SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
kswlagain

HGTV IDEA HOUSE...Worst Yet?

Kswl 2
last month
last modified: last month

The exterior is unappealing, lacking much of the detail that makes a home charming and inviting. The color scheme is pure 1980s, with cranberry, too many blue shades and a teal green that is dark and uninviting. The inside finish materials used are so disparate they look like they‘ve been left over from various other jobs, and the outside spaces aren’t any better. The whole house is a hodgepodge of rooms, colors, ideas and mistakes.

A classic Newport Beach house should have been easy to design inside and out. This is the worst HGTV idea house in my memory. curious what others think of it:

https://www.hgtv.com/sweepstakes/hgtv-dream-home/2021/hgtv-dream-home-2021-tour-pictures?nl=R-HGTV%3ADH2021_2020-12-29_3x1&bid=37558be6-8a3c-42cd-9595-1bfb5d9829d7&c32=ad29d78f83d26c232234655fdf970ade910f9bee&source&gender=female&birth_year=1956&bsft_clkid=13471d32-050b-4c0d-902a-45e30223e734&bsft_uid=172ebaf1-a268-4629-98fe-fb6aa6785403&bsft_mid=9c6d59e9-e74c-44c8-951a-a3a7b4d9e1be&bsft_eid=c3c7816b-1739-acc3-5b23-5b1fe5c3cf53&bsft_mime_type=html&bsft_ek=2020-12-29T12%3A40%3A44Z&bsft_aaid=64454161-11c0-4b54-98e4-428154f59400&bsft_lx=27&bsft_tv=10

Comments (46)

• aktillery9
    last month

Definitely the worst one yet! The colors are jarring. The front exterior looks bland and somewhat builder grade. They could have done so much better.

I like the outdoor spaces as well.

Kswl 2 thanked aktillery9
  • vinmarks
    last month

Horrible. The outside looks like a tract home. The combinations of the colors of walls, cabinets and draperies look off to me. There is not much I like about it. Even the outside spaces are nothing to write home about.

Kswl 2 thanked vinmarks
  • Related Discussions

Need ideas of fabric to contrast with sofas and chairs

Q

Comments (5)
    If you are going for traditional English, then you need chintz in a cream or white that goes with your sofa colour - or match the fabric (IKEA do a very similar set of curtains but you should check it out as I don' trust colour matching except with the naked eye) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40216866/ If you want modern - you could add a geometric pattern that picks up the colours in your armchair. I am worried that curtains will block out half your light. Traditional curtains will be drawn to the side - and you will lose to panels of light. Would you be interested in sliding fabric panels instead? Just stick to the palette of a cream base with shots of pink and greens and your room is tied together.
    ...See More

Paint/decor ideas for harvest gold bathroom

Q

Comments (17)
    Spoonflower.com has some gorgeous fabrics with harvest gold in them. I would choose one of them for a shower curtain and use it as a jumping off point for the rest of the color palette. Make the harvest gold a feature and when you can afford to do so redo the whole bathroom all at once. Here are some examples of their fabrics with harvest gold: http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1667823 , http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/2070653 This one http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/189056 adds in a modern grey which would tone down the gold. Spoon flower also has a great selection of decals (removable wallpaper) which would be a good way to temporarily decorate the walls. If the mirror doesn't extend to the ceiling or walls adding a chunky wood trim around it would help. I wouldn't recommend removing it right now unless you are willing to risk damaging the wall.
    ...See More

HGTV HIgh Low Project

Q

Comments (11)
    @moneypenny02, just watched "The High Low Project". Should be the one you spoke of, the living room, and those two fuzzy ottomans that she made. Since I DVR the show, at the end, they listed all the stores, etc., that they shopped at or bought stuff on-line from. Here is the list: Made Goods Mitchell Gold Bob Williams Home Montaperto Poppin O'Verlays Safavieh Tempaper Wayfair Worlds Away Also listed the local shops: Angel Street Thrift Shop, Bashian, Epstein's Paint Center, and Flor Missed a whole bunch more: Gracious Home, Haven's Kitchen, Hayneedle, King David Gallery, Kirkland's, Lee's Art Shop, Lillian August, and Lobel Modern. Hope that helps! :))
    ...See More

Need help with ideas for my kitchen...

