Please help pull this space together...

Angelique

Hello everyone!

The two photos I'm posting here are two sides of the same space (I stood in the middle room, spun 180º, and snapped them). I'm having a hard time uniting the two spaces into a single room... and would be grateful for any help from you pros.

Most of the elements that are present, I'd like to keep. Looking for suggestions on things lik pillows/throws to add to either side of the room. I'm also thinking of changing the larger rug (the one under the sofas).

I'd like to add lumbar pillows to the orange chairs (which are staying, because the seniors in our home love them for their comfort... and we also love their orange color with our homeland suzani prints, which are very personal and dear to us).

The rug beneath the chairs is also a favorite... and I'm having a hard time finding pillow prints/colors that work with the mix.

The linen tablecloth beneath the lamp is a cherished heirloom that adds softness to that side of the room, which I like - especially since it's the color of the linen chesterfields, and I feel it helps to tie things together... but something is still missing.

Not attached to the blue and white porcelain lamp; that was placed there mainly to help unite the space... but not quite working.

Thanks in advance. And apologies about the holiday decor - I know it's skewing the color scheme and may be complicating things.

Do you think orange pillows added to sofas may help? Or some sort of a patterned pillow that won't be too much with all the suzani embroidery? Also, any rug thoughts would be great.

Here again, would love help with lumbar pillow colors/patterns. And would you replace this lamp with something different? Completely open to that as well.

• everdebz

Not sure what all questions are, but I don't mind your 2 areas, and how round rug's center shows, so well with chairs, and with 2 ottomans also.

Large art nearby - wishing for better focus on the 2-chair area, if console could be softer with chalk paint or other good. A bit much with other console too [around the corner?].

The fp shelves wondering if less items. Maybe a different type focus if backs were painted a soft color, and more unified neutral set of items placed on the shelves.

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

I just read about lovely linen - it's fine - but possibly because it's light colored, and tables 'behind' are dark wood -- that's feels some way to you??

Angelique thanked everdebz

how to pull this together - help please!!!

-- Well, I have to say that I don't see much difference in this room compared to 10 months and over 100 comments from everyone. One might kindly ask - what else could we do to encourage you to go the next step/level? I think the colors of the painting are nice with your LR but it is really too casual with your chandelier. A piece from an old master would be more in keeping with that. Add the 6th chair to the table. Complete the set. Lower the chandelier and find a big round rug. You said that you are afraid of wallpaper. Do you know exactly what intimidates you about wallpaper? If you would like something really neat, you could put up brass colored wallpaper where your artwork is hanging. It would tie in with your chandelier and be smashing! If you want a room to be amazing, you must stretch yourself past perceived challenges.

Help pulling together outdoor space- 3 different surfaces!

Have sod installed on the dirt for some green space. Placement of firepit will depend on materials you plan to use for it and where you have enough area for stable seating without being too close to the fire. Also any combustible items should be far from it.

Help please help me pull this together with an area carpet idea!

I agree with Maureen about furniture placement. That chaise in front of the fireplace is a no go. Another option would be to put the sofa in front of the window and put the TV on the long wall. I'm not a fan of TVs in corners anyway. Your mantel is too cluttered and the art has the wrong aspect ratio. You really need a piece of art there that is in portrait format. However, if you face the sofa toward the fireplace, that canvas might be hung with your other two to fill that now-blank wall. That would be striking. Then you could get a new properly sized piece for over the mantel.

Help pulling these two rooms together, please.

If you want to pull these rooms together, you need to make them to "talk" to each other. Monroe Bisque is nice a color and if you want to keep a green accent wall, then you should repeat these colors in different shades with your accessories. I recommend bringing in Monroe Bisque into your dining room and lighten up the room and just keep an accent green wall. Then add accessories such as throw pillows to the couch. Then your rust color curtains (to me from the picture) and your dining room rug will relate to each other. I would remove your existing pillows with red and black circles. Go for simpler and solid options.
  • Angelique

Would something like this work better? Different rug and more colorful items on the shelves?

I will rearrange the shelves; there are a lot of items on there that need to be removed, so if anyone has any tips please share.

The mantel doesn't usually have any of the little pumpkins on it - that's just Thanksgiving decor. It's usually empty aside from the two orange candles on the edges.

I'm having a hard time finding a rug that works with the stools and doesn't seem overwhelming... any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Maybe this works better? Doesn't look right to me for whatever reason...

This is the photo of the other side of the room again, for easy reference...

• petula67

Are you willing to re-think where and how you're using the two suzani-pattern stools? Maybe side-by-side in place of your current coffee table, at the ends of your two sofas, flanking the fireplace, etc? They seem a bit lost in space right now, and they might help tie in your colors if they were more integrated into the room.

Angelique thanked petula67
  • remodeling1840

I love classic round draped tables, but you need pattern on it. The right pattern tablecloth would tie all the colors and patterns.

Angelique thanked remodeling1840
  • Angelique

Yes, perfectly willing to move the stools around - I'll play with placement. We use the coffee table and even have meals on it sometimes, so that needs to stay - but maybe I can move them to ends of sofas or over by the fireplace.

• Angelique

And I like the idea of a patterned tablecloth, but I'm already having a hard time figuring out what pattern won't compete with everything else going on. This is why I can't decide on pillows and rug - I'm overwhelmed by making all the patterns work together.

• everdebz

15w x 28.75H

What color are the curtains?

The rug has deep robin's egg blue?

Lillian Table Lamp · More Info

• everdebz

You could put stool at each end of a sofa -- if footstool, that'd be a good place, and casual. Some patterns are "meant to be mixed." ??

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

What about one of the lamps behind sofa by the chairs to experiment?

Is rug background like your table cloth ? I vote not a problem.

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • Angelique

Thank you! I like this better I think! :)

• rnonwheels
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Looking at your "LIVING ROOM" idea book - I see lots of cool ideas for your room. I like the mix of traditional furniture seating but modern tables, pillows, rugs and accessories. I think you have a few too many traditional items (coffee table, bookcase styling, draped table, some lamps) swap out the ones you don't love for simpler lined modern pieces. I think your rugs might be better with a little less pattern, maybe blocks or stripes would be better. Lumbar pillows with a great modern vibe too will pull it all together. I think painting the back of the bookcases a light blue like the lamp you have above or a blue from the wall piece would be grerat too.

Angelique thanked rnonwheels
  • everdebz
    yesterday

Pretty. Other pretty things seem to 'show' better.

• everdebz
    yesterday

I'd have a Medallion type rug, but don't have a spot for it like you do. Idk what other rug looks like, but seems [and ottomans too] the juicy fruit colors, and I mean that in a good way. Cheerful. What is current issue if you want to share it.

• Angelique
    yesterday

Does this work better, with the stools out of the center? I also added some orange pillows/throw. Or does it look like it's missing something else from the center now? Would I need a larger rug so the stools are sitting on it?

• Angelique
    yesterday

I love a mix of modern and traditional, but also a lot of ethnic pieces with soul/sentimental value... but I have a very hard time actually combining things that look right, especially where it comes to pattern. A lot of my favorite looks use many different patterns on top of each other and it comes together beautifully - but this is where I struggle.

• everdebz
    yesterday

Not a pop but a blend with white railing etc. Soft finish. Width: 16 inches Height: 30 inches

Basilica Sky, Table Lamp, Basilica Sky Finish, White Hardback Shade · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    yesterday

Home-y? transitional Pier 1 look, and Idk if wood or resin. Width: 18 inches Height: 35 inches

No need for this one, if rug has little or no beige.

Gallatin Table Lamp, Beige + Brushed Steel Finish, Cream Hardback Fabric Shade · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    yesterday

Perfect, practically perfect. Orange-y and its relative: muted watermelon.

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

except from here, seems too many items on shelves, but that's what there for. ;)

and why dark rug, unless for practical something... it detracts from fp.

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Not traditional lamp -- like the legs of table/ottomans, does this do something for you? I rather like the blue you posted.

Signature 1 Light Table Lamp in Marble Gold · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    yesterday

Fp traditional and ok, and does this go traditional in good way? Width: 18 x Height: 35"

Signature 1 Light Table Lamp in Blue And Gold · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • partim
    yesterday

I like your style and you have many lovely things. However you also have quite a few so-so things that detract from the more attractive items.

I would remove all the books from the shelves, and all the framed photos. Remove the items (candles?) on the mantle - they detract from the art. They might look nice on the table on a tray in the place of the candle arrangement which is too tall. The tall plant is out of proportion but the pot is lovely - would it fit on one of the shelves in the place of some of the too-small items? The vase behind the sofa would look better on a shelf.

Angelique thanked partim
  • Angelique
    yesterday

I really appreciate all of your suggestions and ideas - super helpful so far, thank you! :)

A few thoughts...

There is a large entry into the room, and moving the two sides of the room any closer together will encroach upon that entrance. We tried it, but it doesn't look right and gets in the way (this is the entry from the garage, and it's how we walk over into the kitchen from there daily, so we can't have the furniture blocking it). Here's a photo...

The orange chairs are facing out because the elderly members of our family like to sit there to watch the television - it wouldn't make sense to point them toward each other, that'd be impractical - as pretty as I'm sure it would be.

