Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brosenbe

Recommendations on kitchen backsplash w/ Tajal mahal quartzite counter

Beth Rosenberg
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello,

We put in taj mahal quartzite counters and having difficult time picking the back splash. I didn’t realize how difficult it would to pick a backsplash. Our kitchen has medium cabinets, we are putting in a Coretta Coretec LVP floor, under-counter LED strip lighting and the lights in the attached picture. We are looking for a backsplash that doesn’t take away from the counter. I’d like feedback on marble backsplashes, tiles polished or not polished, tile size or no backsplash? Do we tile the section to the height of the cabinet over the counter or just paint that section? I‘ve attached a few pictures of backsplashes we picked. The first one is a polished taupe that comes in two shades, the second is a metallic glaze, the third on is marble, and fourth is cracked white polish. Thanks! Beth

Comments (107)

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan and everyone else! GREAT News, the lights didn't ship and they will cancel the order. PHEW! Now we will look for a local interior designer for a consultation. Thank you for your help!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

PASS THE MASHED POTATOES!!!

• Trem Wills
    3 years ago

Amazing!! Please come back and show us when it’s all done :)

• barncatz
    3 years ago

That is great news! And your pleasant attitude and openness has been incredible!

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am back! We reached out to a few interior designers, and will get assistance with the floor. In the meantime, we are checking out lights, so what do you think of these lights? Am I moving in the right direction? 😁

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

You've done a 180. That's fine. But you haven't clarified the feel, as the swing is WIDE from first selection to these.

Personally? I'd rewire the peninsula if you Want a multiple and get ONE each either side of the sink. Neither tiny, nor huge. ( 9 to 12 width each )

I'm not a fan of glass, they never look clean, and little light is forced onto the counter. Even an open lantern linear, means ENOUGH light to compensate for that. Two OF EITHER BELOW. WITH SOME ELECTRICAL WORK AND REPAIR.

ALL BELOW, SHADES OF LIGHT

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/cowbell-chic-pendant-small

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/pearly-globe-pendant?color=Brass+Pearl+White&via=57e1330169702d78ae0000a5%2C57e133ea69702d78ae0002d1

THEN SOMETHING LINEAR OVER THE TABLE.......... OR ITS A GOOD ONE OVER THE PENINSULA.

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/conservative-contemporary-island-chandelier

The point is lighting in there is a marriage of complementary within a total look and fee, that you have not yet defined. That's why THE PRO HELP ON SITE. : )

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jan, We never thought about the lighting until we put the counters in because our contractor and friends came in and asked what are you doing with your lights - they don’t match! It hasn’t been until your direction that made us start thinking of our story and the space. Unfortunately we DON’T have a story, we just wanted to make our kitchen more functional and fell in love with the Taj Mahal years ago but didn’t pull the trigger until now. I love your warning about glass pendants looking dirty and the look of the second pendant. I am drawn to tan, off white and wood. The kitchen table we have was bought a very long time ago, I think the black was to match the old counters. Just about me, I am not creative, have no style, and I have a analytical mind. 😁 Doug (life partner) wants to know your thought process of two pendants vs, three over the peninsula? Is the black light a farmhouse style? My friends love the light but said we don’t have a farmhouse still. Your thoughts?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

What's in A NAME??? YOUR FRIENDS ARE WATCHING TOO MUCH HGTV. !

You have a common suburban build that you are refreshing. Maybe it was built in the nineties, . Who cares? A linear light.....especially in black, works in a MILLION homes. So tell them to bug off !

Second, your other option is to get the lights either side of sink as I said above. With either of the pendants I posted with lllinks. Either would be great with the linear OVER the dining table, and that is versatile enough to work with most any new table should on arise.

Most important? You need not love every single element in a space EQUALLY to love the whole o f the result. In fact, you can attempt that, select based on love, get it all together and hate the space on whole.

This is why these need to be chosen at the same time. Hip bone, thigh bone. Or at least you need a commitment to a feel, and some assurance you will find "it"

Lights have changed with time. We put names to trends, and many times, that trend is simply a FAD. t Example? Edison light bulbs. Bulbs in cages that look like they belong in daddy's tool shed.

The right designer will help/ consider for you every single thing I just said. It will STILL be your home, just better than you'd do on your own. ................which is the main reason to get the help.

If you continue to ask a thousand faceless folks? You will get that many opinions and still be totally lost in the damn woods.

I'm going to give you an example. My very traditional client below:

Note the lights over island, the breakfast table.........then the formal dining. ...........Not your house, not your feeling, not your story. It's HER story and her bad photographer. Me

Interior Design Work · More Info

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan- I love your attitude!, Again, great feedback. We are going to another lighting store this afternoon, hopefully it will be better then last time. 🙏🏻 . I really like the second pendant you showed me. Doug likes the light you recommended over the kitchen table. We will keep you posted on the next step. Thank you! Beth & Doug

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Stay OUT OF THE STORE. You don't need it today.

