Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Bogie ... I never saw his appeal...

IdaClaire
3 years ago

Until today. I sat and watched The African Queen in its entirety, despite having certainly seen it over the years, since I do consider myself a fan of classic film. I was just never cued into the attraction of Humphrey Bogart, however, finding him a rather strange looking man who must have been an acquired taste. Watching his Charlie Allnut character in TAQ today, something came over me and I found myself transfixed by the man. It's like all of a sudden, I saw it. The scruffy, booze-soaked yet decided masculinity was there, on full display, and I couldn't tear my eyes away from him.
How very strange, right? So now I find myself an old married lady with something like a crush on a man who was born in 1899 and has been dead since before I was born. Oh well ... I suppose there are worse things.
And that is all. My day-after-Christmas bit of random discovery.

Comments (38)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I just watched Casablanca...what a film! So many fabulous lines! And Bogie was definitely the strong manly type...let alone how gorgeous Ingrid was...and then everyone else....greenstreet, lorre....so good! One of the best films ever made.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha! No! But now I find myself wanting to rewatch all the Bogie movies I've seen many times already to see if he hits me the same way.

• Jilly
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Are we the same person?

The Big Sleep. THAT was the film that turned me into a Bogart fan. I always loved Bacall, but like you, I just didn’t get the Bogart love before. But that movie mesmerized me. I watched it rapt, beginning to end. And loved when he came on! He has this feel of danger, and don’t-go-there. Irresistible.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Annie, I caught part of Casablanca tonight too! Also Sabrina last night (or night before?), but didn't get to see the whole thing. Bogart's leading ladies were simply incredible. Powerhouse actresses who were real stunners to boot. Is it any wonder he fell madly head over heels for Bacall!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love this shot of the man at his 1920s adobe home in LA.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL, Jinx -- too funny! I was telling all of this to my DH today, and he said that Bogie looked like Mr. Potato Head. Well ... yes, I suppose he did, but suddenly he transformed into a sexy Mr. Potato Head right before my eyes!

I'd like to read a good biography on the man. I know he lived a bit of a tumultuous life, given his hard-drinking tendencies, but I'm still fascinated. And how sweet is this picture, with his little boy.

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

I‘ve loved him since I first saw a movie of his back when I was a teenager, many years after he passed. My favorite is still “The African Queen”.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

To Have and Have Not. "You know how to whistle don't you Steve? Just put your lips together and blow."

They are both too sexy.

To Have and Have Not - Bing video

• Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    3 years ago

My Mother-in-law loved Bogart and said all the woman back in her day thought he was the cat's meow. I still don't get the attraction but I'm sure I had (have) some pretty strange movie star attraction of my own. Thank goodness we all have different tastes huh! Like Ocotillo, maybe I need to revisit some of Bogart's classic film 😁.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

And let's not forget bogie and bacall in Key Largo. What a flick!

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I love Sabrina...the original and the remake. DD texted as she was wrapping some Tommy John underwear for her husband’s stocking: It was like touching the Shroud of Turin!

It may not have been in the original with Bogie, thereby making this comment off-topic, but it is still one of the funniest movie lines I’ve ever heard.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre!

There is simply nothing like Casablanca.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Oh my gosh, what a great topic! Last things first. Now I have to watch both versions of Sabrina! The remake was fantastic and I hate remakes.

Remember when they did the silly remake of Father of the Bride?

Bogart made a lot of great movies. I've only watched a handful but DH watches all of them. I really got into Key Largo which was the last movie Bogart and Hepburn made together.

I stumbled onto this extremely juicy link because I was thinking it was Bogart and Hepburn who had the years long affair, but it was Spencer Tracey who was friends with Bogart.

I never did see what Lauren Bacall saw in Bogart, and I never could get into Casablanca because I never could get into Ingrid Bergman which made me wonder what people saw in her. lol

Tracey got around and I had no idea it was that bad. Enjoy the read. ;)

• Michele
    3 years ago

It’s not happened yet. You know who I have a crush on? Robert Mitchum. 😍 Among others

Casablanca? I know everyone loves it. Masterpiece etc etc. I love old movies. I just can’t see the two of them together and I can’t get past it.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I read that Bacall had an affair with Sinatra while married to Bogie. Bogie was alleged to have carried on with his longtime hairdresser. Rumors, innuendos, who knows. It was another era, and I find it all fascinating.