I do like the idea of a chess table; I looked at mother of pearl inlaid tables on my last trip to Turkey and loved them... that may also be an option down the line. The table beneath the linen cloth is a dark wood table - there isn't anything wrong with it, but the tablecloth works better there than that table did. I'll still keep an eye out on the perfect table for that spot, though - thank you! :)

In the meantime: I am taking to heart the fact that I need to rearrange the items on the shelves; thank you so much for the formula, decoenthusiaste! I will use your suggestions and will take photos once that's done. I also hadn't thought of painting foam core to fit into the back of the builtins - my husband would NOT be on board with me painting any part of them (he built them himself and it was quite the adventure lol), but he won't mind me adding a removable background!

I played with some of the ideas here. First, stools by the fireplace:

I'm not sure how I feel about that because I do love the stools and want them to be more of a focal point - that feels hidden to me. It also feels like something is missing... not sure how to remedy that.

Here is the idea with the stools at the forefront, with the rug roughed in...

Maybe this orange rug would work better to tie the orange chairs with this side of the room:

Last idea is with the more modern rug... I'm not sure whether this works?

• Angelique
    yesterday

Thank you for all your lamp suggestions, everdebz! I will rough them in tomorrow and see which makes the most sense. I love the modern one... maybe it makes more sense to select the rug first. Hmmm... Also: The dark spot by the fireplace is a fur throw we keep there for the dogs, they love relaxing by the fireplace. I may add beds for them behind the sofas and remove that, because it does take away from the overall look!

• petula67
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I love how the two stools look at the ends of the sofas. The light-colored upholstery of the sofas serves as a great backdrop to make the colors and shapes of the stools stand out more. They also help extend the fireplace seating group out just a bit, visually closing the gap with the other area without impeding the walkway (hopefully).

The orange pillows and the throws look good, too!

Angelique thanked petula67
  • Sister Sunnie
    yesterday

The second to last photos, the one with orange rug is perfect!!

Angelique thanked Sister Sunnie
  • loobab
    yesterday

I like the suzani stools at the edge of the sofas , better than at the fireplace. and the orange cushions on the sofa are good.

I like the oriental carpet with the orange field, it is very vibrant.

But if you wanted a more restful one, you could keep the ivory and dusty blue one you have, too.

If you keep the rug you already have, I would get (or make or have made) a throw for the sofa that incorporates the dusty blue and the orange, marrying the colors.

I would also have throw pillows made for the two orange chairs, not identical ones, but coordinating ones in orange/blue to pick up the color in your wall hanging and the orange of the chair.

I would also use coordinating ones for your sofa.

For example, the orange ones are nice, but they would be improved if they had trim all the way around that incorporated the orange and dusty blue.

The suzani stools would also be improved with solid color welting where the cushion meets the frame. You could do two thin cords of colors. That would depend on which rug you use.

Orange would be great, and either a dark blue or a deep green.

And can you get another tall bushy plant like a fiddle leaf fig?

Angelique thanked loobab
  • Angelique
    yesterday

I love all of these tips; thank you loobab! I'll add orange piping to the stools and start researching pillows!

I'm liking the look of the orange rug and think it helps to tie the space together. I was playing around with painted shelf backgrounds, and I like how that looks as well. Right now, narrowing down between two orange rugs, and also looking at colored backgrounds as suggested by decoenthusiaste...

Rug 1 (same as posted above, now with the colored shelf background that I would try to match to the darker blues of the wall hanging):

Rug 2 (another idea, lighter tone of background color matched to the light blue of the wall hanging/rug):

And the other side of the room for easy reference... I think it works nicely with the pale blue lamp? Especially once I also figure out the pillow situation...

Once the rug/lamp/paint decisions are made, will get to organizing the shelving as well! Thank you for all of your wonderful thoughts and feedback; you ladies are so great!!

• ashtonchic
    yesterday

I loved the stools where you had them originally, they broke up the linear feel of the room which looks forced imo. I would try a different rug with not so many different colors. For example:

Stella Contemporary Area Rug, Orange and White, 8'x10' · More Info

I would then pull pillow colors from the suzani stools for the sofas and orange chairs. I would pick one of your pillow colors and orange to add color to shelves - vases, picture frames etc.

Angelique thanked ashtonchic
  • Angelique
    yesterday

Does this work better?

With stools out by the ends of the sofas...

• everdebz
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

To me, fp at 'back of the photo' isn't seen by us, and quite traditional... so modern type stools 'show' against sofa material, and also extend toward entry.

Why new rug - seems enough items, patterns around. Goes with chairs' rug.

Can we see the blue item on the wall?

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Dare a striking rug, and "you'd better" place only very related maybe creamy white on the shelves! ;)

Just me I have mom's Lenox collection. Plates work too.

Angelique thanked everdebz
    Beth H. :
    yesterday

I like the color combo you did in this one

But I'd prob redo the 'staging' on the shelves, remove the stools, and lighten the accessories a tad.

Angelique thanked Beth H. :
  • ericalynn523
    yesterday

Have you tried switching out the chairs with one of the couches? Not sure if a couch would fit on the other side of the room... (sorry if someone already suggested this...I tried to read all the replies!)

Angelique thanked ericalynn523
  • RedRyder
    yesterday

I like the colorful orange rugs. (First one a bit more than the second, but both brighten the entire room!) Another thought for the back of the shelves - removable blue wallpaper. The peel and stick kind can be taken off and will not take away space like painted foam pieces will. The stools look great at the end of the cream sofas because they stand out more. You can find better rugs for the two-chairs area after you replace the central one. Your first rug is “fine”. The orange ones are “Wow!”

Angelique thanked RedRyder
  • Angelique
    18 hours ago

I'll take a better picture of the wall hanging and post it, everdebz.

Thanks so much for your feedback, Beth H.! I'll definitely be rearranging the shelves once the background is changed! I do still love the stools and think they add soul to the room... of which I'm a big fan. Plus, they make us all smile because they're significant... which adds warmth to the room that it wouldn't otherwise have. I know they're colorful and look a LOT to the eye - which is why I hoped to find a way to make them a focal point in this room. If you HAD to keep them, what would you do to make them work? :) Also, when you say you'd lighten the accessories, what specifically do you mean by that? Thanks again!

ericalynn523, the sofa won't fit on the opposite end of the room... but we also like the symmetry there, so it's probably for the best. I know, creating my own problems lol!

Thank you so much for the removable wallpaper idea, RedRyder! I love that! The only trouble I imagine encountering, would be finding just the tone I need/like. Just looked through all the amazon options and didn't see anything workable there... this: https://roommatesdecor.com/products/grasscloth-peel-and-stick-wallpaper?variant=31643566637159 was one potential option, but it's textured and I'm not sure whether that'll work. Hmmm... something to think about!

• everdebz
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago

Idk what shelf direction you're considering - my q. is what items might you most want to have in groups. I see a few blues....Gold too. Can black frames go on a dark table? to me they don't help the room nice as they are.

Blue like curtains are blue [but are they] might be nice back color.

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    16 hours ago

I do like houzz and perusing. Beth's blue back and blue curtains, both at eye level - just for another to see, here's yellow back/ curtains:

Eclectic Living Room · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    15 hours ago

Seems room has a fair amount to look at. Possibly shelf has items that are 'extra' or too visual altogether. Can this type look work too?

San Francisco Mediterranean · More Info

Home Offices · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    15 hours ago

If rug and more has creamy neutral this for back?

Home Offices · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    15 hours ago
    last modified: 15 hours ago

?

Keiko Aqua Grasscloth Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Colicchio Light Green Linen Texture Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    15 hours ago
    last modified: 15 hours ago

Garden Gate Blue Faux Texture Wallpaper Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Colicchio Sage Linen Texture Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Ordos Blue Eastern Toile Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    15 hours ago

Why are peacocks always appearing on houzz. ;)

Phasia Seafoam Peacock Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    15 hours ago
    last modified: 15 hours ago

A different pattern than what's around, but it's busy likely

Deny Designs Holli Zollinger Terrazzo Wallpaper, Multi, 2'x10' · More Info

Moroccan Wallpaper, Peel and Stick, Mint, 24"x48" · More Info

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • loobab
    10 hours ago

everdebz-

confetti nougat candy, yum!

• ashtonchic
    9 hours ago

I still like trying to make the stools the standout pattern in the room. How about this rug?

Unique Loom Helios Sardinia Orange 8 ft. x 10 ft. Area Rug | Google Shopping · More Info

Also, blue is perfect complement to orange. I would pick up color from stools for shelf background. Also a colored table scarf on table between chairs to tie in.

Angelique thanked ashtonchic
    Galilee Lighting
    2 hours ago

Hi, you can add a custom made glass chandelier enhance the space.

See below a quick idea.

Everything in our collection can be customized for your space. We offer FREE DESIGN SERVICES so we would help with everything you need to illuminate your space.

Let us know how we can help. www.galileelighting.com | 305-807-8711

• Angelique
    just now

I agree everdebz - the curtains are blue and the wall art is mostly blue, so the back of the shelves is best off being blue as well! I love the Houzz examples! Just not sure whether I like the idea of pattern in the back of it; I'm thinking plain would work best because I'm already feeling overwhelmed with pattern lol

ashtonchic I understand what you mean! Do you think this looks better than the patterned rug? Maybe this way the stools are the focus...