Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_673863879

What colors go best , would you take down this huge red oak ?

HU-673863879
3 years ago

Comments (16)

• HU-673863879
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The home is in a lake Conroe water front community . i Just bought this and I really want update but the brick color is challenging not to mention leaves

• HU-232399493
    3 years ago

We're closing on a house in Conroe today with the same brick! I'll be following this thread! If the tree is healthy, leave it. Hire a good tree guy to to check it out and remove branches as needed. Lawn service or mulching mower will take care of leaves. A shady yard in Texas is priceless come summer! Go to Growers Outlet in Willis or Arbor Gate in Tomball for plant advice for a shady yard.

HU-673863879 thanked HU-232399493
  • vhamley
    3 years ago

Definitely leave the tree, but a good tree service can help with this and other trees on your lot. It will be money well-spent. It looks like there is a large root running towards the house, so you might want to talk with someone about a tree root wall to ensure it doesn’t affect your home’s foundation.
    The hedge on the left side of the house looks overwhelming since there is nothing to balance it on the right side. I would remove those bushes and do some research —or contact the nurseries suggested in the previous post—to find plants that would do well in your area. It might be interesting to have the bushes by the red oak incorporated into a large mulched bed where you could add some seasonal color to enhance your home’s curb appeal.
    I hope you enjoy your new home.
    The shutters aren’t adding anything to the home so I would remove them and focus on painting the trim and siding a color in the brick.

HU-673863879 thanked vhamley
  • amuzyczka
    3 years ago

Keep the tree! Lose the shutters. Square off and beef up the columns supporting the porch. I'd prefer a black front door with your brick color. Lose the oddly placed bushes in front of the tree and balance the rest of the landscaping. Congratulations on your new home.

HU-673863879 thanked amuzyczka
  • Wildcat Blue
    3 years ago

Leave the tree. Remove the shutters. Remove the row of shrubs next to the house. Beef up the porch columns. Paint the section above the brick, on the porch, the same color as the brick. Paint the front door a color to coordinate with the brick. Good luck!

HU-673863879 thanked Wildcat Blue
  • ashtonchic
    3 years ago

What a lovely house! For sure leave the tree. But take out shrubs in front of windows and take off shutters. Square up the columns and paint them and the rest of the trim in the dark color in the brick. I'd paint the siding the main beige color in the brick. I like the color of the shutters and would do the front door in that color.

HU-673863879 thanked ashtonchic
  • Karen Haynes
    3 years ago

I agree with other posts here. lose bushes in front of the oak. keep the oak, repaint the front door, and beef up the porch columns. Maybe paint them the same color as the door? Landscape in front of the porch to balance out the lovely shrubs on the left. Enjoy your new home!

HU-673863879 thanked Karen Haynes
  • Indecisiveness
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Leave the tree unless it’s unhealthy. Take out the brick/paver ring around the tree, it’s not level and detracts more than it adds.

Remove the shutters.

Repaint the front door a different color.

Change the trim color to one of the darker colors in the brick. Same for the painted siding.

Maybe change the front porch posts for something a little bigger.

Not sure if there’s a way to “clean” the roof?

Edge the driveway with brick/pavers so there’s a more definite line between the dirt driveway and grass.

HU-673863879 thanked Indecisiveness
  • PRO
    Bella Terra LLC Hydro-seed
    3 years ago

Lovely but leave the oak, remove tacky flowerbed ring, remove shutters. Have landscaper come in a place evergreen shrubs for interest to highlight windows not the brick. Bulk up porch posts and add modern planters to porch for interest. Paint trim. This house is great. Hire a design build landscaper and painter to work together for curb appeal.

HU-673863879 thanked Bella Terra LLC Hydro-seed
  • potter99
    3 years ago

Check that your roof is sound, if it needs replacing that will have the most impact on the colour palette for the remaining features. I don't mind the shutters, but agree with most - keep the oak lose the shrubs. Start with a fresh slate for your landscape with local advice. I also agree that beefing up the posts is an easy improvement. I'd also advise that the siding above the brick in the 'porch' should be a dark colour to add depth. Definitely look to the tone of the brick and roof to determine your overall palette.

HU-673863879 thanked potter99
  • HU-673863879
    Original Author
    3 years ago

appreciate all the ideas, I think we will be getting a new roof . So do I go with a light or darker brown ?

• lkloes
    3 years ago

Go with a dark roof, maybe the same color as your darkest bricks. You’ll have more flexibility that way in choosing a paint color for your house.

HU-673863879 thanked lkloes
  • Izzy Mn
    3 years ago

If your at a loss for paint colors for a brick house I found lots of inspiration when I googled color schemes for a brick house.

https://www.true-design-house.com/blog/2016/9/28/stunning-paint-colors-that-will-make-your-brick-exterior-beautiful?format=amp

HU-673863879 thanked Izzy Mn
  • suezbell
    3 years ago

Would keep the oak.

Do not put dirt against the trunk or fill in dirt between trunk and blocks -- it can eventually rot the trunk and roots and kill the tree over time. If, however, you're having to move those blocks each time you mow, consider just removing the blocks or adding enough blocks to enlarge the ring and bury the blocks so only the top of the blocks show. That way you can mow the leaves ... easier than raking them -- and use a mower that chops them or bags them or just mow them so they're consistently moved by the mower discharge out to a row by the road.

HU-673863879 thanked suezbell
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Oh those shutters need to go! (see the photo shop)

change your roof color to something darker. a warmer slate/brown would be fine.

an please change out those porch posts. wrap them in a white vinyl4x4, or change them out to cedar.

here are some color combos that should work w/the brick

I actually see a bit of plum/maroon tones in the brick. If you did a slate color roof tile, maybe a plum door, brought in the purple/eggplant shades for the flowerbeds, did a darker trim color, I think it would be pretty

If the brick is more brown/gray, try these colors.

HU-673863879 thanked Beth H. :
Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling