Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_penna31

Weird fleck in new white quartz

Mand or Mom
3 years ago

So my quartz arrived, and what I thought was dried sink glue (there were other yellowish brown spots I picked off - glue) is actually a very decidedly brown fleck in my sparkle white quartz. Are brown flecks like this anywhere on any sparkle white quartz you've seen????? Thank you all.

Comments (10)

• Mand or Mom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Mand or Mom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Mand or Mom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As you can see, it's definitely brown and not a dark gray or similar.

• kats737
    3 years ago

I would be disappointed with that. I would send pics to the mfr/installer. It may be possible for them to chip that out and replace it with some resin.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Well yeah, sometimes stone and fabricated stone can have some variations in it- one fleck isn't out of the question. Did you pick the slab that the countertop was cut from?

There's disclaimers for this reason that read like this:

"Buyer/Owner must determine slip resistance suitability and maintainability. Natural stones, ceramic, porcelain, vinyl, quartz and other engineered products represent products of nature or manufactured products with inherent variations; we cannot be held responsible in any cause of action resulting from their use in any form. M S International, Inc. makes no expressed or implied warranty, for any particular use. These products inherently lack uniformity and are subject to variation in aesthetics, color, shade, finish, tint, hardness, strength, resistance, density, etc. Some products may be characterized by dry seams, pits, and fossils. In polished and honed stones, these pits are often filled during the manufacturing process or at the time of installation. These fills can occasionally pop out from normal wear and use. In these instances, it may be necessary to refill these voids as part of a normal maintenance procedure. Any samples submitted are with the understanding that these qualities are inherent in the nature of the product and are not to be considered latent defects. Mosaic with metal are not recommended for use around heavy water areas including tubs, shower surrounds, pools, spas, and any other exterior application. After installation vendor disclaims any liabilities. Mosaic tiles can be cleaned using warm water and a cloth. For deeper cleaning a mild detergent or glass cleaner can be used. Do not use abrasive sponges or cleaning agents with strong chemicals as this may harm the metal mosaics."

• Mand or Mom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is there no way to tag a Houzz user to bring this post to their attention? I'm ***really*** hoping Joseph Corlett sees this as I've been browsing quartz issues and from his comments he's clearly an expert. Someone please help me get this to Joseph?!?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

He will be along if not tonite, tomorrow am for sure.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

It's an easy fix.

• Mand or Mom
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Really? The fabricators are saying there's nothing they are willing to do. I'm so upset. I know it sounds dramatic, but we saved 11 years for this bath reno and this is already the second top they've brought. The first was cut so badly there was room for an entire shim along the wall line. They took that piece (which didn't have a brown fleck) back and sent this, and it really stands out to me. They're insisting these flecks are "all over" the color I chose, so I called and emailed the supplier and even visited the supplier - who I happen to be using in my granite search for my kitchen - and the supplier said it's not the case and they don't understand why the fabricator didn't plan to adjust and cut it out. The fabricator has a terrible attitude and I'm assuming since this is a "small potato" job for them just doesn't care. If there's an easy fix, can you possibly recommend someone you know and trust in NJ?

Should I push back and demand a new piece or for them to fix it? I'm just so annoyed because if they didn't botch piece 1 this piece wouldn't even be here. Btw, botched piece 1 was a drama to get out, even with me standing there with a shim in the jagged cut along the wall. They were telling me my wall is crooked. Second template they somehow realized my wall isn't crooked. I just don't see these people as helping without a fight. Thank you for any of your valuable insight!!!

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Resin pooling. Not considered a flaw by any manufacturer, so not actionable. Yes, it can be drilled and filled. Probably for a fee, since there’s not a lot of goodwill there.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!