Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dream1now

Help! Too much oak, bland tile and corian. I have to keep the tile.

Jane
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
What can I do with my cabinets, island, and color scheme? It'd be much easier if I could have different flooring, but I don't have that option. Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (139)

• kimmarconi
    10 years ago
    I don't think your kitchen is completely contemporary. New art work, possible window treatments to make it pop. An upholster seat in the kitchen with 2 updated chairs and table. The lighting above the table is country looking.
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Light in itself makes a big difference, so Light in Art, wow, that's awesome.
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Is that the same place?? WOW!
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wish I could do a complete remodel like that, but I have to start with minimal changes.....but WOW! What great colors!
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    BTW, I live in Louisiana ;)
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    rosebud3, I LOVE the idea of painting the back of the shelves only... I've got fabric I'll place up there to get an idea...THANKS!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    There are very few kitchens that can carry off the "Golden Oak Age" over time. I would definitely paint them after seeing the above posts by ADP3... You have a good functional space, I don't blame you for wanting to spruce it up without breaking the bank.
    Jane thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Jane, you could also use pieces of wallpaper instead of paint on the backs of the shelves.

BTW, I am also living in the realm of golden/honey oak. Tired of it and plan on selling in a year or two. Not sure I have the energy to paint all the cabinets and zero budget to hire someone to paint them. I may do some glass inserts though.
  • Mavis Bounds
    10 years ago
    Paint is a great change for wood cabinets. I painted mine a cream color, added bold small appliances. Add a colorful area rug, maybe rag or crochet. Add beautiful light fixture to coordinate with color scheme. New room!!!
    Jane thanked Mavis Bounds
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The black looks really sharp on the back of the shelves.
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the cream color. I'll probably go with a similar color to the corian on the soffits. Carry that color on walls to other two rooms. I think that will be the first baby step after recessed lighting is put in.
  • adp3
    10 years ago
    Jane, I am not a designer, but I designed my own kitchen. It took me a good six months to figure out the design. Be patient, get your ideas together, and don't rush into things. You will be much happier with the end result.

