2katz4me

What do you think the Covid situation will be in mid-August 2021

2katz4me

I just got a wedding notification that will require a flight and stay in another state. I'm not so sure everything will be hunky-dory in August. These are very close friends and we would want to be there under normal circumstances. I've also been pondering rescheduling my September vacation that I cancelled in 2020. I was about to rebook my accommodations but found one had increased the nightly rate by 60% so decided to hold off for now.

• 1929Spanish-GW

We won't think of booking anything until at least October. I'm guessing August is pushing it, but might still be plausible.

• terezosa / terriks

Seriously though, my son and his fiancée were supposed to get married last June. The venue allowed them to reschedule to this coming June, but they feel that is too soon, and are looking at September. I'm dying to go back to Spain and walk another Camino de Santiago route, but I want to finish no later than October, and I'll need about 5 weeks. So everything is up in the air with us.

Feeding the workers: What's considered common courtesy?

Since I'm many hours from the house, I can't supply items regularly. I did bring the large packs of bottled water from Costco. I also asked the General Contractor if there's anything they would like and he said the water is enough. I told him to replenish it if they run out. I gave permission to heat up their lunch with the microwave when they asked. Now that the appliances are out of the house, I bought a small dorm microwave for their use.

Tell us: What are your home plans for 2017?

Pat Brown a pot with something edible might be nice (the soil here is full of lead so we can only do planters, nothing edible in the ground.) I, too, considered a birdbath or something similar. You don't see so many birdbaths here in the city- I have no idea if the birds will actually use them or not (although we do have quite a lot of birds around here, including a random colony of brightly-colored monk parakeets that live in the cemetery up the block!) I could also do a low planter filled with succulents for the summer, although that would be seasonal as they won't survive the winters here. Husband desperately wants a japanese maple and that could grow in a planter, however I'm afraid it will end up casting too much shade and sucking up all the sun we get there (north facing, so just a few hours in the AM)

POLL: Would you buy a house where a major crime occurred?

@clemenza2 I’m in Nebraska, moved here with the mister from SoCal this last August (my family has all relocated out here; first my brother, my parents followed when they retired, and now I’m here.) So, some might say I too, need rescuing. What I need is for Nebraska to invest more in their roads and highway infrastructure so that not only are there fewer potholes taking out the 4-door Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi sedans which make it impossible to get anywhere in my small SUV that’s better equipped for inclement weather - but the highway situation can have better lighting and more signage... ;) seriously when we first got here I got turned around one night and found myself headed to western Nebraska by accident; of course it took forever to find an exit to turn back around and for so many many MANY miles it was nothing but the dark night sky and the occasional orangey yellow dim light poles. I was pissed that my ice cream had melted by the time I got back home. ;)

kraftmaid or another cabinet brand?

Thank you Debbi for your constructive suggestions. My cabinets were due Nov 10th. Two cabinets were missing. I immediately called to let them know. Over the next few weeks, I talked to 3 different customer service people at Kraftmaid and each told me a different time frame to replace the cabinets. I was very upset when I made the first postings so maybe lying might be a bit strong. I think they need more training. It made the situation worse because the story kept changing. The first two never gave me a specific date Person 1 -7 to 10 days and then Person 2- 2 weeks. The third person stated December 8th which was 4 weeks. She told me the first two should not have given me a timeframe without a schedule. I did call the company where I ordered the cabinets and was told there was nothing they could do to improve the date. I did receive the replacement cabinets on December 8th. The countertop people did the template that week and the countertop and sink is due to arrive on December 23rd - tomorrow! My house was built in 1976 and I still had the original cabinets so very excited to be getting new cabinets. I do not make large purchases very often. To the Kitchen Place: I placed the order in September. The person called Kraftmaid while I was sitting there. I told them up front I didn't want the kitchen tore up at Christmas and should I wait to order. The Kraftmaid person said they were scheduling 4 to 6 weeks out so I would get them in November. About a week later, I got a call from Kraftmaid stating Nov 10th delivery. I have never purchased anything like this and had no clue the shipment would have a problem. I am lucky though because I have found other people online with worse issues with Kraftmaid. One person also had her shipment due Nov 10th and did not get it. They had put it on the wrong truck. By the time she got the shipment weeks later, she had damaged cabinets to deal with. I feel lucky to be getting this situation resolved but Kraftmaid definitely needs to work on their customer service and the information that they put out.
  • Bestyears

I think the answer has to based on when you think you might get the vaccine. If you are 32, and in otherwise good health, I don't when you might get the vaccine. But if you are over 65 and/or have co-morbidity, I'm guessing you could reasonably assume you'll be fully vaccinated within the next three months. But I'd still want to know I could cancel plans without a lot of repercussions since it is all a bit like nailing jello to the wall right now.

