Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

For those who have embraced their gray . . .

Tina Marie
3 years ago

How has it affected the colors you wear? I was thinking about this after reading Robo's ring thread.

Silver/white gold looks best with my coloring. Good thing I've always preferred that! Years ago I had my "colors done" and bought the book. I'm a "winter" and my colors range from pastels to bright colors. The muddy, in-between shades are not my best bet.

I've noticed since letting my hair go gray, the brighter colors are best on me. Although lavender and certain shades of pale pink are still flattering. I can sure hear my mom's words "put some lipstick on". LOL! My lips don't have alot of color and I do look better when I add some. Thank goodness for lip stain so I can add a bit of color without looking "made up".

I actually love my gray hair. I have a lot of dark strands mixed in there and lighter streaks right where I part my hair. Almost looks intentional lol. I get complements all the time on my hair - it's funny!! (Well when I actually see people.) I recently had someone complement me and ask me if I colored my hair.

One thing, although black is one of my "colors" (and true white), I do not wear black up against my face. Even before letting my color grow off, I felt it was too stark, almost aging.

OK silver sisters - what about you?

Comments (26)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I'd love to see a picture, Tina!

Tina Marie thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    3 years ago

Before I went gray, I had very dark brown hair and a pale complexion. Cooler colors always looked best on me then and they still do. Muddy colors never worked on me before. Any shirts in a lighter gray are a definite no-no and there are patterns now that no longer work with the gray hair. Last time I bought glasses, I made sure to get some with color. My current frames are a deep burgundy and that helps to add color to my face. I find it also helps to put some powder on my brows for some definition. Yes to lip stain. For the most part, going gray coincided with me becoming more cognizant of wearing colors that I truly liked any way. I will be said when the burgundies and plums and jewel tones go out of style, making it harder for me to find what I ilke.

Tina Marie thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

My gray transition occurred during the pandemic and since I don't go anywhere or do anything I haven't paid all that much attention to what I wear or how the colors look to know if change is warranted.

Tina Marie thanked 3katz4me
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

I wish I could offer some advise but I am a going grey drop out. Didn't make it past 2 1/2 months. I just didn't rock it like others do. I notice that people with olive complexion of any deepness or lightness rock it. Me, with fair complexion with pink undertones it was not flattering. I'm glad you made the transition! Kudos to you. And for tishtoshnm, if certain colors go out of style but they work well for you, it doesn't matter. Being in style in that sense is just what fashion marketing depts decide so everyone has to go out and buy more stuff. Do what's best for you.

Tina Marie thanked SEA SEA
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

After my recent closet overhaul, I started thinking a little more about the colors I'm wearing these days. Now that my hair is completely natural, it's a mix of brown, dark blonde, gray, and white. The white streak is right in front, and since my hair is currently cut in a pixie style, I wear a long, sideswept bang to "show off" the streak. I like the color(s) I've become, and mostly enjoy having hair that's the color of actual hair instead of that lousy DIY bleach-blonde job I'd been doing for years.

My clothes are pretty much corporate attire or hiking/exercise wear. Because my workplace tends to be quite conservative, I have a lot of somber colors in my wardrobe -- blacks, grays, browns, taupes, olive. I do have a brighter mustard-colored blazer that I always get compliments on, but I don't feel it's a great color on me. Lately I've become mindful of wearing my clothes instead of having clothes that wear ME, if that makes any sense. I do find that my best colors are still deep pinks and shades of blue and turquoise, which I also wore when I had all that mess o' blonde hair. I don't think yellow gold jewelry looks as good on me as silver or white gold, and recently I put on a mesh necklace in sort of a gunmetal gray color, and it really made that white streak shine!

It is interesting how our hair color does seem to impact the colors that we look best in. This is something I'm continuing to discover, and it's kinda fun.

Tina Marie thanked IdaClaire
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

Before going gray I had dark brown hair with red glints. Not too fair complexion that tanned easily (bad bad bad), and light eyes. I used to be able to wear just about any color, or so I thought.

I did not go gray during the pandemic. It happened gradually from about 40 on. My ability to wear certain colors went to hell. No browns of any hue, no pastels, keep most blues away from me! The only colors that didn't make me look washed out and sad were black and red. At some point in my early 60s my hair turned silver, or at least that's how it's perceived. I still pretty much only wear red and black and the right purple. My lifelong friend has the same hair color as me (she's Italian background) and has declared us Winters. I never had my colors done, but she's pretty much into it. I fought it because winter is my least favorite season, but I know it's not about the weather.

Tina Marie thanked Bunny
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

Even if you don't embrace your grey (I don't) your skin tone changes and your makeup and the colours that you wear should change along with it. That lipstick that you wore when you were 30 probably looks gaudy now. I had my makeup redone about 10 years ago and it did make a difference.

