Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_stonecipher

Spa/Hot Tub Measurements/Dimensions

Amy Stonecipher
3 years ago

Hello!

I would love some advice. We're having a small custom in ground pool installed and are adding in a hottub to one of the sides. See pic below of inspiration photo to give you an idea of things. The space only allows for a small, rectangular spa (12' x 3'6"). I realize this is a unique size/shape (and yes, we're settled on it). Our contractor has never worked with such a long but narrow space before so not sure he's confident in his recommendations here. My questions are:

• How deep should the spa be? Since it's narrow, we're thinking of making it deeper than standard so that it has more volume of water/feels bigger. My husband and I are quite tall (both approx 6' tall). We have 2 young kiddos but they'll be happy with whatever, of course.
  • Position and number of benches? Our thought is 2 standard width benches on the 2 ends of the spa (so each would be 3'6" long) and then a more narrow (but still comfortable) bench across one of the sides. So husband and I could enjoy on opposite sides and even kick our legs up on the long bench. Then, the long bench could accomodate more people. Would the long bench work okay (it would look over the spillway into the pool) or is it simply too narrow of a space and we should leave it to just the 2 small benches on the end? What should height of these benches be? Again, the roomier the better and my husband and I are quite tall (but want to be able to put our arms out onto the coping easily).
  • How many and placement of jets? We're not big jet massage people so are more interested in bubbles (although we love the idea of foot jet/massagers). Contractor is recommending 4 but that doesn't feel like enough. Advice here would be awesome!

Thanks so much all!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Tipton Spires Design|Build
    3 years ago

Average depth of a hot tub is 3'-6" - 48". Anything smaller than 6' in width you'll be scraping your knees on the wall. Do you have any photos of the actual pool? Dimensions?

• Amy Stonecipher
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It's being dug as we speak, so not yet. But dimensions are above.

• PRO
    Tipton Spires Design|Build
    3 years ago

Your builder didn't give you any type of plans or design with dimensions?

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I’d imagine you will have to have a seat at each short end and one half moon shape in the middle rather than one long bench. You want to stretch your legs out a bit or it defeats the relaxation of the hot tub.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

So even though it’s 12’ long you would only have seats for 4. I can’t imagine wanting to be in a hot tub with more people than that anyway :) we have a swim spa with the swim portion at one end and the hot tub on the other. I can’t emphasize enough about leg room as ours technically seats 3 but 2 is more realistic or we are all intertwining our feet.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I think your inclination to make it slightly deeper is good. And you can’t have too many jets in the hot tub part IMO. Have you thought about ease of getting in and out?

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Since you and your are tall, more than likely your kids will be tall.

Your attached pic looks cozy, but may not go over well when your kids have their friends over. And they will!

We built this 9x12 spa about 8 years ago. It's 4' deep. My clients were both about 5'8" ish.

We did include a "foot rest" at the floor below the bench, otherwise their feet would dangle, making it uncomfortable.

The bench was located just on 2 sections, 9' section and the 12'. The remaining 9' section, we created a contoured bench with neck, body and toe jets in place. Very tricky stuff with the rebar, the piping and the actual carving of the concrete.

While the 4' depth may be comfortable for you, perhaps may

not be for guests.

Montclair, NJ · More Info

• Amy Stonecipher
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is so beautiful @mysticpools. Any recommendations for benches/footrest for our narrow spa (3’6” x 12)? And is the 4 foot depth you mention floor of hot tub to top if coping or...?

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    3 years ago

Thank you.

I measure the depths from the water. Typical spas are 3'. The measurement from the bench to the top of the tile, is 21". So your sitting in 18" of water. The measurement from the bench to the spa floor is 18". That height is generally any chair height or a park bench.

This is a comfortable height.

This spa had a footrest 12" tall. I think we made it 9 or 10" wide.

It also has an automatic cover, so the track was fastened to the top of the pool wall. The coping was then set on top of the track, Coping thickness-2". Track was 1 1/4' high.

Overall height 3 1/4".

I think you should reconsider the 3' 6" width and go at least 6' wide. I think you'll be happier.

• Amy Stonecipher
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all. The specs are final at the “unique” size of 12’x3’6”. What we do have control over is the benches to maximize the space as best we can. Here’s what we’re thinking: 2 benches at either edge and 2 small benches on the other side of the steps. See pic. Would love your thoughts.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

If you draw this to scale you will see that the 'walkway' in front of the bench will only be about 2' max. and that step down looks very dangerous - because if someone doesn't negotiate it well due to it's very small size and falls in they essentially impale themselves on the other side as the space is so narrow. If it were me I'd have to say no to it. Sorry.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH