hanzliks_hanzlik

The greatest cereal of all time??

sal 60 Hanzlik
3 years ago

I chose oatmeal.

Comments (67)

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Kellogg's Corn Flakes, with sliced bananas...or Post's Raisin Bran with dried

cranberries.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Five-minute Quaker oatmeal. Favorite add-in is dried cranberries.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

Grape nuts

Frosted mini wheats

Grits

Cream of wheat

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Most cereals aren't an option for me anymore because of gluten intolerance. Old favorites were Total, then Lucky Charms (in middle age of all times!) and forever favorite, warm cooked rice w/ milk, sugar. Sometimes raisins or raisins & cinnamon.

Favorite 'cereal' now is gluten free cornbread & milk or fried cornmeal mush. Then I go on an oatmeal jag once in a while. Home made with cinnamon. Or sometimes the individual packets of instant, not-so-healthy Peaches & Cream.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

Cocoa Krispies or Cocoa puffs. With chocolate milk.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Cap‘n Crunch with Crunchberries. I used to love to eat the crunchberries. My kids were allowed junk cereal once a week. I’d also vote for Rice Krispies. Love the snap, crackle, pop with banana slices.

Now I eat Barbara’s Morning Oat Crunch almost every morning. Not as good as Cap’n Crunch but healthier.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I eat the healthy? stuff, Raisin Bran and store brand mini wheats but if I treat myself it would be Cap'n Crunch. I would say original but the formulation has changed a couple of years ago and they are no longer as crispy.

• tvq1
    3 years ago

Oat groats! One step less processed than steel cut oats. They have a wonderful texture and are very healthy and filling. I cook them in my Instant Pot Mini.

Anyone remember "Zoom"? My Grandad ate that every day--with thick cream and sugar on top!

• marylmi
    3 years ago

Oatmeal first, then shredded wheat with warm milk and a little honey. Haven't had either one in a long time. Should put one of them on my shopping list!

• hallngarden
    3 years ago

Cream of wheat

• always1stepbehind
    3 years ago

These days, Frosted Mini Wheats...they seem to keep my regular!!

• seniorgal
    3 years ago

Malt-o-meal

• patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

Though not a fan of oatmeal I once had the most wonderful oatmeal on the Island of Skye in Scotland. It came from the co-op according to the lady of the house. It was nutty and flavorful-pin cut. We bought some and brought it home with us. McCann is only a pale imitation of that oatmeal. DH makes his own Red River since he cant get it. He buys all the grains and flakes, cuts, steams etc. You cant imagine the amount of work involved. He is aiming for the original Roman Meal which hasnt been available for a very long time. RR was a substitute for that.

I have never been a cereal fan but Rice Crispies or the Corn Flakes of the past if I had to eat it.

• ghostlyvision
    3 years ago

I always liked Cap'n Crunch until I outgrew it and went with the first boxed granola cereal, I loved that stuff (don't recall who made it). My ex loved Malt O'Meal but couldn't find it for the longest time after moving to Texas (and he rarely ate breakfast anyway).

• chisue
    3 years ago

Oatmeal would have to be the all-time standard. I like it better than DH does.

We stock: Great Grains (several varieties), Brown Sugar Oatmeal Squares, and Morning Summit. Used to buy Mini-Wheats. I add pecans or walnuts to the Great Grains. The Morning Summit is a good snack, too.

• ladypat1
    3 years ago

Not healthy= cocoa krispies

Healthy= Raisin Nut Bran

• Lars
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My favorite by far is grits, and I make it fairly often.

Second favorite is steel cut oats, and I make that with date crystals (plus fresh dates) and apples. It's a good way of using dried apples for when I do not have fresh.

For cold cereal, which I do not eat any more, now that I am retired, my favorite is granola with coconut and almonds. I eat granola with yogurt - I never eat any kind of cereal with milk, and the only milk we have in the house is powdered, which I use mainly when I make pancakes or waffles. Kevin puts it in his coffee.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I would vote for Cheerios. They are the vanilla ice cream of cereals. They taste good plain right out of the box or you can dress them up or down with sweeteners, fresh fruit, dried fruit, even add marshmallows or sprinkles if you want. They and corn flakes are the base for all the rest of the dry cereals out there.

Cheerios are also a great early finger food for babies. Healthier than those Goldfish things or crackers and help develop fine motor skills.

For cooked cereal I vote for grits, followed by Cream of Wheat with oatmeal being a dead last. Buckwheat groats make a wonderful porridge as well as a side dish. I love them as a side dish but I not really into hot cereals.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

My husband likes Frosted Mini Wheats or Raisin Bran. I have never eaten cereal, since I don't drink milk.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

ooooo super tough one. Frosted Flakes/alpha bets/sugar smacks. None of which I eat but boy do I wish I could! Special K was good when trying to be healthy back in the day--but they've ruined them. Now it's frosted mini wheats because it's high fiber.

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Cream of Wheat!

• lily316
    3 years ago

I haven't had cereal in 30 years but my favorites then were grape nuts and shredded wheat . Maybe oatmeal too.

• arkansas girl
    3 years ago

I doubt it's the "greatest cereal" but I usually eat bran flakes with dried cranberries and whole milk. If I eat oatmeal, I will soak it in milk for an hour or so and also put dried cranberries on it. I really don't care for cooked oats and really really hate steel cut oats!

When I was a kid, I loved Super Sugar Crisps!

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    3 years ago

Once I tasted Holland America's Swiss Style Muesli, it shot to the top of my cereal list (recipe below). Not exactly dietetic but oh so good. it's been quite a long time since I was on board and I've been happy with my simpler version which is half and half steel cut oats and quinoa, low fat yogurt, blueberries, nuts, and a small amount of French Vanilla coffee creamer.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/food-beverage/favorite-holland-america-line-recipe-swiss-style-muesli/

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Special K with Red Berries. I don't know why they call them "Red Berries." It sounds like fake fruit, but it's actually freeze dried strawberries, and they're delicious.

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

I was going to say Team flakes, but didn't think anyone would remember them. So glad to see they are not forgotten:) My second would be cream of wheat, or farina as we called it. My Mom used to make it for us before school on cold winter mornings, and sometimes she would dump the dry cereal into the hot milk too fast making it lumpy, which I loved!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

It's easier for me to list cereals I haven't enjoyed 😄

But I haven't eaten hot or cold cereal in quite some time.

Grape nuts with raisins added were my fave for a long time - you don't even need to add any sugar.

This one's pretty yummy:

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

I stopped eating cereals for breakfast several years ago due to dietary concerns. Most cereal are high in carbohydrates and low in protein. My Dietitian tells me to look for better protein to carbohydrate ratio. The cereals I ate before were raisin bran, cheerios, corn flakes, and oat based.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

anyone remember king vitamin?

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

I'm seldom eat cereal. I don't know about it being the greatest, but corn flakes are versatile. You can have it unsweetened or sweetened, add berries, nuts, or fruit to it. I am gluten intolerant so I use corn flakes for breading meats or adding to meatloaf instead of using bread crumbs. I also use it in some cookies recipes.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

Steel cut oats with salt, pepper and butter and a side of plain yogurt. No sweet stuff for me for breakfast.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    3 years ago

I remember fondly King Vitaman. I have mostly turned to yogurt for breakfast these days; however, I now like Crunchy Raisin Bran though it's a little too sweet.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    3 years ago

Sleeperblues, you mentioned lumpy cream of wheat. I prefer lumps too.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

That's an easy question! It has to be Chex because you can make Chex mix with it. I probably haven't eaten a bowl of cereal for 4 decades.

• stacey_mb
    3 years ago

I like lumpy cream of wheat too - the only way to make it interesting, IMHO.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Those chewy lumps in Cream of Wheat (and Cream of Rice) are the best part! And why can't I ever seem make them on purpose?

Because I now prefer to buy and eat organic foods, I've used organic semolina and organic brown rice flour to make those hot cereals.

I haven't eaten cereal for breakfast for years. If I am eating cereal, it's for 'dessert' at the end of the day, or a snack.

• amicus
    3 years ago

Oatmeal, Jordan's Muesli, Cranberry Almond Crunch, Life, Special K with strawberries, Multigrain Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

I know, Carolb, I could never make the lumps either! I don't eat cereal anymore, but I fondly remember Mom's cream of wheat.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

I am so un-American when it comes to sugar on or sugary cold cereals. Can't stand them myself. I like Grapenuts, original Cheerios, original corn flakes, Wheaties. Cooked cereals I love and do put a bit of sweet on are oatmeal and original Cream of Wheat. I can eat the instant oatmeal that you can cook in the micro, but just can't abide the instant Cream of Wheat. Have to have the original.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

I have not had Cream of Wheat in decades. I always loved it with lots of sugar. Guess I’ll have to get some.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

quisp and quake cereals

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Qwisp? Qwuake? Now your talking my language! Call Baba Wawa!

• lisa_fla
    3 years ago

My sister and I loved Quisp and Quake in the 60's. I think they were space themed.

Lars-I make oatmeal (sometimes grits) with some chopped onion and add kale to the water. Top it with a poached egg and a little parmesan. Love it! For cold cereal, my go to would be Rice Chex with some type of chopped fruit. I used to really like Golden Grahams. Too tempting to eat straight out of the box. I don't know if its around anymore.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Forgot about Rice Krispies and Crispex. I like those, too, and, of course, with no sugar added.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Hah! I just came from buying some brussels sprouts on sale, and they had a display of a bag of puffed wheat for $2.50. I bought it!! Memory lane for sure.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Haha - puffed wheat was always one of my least favorite cereals.

Remembering when I was a kid, we were only allowed to eat Cap'n Crunch as a snack - never for breakfast. I still fondly recall that taste, even tho I haven't eaten any for decades.

Remember those little variety packs with the small 1 serving boxes that you could use as a bowl by cutting/tearing open? I remember having them at some restaurants like Howard Johnson's too.

I guess they still make them. The sweetened ones were always the first to go...

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I DO remember the variety packs but where I'd encounter them was not at home but at summer camp. That was the easiest way several days a week to feed breakfast to a hungry mass of boys - put down stacks of those packages, pitchers of milk, some bananas, and then stand back!

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Yep, in restaurants. Sugar Pops!!

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Chex cereals are best because you can make Nuts 'n' Bolts (Chex mix).

Rice Krispies because you can make Rice Krispy treats or crush the Rice Krispies to coat chicken for baking!

• Rho Dodendron
    3 years ago

Golden Grahms. They are rarely in my house because that is one cereal that never meets milk--it is eaten stright from the box. unless I bake Golden Grahm S'More bars.

Oatmeal probably is the greatest breakfast cereal ever.