Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Another where to stop the backsplash question

mxk3 z5b_MI
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Ok, so I heard you guys about tiling all the kitchen walls instead of just the one stove wall -- appreciate the advice there, it was helpful. So now I need to decide whether to tile all the way up and around the pass-thru or just to under-cabinet height. My concern about doing only 18" high is it might look choppy with the upper part of the pass-thru painted, but OTOH my concern about tiling the entire pass-thru is it might look top-heavy. I will be using a soft, light color if that makes a difference. What do you guys think?

These pics are in morning light, cloudy day; new lighting going in soon, including under-cabinets so it will be pretty lit up:

Comments (7)

• Cecilia
    3 years ago

I would not go all the way up with it on the pass through wall, but that's just my opinion. I'm not a pro so I'd be interested to hear what they would say.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I agree with Cecilia. Just follow the cabinet height straight around. You have enough wall space that painting the rest will look fine.

Then, you have choices for the hood. I like going all the way up but....it looks like it will go past your cabinets up there, so I’m not entirely sure.

The other choice is to tile up to the bottom of the hood.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

When we put in this kitchen, we needed the cabinets to be as big as possible. That left tiny slivers of wall on either side. Our painter painted it. I had him change it to white, so that tiny sliver blends with the cabinet.

You have a decent amount of space there.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Forsure go all the way up.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

My first reaction is to tile up around the pass through also as you said in another post that you’re doing behind hood because I think it highlights that interesting feature too. My opinion is partially based on your tile choice which I understood is a simple design such as subway style. I don’t know if the curved shape presents challenges with tile layout though & knowing that would sway my decision. I’m interested to see what Pros have to say.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, am going with very simple splash all the way around -- likely a 4 x 8 but considering 3 x 6 (will cut out some poster board rectangles and tape them to the wall to see which way to go).

• Cherie
    3 years ago

I think it looks funny since your cabinets don't go up to the ceiling. Are you able to change the cabinet crown molding to go up to the ceiling?