daquinfr

wall color for my living room.

I want to do something in a good family but don’t want to end up with that Tuscan look that all my Italian family seems to use. I want something younger and fresher. I also plan to buy a nice area rug for the space. The terra-cotta/gold couch Dorset Gold from Benjamin Moore, but I am afraid it looks too mustard. Any advice would be appreciated. I feel frozen for years. The color on the wall now is peach..hate it.

• Theresa Janssen

I think the secretary works in that spot just great. I would just now turn the striped chair inward so its not looking toward the railing, have it angled looking toward the seating area and secretary. just needs a shift. the back of it should be shifted toward the railing. it looks fabulous together, IMO. I wouldnt want to get rid of the secretary either, its a beautiful piece. yes. totally use pieces you have around the house in different ways. love the plant stands, would need to see the green one in the room with the furniture.. may be too turquoisie perhaps? definitely a beautiful plant in the white one. green will be gorgeous. I would have the orchid probably on the coffee table. since its tall, I think you would have 3 tall objects on the credenza if you put it there and to me too many tall. I'd put something shorter in front of the mirror on the credenza. could be perhaps two or three stacked pretty boxes. or perhaps a pretty bowl, something you may have stored and want to get out??? yes, getting to the nitty gritty details... makes a difference for sure. do you have, by chance any coffee table books? one or two stacked could go on the coffee table too with the orchid and then possibly one more object for a grouping of three. looked like you had some type of game on the coffee table perhaps, that with the orchid and one more object would also work, again a couple stacked boxes to have multiple heights. just some ideas.

• salonva

@Theresa Janssen I just spent like 2 minutes on that website and it's really really nice. (and relatively reasonable). I will end up not taking action of course, but I will likely spend some pleasant time perusing. Who knows, I could eventually buy something too!

But seriously what a very nice site that is. (artfullywalls)

thanks

Need help finding a wall color for my living/dining room area

Here are a couple of examples from the Houzz archives: [houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/1512-dolphin-terrace-beach-style-living-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~235541] [houzz=] Most of the pictures I looked at had either grey or white walls, doesn't exactly summon up what I would consider "cozy". If you like turquiose, in a lighter shade I think you'd be ok with that.

Wall color for my living room

I am still in the redecorating process so the end tables, coffee table, lamps and pillows are not what I will have long term. Those are from my last living room set. I plan to change the lamps to some with drum shades, paint the coffee table (not sure on a color yet) and switch the end tables out to something a bit smaller. The pillows will still be bright colors, but in fun prints. I really love the eclectic feel and want it to be fun and bright :)

@@@@what color should we paint in the living room walls?? @@@@@

Can please include a photo of your furnishings?

Need color advice to tranform my living room and kitchen.

To keep the rustic idea and work with your warm tones, you might consider additional possibilities as accent colors, such as blues, greens or taupes. See Houzz Photos under "rustic living room" for color combos you love. You might consider starting out with an area rug or artwork, once you settle on the color combination, and get the wall paint matched to it.
  • Amanda Smith

I preferred the look of the window without the secretary....it looks dark and crowded now to me. Maybe put a fern in the white planter and put it in the window. Orchids would probably look nice in the window...

• Carolae

Have you considered trying the floor plan that Beverly (who is a pro) posted earlier in this thread? I’m posting a screen shot since her post was so far back- look at the bottom arrangement. The secretary can stay where you have it now. You could put plants in front of the bay window, which can be easily moved for your Christmas tree.

• Carolae

Another advantage to the above floor plan is that you will see the front of your beautiful chairs more easily when you walk into your living room :)

• Amanda Smith

That was the original floor plan.

• Theresa Janssen

Salonva, I can spend hours looking at art. love art with a playful aspect to it... brings uniqueness to a room.

• Theresa Janssen

I'm looking at your accessories and see a pretty coffee table book, is it one of italy?

• Carolae

That wasn’t how Frances had her furniture placed as seen in her original post.

• everdebz

Could be that with one modern/ geometric item, the rug, that one more prominent item should be also - art.... as a balance of sorts?

• Theresa Janssen

Frances, another art idea that is more calming I would say... brings out greens from your chairs. completely different feeling. prints by artist phil greenwood and they on art.com. so many ways to go with art...

• Frances D'Aquino

Theresa, I will play around with the furniture placement near the window again. I do wish to keep it near the window but it is just not right. Like ai said, I will play around a bit more with it.

The art sites you gave me are great and I like the green art selections as well. I think I want to finish, breath, paint and then decide on art. I will be browsing and considering things the entire time. Love this fun pieces.

