scaryhouse

Living Room - input please!

Phillips Head

I have an awkward living room and would love some input - here are the details: North-east exposure so not overly bright, corner fireplace (so you know that is going to be a pain) and it is SMALL (10’x11.5’ - open to the hall and dining room).

I have painted the adjacent dining room (see below) ‘Naval’ by Sherwin Williams and love it! (Big improvement over the previous light grey even though it is a darker space). At the time I was talked out of painting all the walls in the living room but I definitely intend to paint all of it Naval now.

I have done up two options below with round rugs (the only shape that fits) and the fun things that could go along - thoughts?!?! I really want to finalize the rug and then can play with the other stuff!

• Juli

I think you need smaller scale furniture. I love the 'Naval' wall color too, but the too dark of blue oversized recliner is making the space feel cramped. Maybe a smaller scale sofa and two smaller scale chairs (they don't have to be identical) Maybe a sofa in white?

• L.D. Johnson

Of the blue options, I like the top one best. But still prefer the first patterned one - it relates to your greenery, and the red/orange tones in your floor and brick fireplace.

It might be helpful if you can superimpose the rug shots into the top photo of your room from the opposite side, as if looking over the rug into the dining area. Looks like you have a jute rug under the dining table, so seeing the relationship between the two might help.

Living Room Input needed!

I'm assuming that furniture is previous owner (you haven't moved in yet) How long is that living room? It looks like you could float some furniture and turn it into two spaces. Are those all windows at the end, or is there a sliding or french door to the outside? Above the windows, is that a faux shutter look or is there actual window glass behind? I would consider graphic wallpaper or textural paint element on the fireplace wall that compliments the fireplace surround. I really like the contrasting beam treatment suggested. Just the contrast will warm up that space considerably. You may want to use two large area rugs in darker tones that work with your furniture...if your furniture is in beige neutrals, you might even want to go with color in the area rugs, that relates to what else you are doing in the surrounding rooms. Once you've got your rugs, you can start to look at window treatments, which should probably be light an airy, but could be slightly darker than the walls.

I need input/ideas for vaulted & narrow living/dining room!

The only major change needed is to continue that flooring into the rest of the space so you'll feel it is all useable. There are a lot of architectural oddities, but you'll find lots of solutions for them here at Houzz. I think the floor is the first issue I'd tackle. Then I'd work on furnishings, window treatments and dealing with your protrusions, niches, etc.

Love u guys so want more input..what is perfect taupe for living room, dining room

I recently used BM's Edgecomb grey with berber white (50/50 blend) because the Berber White on its own came out too goldy beige for my taste and the painters had already 'cut-in' the corners and I didn't want to have it all redone, hence the combination so we could keep moving forward). Edgecomb Grey is beautiful and soft. BUT lighting, neighboring colors, etc. can influence it and if possible, I like sampling and getting it up on a wall-looking at it at different times of the day.

Input on living room rug

I would go neutral like this Antique Khorassan Rug or if you want more modernist in feel then perhaps a vintage piece like this Scandinavian Rug or even a vintage rya rug
  • territheresa

Love the blue and white color scheme! How would a 5 x 8 rug look on the diagonal in line with the fireplace?

Flo Mangan

Surely, smaller scale furniture would be great in the living area but I assumed you wanted to work with what you have. You can lean a mirror and layer in a couple more items each in lesser size to create pretty look on mantel. Here are some ideas. I would limit number of pieces on your mantel to 3. A mirror or art (largest piece) then a smaller piece overlaying (layered) to right and possibly a small vase with greenery.

• Phillips Head

Definitely looking to work with the furniture I have...smaller scale furniture would be better but it’s not in the plan!
    I will try and impose the green rug and the first blue option into the photo showing both spaces tomorrow. Those are my preferred options as well. LD - you are right, that’s a jute rug under the dining table.
    Terri Theresa - I’ve have truly tried all variations of rectangular rugs and they either overlap the hearth, have a corner jutting out into the hallway, or are too small to reach the furniture...circular it is!

Flo - I like the idea of leaning some items on the mantle - I’ll give it a go and post.

Flo Mangan

I understand about round rug. I like your first rug in last group. Indulge me. What if we layered two rugs? I will see if I can depict that. Bbl.

• Phillips Head

Still trying to figure out options - I call around today and found a place that will cut and bind rugs for reasonable price. That means there is potential I could use a rectangular rug and cut the angle off for the fireplace. This would leave a square edge along the hallway side. I tried it with a rug I have in another room just for shape - it was too long so I folded the edge as well as the angle area to get an idea (that’s why it looks extra wonky). So circular rug or a rectangular rug with the corner cut and bound???

• Phillips Head

Lol - I did water my plant after I took this picture!!

Flo Mangan

Yes, I think rectangle will work that way and you can make it longer so your chair sits completely on the rig. I think you have room fir that. Even could pull sofa down a little bit too. I actually like that rug in your room!

Flo Mangan

You could stack some birch logs in your fireplace too.

Flo Mangan

Sorry, I keep seeing options. Try the bar cart beside end of sofa and out other plant in another location. It’s good to have a small end table by your recliner. Perhaps a small drink table? These come in all types styles and finishes.

• annoulaxeni

I'd like to see the sofa rotated a quarter turn so that its back is to the dining room. The upholstered chair would then go in the corner opposite the fireplace. To me this would be a nicer and cozier seating area whereas right now it looks as if furniture was pushed to the walls to make an open area for a party -- a bit too linear together with the dining room.

• shirlpp

The round rug looks a lot better. It gives the room more oomph!

• RedRyder

The blue and white rug you used to try your idea is perfect for that space. Try moving the sofa as Flo suggested and you may have the option to place a standard rug in there, which increases your options exponentially. I also like a more colorful patterned rug whatever shape you end up with. It brightens up the entire space.

• L.D. Johnson

That's an interesting idea too - but keep in mind you will have no option to rotate the rug for wear if it has a custom angle cut to fit.

• L.D. Johnson

Have you looked at any oval rugs? Wonder what that would do.....

• dsimber

I like that navy area rug, too! With that color on the floor, the walls look great as they are, imo! Can you show us what the navy rug will look like if all the walls are navy, too?

• felizlady

The navy chair will disappear against a navy wall. An 8’x10’ or 9’x11’rectangular rug will fit the area and will reach under the front the sofa and chair. I would look at Oriental-style rugs which will have more color and can offer you several possible accent colors.

• Marta

Hi! If you are not planning to paint the remaining walls navy, I would repaint the left side of the window with the credenza - I think it’ll look better painted light like the rest of the walls. Regarding a rug, I like the navy one you tried.

• Phillips Head

I got as far as marking out the location for the picture rail today - had hoped to paint but then life happened! I moved the bar cart beside the sofa (will leave it there for a bit and see if I can make it work). I had always intended a side table beside blue chair - Flo do you know where that one you posted is from? I like it. I have had my eyes on this one but it is too high - 30”

Flo Mangan

Here it is. From Crate and Barrel. On sale around $125.

• Phillips Head

I ended up ordering the green / multi-coloured rug to test both the circular shape and colours. I’ve painted the one small wall behind the blue chair but needed more paint to do the wall behind the sofa - I hope to paint that in next day or two! I switched around the bar cart to beside the sofa. The picture on mantel will likely go over blue chair and I will need to do something else over mantle. I added matting to 2 of the 3 photos of the sofa to see what it will look like once I paint the wall dark blue. I should probably wait until I paint before posting pictures but would love to hear your thoughts on the rug!!

• Phillips Head

And Flo - thanks for the source on the table - it is $250 in Canada! Might have to go for it but painful to see the price difference!

• mamamocha

Paint fireplace bricks white.

• Amanda Smith

The round rug looks odd.... I definitely prefer a rectangle. I also think it’s a mistake to paint all your walls navy. It’s just too much of a good thing and will close up the space. I would limit the navy to the fireplace where it looks just right.

• L.D. Johnson

I think the design of the rug is great. It might be the angle of the latest photos, but it seems smaller in real life than your original picture. (That could also be because you were cutting a pasting without worrying too much about scale initally). See how more of the blue chair fits on rug in the "hypothetical" photo? If you take the bar cart away, could you move the couch to the right a bit and the move the rug with it, so that more goes under the chair? As it is, with the front feet of the chair barely on it, the rug looks too small, I think.

• Phillips Head

There’s no rug pad yet so fairly easy to slide things around - here’s a photo with everything shifted over a little bit and the blue chair on a bit more of the rug. I could probably adjust a bit more but not a ton

• dsimber

Hello. Perhaps you can try pulling the chair forward a bit more. Depends, of course, on the width you need for traffic flow. I have an area rug that is somewhat smaller than I wanted. Posters kept telling me it was too small, but I had constrains similar to yours. At some point, at least one designer encouraged me to pull furniture closer so the rug would be under a third of the sofa. I got close to a third, and it looks and feels much better.

I really find the colors in the area rug to be eye-pleasing with your floors, fireplace and furniture. I hope you can make it work. 🤞

With the substantial wood trim and areas above picture rail being white, I think your plan for continuing with the navy on the other walls will be awesome. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.

• L.D. Johnson

That helped; a bit more might be worth trying. And nudging the chair forward an inch would help, too, if it doesn't make your walking space too claustrophobic.

As I look at this, one thing that is nagging me now is that the medallion center of the rug emphasizes the fact that the rug itself isn't centered in the room. (Which it can't be, of course).