• gsciencechick

My conference for end of May-beginning of June has been announced as virtual.

We have rescheduled tickets for Rage Against the Machine for Madison Square Garden for August 2021. That might end up being a possibility to actually happen. We decided to keep the tickets vs. get a refund because they are excellent seats. I got a credit for the airline tickets.

But the official announcement from the conference was a little deflating because that really hits that nothing will be happening. Oh well, next year the conference is in San Diego and I can maybe look forward to that. But I know our organization president pretty well, and she said that was really the only decision they could make for that time of year.

We have a lot of airline miles that we will want to use when it is safe to travel again.

• roarah

I had a very special person’s wedding in November. We planned and booked it in hopes the conditions might be favorable but canceled a few weeks before the date . The Bride and Groom were very understanding and the airlines were too. I feel we should be hopeful for the early summer but would only book if you can afford to back out last minute.

One thing I have learned since long before the pandemic is no plans are really safe so be flexible.

• maddielee

Sadly, I don’t see August being too different then today. There are too many people who still don’t wear masks and social distance. I heard a report yesterday that 50% of the health care workers In the US don’t want to receive the vaccination.

• arkansas girl

It will be more of the same...for years and years....that's what I predict.

• 2katz4me

Well I guess my thinking is on track. We talked to our friends this afternoon (parents of the bride) and they act like it’s a sure thing and they have been pretty Covid cautious so far.

One thing is for sure - if the pandemic as it is now goes on for years and years nothing will be the same.

• Tina Marie

I am hoping it will be better, at least somewhat by then. Maddielee, I'm surprised at that report. Here in our state it seems like the healthcare workers are happy to have the vaccine. At least I have not heard any against it, although I am sure there would be some. Most I have seen interviewed are thrilled to have it. My FB/IG feeds have been full of healthcare friends receiving their vaccines. I don't think it's going away, but I pray it will be better by then.

• hcbm

NYC is claiming they will vaccinate 1,000,000 people in the month of January. However, they have had the vaccine for 3 weeks and have only been able to vaccinate 80,000 people. My guess is that in August there will still be way too many people who have not been vaccinated.

• blfenton

We just had a cup of coffee with friends - in a park on camp chairs 8' apart - and our friend asked about when will it be safe. I said with the different strains cropping up maybe normal as we used to know it might be 3-5 years away. Nobody laughed.

• roarah

The vaccine is proven to protect those who get it from severe disease so even if only fifty percent get it and I get it I will feel safe traveling again and partaking in life. So as long as your group is eligible for vaccination and you get it I think you are safe. I should be vaccinated (teachers are 1b) in a few weeks in my state and my husband will likely be in the spring. I am hopeful that although life will still need masks the fear will be less.

• localeater

To put this in perspective, my 19 yo son and his gf both said to me spring semester abroad, fall semester is too dicey. If they thinks it’s too risky, what does that tell you?

• nosoccermom

If you can get vaccinated, you should be fine.

That’s assuming that the wedding party members do the same or will have caught covid19 by t

• dedtired

I think August will be the earliest that we MAY be able to travel safely. If I put money down on any tickets or accommodations, I’d be sure I could get a refund.

• nosoccermom

By then (and survived it).

sirry, something weird going on with houzz here.

• nekotish

We just had this conversation in our family and have decided that 2021 will not be a year to go anywhere, except camping in our self-contained 5th wheel. Daughter who is a CC RN feels that it's going to get worse before it gets better and it will take a lot longer to get everyone vaccinated than we are being promised. So, for this year, no traveling for us.

• Lukki Irish

It seems like the goal of normal keeps getting pushed back. Months ago, it was early 2021, six weeks ago, it was by the 2nd half of 2021 but last week, I started hearing 2022. Is that because the roll out of the vaccines is not going as planned or is it because the newer mutations being found? Or is there something else we don’t know about? No reason is offered. I hope you’re able to attend, it’s a bright spot to have something like that to look forward to.

• 2katz4me

Ya, my thought right now is that 2021 is still a complete crapshoot. Unclear when everyone will be able to get the vaccine, unclear how many will choose to do so, unclear how many mutant strains there will be before we get it under control and to what extent vaccines will be effective for the mutations. Yup, a complete crapshoot.

• texanjana

One of our nieces is getting married out of state in April, and I don’t see us going. The only trip that we have planned for 2021 is a cruise in October from NYC to Montreal that we booked in 2019. I am beginning to think that might not happen, though.

There are so many unknowns right now, and the vaccine rollout has been slow in my state. We are hoping we can get it by the summer but who knows?

• lascatx

Nosoccermom, a lot of information out there suggests the immunity to the virus is not long-lived. There are a number of reports of people getting the virus a second time, seems like it is often 3-6 months later. They don't have data for the vaccine yet because they didn't do long term studies before releasing it. That plus the mutations of the virus give us reasons to remain cautious until we can see more long term data.

Lukki Irish, here in Texas, the vaccine rollout is not going that well, but we all have reasons for pause with not knowing how long the protection lasts or how many mutations the virus might go through before we are able to tamp it down and whether the vaccine will remain effective against the newer strains. Last week, we were talking about the rate they are vaccinating here and the Texas decision not to put teachers in 1b but to put 65 yr old there instead, contrary to the CDC recommendation. Teachers are one side or the other of 250k in Texas. The 65 yr old plus certain conditions group is over 8 million. At the rate they are vaccinating, without an increase, teachers may start the 2021-2022 school year without the vaccine. Texas is trying to sell the idea that teachers will be protected by the 65+ group getting vaccinated. Those are not the folks out and about spreading the virus the most and not the people the teachers come into contact with -- or even the people most of their students have the most contact with. One more reason Texas teachers are not feeling valued and many are likely to leave the profession in June.

For all of us though, the longer this takes, the greater the chance that we could see mutations that make the current vaccine less effective.

• Lars

< I heard a report yesterday that 50% of the health care workers In the US don’t want to receive the vaccination. >

I went to my dermatologist yesterday for a Moh's procedure, and he told me that he has already had the vaccination, and he is under 40 (I think). One of his assistants said that she did not think the vaccination was for her, and so she was not going to get it. That I do not understand. I will try to get mine as soon as possible, however, as I am over 65. I would rather get it at my doctor's office than at a drug store, but I do not know which would really be better. My doctor's office frequently runs out of vaccines, and I don't know how they are going to be rationed.

I'm not making any plans until I get vaccinated, but then I think we will skip any plane travel in 2021, although we will welcome guests to visit us probably as early as August.

• dedtired

Lars, I had the same experience at my dentist’s office. My dentist was getting the vaccine last weekend but the hygienist said she would not get it. She feels it was rushed and not proven. Wow, if my job required me to have my face in the mouth of other people all day, I’d be getting that vaccine ASAP.

• maddielee

This article (12/17/2020) may behind a paywall, here is part of It:

”Almost half of Tampa General employees said in a recent survey that they want more data about the safety of the vaccine before they are injected. It’s a similar story among 13,000 employees in AdventHealth’s western Florida division and at Moffitt Cancer Center, where 41 percent of staffers said they would initially decline the vaccine.”

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/12/17/tampa-bay-health-workers-first-to-get-coronavirus-vaccine-but-many-say-theyll-pass/

I’ll try to find the link to the national survey.

• 2katz4me

Lars - I'm hoping the more educated, objective healthcare professionals will be able to educate and influence their less so colleagues so that all who are able to get the vaccine do so. I have this concern that no one seems to mention. If immunity only lasts for some number of months, or isn't effective for new strains, it seems we will have a difficult time knocking this back so we can return to "normal" if we don't get the vast majority of people to get the vaccine within a relatively short period of time. Right now, if you can believe the media, it seems like that will be difficult to accomplish. Personally I think the mainstream media prefers the drama and sensationalism of bad news so there may be more hope than it seems.

• bbstx

Lars, your pharmacist has been trained to give many different vaccinations, not just this one. Pharmacists have been giving vaccinations in most states since at least the early 2000s. It is as safe as getting the vaccine at your physician’s office. It is usually quicker and often cheaper. For instance, I got my Shingrix immunization at the doctor’s office as part of my annual check up. I paid $185. DH got his at the pharmacy for $73. The Shingrix immunization is the first vaccine I’ve gotten at a doctor’s office in at least 20 years. All of the others have been at the pharmacy.

