Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandabtx

I need your dual vanity design help.

mandabtx
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I need help selecting lighting for our dual vanity master bath. Sink cabinet portions are 27”. The sinks we have currently selected are 19.5” wide. Do I have room to do mirrors with dual sconces on each side? If no, can I mount on the side wall on each side?

do I scrap the dual mirror look and do one large mirror with lighting overhead? our home is almost 100 years old so we are trying to select traditional finishes.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

The sconces you like, stick out a bit far for a side wall mount, plus that would give you uneven light, depending on the era, they would not have had duel sconce look anyway. I also think to mirrors might look 'stuffed' in either corner, one large mirror I think would be better with a 2 light sconce over each.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

I find myself agreeing, as it does not look like there is enough room between sinks and sidewalls for sconces to go on both sides of the sinks, even if you had them installed into the glass of a wall-to-wall mirror. I would also like to point out that the sconce choice you have shown is rather MCM, not traditional.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Your vanity is in a niche Have your contractor create/ install a simple molding frame and stain to match cabinetry. Do all four sides. and THEN have a glass company template inside, and install the mirror. .Go right to the niche edges and riser with the molding, and as high as light specs, and ceiling height will allow.

You dual idea wont work, you have too much gap between sinks. This will give you a finished look, great view and light. A bigger look to the room as well and a bouncer of natural light as well.

AND A FRAME.

Ps...the 7'6' is pencil error. Often a home this old is 7'2".) and a bit low. A three inch frame will do it.

Frame finish other that cabinet match, depends your counter top : ) Which is............?

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Just a suggestion. The cupboards under the sink. Do shorter doors with a large drawer underneath. You may have to change your middle drawers to 3 or more to get things to

line up. Much better use of space under the sink.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

No offense intended Angel, but completely unnecessary, and for all we know this vanity is in the works, on order, or nearly installed. Not to mention a possible alteration to plumbing. Nothing wrong with the vanity, just wasn't thought through with the mirrors ( desired look ) and lighting at the onset of planning : )

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

no offense, that's why I said it was a suggestion. No plumbing changes have to be made,

i just did it - gives one a shelf with a drawer below, instead of just a shelf under the sink.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

I understand. Ninety nine percent of the time, these questions are posted .......................well after they should have been asked. Which is at the initial design.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I think Jan's sketch is the way to go. Frame the single large mirror and put the sconces above, evenly spaced. I agree that choice of light fixture is a bit out of step with the other finishes. I'd go with perhaps a more schoolhouse/industrial look. Something like these, perhaps?

1-Light 6" Sconce Matte Black - Bulb Included · More Info

1-Light 5" Sconce Polished Nickel - Bulb Included · More Info

• mandabtx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for input. None of this is final. It is a design. I appreciate your suggestions.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

As always most of these decisions are best made with more info...but as a stand alone question...i also agree with Jan...tho’ i always think separate decorative framed mirrors and lighting is prettier and never like sinks hugging the walls so closely...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

In a niche setting ...more space between sinks and end walls allows room on the end walls for pretty and convenient towel bars as well..

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

This vanity area was not designed correctly as there should have been elbow room on either side of the sink, and assuming nothing can be changed at this point, these are the best layouts I can offer. These don't have to be the actual sconces, but you get the idea.

Bevel Edge Glass Mirror cut to fit

• mainenell
    3 years ago

Angel - in our area there are MANY homes with pipes coming up through the floor. When I worked at a box box store it was the first question I asked customers looking at vanities. Do your pipes come up through the floor or out of the wall?

• mandabtx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all. Vanity layout is being changed (drawer/sink/drawer/sink/drawer) to provide room for my double sconce and mirror desire. I do not want white as concurrent kitchen remodel and laundry addition are white. Need something different.