Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_103942006

Need help picking Color for LR Sofa, Curtains and carpet

Ankur S
3 years ago

As we just moved in so living room is a blank canvas. We went with Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray on walls. very undecided on what colors can work for Sofa, Curtains and an accent Carpet. Welcome any suggestions.

Comments (9)

• decormyhomepls
    3 years ago

Well, first, Happy Birthday! What is your style? What colors do you like? Gray goes with almost anything. Reds, blues, yellows. Are you attracted to farmhouse, modern, coastal. A blank slate is wonderful but no one can give you ideas without some help from you. Post some pictures of rooms that speak to you and you’ll get lots of help

• shadylady2u
    3 years ago

I think you need to get the sofa and rug first before you can decide on what color curtains. Also depends on how much color you want in the room.

• Ankur S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We like neutral and light colors like whites, off whites, beige, gray which makes our choices limited. Now I am trying to limit with what colors out of these would work best with the Stonington gray walls for Sofa and Carpet.

Do not want many colors in the room as well. one's that go along well. any suggestions on the sofa and carpets that can work?

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

What direction do the windows in your room face? I have Stonington Gray with large windows on both the north and west walls. The color changes subtly throughout the day, but always has a blue tone in my room.

• Ankur S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

south east and north west. the color does change subtly with daylight, has a bluish undertone but with the bright LED room lights, its a cool gray. I do love the wall colors. can you share a pic of yours or any ideas for sofa color? I am thinking to go with a sectional or 3 piece on one side with a carpet, coffee table. Then on other side we will put a piano which our kids are into learning.

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Yes, you are getting a different effect with your lighting (especially LEDs). A sectional will lend itself to a more casual style.

Our floors are a light, warm maple. Our trim is a creamy white (chair rail, crown, french doors), so very traditional. Sofa is also traditional style in off-white. It is our "formal" living room. Kids are all grown.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my living room. Knew the colors I was going to paint, the flooring I was going to put in and the color of he sofa. Then I went sofa shopping. I needed a 3x2 sectional for my living room (large room). I went to several stores that sold higher end furniture - wanted something that would last. One of the stores had a sofa that was the exact size that I wanted sitting in their back room - the person who ordered the sofa refused delivery - didn't care for the color. I got the sofa at 60% off. It is cream colored. I was planning on light walls and a darker gray sofa . . .

Since I had not painted the walls yet I could make this purchase with little angst. Had I already painted I would have most likely still purchased the sofa as it was a much better sofa than I could have afforded without the discount and I would have re-painted the walls.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

If I had to pick a sofa for in a room with Stonington Gray walls and there wasn't any other room to consider I would choose a charcoal gray sofa and bright blue accents.

But you should never plan colors one room at a time. You will want the colors to flow from room to room throughout your home.

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A nice combination of lightness, textures and a few pops of color