oliverac21

How do I arrange my furniture?

Olivera

Also, I feel like I have too many dark pieces. What can I do to lighten it up? I need to keep the couches and dining room table.
There is a an electric fireplace behind the love seat and no one really watches the tv.

• Olivera

All of these are lovely!! I thought my rug was coming today but it’s still in Ohio! I can’t wait for this lockdown to be over so I can go to Homesense. Would you like to see the new pillows and the plant in the meantime?

• bluemarble

Nah...

Help!!! Help!!! How do I arrange my furniture

Pending on furniture size, I picture putting the TV on an entertainment center, located on the 19 wall, which means you can see it from the kitchen too. Put the couch with its back to the window seat. Give the window seat plenty of space between it and the back of the couch. The idea is to treat the window seat as a somewhat separate reading nook. Angle the recliner toward the tv and the couch with its back facing (but not touching) the 11 wall. Make kind of a conversation cluster out of the furniture. Don't line the walls with it. Put a side table next to the recliner. Put a coffee table in the middle. The recliner could also go across from the couch, pointed toward the tv, but then you have a recliner back greeting you when you walk in the door. I'd sketch this out, but I don't have the time right now. Draw it up and cut out a couple squares and rectangles. Play around with arrangements on paper. Try to do this to-scale.

Need help with my living room!

Put 2 single seat chairs on either side of the fire place , with a round table in the center of them. Try putting a big 3 or 4 seat sofa on the single window wall side . Then u can put your tv on the wall opposite the fire place .

Three focal points, no wall space, how do I arrange my furniture? HELP

Any photos?

Living Room Setup

You could place couch facing the firepalce, as long as it's not too large/bulky and then add a console table behind. You could also place on the long wall. It really depends on what other seating and tables that you have to work with. Best thing is to move in and try the different arrangements or before hand, go on line for a room planner, not sure if the one below works well, but something like this will certainly help. http://www.la-z-boy.com/Design-Center/Room-Planner/?WT.ac=designhelp_3d@sidemenu
  • bluemarble

Hahahahaha, just kidding! Of course!

• Olivera

Lol! Tomorrow for sure!!

• bluemarble

Ok, great! With all the severe weather, who knows when your rug will get there, so I'll be happy to see some warm and fuzzy pillows. Hope you're happy with the quality.

• Olivera

Here is how it is looking with the new pillow covers, new plant and the new chair :) the pillow covers are really nice! They are 20” x 20”. Looking for a few more pillows to complement. Still waiting for the rug.

• Cecilia

Fantastic! I really love that chair.

• bluemarble

Yes, the chair is very cool and the plants is a great addition! After you get a couple more pillows, maybe consider putting one of the furry ones on the loveseat. They take up quite a lot of room together on the sofa. What color(s) do you want for the others?

• Olivera

Great idea! I was thinking something with some green, blue or maybe yellow to go with the art, rug and dining room chairs.

• bluemarble

Those colors sound great. The room looks so good already! It's crazy how a plant can make such a difference. You chose a good size. It really pulled the art right into the room. Gives dimension.

• Olivera

Thank you! I think the plant is my favourite thing!!

• Olivera

I got my rug yesterday! I love it.

• Cecilia

Its perfect! I love it!!

• decoenthusiaste

Pretty rug, wrong size. It needs to anchor the heavy sofas. I prefer a rug to slip under the front 1/3 to 1/2 of a sofa and extend past its ends by a foot or more. The more leggy chair should sit entirely on it. As is, it will interfere with pulling out the piano bench. Is it too long to turn the opposite direction so it misses the piano and grounds the seating?

• bluemarble

Olivera, it's so pretty! It fits so well with your abstract leanings. The colors are cheerful, and it looks so soft. Is it possible to pull the loveseat's front legs onto it, or will it crowd the sofa?

• eveuchan

I would turn the rug the other direction and place front of couch and loveseat on rug.

• felizlady

Yes, the rug is too small. It should extend under the front third or front half of the seating furniture. Or turn it to serve only the seating area and not extend to the piano zone.
    Do you have another room that needs a rug?

• Olivera

I had many things to consider and this was the best option. I know it’s not ideal but I still love it! I will try to push the rug a bit further under the sofa. Thanks so much for all of the feedback :)

• rhome410

Would it work to swap the sofa and loveseat if turning the rug won’t work? I agree it would look best tucked under both pieces. I love the colors!

• bluemarble

Can we see a close-up of the rug. I want to run my hand over it haha.

Yes, we had discussed an eight foot width for the sofa, but this one is 7x10. As long as you're happy ; )

Now for a new table...!

• bluemarble

Is it too much to try turning the rug, Olivera?