Q

Comments (67)
    This was the kitchen at it's worse!! I almost cried when I walked in that day lol... UPDATE: Finally 3 years later I am updating! We started our renovations in April 2016 and finished November 2016... Thankfully, we were at the cottage throughout the renovations. Hubby did everything from gutting the kitchen to the studs, re-insulating, plumbing, electrical and the hardwood flooring throughout the main floor. He would start after his workday, finish around 7pm and head to the cottage, which is only 20 mins away from home. I must mention that hubby's middle name should be Patience, the man is amazing... The only thing he did not do was install the cupboards, and counters. We chose a local company Cedar Ridge Designs (http://www.cedarridgedesigns.ca/) and we were completely satisfied with their work. (Unfortunatly the photos are not in the order I wanted them to go in, oh well, I think you get the idea...) BTW, I LOVE OUR NEW KITCHEN!!! ETA: We will eventually do the backsplash in white subway tile.
    ...See More
  • robo (z6a)
    last month

Wow, I have to agree. The entrance hurts my feelings. The porch is a huge miss. The stairway and the location thereof is terrible and actively clashes with the architecture of the house such as it is.

Kswl 2 thanked robo (z6a)
  • jjam
    last month

I don't love everything about it but I do like the fact that they filled it with color! I look at these "dream" houses much the same as designer show houses. They are meant to showcase design trends and ideas, and whoever eventually lives there would make changes to suit them. I like the use of a strong color palette and while I don't agree with all of their choices, together it makes a statement that is refreshing to see after so much white and griege.

Kswl 2 thanked jjam
  • brigiddevneyrye
    last month

I was horrified! I always look forward to seeing the HGTV dream home and thought everything about it was terrible. With so many wonderful designers in the world, I don't know how this happened! It was also really boring!

Kswl 2 thanked brigiddevneyrye
  • Kswl 2
    Original Author
    last month

This is crazy.... I posted this days ago and it disappeared, so I started the other thread about it disappearing. And now it shows up!

• arcy_gw
    last month

I love the outside of this house. Front and back!! Garage not in front screaming at you--too bad they think it's a party room, someone needs to tell them if this is for *19 they missed the SCIENCE. That garage is a confining space JUST LIKE INDOORS! Reasonable sized front porch, functional yet not screaming a lot of wasted space for spiders to invite! Ya'll must not have seen the reveal of the three major paint dealers--GRAY/DRAB/COLD is dead. This is the year of COLOR!! I would never paint WALLS so bold but accessories FOR SURE. Wicker--not happening. It harbors dust and I am not into high maintenance furnishings. If this ends up an AirBnB they will need to redo that industrial cold railing system around the stairs. They created a climbing apparatus for small children to launch themselves over. FUNCTION people FUNCTION. And frankly that is an outdoor system that does not work INSIDE, IMHO That blue kitchen is for sure a FAD and one that would wear thin fast. The tiny seating area near by--hard legs on wood floor those chairs will be slammed into that back wall every time someone goes to sit down. DARK saturated colors on walls show knicks by looking too close!! Not that any would choose to sit there! Just dumb. What's with hanging a surfboard on the wall but no shelves for books???! Ya gotta love nautical to last more than a vacation in this house for sure!!

Kswl 2 thanked arcy_gw
  • IdaClaire
    last month

But the designer chose garish colors that only serve to give the house a choppy, non-cohesive look. Like a child being turned loose with a Crayola box and having no sense of nuance. The entire house is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Kswl 2 thanked IdaClaire
  • shirlpp
    last month

I wonder whose dream this is? The too many window boxes and all of the plantings being too close to the foundation would be a nightmare for me.

Kswl 2 thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    last month

That home is sooooo not Newport. I wouldn’t want to win it, because I would be embarrassed to live in it. There is a Navy base near by. Temporary housing?

Fabulous view!

Kswl 2 thanked JudyG Designs
  • clt3
    last month

Well, I'm glad there's color, just not all of those colors together. I like the kitchen but it looks like dish storage is not near the dishwasher. Very, very choppy with no flow in design and color.

Kswl 2 thanked clt3
  • Springroz
    last month

Not my dream....To me, it looks like a classic “remuddle”. I do like those big lamps in the family room. Who wants to sit next to shingles to enjoy the view?

Kswl 2 thanked Springroz
  • ceilsan32
    last month

In addition to the Crayola crayon box of colors, I'd hate trying to keep those rattan light fixtures clean. What could have been a calming home instead appears to jar the senses.

Kswl 2 thanked ceilsan32
  • Kswl 2
    Original Author
    last month

The master bath sinks are placed very close together with silly looking, small mirrors just above. No sense of proportion or how people actually live in a house. Four floors of a “dream house” and no elevator....a bar for the rooftop deck accessible only by a spiral staircase—-how will they stock the bar, by helicopter?

The designer has no training, which is obvious, and his own home is a similar train wreck of dark and dreary.

• bichonbabe
    last month

Personally , I like it. It’s not the usual gray overload I see everywhere. And FYI this is in Newport Rhode Island, not Newport Beach which is in California.

Kswl 2 thanked bichonbabe
  • deegw
    last month

FYI, the house really isn't in Newport, it's in Portsmouth. Approximately 10 miles away. Portsmouth is not a bad place, I don't know why HGTV is ignoring the true location.

Kswl 2 thanked deegw
  • Yayagal
    last month

If I win, I'm going to sell it. lol

Kswl 2 thanked Yayagal
  • Kswl 2
    Original Author
    last month

They have done that with many Of these homes, building in a nearby, less expensive location but using the name of the town with more cachet.

• bpath
    last month

If the designer said “jazzed” or “I love the idea of“ one more time . . .

I wish there was a segment on the design of the house itself, the whys and wherefores, not just the interior decor, and even then his video was mostly about how many sailboats he could squeeze in to the house.

Kswl 2 thanked bpath
  • jewelisfabulous
    last month

These are all my favorite colors, but there's too much of it. The walls are just saturated, leaving the eye no where to "rest". That red has got to go in the main room and there's way too much blue upstairs. Fortunately, the winner of the house also gets a bunch of cash that he/she can use to repaint.

Kswl 2 thanked jewelisfabulous
  • barncatz
    last month

While I especially dislike the chocolate brown powder room, I really enjoyed the captions written by Captain Obvious, e.g.

"Large windows in the entry French doors...

...while the open and airy stairs lead into other areas of the home.

Navy and white plaid curtains in the dining room frame the window...

With the bedroom’s white paneled door open, you can look across the bold berry-red hall...

The glass door makes it easy to see the activity inside,..."

Oh for pity's sake, lol!

"The insulated front garage doors have window inserts that allow natural light inside."

Kswl 2 thanked barncatz
  • barncatz
    last month

Did not see this bedroom closet caption coming, though:

"White paneled double doors open to a reach-in closet, that offers hanging storage for clothes and accessories like hats."

(Photo shows two hanging ball caps.)

Kswl 2 thanked barncatz
  • deegw
    last month

We watched the reveal show and the designer reminded me of the people who act like they reinvented the wheel when they try something new to them that others have been touting for years.

I'll never forget my BIL waxing poetic about flossing a few years ago. Really? Did flossing help your gums? That's amazing! (I didn't actually say anything but I probably had an incredulous look on my face.)

Kswl 2 thanked deegw
  • pudgeder
    last month

It's not my favorite, and it's far from the location best suitable for me, but I'll take it when they draw my name.

.........and promptly list it, and pocket the funds.........

LOL

Kswl 2 thanked pudgeder
  • tedbixby
    last month

Big MISS on this one, HGTV. And I like color!!

Kswl 2 thanked tedbixby
  • Lars
    last month

When you said "Newport Beach" I thought you meant California. Is Newport RI known for its beaches? I think of it more as a port or harbor.

