mtnrdredux_gw

Which do you prefer?POLLS closed, thank you! : )

mtnrdredux_gw

***UPDATE*** CNN has declared a winner, thank you for voting. You may reuse your "i voted" sticker. Also scroll down for a runoff race on electrical cord. (wut?)

DH hung these for me just to compare. They can be placed higher or lower. Ignoring function, which look do you prefer?

TIA

• mtnrdredux_gw

14 to 6

• 1929Spanish-GW

#2, but lower.

• amj0517

I prefer 1

• Toby

#2. I'm going with graceful.

• mtnrdredux_gw

15 to 8.

: )

• usedtobergps

I prefer No lights there if it’s just for looks and not light.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked usedtobergps
  • lisaam

More support for 1

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lisaam
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Hi usedtobe. I think the visual weight is off with just the windows, and that was my primary reason for adding them.

Is that 16 to 8 to 1? : )

• allison0704

#1

mtnrdredux_gw thanked allison0704
  • eld6161

I would like #2 if the neck was shorter. It seems too long to be a wall mounted light.

For that reason, add me to #1.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • just_terrilynn

I’m just not excited Mtn lol.

I think you don’t have the right lights yet. Yes, I would like some little bit of black hehe. Really though, I think as long as you are at it the light could have the right light (closer to #2) but with more visual interest than # 1. If you can’t be extra cool what’s the point?

ETA

Anyway, I like the Thomas O’Brien - Calliope sconces for your room.

Don’t hate me 😊

mtnrdredux_gw thanked just_terrilynn
  • jb1586

To be honest, I like #1 better, but I am not sure that you need any lights there. Either that, or you need to keep looking for different lighting.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jb1586
  • Olychick

I want to like #1 better, but there is something about it that reminds
    me of the inexpensive desk lamps of my youth. Would you consider a
    similar light with a little curve in the arm?

eta: i can't actually see if there is a curve in the one you've posted. I was finally able to switch out the pics

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Olychick
  • mtnrdredux_gw

19, 8 and I think 3 "neithers."

My DDs voted and that brings us to 21, 8 and 3.

No curve, Oly. And they are inexpensive, ie $140 each.

Eld, I think the elongation (of the shade too) was a deliberate choice to make it seem a little, IDK, update or modern? I don't love it.

Here's is the deal, this room is part of the original 1900 farmhouse, and its ceilings are ~7.5' IIRC. That is just limiting, which is why I put in just high hats originally, but I didn't want too many because... "swiss cheese."

I leaned towards one, but was surprised to find i liked 2 as well. I think one is more current, as swing arm lamps in kitchen,s esp farmhouse, are very popular now. But I lack the ceiling height to do a full size one (tried it and removed it already).

• maire_cate

#1

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maire_cate
  • Lyban zone 4

I like # 1 out of your two choices, but I really love trailrunners kitchen lights.

could you use something like hers or would it not be right due to the way you would have to hang yours. Maybe it comes in other colors???

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Lyban zone 4
  • Rory (Zone 6)

#1

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Rory (Zone 6)
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Lyban, I had ones with arms and it was just too much with four like that. I had them up about a week

• roarah

I like 1.

• jellytoast

#1

• mtnrdredux_gw

***** decision made, thank you all so much!! **** #1 is our winner.

Now, wait till you hear this. The wiring will be exposed.

Yes.

It will be cloth covered wire, ie the old fashioned kind. See here: https://sundialwire.com/collections/wire

My electrician thought of it, for several reasons:

1. I already have cloth covered wire on my island pendant and breakfast pendant

2. There is no good/easy place to put a switch for these lights, except one under each, which I don't want to do

3. He has a well-known client in Greenwich (contractors always name drop) who had him use exposed cloth wiring on all her wall lamps and pendants all over the house.

4. It's easy/cheap

This is the kind of quirky vintage detail that totally fits my house and its vibe. So, I am doing it.

Question -- plain white braided or one of these black and white ?

• Sueb20

#1 for sure

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • eld6161

Mtn, do you have any pictures with the wires?

• mtnrdredux_gw

I don't. I was trying to google. It comes straight down from the fixture in a straight line, tacked in place I believe, then plugged in. The plus are vintagey too, but you won't really seem them because that is where I put stuff (toaster, etc) since I don't want to block the windows.

• texanjana

I’m late to the party, but I prefer #1.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked texanjana
  • bbstx

Is there a cloth wire that is similar to the color of the walls?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bbstx
  • OutsidePlaying

#1. I think 2 is just a tad out of scale in length.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • hcbm

Cloth covered wire comes in a zillion colors and styles. The ones you posted look too new and contrast with the lamp. I would look for something that picks up the coppery color or blends with the wall. I am not a decorator or even have a good eye, but I have rewired enough lamps to know that you have many choices including clear and semi-clear so that you see the actually copper wire. In addition, to make them easy to turn on or off you could change the wall outlet to a bluetooth controlled outlet that you use you phone for.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked hcbm
  • Bunny

Haven’t read all the posts.

