robotropolis

Buying myself a ring

robo (z6a)

So I am working on breaking my

nail biting habit. It is terrible (severe) but I’m two weeks bite free! As a reward if I make it to three months I’m buying myself a ring.

I want one of the rings from this local jeweller

https://dorotheerosen.ca/

my friend just got one of her “one footer” rings with a huge round cut peach topaz and I have never lusted after a piece of jewelry so much.

I have some questions because I’ve never bought fine jewelry before. I will ask the jeweller as well but of course she’s a motivated seller and you’re more like the big sisters.

1. do you think I’d regret going for sterling silver over white gold? I could afford either.

2. do you have any comments on durability of cut? I’d like the ring to be a daily wear (basically a wedding ring) so I know I need to pick a hard stone. I’m drawn to round for sure and smoother cuts, even cabochon, but do they scratch more easily?

3. I’d like a green or aquamarine stone. The goldsmith has a wide selection. I know emerald won’t be durable enough. Your recommendations? I’ll take her recommendation as well. Thinking green sapphire.

• mtnrdredux_gw

I like the all yellow gold, 3 ring version you posted. It's kind of classic with a twist. Reminds me of my own wedding ring, which is a gold rolling ring with one band being pave diamond.

robo (z6a) thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • localeater

Very pretty rings, Robo. I looked at the website and am kind of in love with the script ring.

Have you considered contacting the designer about getting a custom ring? I think you would find working directly with the craftsperson to make something truly original highly satisfying and this could also be a way to get the motivation for your goal. You could engage in the dialogue now, but you cant have the ring until you achieve your goal. Plus, you will probably pay something up front in the process and then you have even MORE motivation because you have dollars spent.

My wedding ring is custom. It's very unique and after almost 30 years I still get compliments at least once a month(well when I left the house - LOL). It is very special to me. In fact my sister and my two sister-in-laws also have custom rings because they followed my lead. Each of our rings our incredibly different and uniquely symbolic to our relationship. Mine is based on the analogy of love as an acorn and growing into a marriage with the strength of an oak to withstand the blows of day to day life. That analogy has served us well.

Tried doing this room myself and it is not working Help!

I can see them fairly well, however my PC does not give a true value for color. Yes, I do not want you to paint gumwood. Is that a mirror over the credenza? If so, it does not reflect anything worth looking at. Rethink the placement of the mirror. Replace the mantle with a deeper one which can be better used. In fact you can try switching places of the clock & the mirror. Why is the little upholstered bench in front of the credenza? Are you showing us the placement for the yet to purchased 2nd chair? Or the original oak gorgeous floors. Why do some people find oak offensive? It is a beautiful wood & is fitting with the age of your house (as is the gumwood). For that matter, why buy an old historic house if you do not appreciate the history it presents?

Am I about to get myself into a reno nightmare?

This age of home has concerns with both asbestos and lead paint. Asbestos filled products were produced as late as 1982 (some products were allowed to be sold into the late 80's so don't think the '82 date is the limit) and lead paint was officially banned in the USA in 1978. Think worst case scenario: can you afford a full remediation (both lead and asbestos) IF THINGS GO WRONG? Remember, asbestos and lead are fine so long as they are "left alone". Make sure you have a healthy contingency plan for renovations (ie. fat bank account or MASSIVE credit limit). I would say a year before you "want" to start the renos, have some paint chips, flooring tiles, ceiling tiles, pop-corn ceiling parts tested. If they are contaminated with asbestos and/or lead, then plan to include the heft cost of remediation. If you truly want "cosmetic" = paint and floating floor over old subfloor (no tearing down, no ripping up, no "swinging a sledge hammer") then you should be able to do the upgrades without worrying. As soon as you want to "take something down" (like a ceiling or wiring) you MUST have it tested for asbestos. And asbestos was EVERYWHERE in 1950. In drywall, in attics, between wood studs as flame retardants, wrapped around old wiring, stuffed underneath flooring as acoustic barriers, etc. It is possible that the "wiring" upgrade will have to be inspected for asbestos if you have to remove drywall, etc. Remediation for a single room of this stuff can be $3,000 - $5,000. No joke. If you can't afford the remediation, you may have to "live" with the 50's/80's conditions until you can save enough to have it done healthily.

Need advice on buying shower curtain rings

Another thought if you just did a reno with new tile in the shower/bath. Use two curtains or shower curtains, mounted ceiling height, that stay open at each end. Keep the liner pulled back out of sight when not in use. Allows you to show off your new tile.

Need your help for 4 parsons chairs I'm redoing myself.

You can buy upholstery fabric lots of places. There are independent sellers that you would need to find by googling "fabric store near me." For chain stores that are national, try stores like Jo Anne Fabric or Calico Corner.
  • robo (z6a)

@usedtobergps I like your style!!! haha.

I am a white metal person so I will be doing white gold or white/yellow.

I will work right with the goldsmith :) I know I want an unusual stone (green, not the most popular) and particular about setting (round) and would love to hear her ideas. Maybe I will contact her sooner rather than later :)

• mtnrdredux_gw

My wedding ring was custom too. I always liked Cartier rolling rings, which is traditionally 3 bands. I worked very near their 5th Ave. store, and asked them to make me a version where the third band was diamond pave. To me, the symbolism was that individually we were gold bands, and together we were diamonds. However, they do not make anything custom. (exceptions for royalty)

I found a jeweler to make it for me, which surprised me as I thought the rolling ring was magic! There must be like a how-to kit. Anyway, almost a year later I see a full page Cartier ad in the NY Times, with my ring. They even have something on their website about the history of the ring, showing that version came out in 1999 ... the year we were married. I want royalties!

robo (z6a) thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • robo (z6a)

Mtn what a great story! Those rings are beautiful!! What an interesting design.

I now have an appointment with the goldsmith on Monday morning haha.

• maire_cate

That's great - have fun and I hope you find just the right stone for you!

• mtnrdredux_gw

That does sound like fun!

• OutsidePlaying

Very pretty rings, robo. I love the second one shown with the 3 bands. I think it looks more substantial and less subject to eventual wear (or bending of metal). I think that style would also lend itself to a larger stone if you decide to go that route. The smaller stone is pretty but something larger would be gorgeous, no matter what color stone you choose. I too prefer a white gold or platinum with blue stones, but you have to decide. I'm a huge fan of wider bands, mainly because my fingers are long and slender and a small narrow ring is just lost on my hand. Try several and see what makes your heart sing.

I also vote for gold or platinum, depending on which you prefer.

• OutsidePlaying

Wow, Mtn, I read your post after I posted! I'd be demanding a cut! You have a great eye for design and you must have caught someone's ear while shopping for your ring.

• Arapaho-Rd

Love a new ring, Robo 💍 can't wait to see what Monday brings!

• texanjana

Wow-I love the rings on her website. Good luck on Monday.

• robo (z6a)

Met with the goldsmith this morning. She is so nice! I love her designs. The only one that looked even slightly good on my -- ahem -- less than lanky fingers was the three loop design I posted in gold up above. It is a mouthwatering ring.

I ended up choosing that style with a dark blue-green sapphire. I surprised myself by much preferring the yellow gold. She said that the ring is going to be so nice that actually even though she's doing it custom for me, if I don't like it, she will just keep it and sell it. Not a bad deal!

So it will be this ring

with a stone much like this (although I didn't take a photo of the actual stone). It's very slightly smaller than the diamond pictured above.

• mtnrdredux_gw

That's so pretty! I've never seen a sapphire that color! I'm glad you got yellow gold; I think for caucasian skin its warmth looks better than silver.

robo (z6a) thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • robo (z6a)

It's a soft yellow and the white gold was VERY cold and grey.

• rubyclaire

Love your choice of yellow gold and blue stone - can't wait to see the finished ring!

robo (z6a) thanked rubyclaire
  • robo (z6a)

May be misleading photo - the stone might be more green than blue - like a bluish spruce green

• robo (z6a)

Really should’ve taken a picture!

• Sueb20

Gorgeous! I have been mildly obsessed with green sapphires lately. They're so pretty. Now I want one. Can you get a two for one deal?? ;-)

• Arapaho-Rd

You'll be looking at that beautiful ring on your finger and will forget all about those nails :)

• maire_cate

Congrats Robo! How exciting, and I think the color you chose will look great in yellow gold. It's amazing all the different colors that are available in sapphires. How soon will you be able to pick it up?

• robo (z6a)

SueB - for the price maybe it SHOULD be a two for one!

mtn - I know nothing about nice jewelry but have recently learned sapphires come in all different colors including bright pink, yellow, purple and orange. They are really hard and great for daily wear jewelery.

http://pierresdecharme.com/en/sapphire.snc

I'm not really sure when I can pick it up - I did confirm the quote with the goldsmith today. I didn't ask about delivery time. Maybe 6 weeks?

• happy2b…gw

I love the ring. The combo of the gorgeous green blue sapphire and the soft tone gold is stunning. I can feel how excited you are.

robo (z6a) thanked happy2b…gw
  • Sueb20

I have an orange sapphire ring that I love.... got it from a local jewelry designer and it was a splurge but I wear it a lot.

• Tina Marie

Beautiful! Can't wait till you get it.

Did you know that years ago - you could have your colors "done". These were divided into the seasons of the year. They tell you what colors look best on you, etc. and it's the same with yellow and white gold. I've always preferred white gold/silver color and apparently that is what works best with my coloring. I do agree. I've never cared for yellow/orange tones and red is just a tad better haha. Makes sense that silver tone looks better with my coloring.

Congrats on the nails - and the gorgeous ring!

• robo (z6a)

The funny thing is I’m a summer which is a cool season...but that 18k yellow gold really spoke to me. it wasn’t too brassy. Plus I think the goldsmith would have switched out sapphires on me because she had strong opinions about the stone needing yellow gold.

my colouring is strong enough to do the deeper and warmer summer colours.

• OutsidePlaying

It is going to be beautiful, robo. I was particularly impressed by how warm the gold looked in that design. And the stone is a very unusual color. Can’t wait to see it.

robo (z6a) thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Tina Marie

Yes, that totally makes sense on how the stone looks with the yellow gold.

robo (z6a) thanked Tina Marie
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24

Robo, love that setting you chose.will be so beautiful with that stone.i have saved the pic as an idea for future dividing of 3 stone diamond ring.

• robo (z6a)

martinca, she also does some rings with multiple stones on her website :)

so....I may have been looking at starting a modest yellow gold jewelry collection. Look at these adorable sleepers - they were on clearance so I bought the last pair for my sister. Green is my power color and lilac is one of hers.

as a lazy mom I’m looking into stuff I can pretty much set and forget (wear 24/7) so sleepers, solid gold chains and so forth. Plus all the videoconferencing with headsets rules out studs and other conventionally backed earrings (I‘m a wuss that way).

I must say these sapphire and recycled gold earrings caught my eye but I don’t know if I’d wear them often these days and it’s a fairly big chunk of change for me

• Sueb20

I’ve never heard the term sleepers before. Is that basically any type of earring you could wear 24/7? I will say in Pre Pandemic Times, I wore different earrings almost every day. And a necklace. And usually bracelets too. Nowadays, I wear the same pair of earrings (sleepers, I guess?) for weeks at a time. DH gave me a delicate ruby pendant necklace for Christmas...I put it on that day and just took it off for the first time yesterday. (Can a necklace be a sleeper, too?) I miss my vast jewelry collection but I just can’t be bothered to decide which earrings work with my daily ensemble of sweatpants and sweatshirt.

I love those green sapphire earrings!

• robo (z6a)

If you had a teenagerhood similar to mine you probably wore sleepers then: hollow hoop earrings where a thin prong fits through the earlobe and then into the back of the hoop.

huggies fit close to the lobe

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24

Please explain. “Plus all the videoconferencing with headsets rules out studs and other conventionally backed earrings (I‘m a wuss that way).“

As a VERY later bloomer, I never had my ears pierced till recently. I waited 6 months before replacing my tiny starter studs with larger studs. I sleep in them, but occasionally can feel mild discomfort . So studs are not the best “ sleepers? I got small gold hoops for Christmas and hope to wear them daily .

• robo (z6a)

Just if they have this common butterfly back it can push into my neck when the headset squishes my ears

but there is also this labret style back which is common in body jewelry and more comfortable for ear as well

• robo (z6a)
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Some progress pics from my goldsmith, she says the ring may be done in a few days!

I got my little teeny tiny 14k gold sleepers which are so unobtrusive they may as well be on an 11 year old girl. But I think they're a good "starter" for me until I see how much my son tugs on them. He's already had a try or two.

I also ordered an 18" chain but it was really too small ... collarbone length. So I'm still searching for a good longer everyday necklace.

I have a new obsession which is a Canadian used jewelry store called 100ways. They partner with those "we buy gold" places and resell the finer pieces before they're melted down. Feels very ethical and of course the prices can't be beat.

https://100ways.com/

I mean, how cute is this for an 18k ring under $500 CAD?

I'm now four weeks in to not biting my nails and it's going super well. I tried really hard to set myself up for success and have a "fiddling with my nails" kit set up in my danger zones (work and home). The glass nail file is very nice. (I have a closed office where I spend a lot of time alone, I'm not filing nails in people's faces).

• nutsaboutplants
    yesterday

The ring in progress looks beautiful. Can’t wait to see the end result. Congrats on the not-biting-nail thing!

robo (z6a) thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Ocotillo
    yesterday

When I was a child, my ears were pierced and I wore little peridot studs. One night while sleeping, one of them worked its way and became trapped inside my earlobe, and no amount of finagling by my mother could extract it. I had to go to the doctor and have it removed, and while I don't remember exactly how they got it out (there was no cutting involved, I do know that much), it was very traumatic. While it's unlikely to happen to anyone, it was a freak occurrence that prevented me from ever sleeping in earrings again. YMMV.

