Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orlan

kitchen cabinet too dark. Suggestion to make more modern look

orlan
10 years ago
We are considering buying this condo but the kitchen cabinets (Snaidero, Certoza) looks too serious and dark for our modern taste. Any suggestion to change the color or new cabinets without it tearing all down ?

Comments (45)

• Ann
    10 years ago
    I think they're nice and fine for modern taste.
  • vjs12
    10 years ago
    The cabinets are beautiful. It looks modern with the ss handles, granite and ss hood. I love it the way it is....
  • Kris G
    10 years ago
    These are lovely high end cabinets and would be a shame to paint, IMHO. Perhaps with your personal belongings they would not look so dark to you? They certainly do not look it in the photos.
  • walrissa
    10 years ago
    Those are gorgeous. I wouldn't touch them, just decorate with your own things.
  • suehacken
    10 years ago
    There is nothing as warm and beautiful as dark rich wood. Use brighter things, if you want on counters but don't touch those cabinets, ever!
    Suzie
  • Marisol Martinez
    10 years ago
    Leave them alone. Beautiful the way they are they look modern however if you want to change the hardware.... But it think they are just fine.i wouldn't touch anything
  • mmers
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't change them at all - and this is coming from someone who loves white or cream in the kitchen. But these are quite beautiful!
  • orlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank u all for the comments, and I also agree they are beautiful. Will probably keep them intact.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with everyone. Those cabinets should not be painted. They are lovely now, and the contrast of the light granite and backsplash are well chosen.
  • krismark0
    10 years ago
    Beautiful cabinets, but boring surroundings. it looks like you have room for some nice artwork above them. Or maybe something the draw the eye more toward the counter area.
    orlan thanked krismark0
  • regina5697
    10 years ago
    Please don't paint them. They're very modern and classic at the same time. Enjoy them!
  • designideas4me
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you tear them down in one piece I will buy them from you for real.
  • Jean O
    10 years ago
    I think your cabinets are beautiful, and you shouldn't touch them. Maybe add decorations or paint the kitchen to make them "pop"...
  • Cynthia Celenza
    10 years ago
    The cabinets are modern. The hardware is perfect. Maybe splashes of color is the answer? Vivid kitchen accessories? Artwork? What is favorite color? Bring it on!
  • Marci
    10 years ago
    Just chiming in to say that your kitchen is beautiful and functional. I see turquoise accents really popping against the cabinets.

Good luck in your new home!
    orlan thanked Marci
  • litehearted
    10 years ago
    Lovely kitchen, I am envious. My suggestion:
    a) Paint the units housing the wall oven the same colour as the wall so it blends in.
    b) Paint the upper cabinets in the rest of the kitchen a light colour that pleases you {and is in keeping with your colour scheme elsewhere in term of furnishings and accents}
    c) Leave the lower units the original colour for some POP