Tina Marie thanked blfenton
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I go very few places but even so I pay attention to my looks. It makes me feel good. Not doing so usually makes me feel like a slug. Oco, you get me! After retiring, I needed to buy more ”around the house” clothes. Pre pandemic, (and hopefully post!) I had a social life and of course dress for that. Call me vain, but I don’t buy clothing that is not a flattering color. I know you have to dress a certain way in the workplace, but you can add a shirt in a flattering color to your suits, or jewelry, a scarf, etc. Your new hair is fab and looks great on you.

Tomorrow, I get an allergy shot and will go through the bank drive-through. I may even put on earrings!!!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I also have been a very distinct "winter". My hair was a very very dark brown that many thought was black. It is still quite mixed, more predominantly gray, but it is starting to get more silver glints (especially shows in photos - wish it looked like that IRL!)

I have found that it is harder to wear browns - most browns were never a good color for me anyway, but some taupe browns, dark chocolate, and gray-browns/black-browns could look quite good - now even those are harder to carry off.

I agree about the complexion fading. I wouldn't color my hair back to it's original dark shade because I think it would look too harsh or artificial against my skin now.

Tina Marie thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Still have very little gray, but I bought some of those Overtone colors. I've used the Pink for Brown hair and it's been fun. You can tell in the light but it's not super bright. If I had more gray it would show more. It's semi-permanent and it is a little bit of a mess to use. I also bought Rose Gold for brown hair but I haven't used that yet.

Tina Marie thanked gsciencechick
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Yes, it has somewhat affected my clothing colors. While I am not totally gray yet, like Bunny’s beautiful silver, I find mine is slowly turning in streaks mixed within my light brown. Someone recently told me it looked like a pretty ash color. I had my colors done years ago and am supposedly a ’winter’. I do love deep pink, light pink, black, pure white, aqua, burgundy, and a few others. I find I don’t care for white tops as much anymore with my gray hair, nor pale gray.

Makeup, when I wear it anymore, has also changed some. I think anyone should refresh their makeup, including colors, and skin care routine every 5-10 years.

Tina Marie thanked OutsidePlaying
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

And I wear about as much black as Moira Rose, so, no, not really affected clothing, LOL.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I, too would love to see pictures. Just use a blur app if you don't want to share your face.

Mine is salt and pepper and I haven't as yet embraced it.

DH has been gray for many years yet he prefers me to not go gray.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Eld and Bumble - I explained recently why I don't post pics - I was stalked. That was years ago and perhaps it is safer now. I will have to think on it. I had really wanted to share some pics on the estate sale thread. No, I wouldn't show my face but I could wear a covid mask and hide much of it! LOL

@gsciencechick I had to google who Moira Rose is! I've never really liked black against my face, but I probably have 20 pairs of black pants. LOL

@OutsidePlaying my make-up has stayed in the same family, as I don't do foundation (only concealer) and very neutral eyes. However, I discovered lip stain and I love it! For more "dressed up times" (I've about forgotten what those feel like) - I add gloss over it. Skin care I definitely change up! Just did that in the last few months.

@raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio browns have never been flattering on me. I can get away with a silvery taupe, but that's about it. Which is okay, earth tones are not my favorite colors. I've always been a pink/aqua/turquoise/hot pink kind of gal! I'm finding some shades of blue that work well with my coloring too. It's a journey for sure!

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Tina, I wear tinted moisturizer only except for those rare occasions when we have gone out, even pre-Covid. It is a very light, adaptable tint. And I do use under-eye concealer and will put on a dab of that and a little mascara sometimes. Since we are wearing masks I just use lip moisturizer.

Tina Marie thanked OutsidePlaying
  • always1stepbehind
    3 years ago

well now my hair matches my wardrobe...black and white :-0

Tina Marie thanked always1stepbehind
  • robo (z6a)
    3 years ago

I was a deeper summer - never comfortable in the lighter pastels of the season. My sister can pull off pale and powder pastels so much better.

as I’ve gone grey I’ve really been drawn more than ever to muted brights instead of true brights. So it’s toned down some of the “winter” colours that I could wear before. I can’t do some of the other summer-adjacent brights I used to pull off like coral and green turquoise. And I do need softening around my face for black - I just can’t resist wearing a lot of black but I’ll throw a scarf up next to my face now.

Tina Marie thanked robo (z6a)
  • DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

robo that's interesting - a deeper summer. When I had my colors done a million years ago I was categorized as a winter who just missed being a summer which is basically your deeper summer I think. I could never wear true red or emerald green of winters but also could never wear navy or pale yellow of summers although I tried all of them from time to time unsuccessfully.

