Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

What lovely shade of green would you choose?

kbear_15
3 years ago

Live in NE Ohio - have a small 10x11 guest bedroom with 1 window (100% north facing) - no overhang, landscape blocking, etc. Currently painted builder's cheap grade flat paint in SW agreeable gray.

Looking to brighten up the room so it's not as dull - I want to make it brighter, lighter/airy. Plan on using either BM Regal select eggshell or SW (emerald vs duration). (I don't want to repaint the same color). I've read with a north facing room, I should stick to warm undertones, LRV ~50-60%.

Will post pictures what it looks like now - however, all furniture and bedding will NOT be in this room. I've purchased all new furniture/bedding which I will also post. Current ceiling light fixture is flush mount with 2 bulbs (ceiling is 9 feet); Replacing with a semi-flush mount with 3 bulbs to increase lumens to ~2400 which should also help with the overall lighting.

Carpet is a greige, but definitely has beige in it.

OLD furniture - north facing wall:

OLD FURNITURE - West facing wall

OLD FURNITURE - South facing wall

OLD FURNITURE - East facing wall:

Comments (34)

• kbear_15
    Original Author
    3 years ago

NEW bed:

REAL LIFE: more brown:

NEW nightstands: (antique white)

NEW ceiling fixture:

NEW bedding: (color called aloe - a very pretty soft green, with a sheen to it)

BENCH:

Have gone back and forth regarding paint color - off white/cream seems too bland;

Tan/brown/taupe - seems like there would be too much brown in the room (bench, bed headboard, carpet).

Thought a nice, pretty (not camouflage, not grass green, not blue, not gray), soft true green would look nice.

Here are some contenders:

1. BM light pistachio (2034-60) - what we're leaning towards; not sure if this is too dark??

2. SW slow green 6456

3. SW fleeting green 6455 (too light)? the next shade up is kind green 6457 - way too dark.

4. BM jack and the beanstalk

Which one of these do you think would work best in our bedroom?

Further, I know you can ask them to lighten/darken colors by a certain %age. Any specific colors worth asking to lighten or darken and by what %age?

• lynartist
    3 years ago

It’s almost impossible to give you an exact color for your room on a forum as colors on a screen can’t be trusted. Also there is no way to tell how any particular color will read in your space with your lighting variables. With that being said I like your new furniture and bedding ( which isn’t green) so you could go in several directions. A soft gray/ aqua, a blue/ green or a nice off white or cream. I would not paint my walls in eggshell; I would do them in a matte finish.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Are you in possession of the bedding? The big restriction here is how well the paint will work with the bedding, and none of us can tell you that over the internet, working from manufacturer photos of the bedding and paint and not being able to see the colors in your lighting. So get the bedding in your room and bring in paint swatches so you can see how well they really work together. If you show us photos of the bedding and swatches together in your room we can weigh in on how well they work together.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

You can order paint samples from Samplize when you have narrowed down your choices!

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Consider a “sunny” color...a pale shade like the little table?..in a north facing room with low light...bring a little cheery “sunlight” in...

• kbear_15
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am not painting any walls matte - I have a 3 year old whose hands find themselves on walls 24 hours/day. I need something that can clean up easily.

There is no blue in this bedding - I have the bedding and have seen it with my own eyes. I prefer not to have much blue in the paint as possible.

The room is very dark overall - so I don't want gray. My walls are already flat greige and the room is gloomy. I don't like it.

I can explore off white/cream. Any specific suggestions?

Here's a picture of the paint samples I suggested with the actual bedding in the room:

I tried labeling them with circled numbers.

#1 SW slow green 6456 (very bottom, samples to the left, the top one)

2. SW fleeting green 6455 (below BM jack and the bean stalk)

3. BM jack and the beanstalk (left most 4-paint sample, 1st one on the bottom)

4. BM light pistachio (2034-60) (middle 4 paint sample - 2nd from the bottom)

5. BM Feather green (right most 4-paint sample - 3rd from the bottom)

• lynartist
    3 years ago

And this folks is why you should never pick a color on a forum! All your colors have blue in them. Here they are with my picks. Seems you have already found your picks so just order your samples. I didn’t pick a gray( just because a name says it doesn’t mean it is!)