• 2katz4me

Well I made a reservation for accommodations - private cabin I can cancel 45 days in advance for a small fee. We would drive, wedding and reception are outdoors, I'd wear a mask as needed. I wouldn't go unless we've had the vaccine. All very tentative depending on how things unfold between now and June when I'd need to cancel.

• Lukki Irish

Lascatx, it‘s like the weather, wait a few minutes and it will change. It’s not going well in any of the states for similar reasons, just too many unknowns. In our state, healthworkers, directly in contact w/covid patients or not are going first. I fall into that category as a vendor who is required to be in clinics but apparently, a lot of the clinics have been left out of the loop. No one knows what the plan is. 15,000 vaccinated so far which is a fraction of what was expected.. I also heard something about how new mutations may not be as effective because of the way the spike protein is shaped? I’m still trying to find information on that and have posted a link to one article I found helpful.

For the layman who’s trying to figure out who to believe it’s scary for sure.

As a side note, I’ve been thinking a lot about the question of when we will see normal again, and I’ve concluded that our lifes are all changed forever. Moving forward Covid will force us all to find a new normal to adapt to. We’re so far into the hole that’s been dug that it’s hard to visualize what that is going to look like but we should all need have something to look forward to whether it’s a vacation, a wedding or another kind of event.

Just something to help keep spirits up.

https://qz.com/1949085/will-covid-19-vaccines-work-against-the-new-mutated-strain/

• mtnrdredux_gw

our lifes are all changed forever.

Just an opinion, but personally I don't think so at all. People revert back to what they are used to.

I base this in part on my experience after 9/11. I thought people would not choose to live in big cities, work or live in skyscrapers, fly, and that terrorism would become much more common. Instead I saw NYC, London, LA, bounce back 110%, and flying reach an all time high. The things that changed were changes on the margin. Not real changes in our lives, IMHO. The existence of TSA did not change my life.

I predict the same with COVID. I was discussing this with one of my DD the other day and she said "you know what I predict? no more trying on makeup at the makeup counter. Which was always kinda gross anyway. That's about it."

• nini804

I swear I heard Fauci himself very recently say that by summer, everyone who wants a vaccination will be able to get one, and that things will start looking more normal. 🤷‍♀️

I can assure you, once my family is vaccinated and assuming it is allowed (which it currently is even now when things are terrible) we are absolutely going to travel. Of course, if masking is mandated or even just advised we will wear masks...but we will have our happy butts on a plane ASAP! Dd is graduating HS this Spring and we want a family trip to celebrate this summer. Probably won’t do Europe, but might find a special resort in the Caribbean or Central America to do some adventure travel. Dd is even planning to do a field semester this fall in Hawaii. It’s all being planned now, so I am assuming it’s a go. I’m going to be interested if they require proof of vaccination. I bet (and hope) they do.

I find it telling in the examples above regarding medical professionals...the professionals with the highest levels of education (dentists, MDs) ARE getting the vax. No offense to any hygienists but I always trust the opinions of the guys and gals in the white coats...they went to years and years of school for that. There are a lot of people who work in hospitals doing various jobs at various levels of education. Just bc a cafeteria worker isn’t getting the vax doesn’t make me think it’s unsafe.

• lizzie_grow

I like to be optimistic, but if I watch/read much news, I feel discouraged. I like to follow Fauci & being a retired RN, I think anyone in health care who is unwilling to get the vaccine, should be let go. When I was working in physician's offices, we were required to have flu shots by our physician boss. I saw on the news last night a little blip showing a health care worker who was going to not get the vaccine because she felt it was too rushed. She was encouraged to do her Research, did, and it showed her getting her vaccine! All my DH & I can continue to do is take care of ourselves, get the vaccine when available (we're 76), & make intelligent decisions from there. My goal is to have a bubble including our DD & her family who live in the same city as us. Our DS & GDs live across the country & not seeing them will become unacceptable, so we'll have to figure that out as best we can. A niece has cancelled a summer wedding already & we watched a perfectly lovely wedding virtually last week. Was it a little strange? Of course, but they are married & made it work. Bride's sister cancelled her own wedding because she wants the full experience. I think we all have a time of bending & adjusting ahead of us for a good long while. Wish it weren't so, but I think it is.

• terezosa / terriks

I was talking to a friend today, and his daughter who works for a hospital system has already received her first dose, despite the fact that she is currently working from home, and her job never requires her to have patient contact. I'd rather see a grocery store worker get the vaccine before someone like that, but really the important thing is to get as much of the population vaccinated as soon as possible.

• just_terrilynn

I’m hoping things will be looking up by this summer. We are really really really hoping to travel ( at least within the U.S) by early fall. If not, I might go mad. That pesty new strand might be a concern though,

• Lukki Irish

To some degree sure and maybe it’s just perspective but between all the death, Covid’s threat long term to it’s survivors, buisness closures, job losses and the issues surrounding the healthcare and educational sectors, it’s hard to imagine that a large part of the population will be able to pick up where we left off and continue on with their old normal. I think Covid has been life altering on too many fronts for that. ETA: I for one will always feel uncomfortable walking into a crowded store or large crowd.

After he was first elected, Biden warned, we are not at the beginning of the end, we are at the beginning and things will get worse before they get better. Realistcally, if it’s this bad now and people are pulling their hair out, what’s it going to look like in 6 months and how many new mutations later? I think that can change one’s normal too.

I apologize if I sound like a debbie downer, I am obviously watching too much news, A new normal doesn’t have to be a worse new normal, my daughters company closed their office and is asking everyone to work permanently from home, she’s elated, so for her personally, that’s a good new normal. A lot of people are learning to appreciate home and family more or are creating new traditions. That’s the foundation of a good new normal too so it’s not all bad....right?

.

• Lukki Irish

I was talking to a client yesterday about her cousin who is a Dialysis technician and wants to wait for the Astra Zenica vaccine because it’s ”old school“ and “won’t have the covid in it like the new vaccinations do”. I was so surprised to hear that because none of the vaccines have covid in them, these two first ones are just based on newer technology.

• nannygoat18

Just heard on the news that 14% of Americans have had COVID and vaccination efforts are certainly stymied here in California. We are a long way from achieving herd immunity, particularly if the vaccine does not protect against the ever-changing variants.

• jill302

We are hoping by October things will be more normal. My daughter is planning on getting married then, that said it will be a wedding at our home with only about 25 in attendance. October is the earliest we were comfortable in setting a date. My daughter and her fiancé are planning on a large party to celebrate the wedding sometime in 2022, they were not comfortable choosing a 2021 date for the larger celebration.

• arcy_gw

Lets follow the SCIENCE. The vaccine is here. Age is only one factor in receiving it--job factors heavily. Immunity from this vaccine and having recovered from COVID is unknown as this is all to soon. The other saving grace on the horizon is a treatment. The Washington crowd getting ill before the election all received the new treatment that is in clinical trials right now. It's out of the Lab my youngest works for. The problem is TIME. It is still in clinical trials--so far they are getting fabulous results but safety says finish the trials. Once the treatment is in place and the vaccine is like seasonal flu people will be treated...things will go back to full normal. WHEN will this all be firmly in place is anyone's guess. We are living in the middle of a time of learning about something NEW. I would not personally put huge amounts of money down on travel that cannot be recovered until the treatment is available and I have not heard the timeline on the trials. YOU may well be safe but that does not mean venues are open, travel is as it was. I would like to know who this 50% of "medical workers" are. People you cannot read a stat like that and not ask to see THE SPECIFICS of the survey! If they are polling uneducated, minimum wage earners who work as nursing assistants, personal care assistance, home health aids then yes I believe it. Many of them truly believe in the paranoia of chips being put in these vaccines. It is also true this is very fast for a vaccine to be developed. It can take DECADES for the medical ramifications of drugs on the human body to appear. It is for sure a gamble of a certain degree. How much of a gamble, well what options at this point do we have but to trust in 2021 vaccine development is to a point we are safe when they tell us we are.

• salonva

I have to think that by August 2021 things will be a lot more normal. I have to think that because I really am having a very difficult time with this. I know it could be a LOT worse, and I don't mean to be all princessy here but this is really wearing on all of us.

On an optimistic note,somewhat, our County Health Dept had a zoom presentation yesterday. They did say that they have been vaccinating now for the past 3 weeks and that is still 1A health care workers, moving onto the next group which is other essential workers (!B) and THEN will be group `!C which is 65 and over.

I am group !C. They do have a website where you fill out a survey and then they contact you for scheduling. The survey is not yet available for my group but will change daily. They did say that they have an updated scheduler so that there is not much in the way of cancellations and no shows. They claimed that as they get more doses, they will be increasing the distribution. It sounded to me that most eligible people are taking it.

They did say that they expect by March (I guess they mean end of March) that 80% of those who want the vaccine will have been vaccinated.

Here's hoping.