Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

Am I the only one with a list of of hostas already ordered?

djacob Z6a SE WI
3 years ago

I was able to order some of the hostas I was looking for, but I started finding other hostas that I liked as well. I ordered from Naylors, Plant Delights Nursery, Hornbakers, Uniquely Hostas and Maple Creek.

Steve, you asked for a list, so here goes:

Amalia

Boyz Toys

Parisian Silk ( have admired this for several years)

Skywriter

Tickle me Pink — someone’s picture of this one put it on my list

Crazy Mouse

Designer Genes

Tatoo

Orange Marmalade

Prairie Moon

Sting (could not find Sharp Dressed Man)

Brother Stefan

El Nino

Lemon Love Note

Oh My Heart

Zuzu’s Petals

Ruffled Mouse Ears

Not sure where they are going to go yet..........lololol

debra

Comments (24)

• frankielynnsie
    3 years ago

OH WOW! You are really anticipating spring. I ordered some seeds and caladiums last week and bought some shade plants from the big box stores but no new hosta. I usually go to the hosta nursery in April and spend more money than I planned on.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked frankielynnsie
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am so bored while I recover from hip surgery that I had to entertain myself somehow........lol

debra

• kevj2596
    3 years ago

I’m getting pretty antsy for spring as well

Aztec treasure

Faith

Glacial towers

Leapin lizard

Magic fire

Pewter goblet

Sapphire pillows

Sugar snap

Sunset grooves

Lakeside keepsake

Fruit loop

Island breeze

Mighty mouse

Mini skirt

Summer breeze

Gunthers prize

GL aftershock

GL banana tree

Breeders love

GL Yellowstone

Sun power

American prayers

Rosedale golden goose

Midas touch

I‘be been looking for sharp dressed man as well after seeing it at our local universitiy’s Hosta garden. No luck yet

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked kevj2596
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I needed some retail therapy a couple weeks ago and ordered these.

Road Rage Hosta - so ugly I had to have it
    Mount Tom Hosta
    Brother Stefan Hosta - so pretty this is my second one
    St. Paul Hosta
    Ivory Necklace Hosta

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • miles10612
    3 years ago

Ordered some from Green Hills--the club deal was too good to pass up and a Tokudama A from whomever had it for sale--I got the message on this board from undertheoaks that it was available. Of course I had already bought 2 Blue Shadows instead of it last August but how can I pass up the opportunity to buy it now? I am looking at some hostas at LOG, Giantland Karma and Giantland Misty or American Misty (that I could never get at Wade & Gatton) and maybe a Cat in the Hat. But now Steve tells me that there's a place called Maple River, oh dear how did I never hear of that place and the prices are soooo low so I guess I will be buying from there and so it continues. . . Of course I am running out of space but there's always room for more. We also do this with daylilies but I won't discuss that here.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked miles10612
  • frankielynnsie
    3 years ago

Went to check out the Maple River site and succombed to the hosta fever. They do have great prices. Many of those I wanted were sold out so next year I need to get an earlier start.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked frankielynnsie
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow everyone, I am not the only one that has the fever! Steve, I thought maybe I would give you a run for your money........guess not

betsy, Road Rage is one I have to look up

miles, LOTG has great quality plants

frankie, I am afraid to go to Maple River........not sure I can afford more......lol

debra

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 years ago

I keep saying I'm running out of room, but I still buy more hostas. I know you all understand how that goes. This year I tried Hornbakers for the first time.

Rebecca

Rowan my Boat

Sara's Sensation

Smash Hit

Sting

Sunset Grooves

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

Great choices Sandy (since I grow 3 of those and I think one of the others is a look-alike). Sunset Grooves is on my radar after seeing them in the alphabet and I am resisting the urge to look up Rebecca. Seeing War Paint (I've seen it before) in the recent alphabet led me to looking for it. Hmm, seems cheaper than it used to be. I always thought I didn't want the temporary look, but since Niagara Falls is such a beauty, and I don't have that, why not? Then I found it even cheaper. Hmm what else do they have? Well, these I suppose:

War Paint

Naked Lady - like Hanky Panky without the color switch. I like the early Hanky Panky colors.

