Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crb1262

36” induction cooktop dilemma - GE profile backordered

crb1262
3 years ago

I’d like to get feedback from anyone who owns any 36” induction cooktop from GE (Profile, Cafe or Monogram), Kitchenaid Architect Series, Frigidaire Gallery Series, or Viking. I’m in the middle of a renovation and cabinets are due this coming Monday. I ordered a GE Profile 36” induction cooktop in August and still no sign of it being available. I need to make a decision now or wait indefinitely with a non-functional kitchen....

The other manufacturers I’m inquiring about are available. I really wanted induction for ease of cleaning but if real life application is no better than radiant, I will probably go with 36” GE radiant. Thanks in advance for any replies,

Comments (12)

• crb1262
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you own either brand? I’m trying to get feedback on real life application. So many manufactures rave about performance and cleaning but I’ve come across reviews that are less than stellar. If I’m swapping out the profile, I need to go with something available now. Bosche and Miele were not options my dealer offered. I’ll make some calls to other dealers to see what options are out there. Thanks!

• kaseki
    3 years ago

I have a Frigidaire Gallery ca. 2015. Works great. Induction has the cleanability of glass with the control of gas. Typically there is more heating power than gas. Minimum power is also lower than typical with gas. Spills can be wiped up immediately.

The cooktop becomes only modestly hot; barely hot if one uses silicone spacers under pans. This can be a safety advantage.

The Frigidaire 36-inch requires one of the larger cut-out sizes, and once one cuts a hole out of a countertop, going to a different brand replacement unit in the future requiring a smaller cut-out will often require a frame for support. You should download the installation directions for candidate induction cooktops and ensure that the design of your cabinets above and below conform to requirements. The base cabinet may need to be a 42-inch size.

Induction does require some part of a pan's base to have sufficient magnetic susceptibility. Such pans nowadays are labeled induction ready and can be checked using a magnet.

• rmsaustin
    3 years ago

If your dealer doesn't carry Bosch, Miele or Wolf, go to another dealer? I have a Wolf 36 induction that I am very happy with. As for Bosch and Miele - others on this site rave about them.

As Kaseki mentions, if you have already ordered cabinets/drawer stacks, you should make sure whatever you switch to will fit with your configuration. I know that one of the reasons that I went with the Wolf was because I was replacing a Bertazzoni unit and wanted to preserve the use of the drawer directly below the cooktop -- the Wolf is less than 3" and did not require a lot of additional clearance - some induction models required more space (vertically) than others. The GE models are both more than 4 1/2" and require another 3" of vertical space, so if you have already designed for that unit, I don't think other units will be problematic.

To your thought about just getting radiant -- don't do it. Induction is so much better (and vastly different) than radiant. Yes they both are easier to clean than a gas cooktop, but the similarity stops there.

I'm sorry you can't get the GE -- the monogram silver/stainless is so pretty and the configuration of hobs on the GE makes sense to me. Have you tried to get the unit through a different source?

Good luck!

• Kate
    3 years ago

I’ve had my Bosch induction cooktop for 5 years and love it.

• crb1262
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I am holding out for a few more weeks with fingers crossed that the profile ships.

• Charles Moore
    3 years ago

They are all on back order. I was told 15 weeks for thermadore from January 1. Ordered a second from Lowe’s (Bosch) and they won’t give a delivery date.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

AJ Madison has the GE ProfilePHP9036SJSS and its website says that it can be delivered as soon as 2/2-2/3 (based on delivery to DC and an order placed by midnight 1/30). There are three other 36" quick-ship models.

• AGN
    3 years ago

curious if you received your 36” GE induction cooktop yet. I ordered the Cafe version on 8/17 and no sign of it 7 months later.. I am wondering if they are even manufacturing them still!

• wdccruise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@AGNAppliances Connection has several 36" induction cooktops in stock. No GE Appliances cooktop is among them, however. Out of curiosity I checked Best Buy: It had no 36" induction cooktops available now.

• Frank Garofalo
    3 years ago

Same cooktop similar situation I finally cancelled my order and simply went with the Viking 36 inch induction cooktop. It was either that or ZLine

• crb1262
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry, haven’t looked at comments for a while. I went with the 36” GE profile radiant cooktop. I couldn’t hold off making the decision so I went for it. I’ve been cooking on radiant for the last 12 years so no surprises. If I ever decide to go for induction the future, the cut out will be the same. I’m satisfied for now.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz