1nonlyj

Welsh blankets!

IdaClaire

I'm reading a delightful little book called "Cosy: The British Art of Comfort" by Laura Weir, and there is a chapter on cosy crafting where she makes mention of Welsh blankets:
"Welsh weaving is one such trend, its product a timeless textile that has recently made a comeback, thanks to its signature geometric patterns in bright, unconventional colour combinations. Using looms to achieve the double weave that makes the blankets durable and extra-cosy, Welsh weavers have long been aware of the well-being benefits of their profession..."
That led me to look online to see what these blankets are all about, and oh my, I am smitten! I have a definite thing for blankets and throws anyway, as I suspect many of us here do, and these have me swooning. Check em out:
https://honestlywtf.com/home/currently-crushing-on-welsh-blankets/

• IdaClaire

They have an old-fashioned, slightly Granny-craft look to them, which is precisely what I find so appealing. If course, seeing them photographed in settings like this first one only heightens the appeal for me.

A rare pair from the 1930s:

• tartanmeup

Holy mackerel. This is some gorgeous eye candy. I'm not sure I should thank you for sharing. :P

ETA: Just noticed the name of the blog you linked. I concur. :) Also, the timeless appeal of those interiors is just swoon-worthy.

• Tina Marie

Hmmm, I think the blankets may not be quite my thing but I adore little nooks such as the second picture above. There is an instagram account I follow (but I can't think of which one right now) that created a reading nook similar to above.

• Jinx

You. Are. So. Bad.

Why do you give me new obsessions like this?! These are fab — the colors, the patterns, the materials.

Swoon! I love the blankets, love these rooms, love everything.

Ok, off to look further. 😁

ETA: You know who else would love these blankets? Hint: Stripes. 😽

• Jinx

I want to move into this room right now.

• IdaClaire

Me too, Jinx! I don't "need" more blankets (and holy smokes, the real deal Welsh pieces can be expensive!), but I have once again gone down the proverbial rabbit hole and see so many things I just love. Some of these have a decidedly southwestern appeal, thanks to the geometrics, and that's probably another reason I'm so drawn to them.

• Sueb20

I was looking at these blankets a few months ago, inspired by a pic I saw somewhere...darn, now you’ve reminded me again. Love the stack of green blankets in your pic, Oco.

• IdaClaire

Yes, I too love the green! For me it manages to look both 1970s nostalgic and fresh at the same time. It reminds me of springtime, which is perhaps an odd thing to think of when looking at blankets!

• teeda

Oh wow--I think I have one! Bought it years ago at an estate sale and always wondered about its origin. Will dig it out and post a photo!

• bpath

Oco, I’ll bet another feature you find appealing is the hint of southwestern/Navajo elements in the designs. No?

• IdaClaire

Exactly, bpath!

Teeda! Ooooh! Do post a pic!

I love those little nooks too, Tina. They are just so wonderfully cozy! (Or cosy if you're a Brit. 😁

• teeda

Darn, I can't get the photos to post. Will keep trying.

• Jinx

That’s gorgeous, teeda!

• teeda

Thanks Jinx. I was drawn to it when I bought it, but it's pretty much sat in the linen closet since then. I have a new appreciation for it after seeing the site Ocotillo shared!

• IdaClaire

Oh, Teeda! That is stunning! The colors are luscious and it does look incredibly thick and warm. What a beautiful estate sale find! I'm so glad you have one and shared it with us. Now I want one even more!

• teeda

Thanks Oco. I'm so glad you started this thread! I'd never heard of Welsh blankets, despite doing a bit of research trying to figure the origins of mine. My DH's great grandmother came from Pontypridd, Wales (hometown of Tom Jones as well, lol!). I love anything to do with Wales (especially their humor as seen through Brit sitcom!), so knowing this is probably a Welsh blanket makes me smile.

• Fun2BHere

I had a brief flirtation with Welsh blankets back in the autumn. I don't remember where I came across them, but I spent a lovely hour perusing the offerings on eBay, adding picks to my wish list, then deleting everything because I live in an area where I rarely need a blanket and certainly not a really warm one. I do love the colors and patterns, though, and I was mightily tempted to purchase at least one just to enjoy the beauty first-hand.

IdaClaire thanked Fun2BHere
  • happy2b…gw

The photos drew me in. So lovely. I went looking and found this page that links mills in Wales. Very interesting information along with browsing. I discovered lovely Welsh purses.

IdaClaire thanked happy2b…gw
  • IdaClaire

Good info and videos on that site, happy! Thank you!

I've visited Wales twice but didn't know there was a thing as the Welsh blanket. Now I guess I'll just have to go back. 😁

• jlsch

I recently ran across this article as well, and am coveting the blankets. just a few weeks ago, after years of research, I published a lengthy family history book that was about my Welsh roots. Teeda, my ancestors also originated from Cardiganshire. So I‘m hoping to visit the area when I can....and I’d love to purchaser a blanket!

• lindac92

Looks like they are woven using the same technique that early American coverlets were. But they were almost always blue and white or blue maroon and white.

IdaClaire thanked lindac92
  • maire_cate

They definitely remind me of American coverlets which were common in the mid-Atlantic states and can sometimes be found in vintage stores in the PA area. I hadn't thought about the association before but I wonder if that's due to all the mines in the region. My father's grandparents were coal miners in PA, one set from Ireland and the other Scottish and Welsh.

There are 2 collections of American coverlets in PA that showcase some beautiful pieces. One is the National Museum of the American Coverlet in Bedford, PA.

http://www.coverletmuseum.org/default.htm

And the other is a collection donated to a college about an hour's drive from the National Museum.

http://mccarlgallery.org/

IdaClaire thanked maire_cate
  • IdaClaire

A coverlet museum? How wonderful! ❤

• Mrs. S

Thank you so much for sharing these! They look wonderful.... would love to have one, or ten.