Amanda, I am considering putting it back. I caddy cornered it today and it did not look bad. I will keep playing. When it is right, i will feel it.

Carole, that floor plan did not work well when I actually tried it. Also, I now have the addition of the credenza which I love facing the window. It is sort of the focal point of the room, especially when coming up the stairs. The stiped chair seemed to big and clumsy in that spot. The antique chairs set up on the side were to tight. The room is 22 width and only 13 wide. Also, wIth all the pattern in the room, I actually find the cream furniture backs refreshing. But thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you everyone for all your help. Will send my pictures tomorrow. My velvet pillows arrived today. They are gorgeous. I am expecting the leopard ones in a few days. My lamps are coming very soon! More to come.

• Theresa Janssen

its all about tweeking... you'll get it perfect i am sure.

• Frances D'Aquino

Theresa, I could not go to bed without trying it! You are truly brilliant. As soon as I rotated the chair, it felt right. Amanda, I think you will agree. I think I am going to add a bar cart to the left side of the credenza. I attached a picture which inspired me. Also showing you a few more details.

• Theresa Janssen

love it!!!! you are too cute for saying that. I play around with how my furniture is placed so much and new it would get there, it just takes tweeking. you are such trooper for moving stuff around so much. yes on new placement of planter, perfect!!! bar cart yes too!!! what gourgesness. pillows look awesome too.... just OMG!!!

• Frances D'Aquino

Thank you ❤️🥰🤩😘

• Amanda Smith

Frances, it’s all coming together beautifully! I love what you did in the bay window. The new pillows are beautiful. I think a bar cart would be great!

• Theresa Janssen

does the zigzag pillow have gray in it or is it olive. I was originally thinking it was olive, but now it looks gray?

• Frances D'Aquino

It is olive in the pillow. I am looking at Revere Pewter as a wall color. Someone had recommended early on and I liked it. I am so sick of looking at Benjamin Moore Inner Peach, I can’t wait to cover it up. My fear on the Revere Pewter is that it will look minty...maybe too much green. After doing the pastel peach, I don’t want it to look Pastel mint green. Going to order the swatches. It is time. These are the colors I was planing to test along with the Revere Pewter. Let me know if there is anything I am missing. This is were I really get scared. I hate this kind of commitment, lol

• Theresa Janssen

I have revere pewter in some areas of my house. doesn't have green in it to me.... does change color in different light from soft grey to soft beige off white. Flo is the color expert and she can help with determining right colors. those look like a great start to me.

• Jennifer Hogan

Revere Pewter would be beautiful. It does have a subtle green undertone. All grays have some level of undertone - blue, green or purple and all beige's have some level of undertone, pink, orange, gold, yellow or green. The right undertone for with your furnishings is green. Revere Pewter does not have enough green to go minty. It is a true greige (between green gray and green beige).

Flo Mangan

I would not recommend Revere Pewter for your room. It will be too dark. With your rug, I want to look at other choices for you. Be back tomorrow.

• Jennifer Hogan

I am going to respectfully disagree. With the bold color sofa you need some depth to the wall color - white/off white will be too much contrast.

Look at this living room and imagine your sofa in this room. I think it would be warm and welcoming.

• Sharon

Hi Frances, your room is looking so nice! And it is interesting with the combo of the pieces you owned and the new items blended in. Look at the bar cart pic again and notice the wall color. It looks so fresh and glamorous. I think you should aim for that look. It'll help all your furniture to pop, not blend in to the walls. I updated my LR paint color recently and now wish I had gone lighter and less beige. Just my 2¢! Glad you are enjoying this process, Good for you! (on some of these threads you see people agonize over every tiny detail for months on end and that's too stressful! 😜)

• Aphaea

Following.

Flo Mangan

In looking for good color I have picked an interesting color to go with your reds, golds, and new rug.

Flo Mangan

Of course, you need samples to see what any color does in your room with your light.

• MarleneM

Frances. Your room is looking great so far! I have a paint colour suggestion you may want to check out. BM Elmira White. On BM site the coordinating colours are your colours!

• Theresa Janssen

a couple examples of rooms with lighter walls and bolder furniture pieces. to me, lighter walls help update and modernize.

Home in HIckory · More Info

Updated Traditional: Living Room · More Info

• Frances D'Aquino

I will add all the recommendations to my list, but I must admit I am craving a lighter color. What we need to consider, I think, is that It is a low light side of my house so the sun does not hit here until 2 or 3 pm. I will have a good amount of time to see how these colors play in my space. Thank you all for your recommendations.

