Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
advokam

Asking for Input on a '60s Ranch Bathroom Update

KD JS
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello! We are updating a galley bathroom in a late '60s Ranch (owned by a family member since the early '70s), but have encountered a few challenges and are looking for creative workarounds/suggestions. In the pics, you will see this bathroom has:

• carpet flooring
  • an alcove tub with a window (no shower)
  • narrow and low (69" x 16" x 31") bathroom vanity with the tiniest triangle sink
  • fabulous large vanity mirror hinged on each end–one end hides a medicine cabinet

We plan to install:

• a (new) tub/shower combo with handheld shower
  • ADA toilet
  • new light fixture
  • solid surface countertop
  • narrow sink (considering Staron B3190)

We have purchased/chosen:

I also really love the look of a simple stamped floral tile (like this and this and would like to find something that plays well with the detail on the mirror frame, but is relatively timeless. I can share the looks I like in the comments if anyone is interested.

The master bathroom shower extends into the space behind the vanity, so we do not have the option to make the vanity deeper.

Challenges we want/need help with:

• sourcing a narrow sink
  • whether to keep or replace existing window
  • choosing decent quality gold-toned fixtures with a handheld shower option
  • easy to maintain backsplash and shower surround options

I have been relying on Houzz for renovation research for over a decade, but this is the first time I have reached out for help. Thanks in advance for suggestions and words of experience/wisdom!

Comments (16)

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Are you converting the tub to a tub/shower combo? That would be the first thing I would do, as the current set up is not functional for anyone who takes showers. No one is going to shower like it is now. Use an inexpensive subway tile for the tub surround. Hang a shower curtain to save money. Rip out the carpeting and I'd do the french oak in the bathroom as well. Can you replace the vanity? I wouldn't want to put money into a new sink and top without addressing the fact that the vanity it too low for todays standards. Maybe someone can replace the doors and drawers and raise it somehow, or remove it and put legs on it and reinstall it. However, this may need to be a custom vanity. Keep the window in the shower if it is watertight. I don't love the countertop and the flooring you've chosen. The flooring reminds me of older linoleum styles and the countertops look a bit dated as well.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO you need to provide a to scale floor plan , a budget and some idea of your style. Right now I have no idea. Is it nessessary to have atub in this bathoom or is there one somewhere else/ More info more help That tub looks smaller than 60” long so when doing the floor plan make sure you show the meaurements of that space for sure.

• Gwendolyn Hayes
    3 years ago

When we were redoing our 1950s bathroom I found that Maax had a wide variety of sizes and depths of fiberglass tubs. One option for the vanity would be to do one of those sinks that stick out beyond the vanity. I think you buy them as one unit. I've been told that vinyl plank floors are waterproof, so consider installing the same floor as the rest of the house. That would look really nice. For the tile consider a colored tile from Daltile in a 6" square. It will keep the style of the old bathroom bit be clean and fresh. We put in a beautiful aqua blue. You can add it as a backsplash and even run it behind the toilet to get a really nice cohesive look.

• KD JS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl - Thank you for the feedback. I see I need to edit the original post for clarity on the shower. Thank you for pointing that out!

Tub/Shower: YES, we plan to have a tub/shower combo, which is why we need to determine what to do about the window. I meant to communicate that we want to choose a plumbing fixture with a handheld shower head (because they are more scarce in gold-tones).

Floors: My personal preference is for a tile look in the bathroom and I love floors that add to the character of the room, even if it is subtle. I also typically prefer Mid-Century–including, but not limited to Modern–design over contemporary or on-trend, so this may be a matter of personal preference. If anyone knows of an LVT reminiscent of an "old house" bathroom or the patterned tiles I linked, please share! Alternatively, if I find a shower tile or backsplash that keeps the interest away from the floor, I might concede and continue the French Oak in the bathroom.

Vanity Height: We have discussed how it might be raised, but keeping the mirror limits the vanity height and replacing the mirror with something of equal function would be expensive. The cabinet is solid and in excellent condition and being so narrow, replacement would be a significant expense. We have discussed a vessel sink on top of the counter as well (which would increase the sink options). If we can detach the cabinet intact, we are skilled enough to add height to the top or bottom DIY–at least we know it will fit through the door since it is so narrow! ;-)

Countertop: Because it is such a small area, I looked at remnants locally. The actual slab I selected looks almost white with only subtle variation. I was surprised to see the sample in the store looked more beige and seemed to have a lot more color/-very different from the piece I selected. While it still might not be your cup of tea, the examples I saw online are not indicative of the remnant I selected.

