mxk3

Talk to me about celadine poppy - Stylophorum diphyllum

mxk3

Caught my eye in a magazine. What has your experience been with this one?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

they showed up on my lot as a gift from God .. one of the few things that were truly a gift ... and not a scourge.... lol

you will recall .... i used to roundup my hosta beds .. so it never became a problem.. nor was it aggressive ...

luckily it had rather unique leaves so i could spot them and avoid spraying most of the few i had ... actually i had to look them up.. because i thought they were annuals ... go figure on that ..

like all poppies.. they just made me happy ... especially because they were a yellow poppy.. who knew.. lol ..

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

I had these years ago and remember really loving them, but they disappeared. Kinda forgot about them until you mentioned them lol. Could easily have been from my neglect/ignorance that they petered out, as I had them when I was a new gardener (my knowledge has increased since then, but can't say the same for my attentiveness to the garden lol!)

Sorry I can't be of more help!
    :)
    Dee

• Nevermore44 - 6a

I’ve had a few clumps over many many years. Shade, average moisture. They can seed down and spread some if happy.... but are very easy to control by yanking any out that you don’t want or just cutting off the seed pods that hang out for a long time. Great plant

• mxk3

Ok, then -- sounds like it may be a winner! Will put it on my list for 2021. Should be able to source it locally (well, hopefully...)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

mxk, I just happened to be looking for certain seeds and came across celadine poppy seeds on Prairie Moon Nursery. The notes do say it may be hard to germinate, and I don't know if you even want to try growing this from seed, but when I saw it I thought of this thread and thought I'd pass it along

https://www.prairiemoon.com/stylophorum-diphyllum-celandine-poppy-prairie-moon-nursery.html

:)
    Dee

• Gargamel

My sister had a ton of them in her garden (zone 5a/b Canada) and they bloomed at the same time as her bleeding hearts (June?). They looked beautiful. They were in a fairly shady location (along with Solomon’s Seal)

• mxk3

Thanks, Dee!

• Cathy Kaufell

I grow mine in my wooded area with part shade, Usually blooms in May for me in my zone 6.Reseeds nicely.

• nekobus

I’ve got a couple, in part shade and part sun, avg moisture, that have come back for a few years. We’ll see whether they survived last summer’s drought. I’m z6.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)

mxk3, it is such a pretty spring plant. You cant go wrong with it. (Do a search in this forum....lots of good threads).