What do you remember?

Comments (47)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Penny loafers

• hallngarden
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Oh yes. My issue was making sure seams in my hose were perfectly straight. Easter at church was very important to us. Started out with a service at sunrise. Would sew for weeks to have perfect outfit. One Easter I made my dress, duster and my hat. Saved my pennies for new shiny shoes and my hose with seams. we always dressed in our best little feed sack dresses for church , but Easter was always a very special day. Can you believe we had to actually stand up and walk to tv and change channel. We only had 2 channels when we finally bought one. Oh I almost forgot, the starched petticoats I wore underneath my dresses.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Cap guns. When the cap gun broke I would line up the red paper strips of caps on the sidewalk and hit them with a rock.

Clamp on roller skates. They fell off your sneakers or pinched the sides of your foot in leather shoes. But, my skate key was on a string around my neck and off I went.

I disliked color TV. I remember watching the news and the men had big pink blobs of faces and their suits and ties were black and the shirts were white. I used to turn the color button all the way down so it was B/W. ( Maybe early color TV did not look so good )

• salonva
    3 years ago

oh all great ones thank you! I remember storing plastic "charms" in cigar boxes. That's what everyone did where I lived My dad never smoked. I think we ot the cigar boxes from the candy store down the street. The boxes were like this.

trying a new way to copy images.

• salonva
    3 years ago

ok well that didn't work- on houzz

--- have to do it the old fashioned way

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Stretch pants with stirrups.

Elastic bootstrap to hold all your school books together.

Subway tokens.

Straightening my hair with an actual iron.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago

I remember all of the above. I also remember going to a one room school house, 5 grades in one room, a pump in the school yard for water and an outhouse for the restroom

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Beatle cards

Scooter pies

45s

• lucillle
    3 years ago

mini skirts

fish net stockings

Belt and pads for your period

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

DH is old enough to remember ration coupons.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

Cap guns. When the cap gun broke I would line up the red paper strips of caps on the sidewalk and hit them with a rock.

I did the same thing!

I remember my 1st tv w/remote - after I married. we only got 3 channels. and they all went off at midnight and didn't come back on until 6 or 7 a.m.

I've been watching a lot of very old westerns - in b/w and really liking them. I passed on one that had no sound (it had word caption only). I love seeing some of the old characters like Walter Brennan, Slim Burnette, Fuzzy jones. one had John Wayne in it. he was so young I didn't recognize him until I heard his voice, Jack Elam, Michael Landon - looking like he might have been all of 18, Tex Ritter, Guy Madison, Victor Mature etc.

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

• bengardening
    3 years ago

I remember going to a one room school house with 8 grades in it and no pump so we had to walk down the hill with a metal bucket to get water everyday and the outhouse and a barn that had been used for horses before I ever went there and the chalkboards.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

Not as far back....the "foot". People stamped it on walls as art!

• bpath
    3 years ago

I remember the "bright"switch for the headlights being on the floor. Also actual roll-down windows, the triangle vent, cigarette lighter, fold-down armrests in the front and back bench seats that the little ones used as a booster seat.

School clothes, after-school clothes, and putting on your Sunday Best to go downtown or to fly in an airplane.

• samkarenorkaren
    3 years ago

Rolls of film for your camera...taking them to be developed. Polaroid cameras.

• lemonbasil
    3 years ago

Freedom to play outside all day not worried about life. Hide-n-seek was through the entire neighbourhood to run back to home. Who needed organized sports.

Screwball icecream with the bubblegum at the bottom.

Kazoo candy.

Black cat gum.

Hand made dresses, beautifully made, from my Mom at Easter, new doll clothes hand made again at xmas.

A&W Root beer that actually tasted like root beer not the commercial chemical stuff of today.

Getting sprayed with DDT while at the outdoor swimming pool for mosquito control under our towels which we then used after swimming to dry off.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You never wore slacks to school--only dresses and skirts.

• Rusty
    3 years ago

All of the above!

Plus, standing with my toes in some sort of X-ray machine at the shoe store to see how much too small my shoes were, and again to make sure the new shoes fit properly.

Rusty

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Saddle oxfords, then penny loafers. And white Keds.

wool skirts with matching sweaters from The Villager

Spring and summer dresses from Lanz and Lily Pulitzer

Tetanus and typhoid shots and the polio vaccine, one year we got it on a sugar cube.

Nicole, that reminded me of learning to drive a stick. My Dad let me learn to drive on the ‘family sedan‘, but made sure I knew how to drive a stick.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Candy cigarettes. Wax lips. Stretchy necklace candy.

Chatty Cathy: "Comb my hair" IIRC I cut a lot of it off her!

DH had a Davy Crocket glass.

I remember getting dishes in the box of detergent.

All the dogs in the neighborhood always ran loose...we all knew whose dog was whose and they knew us.

The stench of home permanent.

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Green stamps and Black Jack gum.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

Jiffy Pop.

• samkarenorkaren
    3 years ago

The Good Humor ice cream man, Mr. Frosty and Mr. Softy ice cream trucks

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Redeeming Gold Bond stamps for a pole lamp with amber glass shades.

• Lars
    3 years ago

When I was little, my mother would wear gloves and a hat to go shopping downtown, which is where all the stores were, and she would mainly go to boutiques. At the dress boutiques, women would bring dresses to her for her to try on - she did not really browse the racks that much, as I remember.