Your ring is looking gorgeous already, robo!

robo (z6a) thanked Ocotillo
  • l pinkmountain
    yesterday

I know white gold and silver were the "in" colors for rings, much harder to find a gold color, but that's what I wanted. Not speaking from a durability perspective, but from a color perspective, I have never regretted it. Gold looks better with my coloring, it has more warmth.

• robo (z6a)
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I have very cool colouring but maybe it’s softening as I age? Not sure! But really drawn to the warmer gold now. Plus soft yellow is within my orbit as a summer.

• robo (z6a)
    yesterday

Ocotillo, one word: YIKES!!!

• Tina Marie
    yesterday

I've never heard of sleepers either. But Oco - ouch!! I never sleep in jewelry. Actually, I don't wear earrings all the time. I guess it depends on my mood LOL. I'm not a necklace wearer either - at least not "fine jewelry" necklaces. I like "fashion jewelry" (I don't know how to term this stuff!!) that works with whatever outfit I have on. I used to love bracelets and have several really nice ones but I don't wear them as often now. I never wear more than one ring on each hand. I never, ever wear stud earrings, I do not like them. As you can see, I am very particular about my jewelry!!

robo (z6a) thanked Tina Marie
  • aktillery9
    yesterday

Looking so beautiful! Can't wait until you get it and share some photos with us!!

• gsciencechick
    yesterday

It is looking gorgeous so far, Robo!

robo (z6a) thanked gsciencechick
  • Sueb20
    19 hours ago

I’m taking a zoom embroidery class and last night I was fixated on the instructor’s blue (sapphire I assume) and gold ring. Made me think of you, Robo, and reinforced my belief that I need one. 😜

• robo (z6a)
    19 hours ago

Sueb I'm dangerous for your budget haha

• Sueb20
    17 hours ago

Actually you’ve inspired me — I have both of my parents’ original wedding bands. One is yellow gold, the other is white gold or maybe platinum. I’ve known for a while that I wanted to use both to have something made, but didn’t know what. I’ve just made an appt with a local jeweler to talk about having a ring made. My thought is to use both rings plus a sapphire (my birthstone). Here is one of the rings from the designer’s web site with a purple sapphire, and I think I’d like a similar style. Probably not as wide since I have small stubby fingers.

Same guy make my orange sapphire ring that I love, so I’d be happy to have something else made by him!

• teeda
    17 hours ago

The ring is looking beautiful Robo! And I just spent half an hour on the 100ways website you linked. They ship to the US (oh, no. . . )!

• robo (z6a)
    16 hours ago

100ways is dangerous — although I wish they’d pull the sold stuff down but you can filter for available.

• robo (z6a)
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

sueb that ring is GORGEOUS!!!! looks so nice with two different metals.

Yes my mother was under the same misapprehension that I was that I have long delicate fingers – – I actually do have quite short stubby fingers. I can do about an octave and a note on the piano and that’s only because I’m flexible. It was really brought home to me when I tried on some of the larger range that this ring designer has available – – looked like 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag.

one side of my family is generally short and plump with cute little noses and wide hands and feet. The other side is tall and lean, narrow hands and feet with “generous” noses. My sister got the height and lean build with a cute nose. Guess what I got!

edit to add - the goldsmith offers complimentary ring sizer sets so I emailed today to ask if I could pick a set up, and she dropped off a lovely little package to me with the sizers and some brochures.

• maire_cate
    15 hours ago

Sueb - that would be such a lovely way to incorporate your parents' rings into something special. I have the gold bands from my folks and white gold from DH's mom and several gold settings from pieces that I had re-set. Since gold is high at the moment I should check with my jeweler about trading in the old settings and creating something with the old bands. I even have loose accent diamonds that I could use.

You're lucky to have sapphire as a birthstone. Mine is garnet which isn't too exciting if you stick with the traditional rhodolite garnet. But I discovered Tsavorite garnets which are stunning. I think I mentioned them upthread but they're a beautiful emerald green. Tiffany introduced them in the 1970's and DH gave me a beautiful pendant for my 70th.

My fingers are also short, stubby, wrinkly and my hands are vein-y with broad nails. And my Mother was a hand model when she was young with long fingers and beautiful nails. DH jokes that I should just wear rings with large stones and then no one would notice my fingers.

Robo - Congrats on your success in refraining from nail biting. It isn't easy but you've managed to go a month which is fantastic. Thanks for linking the 100 ways and for pointing out that you can filter out the sold items. Somehow I missed that.

• Sueb20
    11 hours ago

Maire, my DD’s birthstone is garnet too and she doesn‘t like it either. Maybe she would like the tsavorite garnet, though.