• Cecilia

I second trying to switch the sofa and loveseat to see how it looks with the rug as is. If it's not too difficult to try. ;)

• Olivera

I’m going to try all of your suggestions! I was also thinking maybe I can order the same rug in 8.5 x 10 and move this 7 x 10 into my dining room. It’s looking kinda bare :•)

• bluemarble

Great that it comes in so many sizes. Look forward to seeing photos of the different arrangements.

LB Interiors

I love it! It's beautiful! 💖

I think a 5x8 or 6x9 would be sufficient to allow more open walkway space and become a unit with the sofas only.

If keeping this size... I would keep it in the same position, just move it all the way under the 3 seater sofa. So that it comes to the end of the loveseat side.

I think that might feel like it fits better.

Now, you can add the brighter colors, like blue. Yellow and coral as decorator pillows. I think it would be a beautiful balance of color and interest.

• Laura Villar

following

• Olivera

This is the rug close up.

• bluemarble

Very pretty, Olivera. It's neutral while giving you some colors to choose from for other elements as LB Interiors mentioned. Has a nice little shimmer.

LB Interiors

I love the rug colors! So easy to change accessory colors when you get bored 😁 does it come in a 5 x 8 or 6 x 9?

• Olivera

Glad you all like the rug! Yes it comes in 5 x 8 and 6 x 9. Would I place it just in front of the sofa and loveseat?

LB Interiors

Yes, typically when the 2 sofas are at right angles to each other and the arms are close to each other, a 5 x 8 is good. You only need to add grounding & color there, it does not have to encompass any tables. Being close, the conversation is more convenient. It is also cozier and takes up less space in the room. The room will also feel larger.

I can't tell the scale of placement to the room, if sofas are farther from one another.

For storage, you might want to put a credenza or cabinet against the wall behind the sofa in your current placement.

I think I would lean to switching your sofas. It's atypical due to the long wall, customary to place the largest seating there...but I feel the 3 seater sofa stretches across the narrowest configuration of the room, that it extends into the space that moves into the open areas & pathways, and adding to keeping in mind, the pathway through to the other room.

With the switch, the rug's shorter depth will bypass the foot traffic and probably, visually, would not be too close and awkward near the piano.

I'm feeling that the sofas are spread out too far for your room size.

The room is horizontally longer and narrower at the pathway access.

I hope this makes any sense, without room dimensions, and seeing it from the photos.

I'm curious where a 5 x 8 or 6 x 9, would end up, if sofas switched, with the rug only at perimeter of the sofa set?

You could use painter's tape on the floor to see how it feels.

• everdebz

You don't have to pay attention to this: I think with the angular chair, and with 2 hefty pieces of furniture, another rug would be better.

• everdebz

The chair added so much, that I hate to see its shape be 'lost'...

Kaleen Soho Stratford 2504 Rug, Pewter (73), 8'0" x 11'0" · More Info

• everdebz

Kaleen Soho Thames 2503 Rug, Beige (03), 8'0" x 11'0" · More Info

• everdebz

The 2 colors in it might blend with wall color and chair.. ?

Wool Hooked Animal Print Masai MAS-03 Area Rug by Loloi, Silver Grey / Ivory, 9' · More Info

LB Interiors

I love that you posted the closeup of the rug! It's so pretty and versatile for choosing accent colors throughout your spaces. You can change out accessories and artwork to fit your mood. Any one of your artwork pieces will work on the solid wall.

I went back to look more closely at your room photos. I feel the best way to use the space best, is to switch the sofas. The 3 seater extends too far and too close to the dining room as seen in this photo.

I also feel that switching the fireplace with the piano will feel much better. The piano seems to be deeper than the fireplace., as seen in another photo. The piano appears to jut out too far in the walkway path. Not sure... but I think the fireplace is shallower. It appears that either will fit the 2 wall lengths. Without actual dimensions of the room.... I think it will make a big difference.

The room pic also shows that there is not enough space for the chair. It would be placed into the dining room wall division space.

The chair might have a comfortable space, if it were pushed further toward the loveseat if you were to switch the sofas.

Olivera thanked LB Interiors
  • Olivera

Thank you so much for your comments and your input, Lorraine. Everything you are saying makes perfect sense. Now that I have made the room more inviting, my family hangs out here all the time so the TV is back on top of the fireplace, so I don't think the piano will work under the tv, unfortunately. Your idea of switching the sofa and the loveseat makes sense. To be honest, I liked having no chair (like in the photo above) but I had already order the new chair and I can't return it. We do, however, use the new chair quite a bit though and I think it will work better in the space with the loveseat beside it instead of the sofe. My only hesitation with moving the sofa to in front of the window is that it obstructs more of my window. I love natural light and I hate to block it. Also, when we are all watching tv, it is kind of convenient having the sofa against the back wall. But I do think it will work better in the space. I am definitely going to try it! As far as the rug goes, my sofa is 7.5 feet side and the loveseat is 5', so the 5 x 8 will probably work best. Thanks again so much.

