Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenjwan

Seeking Karelia Brazilian cherry single plank

kenjwan
3 years ago

Hey everyone. I was hoping for some help. I have Karelia Brazilian cherry floors in my condo. I have some water damage due to a leak from an air conditioner. Unfortunately, Karelia no longer makes Brazilian cherry hardwood floors. I was hoping to source some spare boxes that people might have lying around from previous installation. Alternatively, if anyone has any suggestions on how I could repair these floors, I would love to hear some options. The damage is in the seams between planks. There is some staining and of course, the surface has cracked. I don’t believe a refinishing will help.

Comments (14)

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Photos please. Most Brazilian Cherry (aka. Jatoba) is sold as solid factory finished. That's completely normal. The refinish may be a very good option....depending on what your photos show us.

How long ago did the A/C accident happen? How much water hit the floor? How long did it sit there? What did you do to remove the water from the floor/air?

• kenjwan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It happened a few years ago so I can’t recall how long the water would have sat for but it would have been at least overnight. When I realized what had happened, are used some towels to dry off as much as I could and then it air dried. Some of the wood has deformed along the edge a bit and the seam has expanded slightly. I realize the refinishing might make it look better but I definitely don’t think it would fix the problem. Also, I would need to refinish the entire surface of my place so it’s a pretty big endeavor.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Ok...So this is quite old. You could use someone else's Jatoba. There are plenty of companies that sell it ('LL always has a version). What you do is find same thickness and same width as yours.

Be aware that Jatoba looks like a soft brown out of the box. It can take up to a year for it to turn "fiery" in colour. Live with it.

Jatoba darkens and gains more colour when it is exposed to UV.

• kenjwan
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yeah, the problem is Karelia has a unique locking system. It's also a floating floor so the challenge is finding pieces that match in size, finish, etc.

I'm open to other options that will allow for a decent match but the challenge would then be how to get it locked in place with the existing flooring.

Obviously, finding the exact match (hoping to source other people's spares if possible) would be optimal and the easiest. I had spares but due to an installation &*%#-up, they had to be used to fix. I should have demanded the installer replace my spares but I was just glad to have it all finished at the time. :(

I'm also open to options for repairing the damage somehow (sanding down the edges and patching with filler strips of Jatoba but I'm not sure if this can be done or how complicated it might be to do. That's why I was hoping for some suggestions.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

The click mechanism is not important. They flooring pro will cut out the plank, then trim the replacement by removing two (out of 4) edges and then use glue to hold the plank in place. It's a 1 hour job (at most). It will most likely run into the 'minimum job costs' for your area (2-4 hours at $50/hr...is the going rate).

Please up load a photo of your problem. Right now we are only guessing.

• kenjwan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

You need more than a plank. You need a box...Or two. The repair is bigger than you think.

• kenjwan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh I know. I’m looking for a couple boxes.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

The 'black' in the first picture indicates rot that is ?coming from below? What is underneath the wood? Is it concrete subfloor or is it concrete?

I have a feeling the rot could be more extensive that what you are seeing on the surface.

• kenjwan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s concrete. So, do you think an alternative jatoba single plank would work? I’m concerned with matching the finish, which is a satin texture.

thanks for your input.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

You will need to make that decision on your own. If I'm correct the rot is more than you can see on the surface. You won't know how much floor needs replacing until you start pulling up the planks.

Essentially you will pull a plank and inspect the bottom. Every plank that shows the black or Gray tones you will pull the next plank around it. To will continue culling planks until you end up with a full row/section that are completely free of damage.

Since water loves to run underneath things (because gravity works) you will need to be prepared for a large swath of flooring that needs replacing.

Gloss level may be the least of your worries.

• kenjwan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay, thanks for the input. It wasn't that much water so I'm not concerned about it being pooled underneath. It just sat on top for too long!

• millworkman
    3 years ago

SJ was speaking of the water more than likely coming thru the slab from below.

• kenjwan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, i know where the water was from. Completely from the top and it just sat too long.