Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estherb2

Bought a Crassula exilis "Jade Tiger" yesterday. Should I repot?

I must stop going to this mega nursery in my area. They have too many simply gorgeous plants and I hear their chorus of "Take me home!" as a siren call when I go there. They have plants I've only seen in books or the internet before. This little Crassula was so very cute, I succumbed and took it home. I successfully resisted the call of a simply stunning Aglaonema with largely pink splotched leaves, as I don't have room for another big plant and it was $30 for a medium one and $60 for a near full-grown specimen. But it was sooo beautiful...

Should I repot my little Crassula from its plastic nursery pot or wait? Right now, I have it under one of my new LED grow lights. Will that do for it, or does it need a different setup?

Comments (7)

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Does it need repotting? Is the soil mix it's in (quite often) unsuitable and poorly drained?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

imo .... its stressed from bringing it home.. if not shipping from grower to seller ... not to mention light /humidity/etc changes ...

so leave it alone for at least a month to let it settle down in its new home ..... just water it properly ...

if you dont like to look at the pot.. do a pot in pot ... and hide it ... one trick is you can buy the new bigger pot.. and use some gravel or some such.. to hold the smaller pot in it ..

or use your media ... then when its time to repot.. your new pot is already filled with media and you have a preformed hole ready for the babe ... presuming of course.. you dont have to rip apart a bad root mass ...

btw.. at the store.. did you slip it out of the pot.. just to observe the roots??? ... if you had.. you would have the general idea whether it was seriously root bound.. and if it was.. you should have walked away ... anyway ...

lastly.. many peeps avoid repotting in winter ... your plants should be slowing down for such.. not getting all wound up from repotting ...

btw.. its stressed.. not hungry ... no fert for now

ken

ps: how are your bags of hosta doing??? .. how about an update in the hosta forum ...

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, Ken. I just took some pics of the baby tiger jade plant. For the first one, I split open the plastic nursery pot on one side and very carefully probed with a stick. I was shocked to see NO roots. The roots must be very tiny and concentrated at the top. The apparent fibrous stuff on the right is from the coir that apparently makes up part of its soil. I carefully closed up the split I made in the side of the pot. I will tape it closed. Noticing it was very dry, I gave it some water. The second pic is a view of the plant from above. So what do you think?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Agree with what dbarron said. Unless soil is bad, there is problem with the pot (like no drainage) or plant is really crowded and suffering because of that, there is probably better time to repot. Best is during active growth period - so find out and and act accordingly.

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As you can see from the 2 photos, the soil seems OK (maybe could use more perlite and sand), there is no overcrowding of roots, and there are holes in the bottom of the pot. So I guess I won't repot for a couple of months.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Agree again with dbarron - sand, IMO, is not a good amendment. Unless quite coarse and really a grit, not sand...Particles should be at least 2mm, preferably 3-5mm in size. Sand is used for some cacti, but I believe one should be an expert...we are talking growing in pots, where drainage is even more important.

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a