every brick house I have seen with ivy growing on it where the ivy penetrates the little root like joints into the brick and mortar. Brick comes in soft baked and hard baked varieties. The soft baked brick will crumble and spall after a few years until you no longer have enough brick left in the area to prevent water penetration where the ivy grew and will penetrate to the interior walls. Hard baked brick just takes longer for the ivy to destroy it. And then there is the problem with the furry creatures. Check with your local building inspector and they can show you pictures of what ivy does and will most likely tell you ivy is best intended to hold soil on a hillside away from a structure.

Hate my new granite! What do I do?!

Please try to repost the photo again since it is not attached.......I am sure that there will be good advice for you once you post the photo.
  • Marylee H

Might the confusion have come from the names?

• Ashley F

Yes I’ve wondered if perhaps it was mixed wrong, but I can also blame myself for not evaluating it in enough lighting conditions. I actually do really like it on the back of our house, and initially liked it in the front before they finished painting the trim and shutters.

• Ashley F

Patricia I do love those suggestions but are planning on selling in the next few months so we’re looking for a cheaper, quick fix.

• Ashley F

Marylee I wish! We did test Nimbus Gray because we wanted a bluish tint to differentiate from our neighbors’ gray homes. It just looks so much more blue than we expected.

• Marylee H

I honestly don’t think the names are helpful though. Both the ‘grays’ above are too colourful to be considered as such, in my book.

Might it be feasible for you to paint the window frames a darker blue and lose the shutters? I think that would look well with your pretty yellow door.

• eld6161

Would painting the shutters white be a distraction since the shutters take up a lot of the space? I disagree with Mary, you don’t want more blue.

I would not remove the hedge as more blue would show. Instead maybe plant some things to fill in the holes between the spindly hedge. Or if money is in the budget, remove the hedges and plant fluffy tall shrubs, again covering the blue.

Bring the eyes to the front door. Get two big matching planters and fill them with a lovely assortment.

when I googled homes using Nimbus only one appeared. Perhaps it’s not the best choice for exterior, although popular for interior.

Live and learn. Next time make sure it’s popular for exterior.

Only one house popped up when googling.

And it looks different than Mary’s examples.

• calidesign

I'd paint the shutters white, and also remove the overgrown hedges along the front of the house and the big one next to the garage. You can add a few small, inexpensive, colorful shrubs under the windows. Especially for resale, the front of your house is important, and the very minimal cost to change the landscaping will really open up the view of the house and get you more for it, imo. The overgrown shrubs make the whole house look outdated.

• aunt_chelle

If you are selling it....leave as is. It's not that bad. You can leave as is & maybe (doubtful in this SELLER's market) turn off a few buyers. You can pick the color you love & change it & that may turn off future buyers. You just never know. It's not a huge 2 story home, so if you are forced to repaint, you can...but see what happens.

• partim

Embrace the blue. Paint the shutters white.

The biggest improvement you could make is to give your shrubs a major reshaping. The bottom of your window should not be covered, and those shrubs with the leggy stems and bushy tops should be removed. They are not hiding the blue paint, they just look really weird. To a prospective buyer they look like "work to be done". Same with the large ball shrubs by the garage. Remove them. To a prospective buyer it looks like many long afternoons on a ladder with a hedge trimmer.

Not sure your climate but if you can add a few yellow flowers to the front it would repeat the yellow of your door. Maybe chrysanthemums? Paint the white planter yellow and move it to the right under the long window so it does not block the walkway to the front door. For a buyer walking up to the house, and on the listing photo, you should be able to see the whole front door. It is a welcoming feeling.

• Marylee H

• aprilneverends

Maybe it looks more blue because a) it's a much bigger surface in lighting such and such and also b) precisely because it's next to much grayer houses?

On my screen it looks quite a tame blue..I know you see it much better than me -living there, looking at it all the time, and comparing it with what you wanted; but it doesn't look awful to me, and the buyers will see it first on their screens too.

And who knows maybe when some approach the house they'll like it for being blue.