I have long held a special place in my heart for Archie Leach, better known as Cary Grant. My gosh, what a classically handsome man he was!

• dedtired
    3 years ago

There are certain men who have a certain Je ne sais quoi ( wow did autocorrect have a field day with that). Bogart was one, although I can’t say I find him attractive. Cary Grant was swoon worthy, as was Clark Gable. There are several stars today I just don’t get. To me Hugh Jackman has a pin head and I can’t see what’s so great about Ryan Reynolds.

I think Hepburn had a long affair with Spencer Tracy, who would not divorce his wife because he was Catholic. Not sure, but I doubt the Catholic Church condones adultery either.

• Michele
    3 years ago

Gregory Peck! Nuff said

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Elvis Presley. Couldn't stand him or his music when I was younger. Now, I understand the appeal.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I probably shouldn’t admit this, but in my very young days, I called in sick for a week because one of the TV stations was having a Cary Grant festival and played all of his movies that week. I can’t believe I was ever that irresponsible, but yes, I was.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't generally care for many of today's actors that women often swoon over. Channing Tatum (or is it Tatum Channing?) does nothing for me. Nor does Brad Pitt. Give me Jeff Goldblum though, and I'll be happy. Now that's a man with style!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I believe the Tracy/Hepburn thing was a hollywood cover as Hepburn was gay...

• sable64
    3 years ago

Harrison Ford. He could and can do anything Gable did, comedy, drama, whatever is required! (And I love Gable.)
    One of my favorite scenes, so typical of his bada$$ ability:

Princess Leia to Han Solo: "I love you!"

Han Solo: "I know."

However, he lacks the overt menace that Bogie had, the quality that made Bogie seem dangerous even when a good guy.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

Wow, Annie, I had no idea. The things that make you say hmm.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

My 2 idols are Gary Cooper and Gene Kelly.

I knew Bogart as old first and it wasn't until I saw him young that I realized he was a pretty good looking guy.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

If you can find the 1985 2nd addition (not 1st addition) of Lauren Bacall By Myself , you will love it. I read it twice back in the eighties. It starts in Brooklyn and includes her career path, marriage to Bogie, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars in their circle and more.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Vanity Fair article, I hadn't a clue

I really hate talking about the dead this way, but IMO, this man ruined every movie that could have been fantastic. Tell me if you agree. I'm listing Wikipedia's page on him because I had no idea his personal life was so troubling and he died an early death.

But of all the leading men in Hollywood, they chose Montgomery Cliff?

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't find it surprising to read that yesterday's stars were closeted gay or bisexual. I just think it's a damn shame that they had to live under wraps in that way, but as I said earlier, it was a different era. In so many ways.

• Michele
    3 years ago

Gary Cooper! I forgot. A dreamboat!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've always thought Dennis Morgan had a strong likability too.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Bogie wasn't on my radar screen until one night I was babysitting and caught a documentary on him on TV. This was back when there weren't so many channels. It was really a good, comprehensive overview. The only Bogart film I had seen up until then was "African Queen" which I agree, is an absolutely stellar performance by both leads. Great film. My favorite line from the movie . . . . Katherine Hepburn: "Dear" (although she pronounced it, "Deaaah." ) "Dear, what is your first name . . . ?"

I think Casablanca is great, and I can see Bogie and Bergman together--opposites attract. Casablanca is just about the perfect movie IMHO, with great acting in every role, and great staging and lines . . .

Two of my other favorite Bogie films are High Sierra and We're No Angels, although that is really Ustinov's film . . . . Bogie was the kind of actor who was the consummate professional and just did the work no matter what was asked of him . . . I simply can't imagine anyone else being able to say, "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." and "I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that
    the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans
    in this crazy world."

Ida Lupino remarked in the documentary about how great Bogie was to work with, how he helped her in one of her first films. At the end, it is such a great scene when Bogart gets shot and Lupino has that great scene where she cries over him and says, "What does it mean when a man crashes out?" She said she was having trouble crying and Bogie told her that he was going to steal the scene if she didn't cry and he helped her figure out how to cry on cue. And then she said that it became one of her greatest scenes thanks to him. So then of course I had to find the movie, which took a while . . .