Window: All of the windows in the house, including the one above the tub, are original metal casement windows in very good condition. One of the contractors we spoke with said it would be fine, but I would like confirmation.

Thanks again for the input; I truly appreciate it!

• Suzanne
    3 years ago

I don’t mind the window, I personally would do shower doors with a white Subway tile and it would look awesome. i like your idea for floors. Do you have to do gold or is that a preference? I would do white tile with black fixtures.

• KD JS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting - Great questions! Will work on sharing a scaled diagram.

Budget: The neighborhood attracts first-time buyers as well as retirees who are downsizing, so we are looking at mid-ranged options that will age well.

Style: Eclectic; I love Mid-Century design and function and have tremendous respect for spaces that are true to their architectural style and place in time. I am a creative and not afraid of color, but color can come from art rather than materials and I think function is essential to form. I always consider quality and maintenance requirements when making a design decision. I don't know if this is specific enough, but it is what comes to mind.

Tub: The other bath has a shower only. I like to take baths and we have dogs be bathe, so tub/shower is preferred. The tub space is 60" - can't go larger, but it will accommodate a 60" tub.

• KD JS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Gwendolyn Hayes - Will check out Maax - Thanks! I do enjoy taking baths and there is enough space to put in a wider tub if find one we like. I do not like showering in fiberglass tubs that flex. Presuming you did install a Maax tub, would you mind sharing which tub you chose and what you do/don't like about it? Thanks in advance.

I have considered a vessel sink with a bit of overhang, which would also might make it seem higher than 31". Finding a sink will be an interesting challenge for certain.

As I mentioned in another reply, IF I can find a tile-look floor I love, it is preferred to continuing the wood look into the bathroom. I chose an LVT with a cork back for my kitchen in 2012 and I still love the floor, especially the way it has held up to two large dogs with a pet door! It is tested and proven waterproof and way easier on my joints than any flooring option I've live with. No regrets!

As for tile, I am not opposed to a 6" square, but the bathroom will still need some pizzazz for me to love it. Hoping someone will have a suggestion that causes me to say, "YES! THAT is what I am looking for!" This house will be a family vacation home with regular guests and i want the bathroom to be functional, inviting, and enjoyable for all who use it.

Thank you for your input!

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

What are the ages of people who will use the shower/tub? Or the other bathroom's shower?

• beckysimpson1
    3 years ago

I love the huge window. I've seen where people use a shower curtain to protect the window from shower water, and then you can keep your big window.

• Gwendolyn Hayes
    3 years ago

This is the type of sink I was referring to. They don't have much storage but they have a much smaller footprint. I've seen them in lots of narrow bathrooms.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Consider replacing the window with a clerestory window that opens, installed up high above the splash zone.

• weedyacres
    3 years ago

A few ideas to toss into the mix:

1. Make the vanity taller by building a box out of 1x4s on their edge, removing the counter, and attaching it to the top of the existing vanity before installing the new counter. Easy to paint white to match.

2. Change out the doors and drawer fronts, unless you're wanting to keep the slab look to maintain the mid-century feel. But if they're tired, they could be replaced.

1. Make sure the window is well waterproofed before you tile. If you're going to keep it as-is. We replaced an existing tub window with a smaller 100% vinyl shower window that allowed for better privacy. Details here. We had vinyl siding on the outside, so it was pretty easy to do.

2. Does your countertop fabricator have access to smaller depth sinks? They might be a good expert source to ask.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I also dislike the flex in an acrylic tub. They also don't retain heat well, so baths are not great. If you can get a 60 x 32 tub in the space, the Toto is the one I recommend to my clients for an alcove installation. It is deep enough for a soak, but not too deep for showering. It's available from most plumbing suppliers that carry Toto products. There are others, but many are too shallow for a nice soak. https://www.amazon.com/TOTO-FBY1525RP-01-Fby1525Rpno-01-Enameled/dp/B001HYW9HA

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

IMO, I would not use both vintage tiles in the bath. I'd pick the one with the most pattern, and then use a plain white tile for the rests. The other with the pattern in the corners, just looks VERY dated. The larger pattern (although vintage), could pass for some popular encaustic tiles we see today. I don't think the speckled countertop goes with either tile. I'd select a plain white quartz or corian for the vanity top.

• KD JS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl - Any suggestions regarding tub/shower and sink faucets? Thanks in advance.