Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_402585631

Help find me an alternative rug before my husband catches on!

Karen Rose
3 years ago

I need help finding an alternative rug for my living room!

I just received the rug shown, but I’m planning to return it. The light gray in it is too close to the sofa, which is already close to the wall.

I also feel the colorblock style is too matchy-matchy with the style of the sofa and feels like it’s all come out of a box.

My husband is about to get in the car and drive away because I’ve already gone through a stack of swatches and 2 full rugs and am still not settled!

Can you help before I drive him and myself nuts?

My house is kind of modern minimalist / with some transitional and MCM elements. I like modern farmhouse too.

I’m thinking of going darker to give some contrast and ground the room a bit more. I was also contemplating a cheap “for now” rug. The one here is 9 x 12.

That gold tray is not part of the room decor. We’re getting a walnut coffee table, a walnut bookcase, and two end tables with smoked glass tops.

I am anxiously awaiting the thoughts and ideas of you design gurus!

Comments (100)

• skunst2017
    3 years ago

I would keep your rug but turn it around , so that the yellow is on the opposite side . Perfect rug for your furniture !

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey everyone! Happy New Year! I want to thank everyone for your thoughts, suggestions, and even design mock-ups! You're great!

It is kind of a bummer that Houzz won't let you respond to people's individual comments, but let me get to some of them here!

If you're interested, the rug in the original photo is from Crate and Barrel -- its the Kirk rug.

About the light tan chair stuck behind the dark brown one, that's going. The dark brown reading chair is staying. Its my husband's new reading chair. I tried to steer him towards more mod options, but this is the one he picked. I'm reasonably satisfied that it works with the picture frames and the walnut coffee table that's coming, so I'm ok with it. It is also from Crate and Barrel.

I change my mind every few hours about the rug. I don't love it, but during the hours I've decided to keep it, I get a nice soothing feeling from the though of moving on to other things. But after the brief respite of relief, I decide it looks tacky and I start scouring the Internet for alternatives! I must be managing to keep the ebb and flow of my turmoil relatively discrete as I awoke this morning to find my husband still here. I have not yet driven him to the brink.

Someone suggested to bring in some black. Indeed, some black is already coming! The coffee table has a walnut top and black legs (Room and Board "Classic") and the end tables have similar black legs and smoked glass tops (a transparent black glass). And I have a charcoal clay vase for the table and a number of art pieces in black frames that will be going here and there.

I also think that maybe bringing in some organic forms on the pillows to break up the ridged geometry might work. I was thinking about these, for example: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/leanne-ford-pillow-arrangement/f96184 Everdebz, I like your idea about bringing in an organic looking lamp too! On the list!

Maureen, I like your idea too about a simple, organic looking rug. That is more in line with what I had imagined. In the hours I've decided to hate my current rug, I will look for those organic ones too!

There were also a few suggestions about moving the couch, turning the rug, and the yellow rectangle on the rug being the problem. We really don't have room for another furniture arrangement, unfortunately. The LR is open to the kitchen, and if I place the love seat on that side, rather than the chair, it boxes everything in and squeezes the traffic area. Turning the rug might be interesting. I actually picked the rug because I thought the rectangle would go with the yellow square picture, but it does become the dominant feature. I'm thinking the round coffee table would cover it a bit. If I can entice my husband to leave for the afternoon, I might surreptitiously switch it and see how it looks.

And I just want to say I'm amazed by the quick graphic skills of those who posted room mock-ups and "view in my room" alternatives! I did my own mock up of my room which turned out like a South Park cartoon. I will post it below for entertainment purposes.

And thank you to everyone, too, who took the time to just say that they liked the original rug. Sometimes its hard to see the merits of what you've put together when you're so close to the decision.

Thanks again everyone for your attention! If anyone has more ideas, they would be welcome! I will let you know what I decide!

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And this is the "South Park" version of my living room! Hat tip to those who do the great graphics!

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you don’t love the rug, you never will (and neither will your husband lol). It also boxes you into a look I don’t think you were aiming for, given your original comments. The exact rug color is not as important as the design in creating a calm, organic feeling. I think your leather chair would be complimentary to that kind of look as well

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Once again, agree with everything Maureen said

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

"If you don’t love the rug, you never will (and neither will your husband lol)." Maureen's words are wise. :)

It really doesn't matter what strangers on the Internet think. :) I'm in the "keep the current rug" camp because I think it's perfect so I'm sorry I can't offer you alternate suggestions. That said, in your first pic, the rectangle leans yellow whereas in your mood board it looks more gold. To my amateur eye, it looks less matchy-matchy with yellow than gold but I do understand how the pattern might not be the most versatile. I got the sense from the first pic that you're not finished with this room and pillows would appear at some point. The suggestion of waiting on the end tables is a good one. It'll help you feel the space more and firm up your vision for it.

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks guys! My husband says he likes the rug. At this point though, I think he’d say he liked a burlap sack on the floor if it meant he no longer had to move furniture.

• HU-786049761
    3 years ago

I agree with Maureen above that a simple organic style would be more modern. Studio McGee does a great job with modern area rugs, a good start to google images. All the square shapes are overwhelming, art, sofa, area rug, just one on top of another, too much repetition. The larger art you have in your dining area is a better scale for over your sofa, and long wall in the living area. It also has more visual impact while the square ones seem like just two colors because the detail is smaller within the art. An ivory background and grey pattern (similar to 1st photo above from Maureen) could tie in your island as well.

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do like McGee&Co. a lot but they don’t have a view in your room function and don’t easily accept returns on rugs. :(

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

My husband would be the same (I,e. Saying I love the rug prevents me from having to keep moving the @#$$#@ couch!). But I also know he wants me to be happy, so if I changed the rug and smiled more, he would like that too. If you’re this ambivalent, then I say keep at it. You’re getting a lot of simpler rugs. Maybe some more colorful ones would do the trick?

Gutierez Southwestern Gray/Yellow/Blue Area Rug
    https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/bungalow-rose-gutierez-southwestern-grayyellowblue-area-rug-w002227190.html

Tsukiji Oriental Orange Area Rug
    https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/mistana-tsukiji-oriental-orange-area-rug-w000567686.html

Floral Gold Area Rug
    https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/bungalow-rose-floral-gold-area-rug-w004178721.html

Hartell Oriental Multicolor Area Rug
    https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/bungalow-rose-hartell-oriental-multicolor-area-rug-

Indira Abstract Gray/Orange Area Rug
    https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/mistana-indira-abstract-grayorange-area-rug-w001150629.html

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Your tables and pillows, Maureen's pillow, and some organic lamps and vases...

The Loloi rug; although, reviewers say it's more olive than charcoal. Looks tan to me!

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I overlooked last sentence of yours, that "I like modern farmhouse too," so the softer look of last neutral rug that's fine but not midcmodern.

But a statement lamp like I posted [or other] could set it into one obvious vibe. The rug is great and not tacky - without it idk if you'd have your mcm.

Is there another room as suited or more so - to MFarm... bedroom or....

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Generally speaking i think there are too many “squares”...it feels rigid...not fluid....some curves are needed...and all the surfaces are too flat...some texture would be more inviting...some thick...bumpy ..dimensional ...features in pillows, rugs ,and throws would work...right now....it doesnt say...come sink in to this cozy spot to relax and talk or read...it feels a little “model home” minimal...it sounds like the new tables may add to this feel ...so the big round lacy tray on one of the tables and the curvy 3tier lighting are a good start...looking for a lush shag rug or a textured dimensional curvy pattern or color variation that is soft...not edgy ...more or less the effect is ...contrast...i also the rugs on the wall idea ...placed and sized properly it could also be a good direction

• Abby Mac
    3 years ago

Love that rug in that room!!

• everdebz
    3 years ago
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Extends rug to transitional, and global - posting because of brown chair.

Guna African Mud Cloth Pillow, 20"x20", Envelope Back, Cover Only · More Info

20"x20" African Bantu Pillow, Peppercorn, With Pillow Insert · More Info

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

For function ..a good size square with a generous size lumbar leaning on it....angled at each end of the couch ...seems like a good start...but again timing is everything ...these details are like the frosting on the cake...they should come last...

• ashtonchic
    3 years ago

Your rug, which I really like, is kind of MCM like your dining set. The yellow and gray is very common in MCM design. Don't really know what the issue is, but here is another rug for you to think about. Not so iconic.

Corrigan Studio® Lowther Geometric Hand Hooked Jute/Cotton Gray/Brown Area Rug | · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Triangle Coffee Table Modern Glass Top With Wood Base, Walnut · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

new day, new view for me -- the placement of the rug's angles seems fine -- the ottoman fills in the larger, plain area at right, etc... :)

and a smaller round of whatever you buy might be fine too, cause chair, etc.. has their own table/s.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I barely 'see' the tray, but with a round base, might make a unique, proud of it item... yes, let's see it... your mention of a 'room out of a box' -- your own 'stamp' makes it less so. I post an 'extreme' example cause yours might satisfy a creative drive.

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey everyone! I got a few swatches of other rugs, and none of them really knocked my socks off. I thought I had a winner in a Dash & Albert rug called Snapdragon, but the swatch is much more brown in person than the photos online. I have another few samples coming, but I think I might live with this one while but keep my eye out for something down the road. I’ll send a photo when we get everything put together. Thanks again for your input!

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Are you going to show your make-do table first, with the ottoman under? aw come on...

your rug surely wasn't cheap... camel and ivories and grey is classic.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

This is what I found quick:

"Gray, golden tan and white create a restful and serene space. Amber lamps look totally elegant surrounded by gray walls."

Oakland Master Bedroom · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Football on tv, so I decided to look at your saved ideabooks. Do you think your room shares some of this casual feel? I basically think so.

4460 Greenwich - Nice Concepts · More Info

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi. I mentioned I’d sent a photo when we got the furniture in. Here is one. I’m going to change the pillows (there is too much brown), need a few things here and there, but it’s now a fully lived in space (as you will note from the cats and the associated fuzz balls.) Thanks for your help and input. The design steered a bit hard into the 1950’s / MadMen look, but it’s certainly better than what we started with! Thanks for all your suggestions.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Looks great!! I like touches of green. I'm not seeing too much brown but if you're in the mood to switch up pillows, I'm spotting them on sale everywhere online. Don't forget you can also simply get new covers for the new ones you have.

Room & Board:

West Elm:

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Hey! Thanks for the update, Karen. You’ve done a great job with balance of color and visual weight. Great pillow choices with the cinnamon velvet and botanical. Can we see a close-up of the other one that looks like tweed?

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

Looks great! Would you be willing to share source for your coffee table?

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Bluemarble. These are the pillows I currently have. The brown ones are Crate and Barrel, the leaf ones I found on Society 6, the tweed are Crate and Barrel, the chevron pillow and yellow throw are Room and Board.

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oops here is the pillow photo

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Susan, sure. It’s Room and Board Classic coffee table with black/graphite legs and a walnut top. I think 42”. The couches end tables and bar tower on the right in the main photo are all Room and Board too. The bookcase on the left is Pottery Barn and the rug is Crate and Barrel.

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The leather reading chair and ottoman are Crate and Barrel too.

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

For those interested, here is a close up of the bar tower. I put it together combining pieces from the Room and Board “Beam” collection. It perfectly fit this funny corner we had between the kitchen and living room. I think it turned out pretty cool!

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe something like this is a little better for the pillows.

• ashtonchic
    3 years ago

Karen - looks fab!

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Yes, the bar tower works perfectly in so many ways. You're pretty good with pillow staging haha. Both combinations look nice. Is the other brown pillow on the loveseat in the second scenario?

• Karen Rose
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bluemarble, yes it’s with the tweed pillows.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Now that you have added more detail to the room i would consider keeping the pillows under the art in solid colors..so they compete or distract from the art or other new additions...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

“Don’t” compete🤷🏼‍♀️

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Your unique bar is fantastic. And the room looks much better.

• happyleg
    3 years ago

That looks good & don't mind the pillows.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

So nice! Hope ok to say- spread the brown around with 1 on sofa [by the window]?

I don't get the leafy ones, esp. peachy-sand part... not with the strong bit of yellow-green in art. The gold throw too close a hue for it.... though maybe the rug has gold.... don't yell please! ;)

• heathermalia
    3 years ago

great job! I love it - love the interesting pillows too! I wouldn't have put them together but they work so well!