Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Headboard help--aka, Let's shop!

jojoco
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We're finally getting rid of our old Ethan Allen four poster queen bed frame. It is circa 1990, and has classic, elegant lines, but the previous owners of our home put in beautiful brass sconces designed for a king size bed in the MBR. Our bed is a queen and It's annoying to not be able to easily turn the lights on and off. Yes, we could move the lamps, but I'm ready for something new. We'd like to get a king sized bed with either a headboard only or a complete bed frame.

The room is large and has a sitting room attached. The dressers are cherry and rather nondescript. They don't have to stay, but they are pretty neutral. Same with the faded oriental rug we have (I'll probably replace it.) The walls are yellow, but easy to change and we have French doors out to a deck.

So I want to center the room around a new bed. I'm partial to upholstered, but am open to anything elegant. I don't like metal bed frames or fussily shaped headboards. That said, I don't want anything clunky either. I know, I"m contradicting myself.

So, does anyone want to help me shop?

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I have a slipcovered headboard and I like that option

• homeatlast
    3 years ago

I have the upholstered Colette bed from Crate & Barrel and am happy with it. It comes in either headboard only or complete bed with upholstered rails.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

We have one similar to the one from Crate and Barrel shown above, although ours is a more rectangular headboard with two rows of antique brass nail heads. We found it, and other styles, at a local furniture store.

We upgraded to a king a couple of years ago too. I wasn’t sure if I would like the upholstered frame but I find it easy and it hides the bed frame, eliminating the need for a skirt, which I didn’t want.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I like this. There are 12 frame color choices and over 30 fabric choices. And, it’s on sale.

edited: had wrong link

https://www.perigold.com/furniture/pdp/caracole-classic-solid-wood-and-upholstered-low-profile-platform-bed-drru1264.html?piid=44722866%2C48117559%2C44722644

• cran
    3 years ago

I just went through this same thing. I opted to reupholster our headboard. We bought new mattress and box springs which opened up a whole new can of worms for a bed skirt. If I had it to do over I would get the upholstered headboad and the matching frame. Take a look at beautiful beds on Instagram they have wonderful custom made beds...lots of idea there.

• rubyclaire
    3 years ago

Not sure where I heard about this company - maybe here - but they do custom headboards and beds. Might be worth a look...

https://coleyhome.com/product/the-crown-bed/

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

I like Mtn's idea of a slipcovered headboard. Then you can have it laundered or dry cleaned and change it out for other looks. Upholstered headboards don't appeal to me. Most of ours are iron, the one in the small guest room is Art Deco inlaid wood that we found in an antique store.

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

My preference is wood, stained or painted. But I love mtn's slipcover idea - especially if the slipcover cah have some padding to it, maybe a quilted fabric? It's the clean-ability that appeals to me.

• User
    3 years ago

I ordered a queen size upholstered bed from Ballard for DS2’s bedroom in our new house. It took several months to make and ship. I love it and it looks great in that room. However I would probably not buy a fully upholstered bed — headboard, footboard and side rails— in a king size unless the bedroom was cavernous. It’s a lot of fabric. That said, I think in the right spot it would be fabulous. if you do choose any iteration of upholstered bed I’d get it treated with microseal.

I first learned about that space age fabric protectant technology on this board from Threeapples, if anyone remembers her. The treatment is expensive but effective.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

kswl, glad to know about microseal. I am having my MBR headboard reupholstered in white linen.

jojoco, do you have any “full-service” fabric stores nearby? The headboards for the twin beds in my guest room are being made at a fabric store. The ID I’m working with suggested using them. The headboards are well made and I get to customize height, fabric, nailheads, etc.

And then there is Pottery Barn with loads of choices. When Mtn mentioned that her headboard was slip covered, I was reminded of the slip covered headboards PB used to carry. I think there are a few slipcovered headboards still available at PB.

I like the simplicity of this headboard

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

TinaMarie, was this the bed you saw? It is from Kohl’s. I love this bed! We have an upholstered bed. I like it but do have to vacuum it often.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Bluebell yes!! Louisa had a spread in one of the Christmas magazines. I believe that bed might come in a light color too. (Yes I did actually look the bed up although we do not need a bed! Lol)

• bac717
    3 years ago

Would you consider a cane headboard/bed? Here are a few examples from Ballard Designs and from Frontgate

• bbstx
    3 years ago

If you want cane, be sure to look at Serena & Lily - 20% off and free shipping until 11:59 pm on 12/1/20

• Peppapoodle
    3 years ago

I bought a super cheap upholstered headboard from Target years ago. It’s like a cream cotton/linen. I’ve put quilts. Table cloths & large fabric swatches (stitch witch edges) to switch up the print. Allows me to change the decor without a lot of investment!

And micro deal is ammmmaaaazzing! We had our upholstered bar stools & sofa treated & red wine just comes right out. And we’ve spilt a lot of red wine 🍷

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Mtn, I thought a slipcovered headboard would be great, but when I checked some out a while back, all said "spot clean only." I was hoping for something I could wash if necessary. :-(

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

My cover comes off and washes. I thought I got it from PB, but when I called to get a new cover, they said they don't have slipcovered headboards and never did. (?) It's easy to enough to have one made.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Mtn, I distinctly remember that PB had slipcovered headboard because I thought they were so cool! Quick Google without much effort turned up this one. You got a newbie!

ETA: There are some on ebay, for example

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Thanks, Mtn. i will keep looking. Of course, the spot clean notation could just be a cya thing. I cannot see why the whole thing isn't washable. I wanted it for a guest room, so wouldn't need washing often, I imagine. Never until the pandemic is over really!