Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillsbrowning

Ideas for improving awkward exterior?

Jill JB
3 years ago

Hi everyone! We have purchased this house, despite its strange exterior! The small turret and diagonal front door are strange, not very welcoming and defy any specific style. Behind the lone long window is a stairwell. Not sure yet if the village will allow us to extend the front porch across the front. We may ask an architect for some help down the road, but I’d appreciate any thoughts and ideas! Thank you! :)

Comments (32)

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

I like it! It isn’t like anything else. It is unique. Embrace it. The only thing I think looks a bit odd (and it might just be that I can’t see it correctly) is the stairway window. Does the window have muntins? Or is it just one blank sheet of glass, covered by a closed blind? You might want to work on that. The front porch and turret is kind of cute. Before you do anything....live in it a while. It clearly meets your needs or you wouldn’t have purchased your home. There will be a lot that you can do with landscaping to modify the appearance of the front. Congratulations on your new home!

• JustDoIt
    3 years ago

I love it and would not try to change it too much. Nothing wrong with being different.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I like it too. Embrace the quirky. Can we have a tour of the inside?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

it's cute. a partial wrap around porch would look nice too.

for the stairway window, I'd lose the blind and get grids to match the other window.

or do a leaded glass insert if concerned about privacy. The blind from the exterior view is what's throwing off the look.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I think the only odd thing is the stairway window because the white blind draws your eye to the odd placement and shape of the window. Just remove the blind and leave that window clear. Privacy shouldn't be an issue in a stairway. Also get a larger front door mat - at least the width of the threshold.

• Emily L
    3 years ago

If the light colored siding were the same color brick as the rest of the house, I don't think you would even notice anything. It's the big color difference that draws your eye. A cheap option might be to color match the brick in paint and paint the siding the same color as the brick. It might blend it all together. You'd have to see it on a large poster board sample.

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone, for your feedback! Good point about that window—we definitely don’t need privacy on the stairs! Good idea to try changing the siding color, too. We definitely will live in it for awhile before making any drastic changes. Looking forward to getting settled soon!

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

P.s. Some interior photos! We will be making light updates over time! :)

• rustynail
    3 years ago

What a beauty!

• partim
    3 years ago

A house always looks more welcoming and balanced when the eye is drawn to the front door. Paint it a colour that will stand out, and that looks good with the brick. I picked dark green because of your siding colour.

Your pink shrubs clash with the brick, and draw the eye away from the front door because they are so bright. Try something quieter like hydrangeas.

Plant a trio of tall evergreens below the stairwell window to hide the awkward un-windowed space. Plant the right-side shrub so that it covers the downspout and the corner where the porch ends. It will visually ease the transition to the porch. Add another shrub at the other corner.

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! What a great suggestion—looks totally awesome! Thank you! :)

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    3 years ago

I love it and I ADORE your couch! Can you share where you got it?

• olsenla
    3 years ago

It is charming! I think the only changes needed are in the landscaping like partim suggested.

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Painted piggies—couch belongs to current owner, so not sure. Sorry! :)

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Painted PEGGEIS! Sorry! AUTO CORRECT :(!!!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

The brick is beautiful and the front porch has a unique charm. I really like the soft blue-green trim color. The only odd thing is the white window shade in the stairwell. I wonder if you could dye the fabric to match the blue-green trim. I’d add some mulch to the foundation garden and that’s it.
    Lovely.

• partim
    3 years ago

Glad you like it! For the door colour, I would try to match the siding colour on a paint strip and then find the darker and more intense version of it.

• marylut
    3 years ago

Congrats on your new home! The stairway window seem to be floating on it’s own. Relate the window to the ground with a tall Sky Pencil Holly or a trellis with flowering climber (such as bougainvillea, climbing rose, etc.) The house front door doesn’t directly face the street, but could be very grand if you replace the white wood railing with another wide set of steps to the front porch and add a handrail down the middle where the 2 sets of steps meet. Make sure the porch light shines on the house numbers at night so your address can be seen from the street. And paint the front door so it is noticeable and welcoming.

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

It's an interesting house with a really lovely interior. I can see why you bought it. I wonder if the siding would look better a darker color, something closer to the tone of the brick (though not red).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I like it . It is interesting and this is one of my faves for brick and siding color it might just be the right think for yours

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beautiful inspiration, photo! What a wonderful group—thank you so much for your input and encouragement! Jill :)

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Glad you posted this photo, Patricia. I was thinking of it when I first posted... Has this color of paint ever been identified?? It looks fabulous with the brick tones.

• marylut
    3 years ago

If the neighborhood permits a change to the porch steps, the home could look like this from the street. It looks like you have already decided to remove the blinds in the inside stairwell. And painting the white front door will also make it more welcoming.

Jill JB thanked marylut
  • Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, that is a great idea! Thank you!

• User
    3 years ago

i really love unique houses. If I had bought your house (and I might have!) I would put window boxes on every window, In particular for the "odd" window suspended on the right, I would choose a metal window box something like these (or simpler), which you can line with root-friendly material that lets you plant the vines into the front of the planters, and let them really spill out and trail very long

have fun! It's a great house!

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What a great idea! Love it! Will do! 😊👍🏻

• LilyPearl
    3 years ago

The front door and porch are blocked off because of the side railings and plantings. I’d remove the railings and add steps up to the porch on the two sides that are currently blocked off. This would make the front door more open and welcoming.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Looks like a new development. Why not see if you can track down more of that brick and remove all the railings, wrapping the porch with new brick steps on all three sides? You might change the style of the columns when re-doing the steps. Hang a striking ceiling lantern above the door to draw the eye. Here's a quirky idea to add some interest to the street side. Install an adjustable Bermuda/Bahama shutter on the stairwell window. You never know, light coming in there might have a fading effect on the stairs or surrounds. Then on the triple windows use a fixed awning at the top. Paint them all black and do the same with the front door. Here's a house with the shutters on the top windows and awnings on the lower ones. It is a bit of a tropical look, but your home already has some unique features, so why not add some style?

Modern Coastal Home · More Info

• Jill JB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love the chandelier idea! There’s no fixture there now. That is quite a house! Maybe if we installed the shutters and awnings, palm trees would sprout up and so would sand instead of snow! :)

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Can you provide another photo of your home from the street? And tell us where you are located? That way you can get appropriate suggestions for landscaping and exterior modifications. I confess that what I enjoy the most about your home IS its lack of symmetry and the unusual porch configuration. That said...it is your home and if it bothers you....

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

You can probably grow banana trees in big pots in the summer!