If you said you yourself continue to live there, my answer might include garage door etc; but you plan to sell it soon, so.

I'd take down the shutters(and store them somewhere), and put a planter with either very blue/blue-purple plant inside. so the house's blue looks less blue in comparison)) or something with white flowers.

Also the brick driveway contrasts with it. Bringing the color out a bit more. So I might put some flowers along it. Not sure. It's a nice driveway btw.

(I drink myself every evening for months already, albeit for different reasons. So i feel for you. But this color is easier to embrace at this point, and just work with it-it'll tone down maybe with seasons' change and when light changes accordingly; when you get used to it; and when you put analogous colors next to it, in pretty shapes of leaves and flowers.)

• ital mover

For what it's worth, I'm fine with the color of your house, but I think the shutters should be a different color.

If I were I buyer I might find white shutters not very startling because of the big white garage door. Have you got plenty of white paper or old white sheets hanging around the house? Go outside and cover up a few of the shutters with white whatever. See if that works.

There are design tools you can play with online that would let you experiment with different colors. You might even find them on sites like Benjamin Moore and other paint manufacturers.

Next suggestion is to get with a landscaper before you sell the house and see if there is something you can add to bring the eye further down the driveway -- create a vignette at the curve on the right. I also suggest something tall, maybe vines growing up a trellis, in the corner at the left of the garage door. (For now, I would move the white planter there or to the far left edge of the house, or someplace else altogether, like the backyard.)

Hard to see from the photo, but it looks like you have space to create some surprise and charm in the porch inset. Maybe not, Maybe on both of these to the left of the door?

Ethan Mid Century Planters, Set of 2 · More Info

• ital mover

One more suggestion:

If you decide to repaint the shutters, experiment with painting the two sets of shutters closest to the front door, but simply removing completely the set of shutters on the window that is furthest to the left on the house. They're too small for that window anyway.

• Ashley F

Thanks all! I did some quick photoshop to envision it without shutters completely, and trimming out white windows instead. Seems it could be the cheapest option. What do you think?

also, the white snake plant in the driveway will go back on the porch once the paint dries more. I think that will help a little bit. And we plan on landscaping next, now that the house paint is done.

• ital mover

If you want to try for a mid-century modern look, here's a color to think about where to splash:

• Marylee H

Hi, much better without the shutters. I think I would remove the hedge and plant a mixed border in front to add to the joy of your front door.

🌼

• aprilneverends

Yes! The house doesn't want the shutters.

• partim

I would cut down the front shrubs first, then decide on the shutters.

The reason I say that is that it may look a little bare with just the low landscaping you have, so it may look better with white shutters vs white trim. Any additional shrubs you add are likely to be small.

And before someone give me a lecture on architectural styles, yes, I know that your house style isn't technically an old-style house that should have shutters. But it still may look better with them. You can see from reading posts on Houzz that many buyers these days are attracted to a "modern farmhouse" look which means shutters. And you're doing this to attract buyers with the listing photo.

• Marci

The house is looking much better without the shutters! You need an orange door, though, to complement the blue. That and some landscaping and you are good to go.

• ital mover

yay for no-shutters, and now let a landscaper come up with tweaks from there and show you mock-ups. It's possible a shade of something other than pure white on the bare window frames will add a bit of punch or harmony -- but a landscaper can create a whole picture within a budget.

It is actually quite a nice blue. Drink champagne to it, or smash a bottle of bubbly against the corner of the house to launch its new life, but don't regret the choice of paint overall.

• ital mover

PS: agree with Patricia's suggestion of an orange-ish door and a natural wood modern garage door, if pre-sale budget permits. But I definitely don't think you need to repaint the house (I dislike gray)

Color Zen

It was the shutter color throwing everything off... Shutters removed with white window trim makes all the difference! If you would like to tone down the door for sale, you could paint it a clay color that ties in the driveway. Making that color connection is important. I would stay away from any additional, bold MCM moves.

Beth H. :

agree,, paint the shutters white.