The house in RI is disappointing, but I do not dislike it as much as others do. I consider it a near miss rather than a total miss. I don't like the shade of red on the walls - it looks very 1980s, but perhaps that is now a retro style. If it had Memphis furniture, I would like it better.

I don't like the dark ceilings.

Kswl 2 thanked Lars
  • Gizmo
    last month

Did not like it.

Between the RI house and the Portland Urban Oasis that was a miss from awhile back - maybe time for using another ID.

Kswl 2 thanked Gizmo
  • L L
    last month

The homes have been over the top lately in my opinion. I like color and am not a gray and white person, but I just don't find the interior design very tasteful. The urban oasis one in Maine was even worse though.

Kswl 2 thanked L L
  • Gooster
    last month

we did hit this quite a bit in the other thread -- to give the benefit of the doubt I would guess some choices are influenced by availability by the major sponsors.

Some things I brought up:

* Color is not a problem for me, it is the usage. It is the mix of hues, saturation and undertones that sometimes goes off.

* Lack of functionality. Examples: Barrier island in the kitchen with no prep sink. No sign of outlets on any side of the island or the top.

* Proportion and scale fails at times for me.

* I'm actually underwhelmed by the front landscaping. It looks like a quick subdivision job not something on h"G"tv. It is not going to grow in well.

Kswl 2 thanked Gooster
  • Lukki Irish
    last month

I felt like I was reliving the nightmares from painting our house originally. When we moved in, it had the same colors....a colbot blue kitchen, a blood red living room, a p**p brown powder room and the dark blue bedrooms. I really don’t understand the draw or what they’re thinking, it’s just as ugly now as it was 15 years ago.

I find the oversized lighting in the kitchen to be overwhelming. I would have preferred a more muted Navy for the cabinets and to see it limited to the island, as is, it’s too much.

Kswl 2 thanked Lukki Irish
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

I like color, but not that much, esp not that much red...no way is red relaxing...which is what I want to do at a beach house.

I never like dark muntins as, to me, it give a house a sinister look.

But I really don't like those oversized basket light fixtures. They are completely out of proportion...I don't care if it's 'in style' now...for me the one thing that never goes out of style is proportion and massing.

It's also very cheap looking with no moldings...it makes it look builder basic and far cheaper than I'm sure it was.

I agree with kswl that to have a roof deck and accessible only by circular stairs completely ignores family living with aging family members and guests. Most impractical.

And this is RI where the weather is lousy more than half the year. Spare me the giant outdoor kitchen.

Yeah, a *lot* to not like in this place. Win and sell quick to pocket the cash.

Kswl 2 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • shirlpp
    last month

No wonder it's like that:

The home was constructed by local builder JPS Construction & Design with interior design by Brian Patrick Flynn.

Brian entered the television industry in 2002 at an NBC affiliate in Fort Lauderdale as a news producer.

After producing a financial story on budget-friendly interior design projects, Brian crossed over from network to cable to join the production team of Surprise by Design[3] on The Discovery Channel. The eight-hour makeover timeline prepared Brian for a similar position on the spin-off series Rally Round the House for which he relocated to Atlanta. It was there that Brian learned the art of designing outdoor living spaces and working with outdoor materials.

Flynn is self-taught and credits his formal education in video production from The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale for influencing his interest in set design and set decoration.

Kswl 2 thanked shirlpp
  • Springroz
    last month

Welllll, with credentials like THAT....lol. I was just thinking how much it was going to cost to repaint....but there is a serious lack of space in those bedrooms....I can tell by the old “dresser in the closet” trick..... My DF was a salesman....and it used to drive him MAD when RE people would walk into the room and say, “This is the kitchen”!!! Nawwww, we were confused.....

Kswl 2 thanked Springroz
  • Kswl 2
    Original Author
    last month

It’s interesting that Flynn believes he has training in outdoor space design when the current dream house exterior is a sea of drab gray and one poster pointed out on the other thread that the uncovered bar has no overhang for people’s legs to go under. Their stools will have to be so far back from the counter to accommodate their legs some. Won’t be able to reach their plates. That isn’t a rookie mistake, it’s moronic.

• Jinx
    last month

I replied on the other thread about the decor, but was thinking more on *why* ....

I think, as per typical with our society now, it’s about shock value and getting attention — which is why they hired this guy.

Extreme just for the sake of being extreme.

Not thoughtful, not thinking of people who might live there, not caring if it‘s pleasing. Instant decor, using the trendiest styles possible.

HGTV is catering to the young social media demographic here, not us old farts. :D

Kswl 2 thanked Jinx
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Not just a lack of space for your feet at the outdoor bar, but you are stuck in the sun as there is no awning and it is right at the edge of the roofline.

Kswl 2 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Kswl 2
    Original Author
    last month

I hope there is at least a very commodious and watertight gutter!

• IdaClaire
    last month

"HGTV is catering to the young social media demographic here, not us old farts. :D"

So very true. And not to be an old judgmental bat (oh, who am I kidding), but I get the distinct impression that the designer is striving to market himself as a certain kind of social media "brand", as in the photos on his site of his wedding in Antarctica, both partners standing on an ice floe in their tuxes and snow boots. (And yes, I went to Iceland recently and stood on some ice myself, but for the pure joy of doing so, not for blogging about the whole damn experience.) To me, there's a difference in sharing photos from your holiday or wedding and curating it all in an attempt to sell yourself as a certain something that you want others to view as a commodity of coolness. That's what I dislike most about the social media platforms that have become a vast collection of "lifestyle influencers". Give me a flippin break with the self-absorbed vapidness of it all.

Kswl 2 thanked IdaClaire
  • Rory (Zone 6)
    last month

I like the wood countertops, and the two woven chairs in the entry. The octopus thing is kinda cool.

I don't like any of the lighting fixtures.

I really truly hate the red walls and all of the other colors in the house. None of the colors work together - it's the opposite of calming.

The patio with the Versa-Lock walls and fire pit is awful. This is not the type of exposed outdoor furniture your have in Newport, RI. You could have exposed outdoor furniture in Newport Beach, CA where they have consistent weather but not on the east coast.

The putting green is a nice touch.

What's with the sofa on the gazebo blocking the steps??

Why is the garage a party room?

The entire house looks like a Walt Disney and Home Goods collaboration.

Kswl 2 thanked Rory (Zone 6)
  • shivece
    last month

I think the interior design looks cheap and tacky. No fun running up the spiral stairs in your snow boots to shovel off the deck......Equipment rental to get the furniture off of it every year before winter?

Kswl 2 thanked shivece
  • Lukki Irish
    last month

Flynn is self-taught and credits his formal education in video production from The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale for influencing his interest in set design and set decoration.

That explains it. Designing a home that will be lived in vs. a set production for the camera are two entirely different things. Some people may be able to cross over like that and do it well, but I don’t think he is one of them.

Kswl 2 thanked Lukki Irish
  • Gizmo
    last month

Jinx

3 hours ago

I replied on the other thread about the decor, but was thinking more on *why* ....

I think, as per typical with our society now, it’s about shock value and getting attention — which is why they hired this guy.

Extreme just for the sake of being extreme.

Not thoughtful, not thinking of people who might live there, not caring if it‘s pleasing. Instant decor, using the trendiest styles possible.

HGTV is catering to the young social media demographic here, not us old farts. :D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brian has been their go-to designer for the Dream/Urban Oasis homes for awhile now

I would love to know how much HGTV/producers play into the ID of the project

I have seen other projects Brian has done... and while not my style, I could appreciate his work.

I thought this kitchen was such a miss in the Portland, ME Urban Oasis home .

Horrible work triangle

https://www.hgtv.com/sweepstakes/hgtv-urban-oasis/2020/hgtv-urban-oasis-2020-kitchen-pictures

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

set design and set decoration...

Well, at least he realizes in real life you need 4 walls on a room...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

If this door opens in, then the table is blocking the door...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

I consider a railing like this to be a safety hazard for children as they can easily climb up and over on those cables.