Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele_davis5

Need an easy facelift for a checkerboard tiled bathroom

Florigina
3 years ago

This full bathroom is located in the only bedroom on the main floor of the house (off of the kitchen). Posting the bedroom to give full visual. Original yellow paint is in both rooms and I was planning on leaving it (for now) and covering up the tiles with vinyl until a major-bathroom reno will be done.

However, the majority of friends say to leave the tile and a change of paint will solve the issue?

So... any advice for colors (white? gray?) How will the white mirror look on the white walls?

This bathroom has a fitter-style shower/tub and it needs to stay for now, but recommendations for a curtain would be great.

I'm guessing the yellow should go everywhere, so do I use the same paint in both? Try to tie them together? Right now, they don't match IMO.

Happy for your thoughts? and links?

Thank you all.

Md

Comments (21)

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I think white will be hard, since you have so many different whites already.

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I for one really like the tile too. Nice bathroom. How you'd describe the style of the house?

No the rooms don't have to be painted same color. Colors must have something in common though. Like color temperature, for example.

Say almost everything will work in the bathroom, it being black and white. Very punchy colors or jewel like colors or dramatic deep colors or lighter neutrals like light gray or green.

But not every color will work in the adjacent room-because of the earthy carpet.

Hence your feeling that rooms don't match, I think -the carpet reads a bit off next to the tile. It stays for now though, yes?

So the color you pick for your bathroom needs to work with the one that will be in the carpeted room. The carpet limits the color scheme, not the tile.

You seem to like current yellow(btw it's not that bad with the tile-but could be better I agree)-you can leave it in the room with the carpet( even though I might change it too, for a different color) And choose say light silvery green (if you like green) for the bathroom. Will still work with the yellow if it's "warm" enough.

Or you can choose, say,some sophisticated pink. Not everybody looks their best in the mirror when surrounded by greens and blues-I know I don't, even though many people prefer bathrooms to be blue and green. But I choose warmer colors whenever I can -just to like myself better. Depends on one's complexion.

You've got many choices in that small bath. Including whites-but you're right, the mirror might get lost a bit. Depends on a white..hundreds of shades of white too.

And then in the adjacent room..well. Here I'd need to know-what will be there? Besides the carpet.Furnishings you have already? Favorite fabrics?

PS sorry for the typos

Florigina thanked aprilneverends
  • aprilneverends
    3 years ago

oh me and cawaps posted simultaneously-and I must say that if yellow in the big room stays, then I really like deep blue and that purple, both with tile and with yellow paint if yellow paint stays.

Then I'd "borrow" them for accessories in the room. Doesn't have to be a lot.

• lmckuin
    3 years ago

Don’t cover the tile with vinyl! The checkered tile is great. I think the bathroom looks nice - just keep a color on the wall - yellow, blue, purple - they all look good so whatever speaks to you. Add a simple good quality white fabric shower curtain, good quality fluffy white towels and put some art on the walls.

• Florigina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you (both) for the quick responses. I had not thought of the many whites that could play up but you're right - white on white is not a definite match.

Aprilneverends - no, I am not committed to the carpet. It came with the house. It is the same carpet that is the complete upstairs flooring - which we are contemplating changing before we move).

Overall, it doesn't offend me but we do not live in the house yet (was hoping to move in December but the 'projects' are growing and I think I'll wait the few weeks). The house under complete paint reno and some of it is proving to be very challenging - really isn't fair to say the house colors bc we are still painting as we speak.

I gravitate to warm and cozy (wood floors - dark furniture - earth tones) This bathroom is out of my comfort zone but I'm willing to play with it.

This is the color we picked for the house paint (BM Final Straw) and the kitchen is BM Kilim Beige. (the arrows are from another post about what to do with those two colors - Although I'm thinking that the left over blue paint can be used in the bathroom after looking at the pics above)

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    3 years ago

Wow, you're certainly doing this the hard way. Paint colours need to relate to fixed elements. If you're changing the carpets, their colour should have been considered when choosing the wall colour, especially if it is a complex neutral paint colour.