It would be great "feedback" if you were actually listening and absorbing. : ) You aren't.

Look , don't BUY.

Can someone here kill me now?? Pleeeze?

• Trem Wills
    3 years ago

Love this recommendation from Jan. Like she said, pause, take a breath and absorb. Then start shopping again ;)

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan,

I think you would be very happy! We went to the lighting store. He said do the floor first, the lighting is the jewelry and done last. 😁

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

um, I want that pearly globe pendant! I wish I had seen that before I bought mine. love that one! (only wish it wasn't on a cord.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Yes, lighting IS "jewelry" It's jewelry with a function. BUT, you don't wear that delicate pearl strand with honkin" dingle dangle chandelier HOOPS and six cocktail rings on your fingers.

The same reason lights that must exist in a single space are a marriage, and one is not considered without respect to the other and both must make some sense with your "outfit" - In this case, the kitchen, and the rest of your home : )

All good below...............and suiting the "outfit" The first two combo's share a sense of crisp geometry. Circles, triangle, rectangle and a common finish that works with everything ,

The last pic, a bit of updated history and some curves.......same finish.

Lighting companies are well aware that it's not easy, and often provide the MARRIAGES for you.......easy peasy if the specs work.

Nothing wrong with that..............just more matched vs complementary.

A bit like one of those JEWELRY gift set boxes you see loads of at the xmas season.: )

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan, I like what you are showing. After we pick the floors and jewelry, that table must go. If you have any ideas what would look nice with this story, please send them my way. Thank you!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb here. In about a single heartbeat, I'd paint the kitchen cabinets to a white. Go ahead, everyone . SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

I am not a fan of a ton of wood in a small space. Floor, cabinets, dining table etc. The kitchen is dim..... and electrical lighting is just one aspect. A white kitchen is freeing., just one reason they have been around for a few hundred years.

Any paint, any wood.........FREEING.

Be glad you didn't hire me : )

Before anyone can suggest a table, you need to provide the dimensions of that breakfast area, and yes...........resolve your flooring.

Beth Rosenberg thanked JAN MOYER
  • Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan,

You are awesome, and you know if you lived closer I would hire you! BUT I’m not painting my cabinets.😁 I’ve seen many of my neighbors do it and I don’t like how it came out.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

...................................I MEAN SERIOUSLY.....

That will set the ladies in a tizzy - here we go, fasten your seat belts.

I'm gonna need Beth out in SOCAL

TA DA............................... WITH ENDLESS OPTIONS

Round Steel X-Base Pedestal Table, Barn Wood Finish, 48" Round · More Info

• Timi M
    3 years ago

Jan, you are a hoot! Love your guidance and delivery style :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

WAIT FOR THE ATTACK PUPPIES HONEY : )

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Your neighbors? It depends HOW one does a thing, doesn't it? DIY is not a good way., 99% of the time.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I agree with Jan. I bought a house with so much wood it made me dizzy. When I refaced the quartersawn oak cabinets to white, everyone was “Why are you doing that? It’s a great kitchen.” Jan just gave me my reason - too much wood in the house. We have phenomenal custom wood trim, a beautiful tray ceiling on half of the great room, built in cabinets flanking the dining room, etc. Etc. I like wood as much as anyone but the white kitchen just opened up the whole space. And I also redid ALL the ceiling “jewelry”. Jan, the attack dogs may come out now, but I am in total agreement with you. Brosenbe: you need to do what you want - and you will get help around it - but expect pros to tell you when they disagree.

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

RedRyder - Thank you and I like hearing others feedback. 👍🏻 I am not a fan of groupthink! 😂

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I’m not ‘growling’ either way for white cabs or wood as that is a budget decision but I have to say I think this image from Beth upstream was great - dimpled or seeded glass is way easier to keep clean looking than clear and it’s light and airy feeling and should go with just about any dining fixture you select. The other option is to completely eliminate a dropped fixture there and install tiny recessed LED light within the bulkhead - maybe 3 total. You’d still get light but less ‘jewelry’.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

following

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

There are just so many lovely painted ways to take the suburbia out of the suburbia : ) aren't there ?

Color and method /processmatter greatly, do they not/

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We hired Jolene. We picked a warm white crackled herringbone backsplash. She is picking warm white paint colors, We are working on the floor. Here is one we picked today. What do you think? We just started looking.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I think that's going to be a lot of red. how far out from the kitchen is the wood floor going?

Rather than go overboard w/the matchy red, why not do a lighter, more natural wood floor?

all 3 of your choices are too close to the cab color

you don't want this, not w/the Taj countertop

Beth Rosenberg thanked Beth H. :
  • Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are going on the first floor. Here is the floor under our stool. we are definitely drawn to the more exotic wood color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

what if you did a flooring more along this line

Not so much hickory, i'm trying to find the reddish cabs w/a more natural color wood flooring

something like a warmer, natural white oak

or do a warmer gray or even a black tile

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like the third picture, what wood is that?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

looks like Hickory,

or Acacia. a natural acacia.