I don't really care for the blue w/the cobble path color, but the white will break it up a bit.

Nimbus would have been a better choice.

I'd remove the yellow. last thing you need is another color. You have blue, darker blue, yellow, white, bright green, peach, rust, taupe, and shade of peachy gray. Those are a lot of colors!! Paint the shutters white and the door white.

or, pull a color from the bricks. here's the brick red rust color

trying to find more of a peach toned door, but can't quite find the right color.

green to go w/the bright grass

orange

Yam

a medium gray pulled from the brick

• flopsycat1

It looks great without the shutters! Prune, remove or replace the shrubs. The orange door might be fun, and is a quick easy fix. Done.

• Kathy Furt

Nope you need a redo. Gauntlet grey is what you want, sherwin Williams. We removed our shutters and retrimmed everything, it looked great. Sold the house, moved and painted this one the same. Your door color is spot on!!

• Kathy Furt

More

• Kathy Furt

And new ranch house

• FinallyHome

I wouldn't remove the shrubs if you are selling in a few months. I will look too bare.

• decoenthusiaste

I could live with the blue but not the shutters or the aging, diseased and bedraggled shrubbery. If I were house shopping, I'd be happy to find nicely empty but prepared beds I could plant up myself next spring with plants that would stay below window height and require little maintenance. As for curb appeal a pair of pots flanking the steps and filled with something that's blooming at the season when you're showing the home would be sufficient.

• Kate

Repaint while it’s fresh and needs less prep.

• Missi (4b IA)

Since repainting is not in the budget, work with what you can. The shutters would be better not there, or if you want to keep them, white. So frustrating when colors don’t end up the way you thought/planned-more so when it’s such a large/expensive area, too. I very much want to kick those shrubs, so really hope you take them out. Someone I’m quite sure can come up with some pretty plants/flowers to put there instead. Yellow is my favorite color, and I like the color of the door, but I do agree about changing it to orange. Patricia‘s MCM idea is lovely, if you can swing the wood.

As far as repainting the entire house again bc you’re selling..I like blue, but if I bought it, I would probably repaint anyway, unless it was specifically what I wanted—let the buyers down the road decide. So I think it a wise thing to not mess with repainting again.

• Kathy Furt

If you’re going to sell just take down the shutters and beef up window molding. That snake plant needs a bigger pot and then cute landscape in front. Let the buyers worry about it. I like the yellow door!

• Abby Mac

Oh, I feel your pain. I spent $300 on samples, $200 or so on the advice of a Houzz online pro, and still had so much trouble finding a gray that didn't go blue. I ended up going with a greener gray, BM Secret, and it's ok. It's unique, anyway. On the back of the house when the sun hits it takes on a purple tinge of all things. Gray is tough, and in hindsight, I'd stick with the list of most popular exterior grays and go from there because they're popular for a reason.

Anyway, I'd agree with the poster that said to paint the shutters white especially since you're planning to move.

• Mary

Paint the shutters darker gray. You’re right, it will tone down the blue and bring out the gray undertone. If you are in Florida, DO NOT paint the door orange! But I’m sure you already know that. I like the yellow, or a rust/red like Beth suggested.

IMO, you might be also surprised at how much the curb appeal will improve if you remove the Venetian blinds from the front left window.

• gritsnh63

I have felt your pain of trying to be thorough with testing colors only to be disappointed with the outcome. Even though it wasn’t what you hoped it isn‘t terrible. I like the suggestions of removing shutters and getting rid of shrubs. If you left the shutters I was thinking of wood shutters and/ or flower boxes. Found an example on Fearlessdiy.com Her example before and after

• Jeanne S

If you decide to take down the shutters keep them in case your buyers want to put them back.

• K Laurence

Don’t do anything if you’re selling in a few months. Who knows? Maybe your imaginary buyer will love the blue. In any event, I don’t believe that a house’s color is necessarily a”deal breaker” for a sale. I’ve had two of my homes‘ exteriors repainted after purchasing them. If necessary, you could always factor in an allowance for repainting into your price.