Flo Mangan

With low light, definitely go lighter. It will really lift up your room to a new level. Coming along great. I just had our new (to us) house painted SW Alabaster walls with bright white trim. Except dining room which is BM Van Deusen Blue in Matte finish. It turned out beautiful. At night the Alabaster has a very soft, warm glow. Check that out too. Sneak peak pictures.

• Jennifer Hogan

I don't understand why so many people think white lightens a dark room. It simply isn't true. The only time white looks bright and beautiful is when there is a ton of light.

By definition white reflects light. Without light what can it do other than sit on the walls looking drab and shadowed.

Using neutrals and colors with higher chroma and lower LRVs bring poorly lit rooms to life.

Flo Mangan

It’s the feeling of a space that I find most important in designing spaces. Lighting is a key factor that many pay scant attention too. So getting that client or myself a great feeling is key.

• C

Light to medium yellow is only real option, it will brighten room and also match couch. Color of couch is really limiting your color choices.

• Frances D'Aquino

I will add all the recommendations to my list, but I must admit I am craving a lighter color. What we need to consider, I think, is that It is a low light side of my house so the sun does not hit here until 2 or 3 pm. I will have a good amount of time to see how these colors play in my space. Thank you all for your recommendations.MarleneM

• Frances D'Aquino

Ignore the post before this one

• Frances D'Aquino

MarleneM, I gotta tell you I am liking the Elmira White. I wonder how it would work in a low light room. I also like the color Mayonnaise. Flo...would love your input too.

• MarleneM

Frances, BM Elmira White has an LRV of around 65, and I don’t feel it would be too dark. I think you do need a wall colour with some depth to it considering the rich colours of your furniture.
    Im including a couple of photos of Elmira White in Livingrooms. The Jonathan Adler room, isn’t it to die for?, doesn’t state wall colour but I think it’s close and the trim is all painted same which you said you’d painter does.

Flo Mangan

Spent 15 hours moving today so my color gene is fried. I will check out Elmira for you tomorrow although I plan to sleep in as late as I can!!

• Frances D'Aquino

Flo...your space must be is gorgeous. I can’t imagine how much hard work it will take to get settled. I wish I could help. It will all be worth it in the end.

• Theresa Janssen

I saw these greige examples of benjamin moore and liked how you can see the shades of ighter and darker... looks like revere pewter is a bit darker than elmira white. I mentioned i have revere pewter, but i also have Edgecomb grey in my living room, kitchen and entry way. its lighter than revere pewter and thought I would show how it looks in my house. it might be another example to try too. I like it a lot in my home.

• Frances D'Aquino

Theresa, This is a beautiful shade. Just looked at lots of images and I like it. Going to make up a list today and start ordering samples.

• Theresa Janssen

just checking in frances to see if any new developments? have your other pillows or lamps arrived?

• Frances D'Aquino

Theresa, No animal print pillows yet...lamps are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I will let you know as soon as I have them.

• Frances D'Aquino
    yesterday

I am beside myself. The lamps are perfection! I really feel it completes the setup. I only have 40 watt bulbs. I am heading to the lighting store tomorrow. Going to change all my bulbs to white light instead of the yellow light bulbs. I don’t remember who made that suggestion to me early on but I heard you. Now all I need is artwork, my leopard pillows (were are you), a paint job and accessories. And the story continues. My niece is a florist and will make me a silk arrangement for my coffee table. I want orchids in a big pot. Just ignore the left corner for now. I may get that bar cart. Saw a few in an antique store...I am considering one which is brass and lucite.

• Theresa Janssen
    yesterday

they are absolute perfection. love love love. I bet you just keep staring at it! and for the bar cart, sounds just perfect...lucite, hello yessss

• Amanda Smith
    yesterday

Beautiful!

• everdebz
    yesterday

Nice. Question about current paint color - is it good blend with flooring? If walls had a dip of gold, just to ask, would the room become too same?

• Frances D'Aquino
    yesterday

Everdebz. I am putting together a list of color swatches I want to order. I will run it by this thread before I place the order. The color paint is inner peach by Benjamin Moore. I hate it. My floors are unstained maple. I don’t want anymore gold. Looking to compliment my bold furniture and show it off.

• Theresa Janssen
    yesterday

I saw this grouping of art on etsy and thought it would work in your living room. again, a very different feel, very traditional. I get you may not be ready for art yet, but just wanted to show... the art is digital downloads so you would frame yourself...