Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzegeorgia

What color should I paint kitchen cabinets

Susan
3 years ago

What color should I paint the kitchen cabinets? Walls are gray, floor is light brown, countertops are a darker granite and backsplash is white?

Comments (15)

• Kraig Finley
    3 years ago

Personally I love white kitchens ,so I'll say benjamin moore white dove and add hardware.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

The wood cabinets are a nice shade and offer a bit of contrast so the white architectural details at ceiling and trim etc give an enhancement . I think white cabinets would actually be a downgrade as some of all that would be lost. The wood tone is fairly light actually . Nothing to be gained by covering in white paint. What is your reason?

• Celadon
    3 years ago

Keep the wood.

• Madonna Powers
    3 years ago

I would check out colored stains first and possibly check our chalkpaint also.

Gives the cabinets a

furniture grade look.

• Jenna K
    3 years ago

I love the idea of a dark/navy blue cabinet with the lighter walls/counters such as you have. Hale Navy, Van Deusen Blue, Newburyport Blue are a few ideas.

Also, I LOVE those bar stools.

• housegal200
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Your cabinets are wonderful. Why are you wanting to paint them? Everything, from the floors to the stools, to the cabinets, are totally cohesive, which you don't usually see in a Dilemma. The wood really warms up the gray.

Add a large food or modern still life art work over there by the peninsula and get your visual interest from that.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Why do you want to paint? I'm with the others that say keep the cabinets as they are. They are a great stain color and once you paint, you loose the factory finish and the paint will not wear as well. Are you planning to add something on the blank wall above the backsplash?

• housegal200
    3 years ago

• Megan Lelli
    3 years ago

I would think about maybe painting the island and changing your hardware.

• RTHawk
    3 years ago

I actually thought the picture you posted was your inspiration picture. The cabinets look really lovely the way they are now.

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

I think it's attractive as it is now. Some wood stains aren't; but your kitchen's color is really lovely. If you paint you either spend tons of time(right prep, etc) or quite a lot of money to do it correctly. and still you'll have to baby it more afterwards.

So i'd just add hardware, art, plants, and enjoy it as is. Maybe put "susans" or how they're called in the lowers, if you haven't yet.

But if you really prefer painted over wood and are set on it-you have lots of choice. You can do two-tone even-say leave stain on the lowers/island, white uppers. Your layout allows for two-toned if it's someting you like. Or-everything blue (from mint to navy). Or green. Or even pink -few people go for it, I know. That doesn't mean though it can't look cool and uplift your mood.

Many colors can give you the feeling you're after. The thing is-to figure out which feeling you're after.

If it's warmth and perfect background to other things-you already have it.

• Karen Haynes
    3 years ago

I agree with the others, the cabinets are great as is. I'd get some color from contrasting hardware and art. If you still don't like it you can always paint later. Just live with it for a few months and see how you like it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I also agree -- the cabinets look great, no painted cabinets.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

If you are set on painting, think about navy lowers and white uppers.

I personally would just paint the window trim navy, and stop there.