Some of my color choices have not changed with my gray hair. I feel best in any pink from softest whisper to the deepest rose, always blue based but that was true before I grew out my gray. Could never wear cream but true white is good. Cool blues, periwinkle, certain some pale tealish colors work and some purples but they can easily overwhelm me now whereas I could handle them as a brunette. Oddly, I never liked any gray on me as a brunette and charcoal has always been like a death shroud on me but pale grays now work well with my coloring and I gravitate to them often especially mixed with bright white. Well, who am I kidding - my 'wardrobe' now is anything that goes with robe! As someone already mentioned my skin tone has 'evolved' with age.

Tina Marie thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Lars
    3 years ago

I stopped dyeing my hair when I was 50, and by then it was pretty much platinum blond, although I had been dyeing it medium ash brown. My natural color in my early 20s was a sort of auburn, which I never liked.

At 50 I started dyeing my hair platinum blond, but I noticed then that I really did not need to dye it anymore, as that was its natural color, which was a relief. Now it's a bit closer to white, but I'm okay with that as well.

I did not really change the colors I wear because I would fight the colors and pretty much wore what I wanted regardless. I did find that green and yellow did not look good on me at any age, and I never wore brown. I'm not a fan of beige either, except for pants. Mostly, I've worn bright colors, although I've stayed away from orange, except as an accent color. In San Francisco, I would wear an orange T-shirt under a magenta button shirt. It was so cold there that I needed to wear undershirts, which I always hated and never wore in Texas. I've not worn undershirts since I moved away from SF.

Here's a photo of me on Grouse Mountain, BC (north of Vancouver), Sept 1981

Here I'm wearing a purple Lycra undershirt, a lavender cowboy shirt, and a black bomber jacket lined in pink, with a skinny purple studded belt. This is a rare photo of me wearing blue jeans. This was when I dyed my my hair ash brown. My friend Greg has a completely different fashion sense, but I forgave him for that.

Here I am a month earlier at a party in Vancouver

The host of this party spiked my hair for me - I could not have done this myself. I went to Vancouver twice that year, which was not the only time I did that.

Tina Marie thanked Lars
  • salonva
    3 years ago

My natural color was similar to Rae;s. I used to say it was the darkest brown/black that a caucasian could have. I too am a winter. I started letting my gray come in over 2 years ago ( my hair grows very very very slowly). Previously I had been coloring it dark brown, and then realized it was too harsh as I aged so tried to lighten it up slightly and then just stopped coloring. I am now pretty much grown out, and more salt than pepper but not totally white. I finally think I like it. I toyed for the 2 years about going back to coloring it, as I was never really convinced but now I think finally finally I like it.

So being winter, I too was pretty good in vibrant colors and some pastels, and wore tons of black. Now with my whitish hair, the one color I notice that I wore a little bit and liked, was gray- but now it makes me look washed out. Basically though I think the same colors that flattered me before still do. I didn't wear much white but white was way better than beige. Now white is kind of blah on me unless it's summertime and I have a tan.

Tina Marie thanked salonva
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lars your hair was pretty dark! I think you hair now is striking. : )

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Beautiful hair, robo, and those colors look great on you!

I don't like stark white on me either, but I'm really not sure who can pull that off (aside from someone with darker, flawless skin, and then it is fabulous). Cream or slightly off-white is just so much more flattering, I think, at least for me and most people I've seen wear it.

• Lars
    3 years ago

Tina Marie, that was not my natural hair color. If you look at my mustache in the second photo, you can get an idea of what my natural hair color was at that time.

I probably was a bit mischievous in my earlier days, but I must also have been sweet, since I had sweet friends. I used to go to a lot of parties also, especially in Mexico City and Vancouver. I felt more appreciated there than I did in the U.S. for some reason - maybe people thought I was exotic.

Robo, I really like your hair color in that photo - it really brings out your eyes. I've always preferred hair that was not just one color.

I sat behind a woman on a city bus in San Francisco once (circa 1982) that had appeared to have put a dark red henna rinse over salt & pepper black and white hair. The result was that the white hair was dyed red while the black hair remained jet black, and her hair reminded me of fox fur. I really want to have hair like that, but since my natural color was never black, that was not a possibility.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Robo, I love your hair color. Our department admin is very similar.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Slightly OT but when I got my hair cut today and my stylist was having me look at the end result I told her again how much I love my natural gray hair color. I’m still astonished by this. When I was coloring my hair I had no idea how great my natural color was or how much I could like gray.

When Covid subsides and I have somewhere to wear all the clothes I haven’t worn since my hair turned, it will be interesting to see if I feel differently about any of the colors. I think I was a summer when I did the color thing back in the day.