saunders_rachel_l

Outlet in the way of backsplash and mirror- can't move- what to do??

Rachel Saunders

Hi! So we had planned on having a mirror with sconces mounted that ran all the way down to the vanity and was flush with the counter (not wall to wall). The electrician had all the outlets outside of the bathroom so I told him they should be near the vanity and he placed them all in an area that prevents the mirror from running down, without looking funny. I asked him how much to move the outlet and he said 500- so it's not an option. Would you have a marble backsplash made that just stops flush with the counter that cuts out for the outlet and have the mirror mounted above? Have the mirror go wall to wall (seems outdated)? I'm so lost what to do.

K and K Designs

Hi Rachel

Yes, you can have the marble counter cut and have the outlet set inside. Depending on your budget and look, this can also be an opportunity to create more of a feature wall with floor to ceiling tile or fancy wallpaper for a more luxurious look. The feature wall would help the outlets fade into the background as it draws your eyes up to the design.

• Rachel Saunders

Oh do you have an example? I just need to visualize what you’re suggesting. How would the mirror fit in?

K and K Designs

K and K Designs

Wall paper is of course less expensive and you have so many more options in terms of color and design to choose from. It's also easy to apply and if you don't like it there is no damage to your walls. I suggest going with a peel and stick option that you can buy on Etsy, Michaels, and most hardware stores.

Skippack Tile & Stone

The mirror should have covered the sinks; the sconces were placed wrong. You'll have a mirror that's centered between the scones and not the sinks.

• Tara

you could have the mirror cut to fit in the outlets. a good glass cutter can do it.

• sbulley

I would check the electrical codes where you live. Both electric outlet boxes appear too close to your faucets/ water. That may convince/ensure your electrician has to relocate them.

• suedonim75

I believe they have to be a foot away from the sink. And the one next to the light switch shouldn't that also be a GFI switch?

Debbi Washburn

Can you measure this ?? It looks like the sconces are mounted equally with the sides of the sinks. Or it is my tired eyes and the angle of the picture.

I also agree about that outlet by the left sink.....

Here is a picture of an outlet cut into a Mirror