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Lynartist, I don't see color names for the blue-greens in your image (just the brown & cream accent colors).

Kbear, from what I can see of what you posted, I like the Jack-in-the-beanstalk and the slow green the best with your comforter.

I always find that light and mid-tone colors seem darker on the wall than the swatch, while dark colors seem lighter. You should definitely test a larger swatch (Samplize as suggested or paint a foam board) of your top contenders before committing. It's always a good idea, and especially so when you are concerned about a color being too dark.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Cawaps, there are no color names for blue/ greens 😂exactly! It’s what I see when I look at a color in the fan deck when pulling colors for clients; something I have done for over three decades! Always while standing in there space btw!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Their space😉

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Perhaps this comparison with a green will help you “see” the blue in all your greens!

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

How about the somewhat darker green shown in the left-hand picture on the Behr Bedroom > Color Inspiration > Mood > Bold & Dramatic page? I know you said your room was rather dark, but the furniture you've purchased such as the bed might contrast well against the darker paint. The Color is "Forest Edge" with which Behr shows "Polar Bear" as the contrasting trim color.

Behr considers Forest Edge to be a blue color so you might want to try a $5 sample to see how it looked.

-- amateur

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Cawaps, I misunderstood your earlier question! After some editing I hope this answers it!

• everdebz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Possibly Dover White SW. In yellow family I believe.

• kbear_15
    Original Author
    3 years ago

To backtrack a moment, if I wasn't going to paint the walls green, what other (specific) colors would look appropriate in this room?

Yes, I always purchase paint samples, paint on white board and see what it looks like in the actual room.

For fun, I got some off white/cream samples - here is the actual nightstand with the actual bedspread, actual carpet, and actual headboard with various paint samples against the night stand.

Do any specific off white/creams work best? (please refer to them starting with #1 on the furthest left, ending with #9 on furthest right).

Would an off white/cream wall paint color be too "boring" or not work for this room? I've never painted any of my walls this color so just not sure how to proceed.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

"Would an off white/cream wall paint color be too 'boring'?"

Yup.

-- amateur again

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

In the last pic all the colors look good...except ...the bed spread...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

The picture you posted of the bed you bought...(with your spread?) the bright white walls look gorgeous...with the off white table and beige carpet

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

And headboard

• kbear_15
    Original Author
    3 years ago

btydrvn - you think any of those off white/cream paint samples would work? That is my bedspread that will be in the room.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I don't really like the creams as much as the greens.

SW Creamy

SW Grecian Ivory

• cawaps
    3 years ago

SW Tradewind

SW Glimmer

SW Waterscape

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

North side is looking for a green with a teal undertone. Consider B.M. Crystal Blue.

To keep it from being too cutesy, add some purple into the mix.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

I dont think the creams or beiges would look best...the color needs to be crisp and white...this has the side effect of making the off white table and beige bed look like “colors”...while really brightening the room with the walls...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

It also appears (from the pics) that the blue walls...tho’ pretty make the spread look less blue????

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

The white will also go with any other color bedcover...going forward

• Jean
    3 years ago

Maybe SW Silverpoint? Its a pale green/gray. Our bedroom is North facing and so it looks light green/blue/silver, quite pretty.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Your bed and bench are more brown, the side chest appears to be a warm cream. The carpet is warm taupe. The bedding is a cool aqua. The colors you are wanting on the walls to brighten up the space may have worked better with a white and aqua color scheme. You need to try and tie these together. Proper lighting and the lighter furnishings will lighten the space. Find a color that works with the things you have regardless of how you think it lightens the space. Here is a room done with SW contented

• lynartist
    3 years ago

SW comfort gray

• lynartist
    3 years ago

SW filmy green

• kbear_15
    Original Author
    3 years ago

lynartist - that last picture is spot on! Love it!

cawaps - thank you for showing the difference between creams and greens - really helped me able to see it. Like the green contrast walls better.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Idk how this goes, but a pro wrote it -- this is "pure Brilliant White. In a bedroom or den, the combination of white and off-white is restful.
    Though DREAMY CREAM colors can appear dingy on their own -- combine with crisp white bedding / walls; warm-toned blanket; antique-white nightstand -- to create a balance of contemporary crispness and traditional charm."

cottage -

WHITSTABLE ISLAND COTTAGE · More Info