Devon Cloud - $10 less than the one I was thinking about getting, yes please. Who cares if it looks like Invincible later, I don't have invincible. Another two for one.

Prime Meridian - A previous cart cut for less $$?

Silver Eagle - almost bought this last year, might as well get it this year.

Guardian Angel - wanted to pick one up in person to get a nice looking, good sized one, but WTH.

The rest were all less than $10:

Cameo - a tough one to grow, but I'll give it a shot.

Cracker Crumbs - should've bought one when I was at Green Hills.

Monsoon - almost bought one at Wade & Gatton.

Nancy - on and off my list multiple times.

Platinum Tiara

Prairie Moon - had it, lost it, love the spring color.

Sugar and Spice - on my list and cheaper!!

For anyone interested, I got them at ^%#@%!#$^%#@. (encrypted for your safety and sanity).

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

I wasn't going to buy any this year.... but, I wanted another streaker. So, like Steve, I needed to fill out the order and make it worthwhile paying for shipping. I had a plan to order some streakers from Northern Perennials, but then I found some on Hornbaker's site that I was interested in. So I ordered 6 from Hornbaker's and I'm going to try to be content with that. Holding off on the Northern Perennials for now, and thinking I'll wait and see how many of my hostas come up thriving this spring. I planted out all of my pots, and there were a couple I felt iffy about - because of the root system and/or the location where I planted them. And then a couple of them were eaten by the rabbit shortly after they were planted. We'll see....

This is what I ordered:

ventricosa Aureomaculata

Golden Prayers (thank you mbug for enabling me on this one)

tokudama

Quilting Bee (saw it on the alphabet this year and love it)

Yin

X-cellent (saw it also on this year's alphabet)

Kevj - I wish I could find Sharp Dressed Man, too. I haven't seen it in person, but the pictures are amazing.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kevj, I have Island Breeze, Mighty Mouse and Mini Skirt myself. They are all nice hostas. I like the mouse series and plan to buy more yet. I have Island Breeze in all shade and it still maintains a yellow coloring. I also bought Giantland Blue Banana last year and it looked great right from the start so I will be interested to see your Banana Tree. I also have been looking for Sharp Dressed Man to no avail, so I ordered Sting, which is smaller but similar leaf pattern.

sweet_betsy, I finally broke down and bought Brother Stefan which I have wanted for two years. I have a nice big sun bed to put it in.

sandyslopes, I also bought Sting and I had a Sunset Grooves some years ago and lest year noticed I couldn’t find it anywhere......go figure.

steve, Platinum and Royal Tiara are also ones I want........$$$

debra

• kevj2596
    3 years ago

I managed to locate sharp dressed man at glenbrook farm if you’re still interested!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked kevj2596
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey kevj, thanks for the info, but when I wasn’t able to find SDM I purchased Sting instead. It’s smaller but has a somewhat similar medio leaf pattern.

debra

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Yes- thanks... I’m thinking about it... 😉

3 years ago

OK, which one is which? Enabling minds want to know. (Yeah, its not that hard - because THEY LOOK SO DIFFERENT!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

I would say first pic is Sting then second is Sharp Dresses Man.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • miles10612
    3 years ago

Both are gorgeous plants now I will have to seen which one I should get.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked miles10612
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Great list Debra! that Was a great way to spend some time and money. I have no more room for more here unless something doesn’t return this spring.

Sherry

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Peren, I would agree, Sting then SDM. So tell us steve..... we are dying to know. I think SDM is a larger hosta, but in your pics can’t tell by size.

sherry, how is Zoe????

debra

3 years ago

Yes, Sting, then SDM. In another year it would have been more obvious, but I lost Sting last year. Both were new in 2018.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Thanks for asking Debra! 🥰Zoe ‘s leg is healing marvelously, she’s running in the paths I had to dig in the backyard for my short legged dogs. She’s really fussy about what she will eat because the tumor is taking up precious space in her tummy. I hope she makes it til spring, she likes basking in the sun. She is still a happy girl now.

Sherry

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Awww. (I’m referring to Zoe).

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, let’s pray for an early spring for her....... I it’s funny, I make pathways in the yard for the cats who don’t stay In the house or porch. I am not making them, but Bert my garden guy also shovels the snow and he does it.

debra