The town had a population of about 30,000 but was where most people in the county of 130,000 shopped. There were no malls back then, and so everyone shopped downtown. There was a large square in the center of town with parking, including parking meters. The meters would take pennies, but a penny did not buy much time, and my mother would often neglect to put in enough pennies.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

I remember when bread was delivered and the wrapper was a kind of waxy paper. The ends were sealed with collectible stamps. We got Bond Bread and the ends were sealed with Hopalong Cassidy stickers. You had to carefully peel them off so they wouldn’t rip.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

I remember all of it

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Selecting 10 cents worth of penny candy at the Five and Dime. Waking up early on Saturday to watch cartoons -- if you slept in, you missed out! Knee socks; and scraped knees from falling off bikes, monkey bars, etc.

• A D
    3 years ago

The milk box by our front door and the milk man delivering the milk in glass bottles. Mom was always home to retrieve it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Oh yes, hats or head covering a total necessity before going into church.

Venus coloring pencils

White anklet socks with ruffles

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Kick The Can in the evening, until the porch lights went on, and then

scurrying home. Saving my allowance for 45 records..."Rock N Roll" kid

here. Going to my Grandparents ...seemed like it took hours and hours

(it was under 40 miles away). :) They lived on a farm and I couldn't

wait to get there to see and pet the animals.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

Helms Bakery Trucks, they came down our street every Sunday morning.

White Go Go boots

Hair dryers with caps you covered your head with

Playing kick ball in the street

Flying home made kites in the school field

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

X-ray machine at the shoe store

oh gee, I remember those. we bought shoes at Hillsbrother Shoes - 2 pr for $5.00! we always checked the fit with those machines.

• breenthumb
    3 years ago

Yes, me too. Think the machines were put in there by Buster Brown shoes.

• seniorgal
    3 years ago

This 98-year-old lady remembers all of those things and more. Rose--I taught for four years in one of those schools.

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

I remember most of the things above.... and remember walking to school and home for lunch, and then back again!

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

Seniorgal, I can only imagine how amazing it must be to have seen how this world has transformed.

• pekemom
    3 years ago

Summer shoes, red or blue Keds. Usually picked red, once I picked blue and wish I had gotten red.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Pekemom, one year I chose yellow Keds and they were my favorites. We also had PF Flyers sneakers. But you never wore them to school. You brought them to school on the days you had gym, and you changed into them when you got home.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

My teenage sister rushing home from school to watch American Bandstand. Sometimes her friends would be there and they danced all over the two front parlors. One gal used to hold onto a door knob and swing around as if the door was her partner. Lots of giggling over the AB dancers and who they were dancing with and if they were going steady.

• lily316
    3 years ago

Keds and PF Flyers. My girlfriend and I would rush home from school and watch American Bandstand. On my first date, I wore a stiff crinoline that my mother washed in starch to make it stand out. Black and white TV which got three networks. All 12 years walked to and from school in the morning and home for lunch and back again. When I was six I walked alone to school which was one mile back for the noon meal and back to school for four miles a day. Roller skates with the key around my neck. Grey suede penny loafers. The boyfriend's class ring around your neck meant you were going steady. Hats and gloves for church. No slacks or pants of any kind in school.

• Indigo Rose
    3 years ago

Can I play? Elephant cards. Filling ink pins in grammar school from the inkwell with a pen w/a bladder. Next year the school's first ink pens - giant red pens. The intense racket at school from the delivered coal coming down the metal slide to the basement. Wax lips! Garbage men going to the back yard and bringing in-ground container from the step on lid to their truck and back...a different truck coming down the street often during the summer with a man yelling "Rags"...2nd and 3rd grade together in a big room...covering our heads and ducking down during air raid drills in school.

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

High top tennis or gym shoes.

Steering wheel spinners.

Gear shift knobs.

Vacuum tube radios.

Moon hub caps.

Rumble seats.

Inner tubes.

Inner tube patching kits.

Tire Irons.

Top Dressing (for non metal car tops)

Kerosene.

Kerosene wick lanterns

Lamp wicks.

Lamp mantles ( made of asbestos fiber)

Naphtha (aka White Gasoline) Used in mantled lamps, clothes irons, camp stoves, and blow torches. It was free of dye. Dye in fuels tend to clog burner orifices. Red dye is put in gasoline as a identifier.

Blow torch

Pressurized mantle lamps and lanterns.

Cap pistols.

Gene Autry outfits.

Radio shows: Sky King, Superman, Green Hornet, The Shadow, Fibber McGee and Molly,

Foot powered grind stone.

Bailing wire.

Grain reaper and binder.

Binder twine.

Threshing machine.

Saw mill powered by a steam engine.

I-Bar bridges.

Steam train engines

Caboose (These have been eliminated on present day trains.)

Advertising painted on barn roofs near highways.

Burma Shave signs along roadways.

Packard, Studebaker, Nash, AMC, Plymouth, and Oldsmobile autos.

Open pollinated corn.

Horse drawn carriages and wagons.

Feed sacks made of printed cotton cloth. (After the contents were used, the sack could be disassembled, washed, and used to make cloth articles. One sack contained one yard of cloth or more. This was popular during WW2 and faded away after the war.)

Foot treadle sewing machines.

Huskter Truck (During WW2, country stores ran Huskter trucks. It was a moving grocery store and typically visited rural homes twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday. If the truck did not have an item, the housewife could order the item for delivery on the next trip.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

White gloves, straw purses and MaryJane shoes

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living