A few more thoughts on your remodel: If you can open up the corner section of your kitchen that separates the family room, I think you would like having all three rooms (kitchen, breakfast, and family room) opened to each other. These three rooms are where we live and entertain. I think you would love it! If possible and affordable, remove the huge soffits and take your upper cabinets to the ceiling. It will give you more storage space and less wasted space. (See above how removing my upper cabinets between kitchen and family room opened up the space). I also removed a 6 inch soffit, and took the cabinets to the ceiling. I was able to gain all the space I lost, by adding floor to ceiling cabinetry around the desk area. Of course, your kitchen and family room is a different configuration, but I think you could open the corner up and enjoy all three rooms together. My suggestion is keep your wall colors soft and light for an airy, roomy feeling. Good luck!
    Jane thanked adp3
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Jane, can we see a pic of the black in the shelves?
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Indeed, they looked better at night.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I would do is change the hardware on those cabinets under the shelves to black iron, paint that brass black around the firebox, change the ceiling fan, take the mirror off the mantle and put a piece of art, or some objects of interest and candles...
    Jane thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mirror is definitely gone, Can you recommend what to paint brass with please?
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    do you think a light color would look good on the back of the shelves to match the wall color,
    or a dark color???
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    I like the black on the LR shelves - remember you will have your stuff back in front of it do you won't be seeing an entire black rectangle. The black is nice going with the black trim of your fireplace screen. Maybe you could also paint the inset of the mantle black.
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like it..I don't care for the cream, see attached.
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The goal was to brighten things up, i believe the whole thing needs to be light if we go this way.
  • PRO
    Peggy Card - Paramount Construction, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I would do the lighter paint on the back walls of the shelves, unless you will be displaying very light pieces. You want a color that makes your decorative pieces pop but does not darker up the space. Sorry rosebud3 but the room is dark enough without black (just my opinion). Lots of high end designers are using wallpaper as the back of shelving. Something geometric in your color family. This works well if you will not have very many display items. But if you do, avoid a busy paper.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    There is one of the three pics with a darker brown back wall...earthtones kind of disappear.
  • Deborah lippitt
    10 years ago
    Wow I love Peggy Cards wallpaper ideas...(Thank you Peggy)...You could you do a small repetitive print in ocher or burnt oranges to blend in with the brick...I'm remembering this idea!!!...and pray for removable shelves in the bookcases...LOL
    Some of the Art Nouveau or William Morris type would look good.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Wish it was my idea but I'm just passing on someone else's genius.
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Different strokes for different folks. I like geometric design but not in this case - too busy. But if we were all the same it would be a pretty dull world!
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really like the one with the round table....
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm so confused!
  • Deborah lippitt
    10 years ago
    LOL I get that way...Just wait and slowly the cream rises to the top and you'll know what you need to do...unless you need to decide like yesterday??LOL Lots of good ideas though...I'm going to try when I get there!
    Jane thanked Deborah lippitt
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    LOL rosebud3, I hear ya. Jane, you might try building a roll of wrapping paper you like to test the pattern idea. It's a couple of dollars to see how it looks.
    Jane thanked Peggy Card - Paramount Construction, Inc.
  • Jo Unrau
    10 years ago
    Cabinets to match island, black handles on all, glass doors on some of the top cabinets with interesting glasses & dishes inside.
    Jane thanked Jo Unrau
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Geez, I should read what I type, that's buying wrapping paper.....LOL
  • Monica Towns
    10 years ago
    I have a similar room. He's the solution: change the kitchen cabinet hardware to brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze - simple style. Lighten the wall color - I went back to a creamy off white after having very dark colors in there with my oak cabinets - the creamy white was refreshing. The side with the fireplace is beautiful already! I would just change the curtains and hang them on a metal rod - matching your new cabinet hardware color - and hang full length side panels with gromett holes at the top, and hang them an inch from the ceiling and very wide so the full window can be exposed. You can change the wall color or just leave it. This is the cheapest and fastest update that can be done in a weekend. I still have the similar kitchen to yours after 21 yrs and those simple things refresh it so nicely. Best thing to do is - do what YOU like since it's your house. Happy decorating :)
    Jane thanked Monica Towns
  • A M
    10 years ago
    I have the same oak in my kitchen and living room and the same brick on my fireplace. Dejavu! We are going to degloss and see how that looks. Testing on cabinets in the bathroom first. Good luck to you. Please post before and afters !
    Jane thanked A M
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Monica, thank you for the tips on curtains!
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I might have talked my husband into changing the tile..+..
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Getting quote for recessed lighting in other two rooms today, painter's coming to start putting up drywall. Still haven't found a backsplash I like. We bought several sample's, yet nothing's grabbed me. Got more furniture out, so need to make up mind on what and where...any solid suggestions?? Thank y'all and have a good day!
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    10 years ago
    Hooray for removing the tile, you will never get the cohesion between the rooms until you have all hardwood throughout the space. Place your project into phases. We all see too much HGTV where it all gets done at once however this is not reality for many. Spend your hard earned money judiciously and start with the large items like the hardwood flooring and work your way down the line. Next the fireplace wall or kitchen cabinets and use a pro as noted above for refinishing. Please Nix the chalk paint.
    Go ahead and do the lighting at any time because it does not interfere with the base of the rooms. Follow the advice of those not selling you their product unless that is the direction you choose to go in. I have to agree with River with the tile decision why go over tile with tile when it's the tile killing the spaces. And CHANGE the grout! What a nightmare of unnecessary expense!
    Jane thanked Serra Design Inc
  • Jane
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Solid advice. Thanks, Serra Design. I would like your thoughts on two directions I could go in. First, what do you think of concrete overlay to replace the tile? Also, I haven't ironed out all the details...but staining the lower cabinets much darker (with no red tint) and stripping the upper cabinets and add an almost whitish tint in the grain?
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    10 years ago
    Concrete overlay . Bad idea! it needs to be a certain thickness so it will not crack. Once you raise the floor to that thickness you have to deal with the elevation transition back to the other floors , You have to cut door bottoms and perhaps raise the kitchen cabinets
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    10 years ago
    Cabinets: I agree I hate that honey oak color! I have ebonized these cabinets for clients with good results, however he shot them with a catalized opaque lacquer to achieve this look.
  • lrawls28
    10 years ago
    Serra Design- do you have a photo of the painted oak cabinets. I have the same as Jane and trying to decide if I should paint cream or black. Getting St. Cecilia granite. Thanks
  • Deborah lippitt
    10 years ago
    .I just don't get these fashionable kitchen colors...black, cool browns bland neutrals etc...Been looking to move the last year and looked at lots of places...all I think is "have to redo the kitchen." The kitchen is the heart of a home( pretty much) and a black heart?..OK don't get it...I like bright inviting cheerful colors in my kitchen...lively soulful. Guess I hear a different drum.
    Jane thanked Deborah lippitt
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    I'm with you degalisto. I want a nice warm, cozy kitchen, not a cold, colorless one.
    Jane thanked Rosanne
  • adp3
    10 years ago
    Jane, my two cents...don't even think of going black cabinets. Go with white or cream. Do the floor when you can afford it. Concentrate on lightening the cabinets in the kitchen and the walls for now, and upgrade the counters to granite, if it is affordable. That will give you the most satisfaction to start with. Keep the brick in your family room, but paint the family room the same color as the kitchen. It will look like one big space. One room at a time with a vision for the other room. Do the best you can do for the kitchen then progress to the family room when you have the time and money. Keep things neutral because neutral is always in style and you don't get tired of it. Accessorize with color, i.e. pillows, things on bookcase shelves, etc. Here is a photo of brick fireplace (like yours) with lighter walls.
    Jane thanked adp3
  • Lorri Cavaliere
    10 years ago
    Jane...having just gone through a kitchen remodel project myself, an inexpensive change would be to change your cabinet knobs/pulls. It makes such a difference!
    Jane thanked Lorri Cavaliere
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    10 years ago
    @irawls
    No I don't have a pix from that job but here is a very close likeness
  • PRO
    Serra Design Inc
    10 years ago
    Jane
    I could also suggest a white wash glaze over your cabinets however for best results you would need to strip and bleach the cabinets first before glazing them white washed
  • cclare
    9 years ago
    Hi, cabinets lovely all that's needed is cover the dark paint with cream paint and bingo. It's the dark paint flashing with the wood I think. It will make a huge difference for a small amount to pay.
  • Jane
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

• Jane
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions. These are the final results, finally.