I wonder if rotating the rug slightly so that the medallion isn't lined up with either wall would help that visual effect? Basically, take the part at 12:00 as you look at the rug (near the floor vent), and rotate it to 11:00- about where the sword is? Just had to bring up the sword, of course - I'm sure there's a story there!

• L.D. Johnson

Or even "point" the top of the rug medallion at the fireplace?

• shirlpp

Good for you for asking for opinions and doing what you feel is best. The rug does not look odd and the round(as I said before), is your best bet in such a small space.

Flo Mangan

Sorry, I am not getting notifications. But saw this this morning. Move rug so far edge is at edge of walkway. Like this. Being more open on other end is fine. Turn bar cart lengthwise to arm of sofa. We can “style” the items on bar cart with perhaps a tall white orchid and a small stack of books with coaster for drink. The wall color is stunning and works beautifully. I will post some bar cart ideas next.

Flo Mangan

Here is bar cart. A tall orchid gives the height, and other elements support your look. 😊

• dsimber

I sure hope you can move out the area rug as Flo has shown. Then there is no need to pull the chair forward as I’d suggested. The chair looks gorgeous on the rug!

Have you been able to finish painting, yet? I had a navy dining room with white trim and blinds, then wood floors similar in color to yours. Loved it! I can’t wait to see your end results!

• Phillips Head

Thanks for the input! I have painted the wall behind the sofa and am happy - it feels right to me! I was able to shift rug over to the walkway edge and that is much better. L.D - I rotated it so that the medallion didn’t look like it was trying to line up with sofa (and failing) - nice observation - and that also made a big difference. I wasn’t definitely on the fence about the a round, colourful rug but having it in the space for a few days I really like it. So - can you guys help with finishing this space up?!?!?!
    Questions - I was going to order a floor lamp for the corner by the sofa - with large white shade. Yes / no? The bar cart feels cramped beside the sofa next to doorway - put it in the corner or in another room altogether? I plan on putting the three picture frames, with white matting, back over the sofa. Yes / no? I’ll get a small side table beside blue chair and perhaps one for side of sofa if bar cart goes. Thanks!

• Phillips Head

Sofa wall with bar cart in corner - not sure I like it here. Floor lamp instead?

• Phillips Head

Floor lamp possibility

• Sharon

Great job painting! Room looks beautiful.

Flo Mangan

Love that floor lamp but not in corner. To nice to hide behind sofa arm. Like the repositioned rug. Room is looking great. Keep going. You have the bones right now it’s accessories.

• Kim Reiner

I have an awkward corner fireplace as well and I went with the largest rawhide rug I could find( or you could do faux if the real thing is offensive) I love the look! I like where you are going so far, very interesting.

• everdebz

Does the help bring rug style, colors come together with blue woo hoo? idk but will post:

:)

Vintage Lavoie 'Georges de Feure' Canvas Art, 32x24 · More Info

• everdebz

just adding art for you to see orange idea:

Original Vintage Paris Lilly Flower Framed Print · More Info

• everdebz

Claude Oscar Monet Landscape at Vetheuil Framed Premium Canvas Print, 21"x28" · More Info

• L.D. Johnson

Looking good- tweaking the rug really helped. I agree the bar cart looks cramped in the corner. Your original photos had bottles on it.....if you'd like to be able to use it for its intended purpose, it won't be readily accessible there. Love the lamp, too! Are you still planning to put the art on the mantle behind the blue chair? If so, something round over the mantle would be nice.

• Phillips Head

Okay - bar cart will go to another room! There’s space in the white floating cupboards if we want to keep stuff in this room. What are thoughts about the current picture over the mantle - work with that or hang it over blue chair and something new over mantle??
    (Everdebz - I like the orange art idea to pull that colour out. I have a hallway nook you see from this room so I’ll look for something that fits! It needs something bold and bright.)

• Phillips Head

I’m also thinking of this for a side table for beside the sofa and an orchid as Flo suggested before

• L.D. Johnson

Nice table! I think the wide white framed print looks nice where it is, but it would provide great contrast on the wall behind the navy chair, to break up navy on navy. And something round over the mantle would echo the shape of the rug and provide contrast to all the right angles on that wall. But maybe a round mirror on the wall behind the chair would have the same effect, if you prefer to leave the art where it is.

• RedRyder

In your first mock up picture with the round rug, you have three white framed pictures, a wicker basket with green leaves and the floor lamp. That entire arrangement looks good to me. I’m not a pro but that mock up looks interesting and balanced.

• everdebz

Blue in this sky, and watery color - is it in rug?

Small Sugar Mold-6 Hole-Mold Only Wood Candle Holder, Primitive White · More Info

• everdebz

What's happening?