Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boulder_kew

Fireplace area..factory order or local make cabinet and shelf?

Boulder Kew
3 years ago

We are redoing a fireplace with dark new ledge stone (to hide TV and fireplace). I am adding 40" width of cabinet storage and shelving on both sides, the typical. We are also changing out kitchen cabinetry so we are talking to big box and kitchen designers. My question is for the fireplace cabinetry, should we go with customized built in or order cabinetry like kitchen brands Kraftmaid, Diamond? One kitchen designer with Crystal line called "Current" quoted me $8000 (tax, install, delivery) for two sides of cabinetry and shelves something like in this pic. I texted a local cabinet maker and he quoted me about $5K for the 2 sides of fireplace. Both for simple white shaker style. (NOTE the quote is not for fireplace mantel surround because I am putting stone in the middle) I was surprised factory made brand are so much more expensive than local maker! I will probably ask more quotes to see if this is usual. I like factory made because of the paint baked in technology and the tons of options to make it looked "customized", and as for local made, I can pick the materials, exact measurement to fit the stone side and the craftsmanship ( if we get a good one) and is definitely customized but we won't know if the quality of the work is what we expect since there is no showrooms for local maker and we can't see his past clients' work due to covid. Which way would you go, pros and cons?

Comments (2)