LB Interiors

Olivera, you are welcome! I appreciate your feedback. I totally understand wanting the window view.

As in everything we have to choose priorities and sacrifice another wish : ) In this room the choices came to window view vs floor space and having the space feel more open and less cramped. Hard decisions for sure.

With what you mentioned, I would push the loveseat as close to the window as possible. Sofa arms, very close to each other to keep the opening near the dining as open as possible.

If it was my room, I would mount the TV on the wall, that wall space is the only place for it.

If your decision for TV is 'not mounted', (mountings are inexpensive), Why wouldn't it be able to sit on the piano? (either fireplace or piano).

The piano at the TV corner seems like it would be the ideal place for it. (dimensions work better there). Out of the way and does not take up so much space in a pathway. It would make the room feel deeper and more convenient walking around a shallower unit.

Great chair and luckily it is easy to move. I would place it close to the loveseat, near the TV wall, at an angle facing the dining room. It's easy to move across the room when needed.

For the rug, the 5 x 8 will work great. With a larger rug, you will also probably find that the rug corner into a pathway will soil so much faster.

One other note, there are many photos of rooms where the seating group in a room is spread out far from one another. A coffee table sits in the middle of the group, however, if the table is not large enough for all people to reach it or have side tables nearby to put a drink on it, then it is just for show. Keep the seating in a close group, visually feels inviting.

Thanks again! I hope I helped.

• Olivera

Yes, you helped a lot. I ordered a wall mount for the tv and I will try the piano underneath. Thanks again!!

• everdebz
    yesterday

I see the beautiful texture of your rug, and in the sun.... is that a keeper? :)

• Olivera
    yesterday

Hi everdebz! Those are some beautiful rugs. I will definitely keep those in mind for future! I am loving this rug that I found. Thank you so much for your input.

• bluemarble
    yesterday

Olivera, are you finished with your treatments? Time for celebration? xo

Looking forward to seeing some of the recommendations from LB put into place. I had wondered (and maybe we discussed it at one point) if the sofa and loveseat could be swapped, but thought the sofa would crowd the fireplace. If no crowding, then the rug would fit the sofa better on the long side.

• fussybutt01
    yesterday

Olivera, wow what a transformation! Your room looks so much bigger, lighter, and more inviting. I have a similar space that is challenging me. (Will try in my space some of the suggestions made to you ). Beautiful job!! 💕 Can’t wait to see the final touches.

• Olivera
    yesterday

Hi bluemarble, yes I had my last treatment this week! Woohoo! I am so happy and I am now starting on my healing journey. To be honest, my energy is low and I am temporarily taking a break from rearranging furniture, but I promise I will and post for you all to see. I cannot tell you grateful I am to all of you for your help and your kindness through this difficult time. It actually makes me emotional. You have inspired a new passion for home interiors as I have experienced firsthand the power it can have on your spirit and how it can bring a family together. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

• bluemarble
    yesterday

💃🏻 Yay! Great news for you and your family. You are so kind and gracious, and I think you made a smart choice for yourself during this challenging time to reach out and be creative. A home has much to offer us when we give it some attention. We are thrilled to give you some attention, and thank you for sharing this little piece of your journey.

Definitely take some time to rest and heal. We’ll be here❣️

• Olivera
    14 hours ago

I got some help moving the furniture and tried Lorraine’s suggestions :) I moved the loveseat right up against the window to make the room appear wider. I pulled the rug under the couch and moved the chair beside the fireplace. I also added a couple of coral pillows that I had. I can always move the chair if I need to and the walkway between the living and dining room is clear. I am liking this!

• Olivera
    14 hours ago

Thanks for all the kind words!

• bluemarble
    11 hours ago

Looks really nice...like you're getting ready for spring!

Any closer to deciding on a table? Let us know if you need help browsing.

Your dog is so cute. ; )

• Olivera
    8 hours ago

Thanks bluemarble :) he is such a ham. Loves to be in every shot! I am taking my time with the coffee table. The one we have now doesn’t bother me as much now that everything else looks better. I’ll share a couple that I have seen that I liked.

• bluemarble
    8 hours ago

Sorry, I wasn't trying to push yours to the curb! Well, maybe I was because I thought you said it was broken haha. By all means, take your time.