Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shyam_mohan36

New House - Black windows what door?

shyam Mohan
3 years ago

Hi all,

Our first time posting here so appreciate your comments in advance. We are in the process of building a new house. The rendering of the house is attached here.

The builder is providing black windows, but we are confused on the type of door and color. We like the door in the attached picture, but wondering if it works with the style of the house? Second question is whether we should make the door black or bronze? The stone work in the front will be ecoridge cobblefield picture attached). Should the door match the stone or the windows?

Comments (20)

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Is the dormer attached to a room or is it fake? If fake, ditch it as it adds nothing positive to the house.

As for the door, I would paint it a favorite color so it truly welcomes you home

• shyam Mohan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! The dormer is fake but adds covering for our porch. I should have mentioned the door we are looking at is wrought iron.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

I also would do a black front door.

I don’t understand this: “the dormer is fake but adds covering for our porch.” How does it add covering for your porch? (I’m assuming porch means the porch at your front door.) And it’s hard to tell, but it appears the fake dormer is not aligned with the windows on the second floor and/or with the front door. Which makes it look fake.

Otherwise, your house looks great.

• kayozzy
    3 years ago

I believe they mean this dormer:

• shyam Mohan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes sorry I misspoke about that. Yes it will be centered and is fake but it’s a good point. We will talk to the builder. Any other comments about the doors?

• cpartist
    3 years ago

No it’s not a good point. It’s too small and out of proportion and adds nothing. In fact it detracts from what is a nice house. Sort of like a pretty woman with a big, hairy mole on her chin

• User
    3 years ago

I agree that a black door would look great, or a pop of color such as red.

I'm not a fan of the wrought iron door - it doesn't suit the style of your house at all.

• Tanya Shelly
    3 years ago

We are building a house with very similar colors including black windows. We are getting a mahogany door pulling a color from the stone (once we finalize the choice).

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Here is the house without the dormer. I would also get rid of the windows in the gables unless they serve a purpose. As they were put, they looked unbalanced in the gables.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO that door in no way suits that house. I do agree with cpartist about the dormer and the fake windows . I would do a different style door and in a color. How will you access the balcony above the entry ?

• Katie Eagan
    2 years ago

I am looking to do something similiar with colors - could you tell me about the color of your siding? I am currenlty doing black windows cannot make my final decision about the color of the siding - herringbone versus sterling gray by Certainteed. If you have any pictures I would appreciate it!!! House looks great though!

• Tanya Shelly
    2 years ago

Herringbone looks beautiful with black windows and accents. We did not choose it because two of our neighbors have it. I wouldn’t hesitate at all! Our next door neighbor has Sterling Gray but they have white accents because it’s a very light gray. It’s a beautiful color but it will be a strong contrast.

• Katie Eagan
    2 years ago

Any chance you have pictures if the house?

• Tanya Shelly
    2 years ago

The picture I have of the Herringbone is really poor lighting. I’m away for the weekend but can try to get a better one next week. This is what I have…

• Katie Eagan
    2 years ago

Thank you so much!

• K C
    last year

@Tanya Shelly Are those picture of the Herringbone or Sterling Gray?

• Tanya Shelly
    last year

The first is Herringbone but the lighting is so poor in it. It actually looks stunning in my opinion and was my first choice. The second is Sterling Gray and the third is my house which is Granite Gray. We chose it so it would be different than our neighbors. I’m happy with it

• chloebud
    last year

Gotta agree the door style doesn't work. I think the door in your first phot of the house looks better. It looks nice to me when the glass/lites in the door somewhat mimic the house windows. I do like black for the door as it appears in your rendering.

• K C
    last year

@shyam Mohan can you share a pocture of what you decided on?