If you don’t need more light, why are you adding lights? Is it just to have something there and lights are logical? Not trying to be a smart a$$, but why?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bunny
  • pricklypearcactus

I like #1 better.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked pricklypearcactus
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Two reasons. When I designed this kitchen, i was influenced by new builds I had seen that had no upper cabinets. I always disliked the standard American kitchen, with lower cabs, counter, then upper cabs. Claustrophobic (albeit practical). Given the size of my kitchen, i didn't need upper cabinets and so I didn't put them in in most of the kitchen. Ten years on, I realize that left the visual weight imbalanced, at least IMHO. The space to either side of the windows is narrow so not a lot can go there. Lights add visual weight because they are three dimensional (unlike art for example) but won't look scrunched (like shelves might).

Secondly, lighting is arguably the most important aspect of a room. The more you have, the more combos you can play with, esp with dimmers, different bulbs, etc.

HCBM, Yes! (see Sundial link above). I kind of have a crush on the houndstooth. The lights are brass btw. I could go gold?

BBStx, hmm, doesn't seem to be ivory. Putty ? Gold? True white?

• Funkyart

I like the second cloth-covered wire but i'll be honest, i am having a hard time imagining how it will look all together. I think i am sensitive to it because with my vision issues, the pattern would likely be lost and i think that's part of the vintage charm.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Funky, I am now thinking no to the b/w cord, because it does not relate to any other part of the light. I'm now thinking gold (above).

• tartanmeup

The cords will be exposed and the extra light is not actually needed? I'm now in the "no lights" camp, sorry. :/ Granted, I'm an amateur and don't see the imbalance you're looking to address but adding these lights with exposed cords seems like a lot of work for scant need and might end up as visual clutter. A bit like wearing a huge colourful scarf to distract from a slightly crooked nose. (A scarf is easier to add or remove than lights on a wall.) When on, will these lights be showcasing anything worthwhile or serve any possible functional purpose (e.g. nightlight)? If not, why bother? Just my opinion based on the pictures here. Obviously, pictures tell a limited story about a 3-D space so take my opinion with a grain of salt and trust your excellent eye and taste. :)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked tartanmeup
  • Ocotillo

I think whichever cord "disappears" against the wall color best is the route I'd go. I don't see electrical cord as something to feature; let the focus be on the pretty lamps.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Ocotillo
  • maddielee

I’m voting late.

#1, lower and hardwired.

I think the #1 lamp will highlight the cord, much like a picture light does when placed over art.

Will you have on/off switches low on the exposed cords? Will you obsess about keeping the cord straight every time you touch the switch, like I would?

Or is the switch up there on the light? Will it be easy to reach?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maddielee
  • Toby

My vote is for three-dimensional art. We have an art potter friend who makes very interesting wall pieces.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Toby
  • Indigo Rose

I wanted to vote for #1 but I see the decision is made. I would consider another possible option re: the cord. I happen to prefer the aesthetic of a cloth covered cord on a table or floor lamp, but on either a wall mounted fixture or a pin-up lamp, I believe the very nature of the cord, how it is tacked, etc. introduces small aberrations for the lack of the right word, that will introduce an almost competing element, at the least, potentially detracting from the light itself. I would use a brass cord cover to give the appearance of a unit., but then lamp #2 might carry that off better, as it would be repeating that long narrow vertical. I liked #1 for the repeat of the shape of the pendant shades. I'm not certain how a cord cover painted the wall color would look with #1.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Indigo Rose
  • mtnrdredux_gw

We are going to start with the cording, and see if we like it. It is actually very easy to undo; it's essentially like hanging a painting.

If not, we will hardwire and alter the lights by adding a switch on each light. I don't want 4 new wall switches and any other option would be unworkable given all the switches we already have.

I cannot imagine 3 dimensional art in a farm house kitchen? Plus I am awful about art. I can't pick it out and then when I do, I am very fickle.

As always, thx for the help!

• Jinx

I turned on my old iPad this morning, one I haven't used since 2018. This picture was one I had saved in my inspiration album. I thought, I voted wrong!

Anyway, just thought it was a funny coincidence. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw

So pretty, esp the repeated black elements.

• just_terrilynn

Black 😃

mtnrdredux_gw thanked just_terrilynn
  • Tina Marie

I dont care for cords. Since you don’t watch more switches and don’t need the light, consider cheating with a puc light. I have seen it done many times with sconces.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Tina Marie
  • eld6161

I agree with Tina. Personally for me, the cords sill be a distraction. I feel there was a reason why hidden wires caught on.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • blfenton

#2

Is there cord that can be painted? and if so then the same colour as the walls.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked blfenton
  • Fori

What do you call those chandelier scrunchies? I'd prefer one of those, wall color but satin taffeta-ey.

chandy scrunchies

OK, maybe leopard print.

• mtnrdredux_gw

LOL!

• allison0704

I like the cloth covered cords, so them showing does not bother me. It's also very European.

Pristine Acres
34 Reviews
Leading Northern Virginia Custom Outdoor Specialist- 4X Best of Houzz!