Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad_vogel

Need advice modernizing roman brick home

Con V
3 years ago

Hi there!

I recently purchased a 1950s duplex, and I’m in the process of making some major design decisions in including roof, windows, etc.

As the asphalt roof is at the end of its designed life, I was thinking to update the exterior look with either a metal roof or a light grey composite, but Imm struggling to decide what the best concept is for the house both as an investment property or something I may remodel into a single family home and sell down the road.

I‘m leaning towards going the metal route, and fashioning it in light colors all around (as pictured in the inspiration photo below), but I‘m curious how well I could pull it off with the very 50s shape and exterior of the home.

What do we think about the roof material and color (black/light grey/regal white)?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Is the white house your inspiration? IMO that is just a hot mess of design it looks like no one could decide what they liked.I think the brick is what makes the house great so painting the brick would devalue that house instantly. I am not sure what you want it is a nice house other than the drive way on the left . You do say this is a multi family home ? I need more info as to what it is you are asking.

Con V thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

It doesn't need any design changes. Clean the brick and put on a new roof that's unobtrusive, like the current one.

Con V thanked apple_pie_order
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

Love the Mid Century brick home that you have! DON’T mess with its style.

Con V thanked ptreckel
  • housegal200
    3 years ago

I'm with the Don't "Remuddle" This Fantastic House" Club by drastically compromising its very character. It's a great looking house as is--great design, interesting brick in a palette, windows, decent landscaping. Why would you want it to look like the white Macmansion house that is a total mishmash of styles? No to any gray on this house.

You need a warm brown roof, not gray. Research 1950's houses--midcentury styleS to appreciate the house you bought. The style is all about stone, wood, straight lines and windows--no frou frou. The warmth comes from the materials, which shouldn't be remuddled into the latest thing on HGTV. Start a Midcentury Ideabook on Houzz to get a feeling and appreciation for this era of houses. Where is yours located?

Spend your money on any maintenance issues. Keep any renovations in character and very simple, especially if you're renting out the units--the simpler the better. Many young renters totally love the midcentury style. That's what West Elm is all about.

Mid-Century Modern · More Info

Northgate Family Room · More Info

Kitchen Projects Supplied by Peterman Lumber · More Info

Con V thanked housegal200
  • Con V
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice!

assuming I don’t touch the brick besides to clean it, what do you think would be a fresh and aesthetically color combination if I reroof and re-gutter the house (it seems the consensus here is to use a standard composite roofing material like Certainteed Landmark etc.) and install new windows, plus paint over the green-grey wood on the exterior of the house?

Roof-wise, I’m thinking something on a grey scale from light grey (if in keeping with the current roof color) to dark grey or black. the questions from there are:

1. What material (vinyl vs fiberglass) and color for the windows?

2. What color for the gutters?

3. What color for the wood fascia/soffit surrounding the house?

I appreciate any suggestions given how long I’ve been trying to figure this out and the lack of good inspirational houses on Redfin/Zillow with a similar exposed roman brick exterior in Seattle

• flopsycat1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Suggest MCM house numbers arranged vertically in place of current numbers. The house looks very nice as it is.

Con V thanked flopsycat1
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

I would go with the darkest brown or black brown in the spectrum of roofing. And the darkest bronze, possibly even black, windows. NO trim color but the color of the windows. And wonderful looking modern numbers, hardware, lighting.... This is a gem.

Con V thanked ptreckel
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Ask the roofer to bring out the sample boards to prop against the brick for a couple days. Look at mixed brown/gray/black and charcoal gray. A bittersweet chocolate dark brown may look good.

Con V thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Why are you replacing the windows? Why not just paint the ones you have? If you have to replace them not white- black or dark bronze and paint all the trim the same. I like black fox (a really dark brown) or tricorn black (a deep charcoal black).

Con V thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

I agree with the others: the MCM brick house is terrific as-is. Clean the brick where it needs it. Keep the roof light-to-medium in color using composite roofing material. IF any of the windows need replacing, keep them simple in the MCM style. If you have trim to paint, I suggest a grayed-green or grayed-blue in a medium to darker tone. Natural or medium-stained wood if you replace doors. Is there alley access to a garage or are the two driveways the only parking areas?

Con V thanked felizlady
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

Any color close to a dark bronze will look nice (roof and trim). There are a couple of dark browns on that roof shingle chart.

Con V thanked RedRyder