Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
satine100

Steam mop questions

satine100
3 years ago

I am looking at steam mops to be used mostly on hardwood but also ceramic tile bathroom floors. There are so many offered that it is hard to chose one. There seems to be an issue with water leaks, too much water on the floors and cords that are too short among other issues. Do you have one that you would recommend? My wood floors are really in need of a good cleaning and Im having a harder time because of arthritis and back issues to have the strength to do heavy cleaning. Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• Judy Good
    3 years ago

I have a shark one and does pretty good.

satine100 thanked Judy Good
  • bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My shark has a “dust” option that doesn’t leave too much water on the wood floor.

My only complaints about my shark are that it doesn’t stand up by itself, and it says you should wait and let it cool for a moment after you unplug it, before setting it on the floor. And it doesn’t come with a stand To set it on, I have to hold it.

satine100 thanked bpath
  • joann_fl
    3 years ago

I have a Bissel, it works great except the water tank cap had to be replaced 3 times now. They sent it free.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Hmmm I use the basic Shark Steam mop on my tile, and I adore it...........but I keep hearing that steam mops are not recommended for wood floors. I am wondering which one @bpath has because that sounds wonderful. Can you provide the model @ or a link? thank you

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

I also have a Bissell. I have used it on wood floors although I don’t think it’s so good for them. I moved it very quickly so it would not put too much water on the wood. At one point I forgot what I was doing and let it sit for a few seconds in one spot and it left a white mark.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I have a Shark as well and the instructions do say not to use the steam option on hard wood floors but instead use the dust setting. It does say it is OK to use the steam setting on wood laminates but I can't speak to that as I have none.

I have a lot of tile in the kitchen, sunroom, and entry and a little linoleum in the laundry room and one bath and it works great on those surfaces.

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

I have a Bissell Spinwave and it cleans great. It's not steam; it has two revolving disks kind of like a miniature version of those floor polishers that janitors use. It has a tank that you fill with water and cleaning fluid, and control with a push button. But most of time, I don't bother with the tank, I just directly spritz a windex and water mix on the floor and polish over it. I can't use much water because I have bamboo floors (which I highly DON'T recommend!)

• satine100
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sounds like the steam mop might not be best for wood floors. I use Bona woodfloor cleaner with a microfiber mop but the floors just don't get clean. Also I don't want to buy a steamer just for my two bathrooms so I may have to actually think about getting some help with the housework. I hate that idea.

• Lars
    3 years ago

I have an Iwoly M11 that has multiple settings, and I like it very much. It has an attachment for carpet that I use in my bedroom in Los Angeles.

I took my old Haan steam mop to Cathedral City, where I only have tile floors, and I like that one very much for tile floors, but it may have been discontinued.

ETA: Had to correct the spelling for "Haan." This is close to what I have. I have used it on wood floors without any problem, but I do like the Iwoly better.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I have a Shark also but I only use it on the bathroom tile. I like it ok. As boath observed, you cant stand it up so I have improvised other ways to let it cool before removing the pad. I have a hook it hangs on for storage, so I just put it there for a few minutes and it’s fine.

I will never ever buy another Bissell product. Everything I have bought of that brand (including one steam mop that leaked like crazy before the warranty expired) ends up as junk in a couple of years.

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

I have the Bissel Powerfresh and love it! Never knew my floors were so dirty until I used it the first time!

• localeater
    3 years ago

I have an old Hahn that I love. It was definitely an old GW recommendation. I wonder if it was badgergal. Lars and I may have the same one.

• nekotish
    3 years ago

I have a pretty basic Shark. The cord is short so I have permantly attached an extension cord. Our whole house is hardwood except for kitchen and bathrooms and I use it on all the floors. I go quickly on the hardwood, don't leave it in one place too long, but I don't think it leaves any more water than a mop would.