I have one very similar

you could do a natural hickory

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

WOW! Your floor is very cool looking! Gorgeous!

• typeandrun
    3 years ago

I think your flooring choices are too busy. Consider something a little quieter.

Here is my floor with leathered Taj mahal

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Any natural wood will be a good match. Trying to go with an exotic reddish wood would be a mistake - everything is now competing. You want the floors to help highlight your new kitchen. With the red woods, it will be “drowning” in that color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

that's why I mentioned to do a natural white oak. But OP said she liked more of the exotic woods.

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. we can look at those floors too.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

TOO MUCH RED. Too busy.......too... too , too, too

Don't think of this floor in ISOLATION , not even within the kitchen Don't say " I like exotic woods" Say I need a floor that works in the kitchen and everywhere else, for a very long time. A white oak in a lighter tone such as below and LIGHTER than the cabinets.

White oak,, stained, does not mean you get a gray floor.. It is timelless, will go everywhere, and will avoid the deep red orange you will not want.

This works for tone.

The floor is going everywhere..........you will have furniture, rugs, paint.

Where is JOLENE ? You are paying...Jolene?? Yes?

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jan! Do you miss me? 🙃 Yes, we are working with Jolene. We are waiting on a board from her and from our discussion with her we were looking for a wood floor with a distinct character to match the cabinet. I am happy we figured out the backsplash. The undercabinet lights get installed tonight! 😁

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

"wood floor with a distinct character to match the cabinet. "

No. You are looking for a floor to go everywhere in your home. It is the thing you will stare at for years. It is a backdrop to all you have now and in the future.

If you are looking to have a second "STAR" in your kitchen? You do not need one. That's your Taj Mahal. You want the COMPLEMENT to the cabinetry in consideration of all the other areas. You want the timeless backdrop. Complement, and "match": are very different terms.

Nothing lives in isolation.

Ask JOLENE what she really thinks, I think you're telling her...and she should be telling you.

"Jolene, what if this kitchen were in your home.....what would YOU do - considering I will not change floors again" A.N.Y..where

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jan! I agree! I LOVE my Taj Mahal. We are working on our “story”. She did say we are a combination of Scandinavian, modern” based on what we have purchased. I am happy we will be changing the wall color and fireplace mantel color. The good news, if we have a hard time picking the floor, we will be having a professional clean the kitchen floor tile and carpet. Which gives us more time.

• HU-17591133
    3 years ago

Jan Moyer-Loved your ideas-Did you say you're in SoCal? For anyone to answer--1. I'm seeing a move to different colors for upper and lower cabinets. We'll be selling in 3-5 years. I'm thinking of pale gray walls, upper white cabinets, lower cabs in darker gray to charcoal, cooking island in that blue that's not quite navy , Mediterranean Blue?

Also, what do you think about the engineered wood floors that have only a veneer of hardwood?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

I think it is always a good idea to start your own thread :. An engineered floor IS a hardwood floor. The wear layer varies with quality and price, and also the type of finish. Most can be refinished......how many times will be dependent on the finish layer. Or it can be re oiled if THAT is the finish.

Upper and lower cabinetry changes can also depend layout in your kitchen. Can depend length of stay in a home.....as nobody ever went wrong keeping things simple. I prefer a change of color on an island, versus a two tone upper/lower. The "move" has been around for QUITE a while.

Start a thread ....with pictures. A remodel to sell, is rarely a really great idea.

especially to gray ANYTHING.

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan, I guess you can say, we are drawn to red tones! We put this floor in alittle over a year ago, but it got discontinued. So we are looking for something with similar gloss, but doesn’t have as much variation.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Beth

...................The point of getting the help. is to NOT make brain surgery of the simple. The floor is simple, and the selection should be read as that by your eye. when done. You should be able to look at that floor as part of the rest of your home. The words you want to be able to say?

" I'm in love. " That is very different from...........Oh my GOD, all I see in here is my FLOOR.!!

A great show is Star, Supporting Actors,, Chorus, Orchestra.........you're the producer./w/ Jolene as casting advisor.

Simple, timeless just ONE piece of a whole...........

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

No no no!! Is she blind too red as it is!!! Get a good painter and paint your cabinets!! 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

HU- real wood is always better. It’s thicker, 3/4” vs. 1/16” or something. Can be refinished multiple times, never goes out of style. It’s messier and more expensive. Real wood has more Cush too it too

• Beth Rosenberg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Under-cabinet lightning in. backsplash picked. Herringbone design. 😁

• userLA57
    2 years ago

What is your backsplash tile, please?

• userLA57
    2 years ago

Is this kitchen finished? Would you please share a pic? Thanks!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living