You can experiment and change if it doesn't work out. Or you can hire a firm to upload the current scheme in some 3D modeling software and experiment that way. :)
    orlan thanked litehearted
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    These are very modern cabinets, love them!
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    your kitchen already looks modern to me and the dark cabinets are part of what it makes it modern. Though I guess you can opt to make them grey for a less darker look.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Looks great, but I bet a more interesting color on the walls would make them show for what they are. Take a look at BM Stratton Blue. It is a color which is just as rich as the finish on your cabinets.
  • User
    10 years ago
    In addition to painting the walls as suggested above, you could change your faucet to a more contemporary design. That is the only thing that reads traditional to me.
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    I would leave the cupboards as they are. You are PAYING for them so if you don't like them buy another place
  • moniqu17
    10 years ago
    I really like the cabinets and think they look modern. The faucet is quite traditional, but easy to change to something more modern. Also, you could always change the backsplash which might change the feel of the kitchen.
  • Marina Ferrante
    10 years ago
    I would put frosted glass to all wall cabinets - it would lighten up and modernize you kitchen.
  • PRO
    Eye 4 Color Designs/Paint Smart Studio
    10 years ago
    I advise against the frosted upper cabinet doors, this is a trend and probably on it's way out soon if not already. Move your furnishings in and live with the kitchen as is for a while. See if you don't feel differently about the design. This kitchen is beautifully appointed, sophisticated, streamline, classic and timeless. It will age well over time and this is definitely important.
  • designideas4me
    10 years ago
    Someone used the word "cupboard" and I just had to look it up because its a word I dont hear much and had to know the difference between that and a cabinet...so just for fun if you want to know..here is a link........ http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-cupboard-and-a-cabinet.htm
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- The cabinets are beautiful and very modern so I hope you don't change those -- that would be a shame . The problem I see is the counter tops . If you change anything it should be those . A nice whiter quartz would look a lot better and add to the modern look.
  • cybelle2014
    10 years ago
    If anything, I would go for a colour change on the kitchen walls. To make the cupboards not stand out so much, I would go for a little darker shade of sage; just on the walls surrounding the cupboards. The floor could be lightened to the same lightest colour in the counter to reflect light to make the bottom cupboards look lighter.
  • usergray
    10 years ago
    I think your cabinets are beautiful. I think the 'dowdyness' your picking up on is that your walls are letting your down. Hard to suggest a colour w/o seeing the other views. 2nd stage would be countertops and backsplash....but not the cabinets.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    To make them "your" cabinets why not change the pulls and maybe add a backsplash. The backsplash could either coordinate with the rest of the space or add a "POP" of color.
  • kathyhornbeak
    10 years ago
    I would add more ceiling lights!The cabinets are very pretty!Just add some contrasting color to the room!
  • Hillary Moers
    10 years ago
    I think it is probably a dark condo unit.... not the cabinets.
  • PRO
    Artrageous-ART.com
    10 years ago
    I think the cabinets are really nice, maybe you just need to change the wall color. Perhaps a nice taupe or grey on the walls.
  • PRO
    A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
    10 years ago
    I think these cabinets and the color are pretty modern. If you want to highlight their modern features, you may add a stainless steel backsplash. See images below for an examples I found online. Change out that traditional looking faucet for a more modern one. Or you can even add a whole stainless steel sink cabinet. We sell them all the time. The countertop, sink and cabinet are all one unit, and even come with a trash bin. You can find them here: http://www.directsinks.com/shop-by-brand/dawn-kitchen-bath-products/cabinets.html
  • PRO
    Cure Design Group
    10 years ago
    I agree that they are beautiful, adding a glass tile back splash should help with adding more of a modern aesthetic, Good Luck!
  • PRO
    A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
    10 years ago
    Here's pictures of that stainless steel cabinet by the way....
  • americandreamdyn
    10 years ago
    The cabinets are perfect. Modern & classic. Not dark at all.
    The back splash looks light already so there's no reason to get rid of it & risk damaging your cabinets.
    The walls are boring. I suggest adding paint. I love light green & it goes well with brown & white.
  • americandreamdyn
    10 years ago
    My cabinets are the same color as the ones in the Condo.
    This is how bright & cheery the green looks. I feel happy around this color.
  • americandreamdyn
    10 years ago
    If you click on the pictures they will enlarge. I bought the Pantone Universe paint at Lowe's hardware store. Even in bright light & shadows it looks great & matches every color!

Here's some more pictures to show how well this green looks with every color.
    Pantone Universe color: Palm
  • Gloria Kim
    10 years ago
    Wow!!! Gorgeous cabinets. Don't touch them.
    Replace faucet and get a stainless steel knife block. Keep counter as clear of clutter as possible for that more minimalist modern look.
  • PRO
    SL Design
    10 years ago
    I agree with everybody else, and even more so as I am Italian :-)
    You are lucky to have found Snaidero cabinets.
    For sure change the faucet with a contemporary stainless steel one.
    You could also change the splash with stainless steel tiles (also Italian, by Sicis) or a contemporary textured white tile (check out Ann Sacks)
    Stay away from glass and stone mosaic for the splash as they are now all over Home Depot and will cheapen the look.
    Another thought is that if you want to lighten things up you could probably just order new doors for the upper cabinets. The dimensions and the hinges should be standard.
    Here are a couple of pictures from a Snaidero kitchen we designed a couple of years ago where we used glass doors on part of the uppers.
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    10 years ago
    I think they look modern and great the way they are. However you can always paint them.
    But before you do that I suggest you change the back splash first with something more modern to see if that changes your mind.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    9 years ago
    I concur with the others. Snaidero is a high end contemporary kitchen manufacturer. Paint will only cheapen it. The walls are begging for contemporary art; perhaps that can work for you. The cabinetry should be a quiet backdrop which it is. If this does not work for you....Perhaps consider another condo for less money with a teardown kitchen and you can do whatever you are envisioning.
  • Robert Chickey
    7 years ago

Paint the walls are a darker color. Then the cabinets will not visually appear to have such a contrast as they originally presented.

• cineus
    7 years ago
    They are beautiful. I think hardware is contemporary enough.
    Just add accessories. Don't paint them. Don't change them.
    Add you own touches.