Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clay61

Plantation shutters or faux blinds

clay61
10 years ago
I don't know should I get shutters or blinds to the windows can someone give me some suggestions

Comments (11)

• PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Definitely shutters; you have a gorgeous picture window, why not class it up?
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I would go shutters also. They seem to go with everything and you don't need anything else.
  • Carol O
    10 years ago
    Shutters is it! More character and comfortable feeling. For the bathroon, you can get the vinyl stick on designs that will give you color and great privacy. Home Depot has good selections. Cut and apply.
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    I'm the desenting vote - I would (do) have blinds and shades. It does depend on what your view is. My kitchen and bedrooms overlook backyard and then ravine, so no privacy issues. I have blinds so that I can totally open them to have the view. Shutters have a lot of frame to them, that even with the slats turned open still cover the window. I did not want that. And do you have the space to the side of the windows to open the shutters?
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    I am for shades too. Love the idea of having shutters but they require a deep window sill/ledge to sit in. Then there is the how quickly can you clean them issue....
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    Shutters do not require a deep window ledge. They are actually applied to the outside of the frame.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    shutters are much more expensive than blinds.
    they look nice, but if you're on a budget, get blinds.
  • PRO
    Two Blind Guys
    10 years ago
    I would highly recommend shutters! Although shutters may run you a little bit more money than faux wood blinds, it is well worth the investment in the end. Shutters are a timeless piece that are meant to be a permanent fixture in your home. They will be there in 20 years whereas faux wood blinds aren't mean to last as long. Shutters come in both inside and outside mount options and can be put on just about every window there is. Check out Norman Woodlore Composite Shutters. One of the best shutters in the industry because of the durability and warranty. If you do end up going with faux wood blinds, I'd recommend Hunter Douglas Everwood Faux Wood Blinds. They are guaranteed not to warp, bow, or yellow unlike the majority of the other brands out there.
  • jackiemom22
    10 years ago
    I would think about how often you may want any of these windows opened for fresh air. Shutters have to open into the room and are completely off the window, while blinds allow you to still have some coverage and the windows open at the same time. That being said, I do really like the look of plantation shutters.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I'm pretty much of a shutter fan. Maybe it's because of the "venetian blinds" I remember from my childhood... associated them with dark, unpleasant houses...