I still haven't seen the Cain Mutiny. Bucket list. Years ago my parents used to get TCM and they had a Bogie weekend. It was amazing to see all the variety of roles he played. He's great too in the Maltese Falcon although the movie is rather implausible . . . but that scene where he says to Mary Astor, "I hope they don't hang you precious, by that sweet neck." Too bad for her, but I'd rather have a lover who was loyal to his best friend than one who was a sap for a pretty face.

Bogie's appeal, he's not a sex symbol, he's the quiet, unassuming guy with the smarts and knows when to sit back and when to step up and when he does step up, watch out. You'd want him stuck in the trenches with you, and that's the kind of man I would go for. You can take a man like Bogie to the bank, although in real life, his wives were mostly alcoholics and he drank quite a bit too, so I can't imagine it was too pleasant. He left his second wife for Bacall so that was kind of a double cross, but they were famous as the "Battling Bogarts" so it wasn't a happy marriage that ended. It was a different time, people didn't think they had to marry their best friends.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Funny, Gary Cooper, Clark Gable never did it for me.

But Cary Grant? Yep!

• woodrose
    3 years ago

skibby, thanks for the link ! I watched Charlie Rose's interview with Lauren Bacall, " He was more than I thought I'd ever have". Wow, that says it all , doesn't it ?

Annie, if you ever heard Hepburn talk about Spencer Tracy, or saw them together, you would know she wasn't gay. She was a good actress, but not that good.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't know if she was or wasn't and frankly don't care -- but I do have to disagree with the assertion that one can "know" when looking in from the outside, at a very small snippet of a person's whole life. It's entirely probable that she adored Tracy, while having desires expressed elsewhere as well. One can never truly "know" about someone else's deepest longings.

• sable64
    3 years ago

Ocotillo - I wonder if you've seen the wonderful documentary Tab Hunter Confidential, made about handsome Tab with his complete cooperation. It's an excellent look at how life was for gay actors back in the day. Hunter eventually lived his full best life uncloseted with his partner, on his beautiful horse ranch outside L.A. His openness and good humor make this one of the best Hollywood/movie documentaries I've seen. Highly recommended!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

As someone who often heard her elderly parents embellish a story or change the details to make it more entertaining, I would not take the word of a 95 year old former Hollywood pimp/prostitute as the gospel truth. Not saying there weren't truths in there somewhere, but I wouldn't necessarily take that one source as irrefutable evidence. Not that I really give a hoot about actors private lives anyway, but I'm not a fan of laziness in sourcing in articles written by so called journalists. Having worked in theater for years, I grew up knowing that many actors were gay or bisexual, but I also would like to think that a person deserves personal privacy when it comes to what they are doing in their bedrooms. A person deserves some privacy despite their making a living by working in public. They are artists, not ministers, and even ministers deserve to be cut a bit of a break in the "perfection" department, whatever people's varying expectations on that may be . . .

Edited to add that when it comes to actors, looks are always deceiving, that's the name of the game . . . some have perfected the art more than others, and some have varying levels of wanting to have that play out in their personal lives . . .

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

If you read some analysis of Bogey's acting style, it gives a lot of credit to his ability to come up with characterizations that fit his desire to find away to stand out in the old studio system. Louise Brooks, who knew him in his early days of the theater, ascribed his screen sex appeal to his judicious ability to underplay. Which is probably why I find him mesmerizing when he is at his best. From an article analyzing Bogart's development as an actor by Brooks, who attributes his friendship with Leslie Howard as pivotal because it helped him realize he could use a natural acting style, and then she said Bogart's brilliance was how to embellish naturalism, because she said that most people don't want to see actors being "natural." For that they can stay home and observe their own lives. They want embellishment to look natural though.

On Bogart's sex appeal:

"That blank look of Humphrey's was the key to his attitude towards sex. He was so contemptuous of other men's needs to publicise their amorous triumphs that he refused to notice them. Being himself supremely confident of his own attractiveness to women, he scorned every form of demonstrativeness. When a woman appealed to him, he waited for her like the flame waits for the moth"

Explains why Bogart was able to play so well off of some of Hollywoods great leading ladies, and why they were always the ones doing the emoting . . . rather a feminist concept for the times--equally smart self confident gals aren't afraid to take the lead . . . thus Bogey's anti-hero bona fides, IMHO.