I agree with anyone that says "keep the checkerboard tile and change the colour". The egg yolk yellow would be fine in the bathroom (everything, except earth tones goes with black and white!!) but it certainly isn't doing any favours to the very earthy beige carpet in the adjoining bedroom. The bedroom colour is the first thing I would change.

If the carpet stays, you could imagine a day at the beach to come up with a colour scheme for both rooms. The carpet is sand, the wall colour there is some creamy white like BM OC-9 Ballet white to evoke the idea of sails or clouds, and the bathroom wall colour is an atmospheric blue/green like BM HC-171 Wickham gray or slightly bluer BM 2122-40 Smoke. This would allow you to do a plain white shower curtain and towels, or white shower curtain with darker blue towels. The bedding could then be done in something from the blue or blue/green family relating to the bathroom wall colour.

Florigina thanked Elizabeth Minish Design
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    3 years ago

I would like to see a pretty turquoise in there with the black & white tile. I love the floor!

• Florigina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes - overwhelmed by the projects and empty house allowed us to plan out. This started with darkening the floors and I was hoping for an all-over house color, but I am out-matched by the lighting in this house and every paint color shows it's strong undertones, but I was in a hurry to move in by Thanksgiving.

Since we are pushing moving in for a few months - I have the ability to step back and re-group. Hence - why I'm looking at painting that bathroom.

I like the ides of softer, beachy tones too. (definitely need to be done with that yellow - egg-yolk is a good description of it.

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

That floor is awesome! Any color will work on the walls...I'd choose one to complement the bedroom carpet (if you decide to keep it).

Florigina thanked Sammie J
  • shivece
    3 years ago

We had a similar black and white bathroom when I was growing up. My Mother - who hated wallpaper - found a subtle flower/vine patterned wallpaper with a predominantly black background that was perfect for it.

Florigina thanked shivece
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Love the bathroom!

Paint the bedroom walls, though. I suggest B.M. Polaris Blue, as it will work with the bedroom rug, the yellow bathroom walls….

If you really dislike the yellow bathroom wall, then paint it, too, Polaris Blue. It’s great with black and white.

• Florigina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the feedback and I definitely have homework this weekend now.

Let's just pretend that I change out the sand color carpet in that room - Suggestions? The whole main floor is hardwood floors (stained Special Walnut). I could just lay that in the bedroom.

It's an open canvas, really.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I would personally have zero problems with your bathroom + bedroom colors. I like gold in bathrooms and bedrooms. It's opulent, imo.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I'd do a simple shower curtain, all white or something like this.

And maybe bring in some black and white art.

Florigina thanked freedomplace1
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Maybe a rug in front of sink, if you want to cover some of tile.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Or, if you're a grey lover, you could keep gold in bathroom and do something like this in bedroom.

Or maybe some blue, with black and gold.

• suzanne_m
    3 years ago

I am not good at colors so I won't comment on this but I just want to tell you that I love your vanity (especially the legs) with your floor. :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

how high is the ceiling?

first thing I'd do is get rid of those blinds!

change then paint, and do some slight modifications. everything else is fine.

for instance, you could do a walnut stained beadboard on the ceiling and add a cool light fixture. trim out the window w/black, get a nice roman blind

you could also do a painted white paneled ceiling. any room for a vintage linen cabinet?

shiplap would be appropriate in there. black ceiling, black trim around window and a nice fresh white blind. add some greenery

black ceiling, white lights, bright green/yellow accents.

Here's the blue color mentioned. add green towels, new lights, new window shade

black walls, maybe add some white tile wainscot

As you can see, there are tons of ways to work w/your bathroom.

Florigina thanked Beth H. :
  • Florigina
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :definitely giving me homework on the idea of nixing the blinds. That is one I had not considered. No extra space for a linen cabinet but I may steal that idea for a nook in my master bedroom/bathroom. I'm not living in the house yet, so I'm not brave enough to paint the trim black (yet) but I'll keep that look on the back burner. I like it.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Get rid of the blinds and do a nice roman shade in a soft blue print. Then use that color blue on the walls. I'd get rid of the carpet if I could. That particular carpet has a dated look.