Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monica_drury

House dimensions and roof support flaw

Monica
3 years ago

I have a weird question hoping there are some professionals on here who can assist.

We met with two different architects. Below is a rough footprint and similar front elevation. The garage is to the left, its 43' by 27'. The main house is 40' by 40'. Where the inset is in the center, its 37' from the front door to back wall. We have a front porch as well.

The first architect said we needed to push the inset back a foot to make it 36' to the back of the house. I really didn't understand her explanation, but Im no architect. I jotted in my notes something to effect of- if we exceed 36' without any supporting interior walls we would need costly roof reinforcements- (trusses?). We are also looking at solar panels along the back so I wonder if the weight was an issue.

The second architect did not see this as an issue.

We like the second architect better for various reasons but I worry that he may be missing something since this was a major concern with the first architect.

We are looking at a gable roof - left to right on the main house. Then over the garage, the roof line would run front to back.

I am reluctant to call the architect back seeing I do not think we are using her services. Hoping someone could clarify this issue. Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Hire the second architect and have them come up with a better design that eliminates any such concern.

• res2architect
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Agreed. Bringing up a vague structural issue in the initial interview is not wise.

But it's not clear to me why the architects were looking at a competed design in an interview. Is the house already designed down to the roof spans? Are they really architects? I would have to be pretty desperate for work to take a job like that but I suppose it could happen in these uncertain times.

I once drew up four houses for a developer but it doesn't count because he never paid me. They had stupid names like "The Claybrook". I keep that one in my flat file to remind me that things could be worse.

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We were sharing a floor plan I sketched out after reviewing a zillion plans online and finding none that captured our needs/wants. :o)

I kind of figured that it would be the architects job to draw up what made sense structurally. I was only trying to layout placement and general room size. The fact that she made a big point out it where the other didnt just set off a worry button in me.

This is well out of my area of expertise and scary when you dont know what dont know and are spending hundreds of thousands.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Are these licensed architects or draftsmen who call themselves designers? Big difference!

If both are architects, you do not need to bring them a preconceived idea that you sketched out. If you allow them to do what they are trained to do, they will give you what you want and need and in a better way than you could have imagined. (Unless you have a design background)

All you need to bring is your plat, a list of wants and needs, and wouldn’t it be nice to haves, along with photos of houses and details you like and maybe a bubble diagram of what rooms absolutely must be near one another. And lastly how you want to feel when you are in your house.

Monica thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I agree this is what you hire an actual architect for , they deisgn your home to suit you and your lot . IMO to take a stock plan and then redo it to suit you is always the expensive way to do this . I find by the time you get all the change orders to make the stock plan work for you you could have got one designed right the first time.

Monica thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting